Code of Conduct

Default Please help me decide: Domenico Caraceni or Czech & Speake No. 88

I'm continuing a spate of these threads but please chip in if you have thoughts.
    I'm trying to choose between DC and No. 88., have samples of both and have given both several full wearings. And after weeks the jury is still out.
    Both have rose and frankincense, although the frankincense in No. 88 is much more prominent and a bit sweeter. DC is drier, more a gentleman's scent. The head shop theme is toned down in DC and qualified by the tobacco and dry citrus. DC smoked pot in school and still does on occasion but would be careful to air out its suit before wearing it to a meeting; No.88 looks at you pityingly when you agree to lend it money but looks natural in silk scarves and can afford them.
    But anyway, now this is my left brain taking over, please offer any advice that occurs to you about how to distinguish the two and which you find better/more useful/whatev.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 22nd April 2008 at 09:48 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Please help me decide: Domenico Caraceni or Czech & Speake No. 88

DC is like a more refined C&S. DC is more subtle and what I have never liked about 88 is its in your face blast.

I have been exploring rose scents for months.

Czech & Speake No. 88 and Domenico Caraceni pour Homme are two of my favorites - both are in my top ten.

I would not want to be without either one but, if I had to choose, it would be No. 88.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Re: Please help me decide: Domenico Caraceni or Czech & Speake No. 88

That's tough - both are ridiculously good. Still, I would have to go for No. 88. Domenico Caraceni is amazing fragrance, blended to absolute perfection, yet I don't think it's quite as unusual as the Czech & Speake scent. While I cannot name a fragrance that would actually be similar to Domenico Caraceni, it does have this certain gentlemanly feel to it, a certain character that it shares with other fragrances. No. 88 on the other hand has absolutely unique feel to it. To my nose it's also somewhat clearer than DC; there seems to be more space between the notes. I also prefer it's rose accord, It's more earthy, natural, fresh and raw, something I enjoy more than a tad sweeter, softer and warmer approach of DC.

Basenotes Institution

No. 88

Czech & Speake No. 88 is the one that works best for me.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

don't choose. buy both. you will be happy that you did.

I......can't.........choose........ these are two of my absolute favorites.
    You have their aura's down pat in your description.
    If I had to choose one right now, I'd pick the DC. Ask me tomorrow and I'd tell you #88. Can you choose just one? Will you be happy until you get both??? :-)

In addition to the excellent observations above, I should add that there is something in No. 88 that brings out a sense of melancholy in me. On the other hand, when I wear DC, I feel no sense of melancholy; I rather feel entitled to belong to the most exclusive of clubs.

Because of the masterly blending of its ingredients and the emotional response it evokes in me, I prefer No. 88 to DC. However, I don't wear No. 88 as often as I wear DC. If you want something to wear on a regular basis, DC would be more appropriate than No. 88. As you already know, this is merely a personal preference.

What excellent responses! A heartfelt thanks!
    Johnny_Ludlow, what you say about DC feeling less unique that No.88 seems right on, although I love it too and would have both if it weren't for the mortgage. You actually make me realize that the tobacco note, which I wasn't sure if I cd really identify, is familiar from none other than Guerlain Vetiver. Does anyone else see this connection? I mean the rose/frankincense on the one hand and the vetiver/citrus on the other are much more prominent, but still there's that clear (I think) connection. And your thing about space between the notes, well said.
    uli, what you say about the melancholy feeling of No.88 helps me recognize something, too. Maybe this is why some people have the Dracula/gothic association? Not sure if this is finally a good thing or a bad thing, probably neither, but I do tend to wear things more often when they deliver some sort of clear experience, rather than the irreproachable but wallflowerish frags.
    Thanks to all and please keep the ideas coming.

A bonus question...

If one really likes Domenico Caraceni, should they try Ivy League before buying the original?

I just tried DC a few days ago and it was an instant YES - One that I know will fit right in with my collection. I'm imagining that Ivy League is probably in the same realm... and that I'll really like it.

I just LOVE green fragrances!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Both get rave reviews from a lot of members, but I don't care for either. If I had to pick one between the two, I'd go with DC. It's mostly a tobacco and rose mix which comes off sort of okay, but I don't love it. No. 88 smelt a bit out-dated for me.

Good Luck and go with what you like....

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    A bonus question...

If one really likes Domenico Caraceni, should they try Ivy League before buying the original?

I just tried DC a few days ago and it was an instant YES - One that I know will fit right in with my collection. I'm imagining that Ivy League is probably in the same realm... and that I'll really like it.

I just LOVE green fragrances!
    No. Ivy League is a forgettable and unremarkable scent, it's literally a complete other league.

OT, my vote goes to DC. I just like the rose note in this one better.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Ivy League is a forgettable and unremarkable scent, it's literally a complete other league.
    I agree completely.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    A bonus question...

Ivy League is nice, but it's nothing like DC. It's extremely citrus/lemon prominent. I think it compares nicely to say...Acqua Viva by Profumum or another lemon/citrus prominent scent.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd April 2008 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    No. Ivy League is a forgettable and unremarkable scent, it's literally a complete other league.

OT, my vote goes to DC. I just like the rose note in this one better.
    Add another one. One would NEVER guess that Ivy League is from DC if you've tried the original.
    A soapy, green synthetic. Gendarme is better than Ivy League for almost a third of the price.