Code of Conduct

Default Orientals in the summertime..

Ok, not necessarily orientals, but are there any heavy perfumes that you often seen marketed for 'evening' or 'winter' but you wear them with equal success (or maybe they even work better for you) in the daytime or hot weather?

Default Re: Orientals in the summertime..

I like D & G red cap for hot summer nights out

I prefer the fruity, citrusy scents in the summer time. With all the heat and every thing feeling muggy, it is great to smell fresh.
    Last edited by carterc; 22nd April 2008 at 07:56 PM.
    "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

http://www.perfumecenter.com/

Dune would work great for summer.

Using a really light hand L'heure Bleue edp is wonderful in dry periods of summer as well as Creed's Vanisia, Chanel's Egoiste, Parfum de Nicolai 's Sacrebleue, Caron's Montaigne, Escada Collection and Margaretha Ley.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    Using a really light hand L'heure Bleue edp is wonderful in dry periods of summer as well as Creed's Vanisia, Chanel's Egoiste, Parfum de Nicolai 's Sacrebleue, Caron's Montaigne, Escada Collection and Margaretha Ley.

Yes, L'Heure Bleue (pdt in my case) can work surprisingly well in summer. I'd always put it away until fall, but I happily wore it last summer.

It's funny because the frags that I love and smell great on me in the winter just don't have the same effect for me in the summer. I tried on L'Artisan's Dzongkha last week. Man did it smell good on me, but I would never wear it in the summer. I will be getting a bottle for next winter for sure.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I'll second Dune. I wear it almost only in summer.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I second Dolce & Gabbana (red) for hot summer nights. It's perfect although it is a heavy perfume.
    Last edited by Frenchie Day; 23rd April 2008 at 10:20 AM.

This spring I have been attracted to Angel, Musc Ravageur, Eugenie, George Sand, and surprise surprise, Third Man. These are all rather rich scents, but the warmer weather seems to just give them a nice edge, like effect of toasting bread ever so lightly.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    This spring I have been attracted to...Third Man...
    Good choice.

Shalimar, and Chamade wear well in the summer, but I prefer to go towards a floral scent in the summer.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

I wear orientals all year. I try to get into the florals, and I think I want to wear them, but I find that when they heat up they smell....like hot, cooked flowers! Orientals just blend with my chemistry: they are warm, like a second skin.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I tend to wear my orientals the whole year,but particular ones that work fine for me during summer are L'heure bleue edp (brought this one on summer holiday last year),Egoiste( a hit last summer )but also Jicky + Hypnotic Poison,JPG Classique,CK Contradiction,Attraction and L by Lolita Lempicka.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 24th April 2008 at 04:02 AM.

L 'Heure Bleue edt
    Douce Amere, a fresh oriental

Anne Pliska is one I almost exclusively wear in summer. This very ambery scent (notes of bergamot, amber, patchouli, geranium, musk and vanilla) smells somewhat fruity and fresh on me.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
    Ok, not necessarily orientals, but are there any heavy perfumes ....you wear them with equal success (or maybe they even work better for you) in the daytime or hot weather?
    Yes. See above BNer posts. All of them.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 24th April 2008 at 12:05 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

thanks for all your lovely answers ! i love orientals but always feel self-conscious wearing them in warm weather. now i know it can be done i will experiment some more, and try some of these you mention :-)

Most of the time, I wear whatever I'm in the mood for without regard for time of year esp. as we spend so much of our time indoors in artificial environments. Sometimes I'm looking for a specific effect, e.g., a cold citrussy splash is refreshing when coming indoors on a hot summer day. Generally, I think any oriental blooms best in summer - and florals are best to me in cold weather. The warmth and humidity in summer accelerates the life cycle of a fragrance on my skin, and I get all kinds of things in orientals that I may miss on a colder day. When it's really hot and humid and I must be out of doors (ugh!), I don't want any fragrance at all. On a humid summer evening, I like lush tropical scents. So in answer to your question - by all means enjoy orientals in the summertime! :-)

p.s. I just bought Shalimar eau de Cologne for summer. It goes through all the Shalimar permutations (with the addition of leather and smoke, to my nose), but dries down more quickly and just leave that lovely vanillic Shalimar skin scenty quality behind. Very, very nice!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 24th April 2008 at 03:33 PM.