Code of Conduct

Talking Finding new Winter Scents - results

Well hello! After getting so many wonderful wonderful recommendations on my thread about winter scents I've finally had the chance to go out and try some! These are only the scents I was able to test in retail stores, so of course there's PLENTY more to go!

Un Bois Vanille - SL: Have been wanting to try this one forever! I finally got a chance in a MECCA store. My hand shook with trepidation as I picked up the tester bottle to spray on the back of my left hand. Immediately out of the bottle and.... I was in love! This was truly love at first sniff! I had a feeling I would like this one, and almost had hoped I wouldn't (due to the price)! It was sweet and wonderful just how I like, but it felt more grown up than the usually sugar vanilla type of fragrance I love. This one felt more mature and grown-up, and I felt like I could smell the woods - that wonderful smell of burning logs on a campfire. Even once I was home I was stuck smelling the back of my hand. Now, anyone know where this can be had for something less intimidating than $150?

Ambre Sultan - SL: A very rich and lavish scent, I went in there with no expectations for what I might smell. I'm still not really sure what to think of it. It felt old-fashioned (note that I am not saying it is 'old' or 'old ladyish' for it is neither of these), as if it comes from a time way in the past. It brought to mind an old treasure-filled attic in a beautiful wooden house in the forest. Though not for me, I can appreciate that this is a wonderful scent, and only a few whiffs brought lovely imagery to my mind!

Douce Amere - SL: Strangely enough this one really just... didn't leave an impression on me. I'm sure it must be lovely but it simply felt like 'generic perfume no.163'. I don't really know what happened there. I'm hoping to retry later and see if I can get something out of it.

Falling in Love - Philosophy: Such cute little bottles! I found it on the Philosophy display which all looked realy nice together. The SA told me that the Philosophy scents were very fresh, and that is certainly what I noticed most when I tried this one! EXTREMELY fresh and clean. I've never smelt something quite this fresh before. Sadly I really just couldn't smell the vanilla or musky blackberry (which I was searching for) as it was all just overwhelmed with this extreme freshness.

Gaultier2: Tried this one on the back of my right hand. POW!! Now this is a power scent alright! Straight out of the bottle it was like being punched in the nose by this fragrance. Very sweet - my friend likened it to bubblegum. Now, this being a unisex scent, I felt it was more on the feminine side, but I could certainly feel some masculine elements. I think if I smelt this in passing on someone else I would enjoy it, but on me it's just too constantly strong, and begins to feel sickly and headachey after some time. Also is very difficult to scrub off.

Dolce Vita - Dior: Now this is my third sniffing of this lovely scent I believe, and I like it more every time I try it! It is now on my 'must have' list. It's a rather unusual sort of scent and I feel like I could wear it any time and to any occasion. VERY pleasant with sweetness (but not too much), slight woodsiness, and a slight bite to it with that cinnamon note. There's a lot going on here but it just works, and I love it.

Hypnotic Poison: So many people recommended it on the Winter scent thread that I felt my initial impression must be wrong. So I gave it another go. I'm sorry, I just can't love this one (though I adore the poison bottles, and red is my favourite colour)! No matter how many times I smell it, I just get a very artificial, plasticy sugared vanilla scent and I can't seem to get past that.

Cinema - YSL: There was a very pushy SA hovering over me as I tried YSL scents, but I just tried to politely let her know that I would ask her if I needed her help. So, with her eyes on me like a hawk, I tested out Cinema for the second time now. While I feel this is a pleasant enough scent I never seem to get that 'wow' factor I get from other fragrances when I truly fall in love! It's warm, it's vanilla and I do like it... but it doesn't seem to stand out from the crowd enough. I think I'd be happy to own this, but I wouldn't buy it for myself.

Yvresse - YSL: Now here is a truly interesting scent! The SA disdainfully told me that it is "very unusual" as if trying to ward me away before I tried... odd. I did not find this to be unusual in any sort of negative way. I really enjoyed its strange fruityness! It felt fizzy and uplifting like soda, with sweetness (but not enough to be sickly). This is one I definitely plan to revisit and try on skin, so I can see what it's like over time. Happily, this is one I probably never would have tried of my own accord, and even by the notes it didn't seem promising. I guess in this case the lesson is to never pass judgement until you try!

Amour - Kenzo: I tried this about a month ago and rather like it, so I thought I would revisit it. I must admit that I find the bottle terribly ugly but I'm willing to overlook that for a stellar fragrance. This is very pretty and sweet, but so light! The drydown is very beautiful, but I wonder how long this lasts. The next thing to do is to try it on skin and see how long it stays. I was thinking about this one as a Winter scent for my mother, but I'm really not sure about that with how light it is...

There were some more that I sniffed, but they didn't leave much of an impression on me. These were the fragrances on cards thrust under my nose by an overenthusiastic SA (Chloe, YSL Elle, Sheer Veil, Daisy to name a few). I also tried a couple of Chanel's that get raves here but as with all Chanels I've ever tried I just didn't like them.

