Code of Conduct

Default Results of my Top Five Week

I have had a lot of fun this past week conducting my own version of ‘King of the Mountain’.

I was beginning to feel that my ‘Top Five’ had become entrenched and a little too comfortable in their positions. So each day, for the last eight days, I wore one of my favorites and ‘challenged’ it with a variety of worthy competitors.

The only restriction I placed upon myself was that the fragrances had to still be in production.

If discontinued fragrances had been included, these three would have easily been in my top ten:

Giorgio for Men (1984) - Giorgio Beverly Hills (still my #1 fragrance of all-time)
    Derby - Guerlain
    Macassar - Rochas

This what my top five looked like when I started this review:

1. Vintage Tabarome - Creed
    2. Heritage - Guerlain
    3. Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) - Chanel
    4. Kolnisch Juchten - Parfums Regence
    5. No. 88 - Czech & Speake

This is what my top five (and in the process, my top twenty) looks like now:

1. ‘Vintage’ Tabarome - Creed
    2. No. 88 - Czech & Speake
    3. Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) - Chanel
    4. Kolnisch Juchten - Parfums Regence
    5. New York - Parfums de Nicolai

While my top five survived largely intact, No. 88 has moved into second place replacing Heritage which has been nudged out of the top five by the upstart New York.

The surprising part of this challenge to me is the major reshuffling that has occurred in my choices for the next two tiers of fragrances.

Tabacco Toscano and Cuir Mauresque did not surprise me coming in at #7 and #8. However, I did not expect Domenico Caraceni and Jean Pascal to finish in my top twenty, much less at #10 and #11. Also, I had pretty much forgotten and written off both Guerlain's Vetiver and Green Irish Tweed. I am absolutely stunned that I now have them listed at #19 and #20.

This is the rest of my new top twenty:

6. Heritage EdT & EdP - Guerlain
    7. Tabacco Toscano - Santa Maria Novella
    8. Cuir Mauresque - Serge Lutens
    9. L'Air du Desert Marocain - Tauer Perfumes
    10. Domenico Caraceni pour Homme - Domenico Caraceni
    11. Jean Pascal - Jean Pascal
    12. Royal English Leather - Creed
    13. Black Aoud - Montale
    14. Bois du Portugal - Creed
    15. Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille - Roger & Gallet
    16. Winter Star - Michael Storer
    17. Ambre Sultan - Serge Lutens
    18. Kouros - Yves Saint Laurent
    19. Vetiver - Guerlain
    20. Green Irish Tweed - Creed

Honorable Mention - alphabetically by house (because, to me, they all deserve to be ranked #21):

Acqua di Parma Colonia - Acqua di Parma
    Azzaro pour Homme - Azzaro
    L'Anarchiste - Caron
    Yatagan - Caron
    Egoiste - Chanel
    Avignon (Series 3: Incense) - Commes des Garcons
    1776 Russian Leather - Elsha
    Caravelle Epicee - Frapin
    Gentleman - Givenchy
    Bogart pour Homme - Jacques Bogart
    Juozas Statkevicius - Juozas Statkevicius
    Knize Ten - Knize
    Krizia uomo - Krizia
    Mazzolari Lui - Mazzolari
    Black Tourmaline - Olivier Durbano
    Ormonde Man - Ormonde Jayne
    Blenheim Bouquet - Penhaligon's
    Polo - Ralph Lauren
    Richard James EdT(Savile Row) - Richard James
    Acqua di Cuba - Santa Maria Novella
    Tiffany for Men - Tiffany

I may have to do this again sometime!

Update 05/15/09 - Revised Top Ten:

Giorgio for Men
    Vintage Tabarome
    Czech & Speake No.88
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955)
    Kolnisch Juchten (Parfums Regence)
    Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme (aka 1913)
    L'Air de Rien
    New York
    Heritage
    Town & Country (vintage)
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 15th May 2009 at 05:36 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: Results of my ‘Top Five’ Week

Good stuff, I was paying attention to your SotD posts this past week and was curious by the end of the week what you had on for Day 1. I was going to look at past SotD threads but it was too cumbersome, so I was hoping you'd do a write-up. Heritage got knocked out, what an upset! Now, will your top 5 be different next week?

There are some super fragrances in those lists, TwoRoads.
    Great choices.

Hi!
    Interesting work, specially good practical criteria: BE IN PRODUCTION!

I thoroughly enjoyed this post.

Good stuff! I really need to do the same sometime... or perhaps just make sure I try everything in my wardrobe once again. Sometimes we get stuck on the same handful, but really I need to go to the back shelf and find those treasures that were so nice when first tried - chances are they are serious competition for my current top 5! Thanks again for the good summary!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Great list. What criteria did you use in evaluating the fragrances that made your top twenty list?

Wow ..... I never considered ever doing this with my goodies .. Great reading ...

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Awesome job Scentfather.
    As always I look to my esteemed scent elders to lead the way for the novices.
    It is this kind of systematic study that really helps a newbie like me understand the differences that can inspire the choices we make.
    Bravo TwoRoads!!!!
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by uli View Post
    What criteria did you use in evaluating the fragrances that made your top twenty list?
    How does anyone objectively analyze something so subjective as fragrance?

If you and I sampled and ranked the same twenty fragrances, our lists would be completely different.

That said, I did not set a predetermined structure of, for example, 'choosing at least one from each family' but I was cognizant of their family heritage. I relied primarily upon my nose and some limited blind testing courtesy of my wife - who puts up with me!

In some sense, it came down to splitting hairs: 'if I could only take 20 fragrances' then 'if I could only take 19 fragrances', then 18 fragrances, etc.

To give a little more perspective on my project, these are some of the notable (and truly excellent) fragrances that are in my wardrobe but not included on my list: Havana, Cuiron, Antaeus, Zino, JHL, Santal Noble, Aramis 900, Habit Rouge, Parfum d'Habit, Dunhill '34, Bel Ami, Chergui, Daim Blond, Musc Ravageur, Eau Sauvage, Rose 31, Monk, Voleur de Roses, Idole de Lubin, LV Uomo, Blue Amber, Acier Aluminum, Ambre Cannelle, C&S Cuba, Royale Heroes, mb03, G 11, Isfarkand and Terre d'Hermes.

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost