Code of Conduct

Default Eau de Caron Forte questions

I was checking around basenotes for a good spring/summer scent, and Eau de Caron Forte (by Caron, for those who are daft) caught my eye. I have been very pleased with all the Caron purchases I have made so far, and they are inexpensive, which is important right now.

This is what confused me: People on basenotes love Caron. Here is an inexpensive fragrance from a well-respected house, and only 3 people have reviewed it. Is there some reason that this frag has been ignored? I could understand it getting ignored if people had "meh" reactions to it, but the 3 reviews are very positive.

Anyone tried Eau de Caron Forte and have any impressions for me before I decide to blind-buy it to satisfy my curiosity?

Default Re: Eau de Caron Forte questions

I bought it and really disliked it. I ended up giving it to my wife and she rarely used it and I don't have a clue where it ended up.
    I too thought it would be a great scent from the house of Caron and was really disappointed.
    It's just a very generic, citrus/fruity blend that offers nothing interesting to me what so ever. It had no longevity to speak of either.
    I love Tabac Blond, Poivre, PuH, Le3rdHomme, L'Anarchiste, etc. but Forte does not come close IMO.
    As always YMMV and I hope it does!
    Most importantly, welcome to Basenotes!

Eric

The lack of reviews probably indicates that relatively few members have sampled this fragrance - we are certainly not at a loss of words around here.

I have never tried Eau de Caron Forte. In fact, I had never even heard of it until your post. I have not seen it in any retail store.

I suspect that I am not the only member who is in this situation.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I had the same question a while ago. You might want to do a search under Caron Eaux's, etc.
    I'm a BIG fan of Caron and was considering buying some of these (there are 3) but was informed that they are really very generic with no longevity, and aren't worth it. I trust the posters who advised me.

If you're looking for something relatively inexpensive in the realm of fruity/citrus summer scents, there's a lot to choose from out there (I'm sure Caron will forgive us for this blasphemy).
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

There were three bottles in this series called, 'eaux' but after a few weeks with them I was left to conclude that eaux translated means, "oops". The fact that they are inexpensive coming from a house that has no shame in asking for your money should be a tiny red light blinking on your dashboard. The fact that they are hardly mentioned and barely reviewed here should be a huuuuuuge red banner flappling loudly in a stiff breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I bought it and really disliked it. I ended up giving it to my wife and she rarely used it and I don't have a clue where it ended up.
    I too thought it would be a great scent from the house of Caron and was really disappointed.
    It's just a very generic, citrus/fruity blend that offers nothing interesting to me what so ever. It had no longevity to speak of either.
    I love Tabac Blond, Poivre, PuH, Le3rdHomme, L'Anarchiste, etc. but Forte does not come close IMO.
    As always YMMV and I hope it does!
    Most importantly, welcome to Basenotes!

Eric
    I agree. In fact, measured by the expectations I had, it was awful. A sticky artificial fruit-flavor mess, like a kiddie fragrance. The Caron Cologne is not quite as bad, but decidedly not earth-shattering and miles from a really good EdC. IMO this is entry-level stuff aimed at the young market.
    Currently wearing: Mellis by Annette Neuffer

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    I was checking around basenotes for a good spring/summer scent, and Eau de Caron Forte (by Caron, for those who are daft) caught my eye. I have been very pleased with all the Caron purchases I have made so far, and they are inexpensive, which is important right now.

This is what confused me: People on basenotes love Caron. Here is an inexpensive fragrance from a well-respected house, and only 3 people have reviewed it. Is there some reason that this frag has been ignored? I could understand it getting ignored if people had "meh" reactions to it, but the 3 reviews are very positive.

Anyone tried Eau de Caron Forte and have any impressions for me before I decide to blind-buy it to satisfy my curiosity?
    I have a bottle and wear it sometimes. I like it very much. I like others like Bigarade Concentree and L' eau Neuve by Lubin better, but I think for the price which you mentioned is important, Eau de Caron Forte is a bargain and under appreciated. Get a bottle, you'll bottle happy you did.
    CURRENT WINTER ROTATION
    Sicilian Vanilla Attar by Rising Phoenix Perfumery
    Musk Rose by Rising Phoenix Perfumery
    Under My Skin by Francesca Bianchi
    Ummagumma by Bruno Fazzorlari
    Siberian Musk by Areej le Doré
    Ottoman Empire by Areej le Doré
    Homage by Amouage
    Nankun Kodo by Sultan Pasha
    Fragrant Harbour Supreme by Imperial Oud

I would agree with the sentiments voiced here. I've tried each of them extensively and just don't see the point. They don't have good longevity, and they seem to have a metallic "screechy" note in the drydown that is annoying.

If you want a good cologne for summer, I would recommend one of the other classics like Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale or Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.

Teddius

Basenotes Institution

Some of the Caron's are ghastly on my skin. Now, I realize, I'm not in the minority.

This is why I love Basenotes.
    Currently wearing: L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    I would agree with the sentiments voiced here. I've tried each of them extensively and just don't see the point. They don't have good longevity, and they seem to have a metallic "screechy" note in the drydown that is annoying.

If you want a good cologne for summer, I would recommend one of the other classics like Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale or Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.

Teddius
    Problem is, even though I like many older colognes, a lot of them seem to work better when one is slightly dressed up, or at least 35 years old. Since I am only 23 (and a youthful 23 at that) and generally in jeans and a t-shirt, I require something with more of a casual feel than a lot of those tend to have.

I of course wouldn't be opposed to suggestions that fit that criteria, though it isn't the topic of the thread