Code of Conduct

Default Eau de Caron Forte questions

I was checking around basenotes for a good spring/summer scent, and Eau de Caron Forte (by Caron, for those who are daft) caught my eye. I have been very pleased with all the Caron purchases I have made so far, and they are inexpensive, which is important right now.

This is what confused me: People on basenotes love Caron. Here is an inexpensive fragrance from a well-respected house, and only 3 people have reviewed it. Is there some reason that this frag has been ignored? I could understand it getting ignored if people had "meh" reactions to it, but the 3 reviews are very positive.

Anyone tried Eau de Caron Forte and have any impressions for me before I decide to blind-buy it to satisfy my curiosity?

Default Re: Eau de Caron Forte questions

I bought it and really disliked it. I ended up giving it to my wife and she rarely used it and I don't have a clue where it ended up.
    I too thought it would be a great scent from the house of Caron and was really disappointed.
    It's just a very generic, citrus/fruity blend that offers nothing interesting to me what so ever. It had no longevity to speak of either.
    I love Tabac Blond, Poivre, PuH, Le3rdHomme, L'Anarchiste, etc. but Forte does not come close IMO.
    As always YMMV and I hope it does!
    Most importantly, welcome to Basenotes!

Eric

The lack of reviews probably indicates that relatively few members have sampled this fragrance - we are certainly not at a loss of words around here.

I have never tried Eau de Caron Forte. In fact, I had never even heard of it until your post. I have not seen it in any retail store.

I suspect that I am not the only member who is in this situation.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I had the same question a while ago. You might want to do a search under Caron Eaux's, etc.
    I'm a BIG fan of Caron and was considering buying some of these (there are 3) but was informed that they are really very generic with no longevity, and aren't worth it. I trust the posters who advised me.

If you're looking for something relatively inexpensive in the realm of fruity/citrus summer scents, there's a lot to choose from out there (I'm sure Caron will forgive us for this blasphemy).

There were three bottles in this series called, 'eaux' but after a few weeks with them I was left to conclude that eaux translated means, "oops". The fact that they are inexpensive coming from a house that has no shame in asking for your money should be a tiny red light blinking on your dashboard. The fact that they are hardly mentioned and barely reviewed here should be a huuuuuuge red banner flappling loudly in a stiff breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I bought it and really disliked it. I ended up giving it to my wife and she rarely used it and I don't have a clue where it ended up.
    I too thought it would be a great scent from the house of Caron and was really disappointed.
    It's just a very generic, citrus/fruity blend that offers nothing interesting to me what so ever. It had no longevity to speak of either.
    I love Tabac Blond, Poivre, PuH, Le3rdHomme, L'Anarchiste, etc. but Forte does not come close IMO.
    As always YMMV and I hope it does!
    Most importantly, welcome to Basenotes!

Eric
    I agree. In fact, measured by the expectations I had, it was awful. A sticky artificial fruit-flavor mess, like a kiddie fragrance. The Caron Cologne is not quite as bad, but decidedly not earth-shattering and miles from a really good EdC. IMO this is entry-level stuff aimed at the young market.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    I was checking around basenotes for a good spring/summer scent, and Eau de Caron Forte (by Caron, for those who are daft) caught my eye. I have been very pleased with all the Caron purchases I have made so far, and they are inexpensive, which is important right now.

This is what confused me: People on basenotes love Caron. Here is an inexpensive fragrance from a well-respected house, and only 3 people have reviewed it. Is there some reason that this frag has been ignored? I could understand it getting ignored if people had "meh" reactions to it, but the 3 reviews are very positive.

Anyone tried Eau de Caron Forte and have any impressions for me before I decide to blind-buy it to satisfy my curiosity?
    I have a bottle and wear it sometimes. I like it very much. I like others like Bigarade Concentree and L' eau Neuve by Lubin better, but I think for the price which you mentioned is important, Eau de Caron Forte is a bargain and under appreciated. Get a bottle, you'll bottle happy you did.

I would agree with the sentiments voiced here. I've tried each of them extensively and just don't see the point. They don't have good longevity, and they seem to have a metallic "screechy" note in the drydown that is annoying.

If you want a good cologne for summer, I would recommend one of the other classics like Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale or Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.

Teddius

Basenotes Institution

Some of the Caron's are ghastly on my skin. Now, I realize, I'm not in the minority.

This is why I love Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    I would agree with the sentiments voiced here. I've tried each of them extensively and just don't see the point. They don't have good longevity, and they seem to have a metallic "screechy" note in the drydown that is annoying.

If you want a good cologne for summer, I would recommend one of the other classics like Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale or Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.

Teddius
    Problem is, even though I like many older colognes, a lot of them seem to work better when one is slightly dressed up, or at least 35 years old. Since I am only 23 (and a youthful 23 at that) and generally in jeans and a t-shirt, I require something with more of a casual feel than a lot of those tend to have.

I of course wouldn't be opposed to suggestions that fit that criteria, though it isn't the topic of the thread