So as you can see, this was a rather busy day of sniffing! I'm very excited about Un Bois Vanilla, Dolce Vita and Yvresse - I can see them joining my collection soon if I can find some good prices. I'll be adding further to this the more I sniff! Have yet to order from luckyscent, but every day I get more and more tempted to put my samples order through...

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Finding new Winter Scents - results

Great reviews Tavorna - yes UBV is lovely. If you get a chance, please try Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille also. It's IMO even better than UBV. Sadly, it's even more expensive. Just call me the Luxury Vanilla Enabler.

And yes, Gauliter 2 = bubblegum. Specifically Grape Bubble Yum.

Wow noice reviews Tavorna - I like your taste in scents Pity about the Hypnotic Poison though.

Hmm I thought I would love Spiritueuse Double Vanille but it didn't really work on me - reminded me of this $4 Evoke bodyspray which was popular amongst my friends in early high school. Tis much better on my guy but still gives me those associations. Love the UBV though! <3
    Last edited by jillsy; 22nd April 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Very pleased with your choices and the fact that you have chosen to share them! I am the one who has been having an off and on relationship with HP, somehow it does not like me to pieces and has too much "oomph" to be a total favorite.

Yvresse (I had Champagne) is marvellous with its sparkling mint and violets top and lingering mossy-sweet fruity base, I suppose this is the one that has got me most compliments from strangers. The other two are definite keepers also.

Glad everyone liked my little reviews! I had a lot of fun sniffing all those scents and then putting my thoughts and impressions down in words.

I forgot another one that I tried, recommended by Jillsy; Amorito from The Body Shop. Simple and sweet chocolate scent but VERY delicious! Took me awhile to figure out where the fragrances were in that particular store (they were tucked away in a corner area), but when I found them I discovered those adorable little bottles! I'm not sure which I like more: the cute bottle or the yummy chocolately scent.

Mike: Hehe, what are you doing putting me onto even more expensive perfumes? It does indeed sound lovely. Spiritueuse Double Vanille is on my list to try, but a little more difficult than the fragrances I've tried so far to get ahold of and sample. It shall be one to order online methinks.

Jillsy:
    Thank you! I want to love Hypnotic Poison very much, but somehow it just falls flat with me! I've love to have that adorable red bottle in my collection. That's a shame about the Spiritueuse! Good thing you found some use for it on your guy.

Tang: It seems that HP is a rather finicky sort of beast! For Yvresse I am SO glad this was suggested, as I never would have tried it otherwise! Mmm, and a compliment getter too? Fabulous!!

Kenzo Amour lasts quite a lot of time in my skin.
    Last edited by LaU*; 23rd April 2008 at 07:40 PM.

I love Dolce Vita, I thing it is a magnificent composition. You would definitely enjoy wearing it.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Thank you so much for the reviews!
    I have felt the same way about Yvresse...

This may not be any help, since it's harder to come by and more expensive (Doh!) but Shiseido's Femininite du Bois is a very close relative of Dolce Vita. Same perfumer (Pierre Bourdon) and rumour has it that DV was one of his 'sketches' for FdB that he handed in to Dior as one of a portfolio of ideas for DV. They picked it! (Such good taste.)

This becomes an even nicer little tale, when you add in the nugget that Bourdon's co-creators of FdB were Lutens and Sheldrake and that it is the rootstock from which the famous Lutens 'Bois' series grew. (All this info is gleaned from websites, so if someone spots a mistake, please shout out!)

So since you love UBV and DV you owe it to yourself to track down a sniff of FdB asap. OK?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

LaU, thanks for the heads up on Amour! I had been reading that it was not real long-lasting, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try on my skin. Hope it lasts on me too!

Yes, every time I try Dolce Vita I just love it more, Brielle! It gets better with every sniff and I think a bottle will be joing my collection some time soon...

Castorpollux, I had great fun writing them! Glad you enjoyed. Yvresse is just lovely, I'm really glad I tried it!

Thanks for the history on Dolce Vita and FdB, Wordbird! It's so interesting to know what went on with the creation of the scents I love! I'm definitely on a mission now to track down some Femininite du Bois so I can have a sniff of it. Sounds divine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    This may not be any help, since it's harder to come by and more expensive (Doh!) but Shiseido's Femininite du Bois is a very close relative of Dolce Vita. Same perfumer (Pierre Bourdon) and rumour has it that DV was one of his 'sketches' for FdB that he handed in to Dior as one of a portfolio of ideas for DV. They picked it! (Such good taste.)

This becomes an even nicer little tale, when you add in the nugget that Bourdon's co-creators of FdB were Lutens and Sheldrake and that it is the rootstock from which the famous Lutens 'Bois' series grew. (All this info is gleaned from websites, so if someone spots a mistake, please shout out!)

So since you love UBV and DV you owe it to yourself to track down a sniff of FdB asap. OK?
    Oh wow thanks Wordbird! *scurries off to TPC to search for samples....*