Code of Conduct

Default *Blind buy frenzy!* Please check my 'shopping cart' before I "checkout."

It's time for me to go on a "BLIND BUYING FRENZY" to renovate my dusty 'drobe. So... please help me out by evaluating my choices so far. What should I replace? What should I remove? What should I add?

I live in Thailand so choices are pretty limited. People here are mostly restricted to department store designer frags. (We do have Creed but that's about as niche as it gets) This, for me, makes sampling frags harder. My friend is visiting Thailand from the States and I'm planning to order some stuff there.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Blind Buys:
    * Comme Des Garcons Odeur 51 (chose this over 71 due to more positive reviews)
    * Comme Des Garcons Incense: Kyoto (chose this over Avignon from reviews)
    * Comme Des Garcons Vettiveru
    * Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (I sampled this many years ago but I can't remember how it smelled like)
    * Hanae Mori HM (EDT or EDP?)
    * CK One Scene (clearance price)
    * Comme Des Garcons 2 (I already have GPH so chose this over 2MAN as people said they're similar)

Not Blind:
    * Creed Millesime Imperial (choosing it over Unforgivable.. lol)
    * Gucci Pour Homme II (works really well on my skin)

... And I haven't bought fragrances for a VERY VERY long time too. So I might as well just go overboard and rejuvenate my wardrobe. =) Oh! and I'm 20 years old, but my nose is pretty "open-minded."

I am more of a nocturnal person. I go out in the evening and night more often than in the daytime.

And no, I don't like Kouros at all.

Thanks a million in advance for your help.

Default Re: *Blind buy frenzy!* Please check my 'shopping cart' before I "checkout."

I also like Kyoto over Avignon - av. is just too churchy for me.
    Lolita is heavy on the black licorice - thats all I can remember
    HM doesnt appeal to me at all. There is too much going on in there.
    MI is in my top five, and Gucci 2 is a great peppery scent I really enjoy.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Sur la Plage

Default Re: *Blind buy frenzy!* Please check my 'shopping cart' before I "checkout."

I think you have some good choices there. I personally prefer Avignon over Kyoto - just because I feel it has more of an incense scent (and I like the smell of church incense). I have the HM EDT and love it - I have not sampled the HM EDP. Also, I am not familiar with CK One Scene, so I can't comment.

For night time, how about:

YSL - M7
    Christian Dior - Dior Homme
    Gucci - Envy for Men
    Rochas - Lui
    Michael Kors - Michael for Men
    Tom Ford - Black Orchid

I would sample before you buy though.

Happy shopping!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 23rd April 2008 at 11:47 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

everything looks good...my only reservation is HM because i bought it, and then returned it because it is way too sweet for me, but if that is your thing, its still a very well made frag!

i also second michael kors for men...classy, sexy and masculine
    Last edited by jdnba; 22nd April 2008 at 05:10 PM.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Hey! Having some fun there ha? I hope you're getting good prices for them.
    There are many other recommendations to make but don't know what site you're on. However, with what I see of your selections, and your reasons, you're doing good if these would work in your climate. Except I would drop the CK one! You can always do better than that.
    CdG 2 is awsome and unparalleled and better than 2 MAN but you'll end up buying both in the end. : 0
    Kyoto is better than Avignon but Jaisalmer is even better. I wish Kyoto was sweeter and less piney in the base.
    Vettiveru is great. Can't go wrong with that.
    CdG Odeurs not my cup of tea but great otherwise. That house is something else.
    Gucci PHII, O.K. if you say it works for you. Just doesn't excite me.
    LLAM is great with licorice, some bitter/green notes, and a praline candy note. Very satisfying.
    HM is great: EDT a bit brighter with lemon, less sweet, lighter on chocolate; and EDP less lemon more chocolate and vanilla but both with beautiful floral components.
    MI not my thing. I'd go for SMW, Himalaya, or GIT.
    Have fun and enjoy!
    RM
    Last edited by Renaissance_Man; 22nd April 2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: completed list

You know - you could just get generous decants from the Perfumed Court? If so - have at it and let your nose decide.

If you are buying BOTTLES? Thats pushing $800-1000!!
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

The CdG Odeur series is something that I would definitely not blind buy. Otherwise the list looks pretty decent.

If I were you, I'd take Unforgivable instead of Millesime Imperial and choose Hinoki over Kyoto.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I can't comment on many of these.

Comme Des Garcons Odeur 51 and Odeur 71 I tried for the first time last week, and I was seriously underwhelmed. If you are trying for freshness in hot Thai weather, I'm not sure these would be much good.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin a long lasting sweet licorice wood scent which has always grabbed me.

Hanae Mori HM - I have the EDT, and I've never really liked it much. But women liked it in my unmarried days, which is always important. And it is fairly fresh, which makes it even more suitable for your sort of weather.

Renato

For those you haven't tried, I recommend (as others) to get decants or samples. I would not recommend blind buys.

I am not gonna enable your blind buying... it is disrispectfull for fragrances.

(However, I can PM you an adress to dispose the EDTs you do not like )

Personally, Odeur 53 is not worthy of the money (it is in fact an anti-fragrance), and Au Masculin I would run a mile from... unless you like sticky cloying anise. *coff*

Otherwise you've some gems amongst the rest!

I agree with Renaissance Man about preferring Jaisalmer over both Avignon and Kyoto, although all three are very good. If it is possible where you are to obtain samples of the whole CdG Incense series before you buy one, I think that would be best. Each one in that series has its fans, although I think Avignon and Kyoto are the biggest sellers.

Some of your more controversial blind buys are ones readily found in department stores. The Lolita Eau Masculin, Hanae Mori, and a couple others... don't blind buy those before you make a quick trip to the shopping center nearest you. Hmmm... it's hard to recommend any of these as blind buys actually. Vettiveru is totally inoffensive and if you like light fragrances it will be great for you. That and Kyoto are hard to imagine anyone REALLY not liking... the rest are a bit risky.

A side note, I was TOTALLY intrigued by CdG 2... all the mystique revolved around it, the bottle, etc... BUT I found that, in PERSON, after reading all the reviews, it can be VERY perfumy on some men, and it's a little feminine on my skin, if you don't mind me using that antiquated term. I only mention this because it surprised me as I really expected it to be firmly unisex. But whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have fun with so best of luck
    Last edited by nthny; 23rd April 2008 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Personally, Odeur 53 is not worthy of the money (it is in fact an anti-fragrance), and Au Masculin I would run a mile from... unless you like sticky cloying anise. *coff*

Otherwise you've some gems amongst the rest!
    Hey - Lempicka was the scent I wore on my wedding day! I liked it so mauch I have two bottles.

It has a strong smell of licorice wood is wood, not the aniseedy smell of say Armani Remix - which I happen to be wearing today.
    Renato

Hi Renato - didn't mean to rain on your parade... didn't fredricktoo also say he wore this on his big day? I cant quite remember...
    Anyhow, all I wanted to suggest is that Anise/Licorice is not a scent favored by many - and may be a risky blind buy.