Code of Conduct

Default I just bought 5 fragrances...BLIND!

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, and as glad as I am that I've found it, it's really killed me in terms of how much I spend on fragrances. :-P

I've bought the following fragrances on StrawberryNet.com

1. Dolce & Gabbana - Masculine
    2. Sisley - Eau De Campagne
    3. Salvatore Ferragamo - Subtil
    4. Kenzo - L'Eau Par Kenzo
    5. Lancome - Miracle L'Aquatonic Energizing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Dolce & Gabbana - Masculine: I sprayed this on my wrist at a Department Store. I didn't like it too much, but I had a few people comment me on how 'sexy' it smelt. Every now and then, my nose would catch the scent. It didn't smell too bad.

2. Sisley - Eau De Campagne: I bought this based on everyones reviews. Apparently this smells grassy/crushed tomato leaves. It's very fresh and summery. Even though it's currently Autumn here in Australia, I thought I'd buy it anyway.

3. Salvatore Ferragamo - Subtil: Smelt this in the boutique. It smelt very standard in the way that it wasn't a standout fragrance. I found it very watery, fresh, light and aquatic. It's a safe fragrance.

4. Kenzo - L'Eau Par Kenzo: I have no idea how this smells, but alot of people have raved about it on here. Apparently it's fresh and fruity. Which should be interesting considering the only fruity fragrances I have would be Calvin Klein Euphoria, Clinique Happy for Men and possibly Diesel Fuel For Life?

5. Lancome - Miracle L'Aquatonic Energizing: Yet again, I have no idea how this smells like. I bought it purely based on reviews on this forum. Apparently it smells grassy with a touch of citrus and is for the summer.

I hope I've made the right choice - can anybody else back me up haha. I'm interested to see how they all smell. This forum is awesome!
    I hope I can contribute my reviews and opinions with you guys as time goes by :-)

Default Re: I just bought 5 fragrances...BLIND!

I tried to get an assortment of different frags when I began doing the blind purchases, and it worked out fairly well. I don't really think there is a cheap way of becoming a frag aficionado, unless you can sample a large number of them over time (not with magazine samples on paper). The stores that sell a lot of men's frags just don't have enough testers (in terms of variety). I decided to go with cheapo frags that got reviews here, and I can't complain about it. Even when I didn't like the frag, I learned a lot.

thumbs up for Sisley! My summer staple.

Post Thanks / Like

5 blind buys? You are a brave man

Of the 5 you mentioned, I only know the Kenzo and It's a brilliant summer fragrance.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Thanks so much for the prompt reply guys - I'm currently @ work now and I'm so bored. I'm pretty much on these forums everyday reading up on everything.
    Can't wait to try the Kenzo and Sisley fragrances now. The Kenzo one sounds pretty good - it's got a hint of vanilla in it. Should be interesting as I don't own anything with vanilla in it.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I am only familiar with Eau de Campagne and Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic. I didn't like both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Of the 5 you mentioned, I only know the Kenzo and It's a brilliant summer fragrance.
    Kind sir, I like your style! L'eau Par Kenzo is one of my favorites.

I am not trying to sound negative but, I didn't find any of the ones listed as bottle worthy.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes!

I personally would never advocate buying blind or solely based on reviews - everything you read/hear is VERY subjective. But if that works for you, then more power to you! But remember what is most important is what YOU think and feel about the fragrance.

That being said..... I like Eau de Campagne. I think it is a very unique fragrance - fresh and green with the scent of tomato leaves and herbs. It's great for warmer weather.

I think L'Eau Par Kenzo is a very nice citrus/aquatic scent. Nothing extremely special, but a slight step above a lot of the other warmer weather scents of the same genre.

I am not very familiar with the other 3 fragrances you bought, so I really can't comment. But it does seem like all 5 fragrances are geared towards wearing in warm weather months because of their citrus/aquatic notes. My suggestion would be to try sampling some fragrances more suitable for the upcoming winter season - although you didn't say what was already in your wardrobe, so you may already own some.

Good luck with your sampling and future purchases.

Joe
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes!

I personally would never advocate buying blind or solely based on reviews - everything you read/hear is VERY subjective. But if that works for you, then more power to you! But remember what is most important is what YOU think and feel about the fragrance.

That being said..... I like Eau de Campagne. I think it is a very unique fragrance - fresh and green with the scent of tomato leaves and herbs. It's great for warmer weather.

I think L'Eau Par Kenzo is a very nice citrus/aquatic scent. Nothing extremely special, but a slight step above a lot of the other warmer weather scents of the same genre.

I am not very familiar with the other 3 fragrances you bought, so I really can't comment. But it does seem like all 5 fragrances are geared towards wearing in warm weather months because of their citrus/aquatic notes. My suggestion would be to try sampling some fragrances more suitable for the upcoming winter season - although you didn't say what was already in your wardrobe, so you may already own some.

Good luck with your sampling and future purchases.

Joe
    Thanks for the detailed reply. :-)

I've currently got [I can't remember all of them, but I'll list what I can remember]:

* Gucci Pour Homme II - I guess this is perfect for winter.
    * Diesel Fuel For Life.
    * Versace Eau Fraiche.
    * Sean John Unforgivable [love it!] & Multiplatinum.
    * Giorgio Armani Aqua Di Gio.
    * Victoria's Secret Very Sexy.
    * Chanel Allure Homme Sport & Cologne version.
    * Calvin Klein Euphoria.
    *Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce - smells horrible to me, but I get alot of compliments from this.

...I know I have more, but that's what I can think of at the top of my head at the moment.

interludeINC21, you need some Gourmands and Fougeres
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh View Post
    Sorry to sound dumb lol, but what's Gourmands and Fougeres?

Post Thanks / Like

Out of what you have (and like), a few I'd suggest are:
    All of the Thierry Mugler fragrances (esp. Mugler Cologne)
    Bvlgari Aqua (I prefer it to Aqua di Gio)
    All of the Burberrys (Londons a favorite but it doesnt last on me!)
    I'll even suggest JPG le Male. Since the weathers been changing here from extremly warm to pretty chilly, I've been wearing this alot more often. Its definately a cold-weather frag, and it actually lasts more than 30 minutes too!

As for blind buys, the only true blind buy I've ever done was with Joop! Nightflight, and I must say it turned out well considerring I've bought 2 bottles since!

Also, since your in Australia too, I'd suggest checking out your local Priceline and Discount Chemist Warehouse. Often they have really great bargains, and are always better priced than Myers / David Jones.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh View Post
    Sorry to sound like a novice, but what's Gourmands and Fougeres?

ETA: Sorry for the double-post. I didn't think my last message went through as the server was busy.
    Last edited by interludeINC21; 22nd April 2008 at 04:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I can almost conjure up that D&G Masculine scent. I was wondering about getting that one some years back but have procrastinated.

The only real blind buy I've done recently was Tom Ford's Black Orchid edp. Nowadays the only blind buys I do are of 1 ml samples. You should try it - you'll really like those small candies that sometimes come in the packages!

I'd recommend: luckyscent.com, theperfumedcourt.com, http://fishbonefragrances.blogspot.com/, AND
    http://shop.lessenteurs.com/index.ht...2P2OEaeHHCWYU=

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you like them all, of course, Interlude, but I'll say you've got one of my next buys in that Sisley. I've always liked that--best example of summer daylight smell there is. Really good one.

Welcome to the forum! There's bound to be one or two you don't really go for in any five, so be prepared for that, but in an objective sense I don't think there's anything wrong with any of your five selections. None are BAD, and all are certainly workable and have made thousands if not tens of thousands of others before you happy. No shame in any of those five.
    Best, and let us know how they first few days's wearings of each go.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Will do - I'll be sure to post up some reviews about each fragrance once I try them on.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I hope you like them all, of course, Interlude, but I'll say you've got one of my next buys in that Sisley. I've always liked that--best example of summer daylight smell there is. Really good one.

Welcome to the forum! There's bound to be one or two you don't really go for in any five, so be prepared for that, but in an objective sense I don't think there's anything wrong with any of your five selections. None are BAD, and all are certainly workable and have made thousands if not tens of thousands of others before you happy. No shame in any of those five.
    Best, and let us know how they first few days's wearings of each go.
    --Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by interludeINC21 View Post
    *Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce - smells horrible to me, but I get alot of compliments from this.
    Lmao!

Great choices except for Ferragamo Subtil, I find the original Ferragamo much better. But why would you buy them blind? I mean you can go and try them at any store. Also, you say that you did not care for some of them. Then why bother?

D&G Masculine is one of my summer favorites. It wears like a dream and I get compliments all the time. It's so relaxed and fresh. Some may say it's boring or simple, but I think it's the best of its genre (herbal/citrus). I'm going to commit blasphemy and say that it kicks the ass of YSL Pour Homme Concentree. Absolutely perfect.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by interludeINC21 View Post
    Sorry to sound like a novice, but what's Gourmands and Fougeres?

ETA: Sorry for the double-post. I didn't think my last message went through as the server was busy.
    From Wikipedia:

Fougère: Meaning Fern in French, built on a base of lavender, coumarin and oakmoss. Many men's fragrances belong to this family of fragrances, which is characterized by its sharp herbaceous and woody scent.

Gourmand: scents with "edible" or "dessert"-like qualities. These often contain notes like vanilla and tonka bean, as well as synthetic components designed to resemble food flavors.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread