Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dependent

Default Re: Caron Tabac Blond - Only Ashes Left ?

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    ^^^ I had a decant of the TB freshly bought 2-3 years back and it was a rich amber. The new stuff not only smells dramatically different, but is almost clear. Thanks for your input, but I don't really think it's any color tricks with lights, etc....IMO.
    I didn't say anything about playing tricks with color or lights. You misunderstood what I was talking about. It's called Beer's Law. The transmission of a frequency of light through a transparent container is strongly related to its path length, so it is not a proper comparison to compare color strength of two samples in containers with a different path length. You can read all about it here ... or don't. I explained it as well as I could, and that's all I can be expected to do.

I don't know if this helps any but last week I got a decant from the perfumedcourt of the pure parfum Tabac Blonde. The color is a rich amber color, which may or may not be meaningless.

What is of importance is that the smoke note is quite clear in my decant, never overpowering but always floating around the edges. 2 small sprays to my chest were easily detectable 24 hours later and even a little remained post shower. I could never justify a full bottle of this but I plan on purchasing an 8 or 15 ml decant which will last quite a long time. I assume that if I order this Friday I will have the same batch number as my previous sample or at least I hope I do. Hope this helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Thank you, Helg, for your detailed comments and informeation! If it's only two companies that didn't submit samples for testing to Turin-Sanchez, Montale must be the second. I think it was Turin who explained why no Montale perfumes have been reviewed, saying that Montale refused to send them samples. (I couldn't find the source quickly now, maybe it was on another website).

You're welcome, Narcus.

Yet, according to their Supplement to the Guide newsletter the other company must have been Parfums Del Rae! (which get positive reviews)
    (unless there were more than one company who denied samples, in which case the quote in the Le Labo entry about being "one of only two" is not factually accurate.)

I have three different bottles of Tabac Blond , each of them a decant, and they all smell different. I cannot lie.
    The first one I purchased in 2006 from buffalo gals and is the one I use as a touchstone.
    I keep it in the dark, quiet interior of my nightstand so as to preserve its final bits as long as possible. It sits in the dark with my Madame X and my En Avion, also from buffalo gals, and my vintage Mitsouko and a few other of my precious ones.

Tabac Blond, as I have loved her, is like a slap and a whipcrack and then a smooth silky caressing drydown that seems to last forever, and will always remain so, in my mind.

How long can I hoard the final drops?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Does anybody know whats the difference between vintage Tabac Blond EDC vs EDT?
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Okay, I'm gonna crash that "party of mourning" and revive this thread from 2008. I bought 15ml of Tabac Blond from Paris in early 2010. Initially, I made a big mistake by decanting it into an atomizer as I have now come to figure out that it was completely wrong. It does mean a lot of a difference in perceiving the extrait on my skin. Anyway, back to dabbing I have enjoyed this hugely (after dismissing it before) in the past weeks. I got so curious about all this raving about vintage Tabac Blond that I finally gave in and ordered a sample from TPC together with other must-sample rarities. NOT that I consider myself an expert, but I don't smell much of a difference. The joy for me is about the intial blast, the way the austere iris is then woven into it and a lovely vanilla joining in making it like smelling aromatic tobacco unlit and last but not least ambergris in the base. I can detect a slightly chemical note (I think it is the same as in vintage Habanita), which adds a little extra, but I don't particularly enjoy that chemical note. In general, I admit reducing sweetness just slightly and making it a bit rougher (with castoreum) could end up nicely, indeed.
    Anyway, I REALLY like the current Tabac Blond extrait and I think the main thrill is there. Just my take on this topic.

ADDITION: I'm surprised to read that some state that Tabac Blond extrait was so potent. I find it a quite moderate sillage fragrance, and the vintage form at least as moderate to my perception.
    Last edited by Larimar; 11th October 2010 at 08:04 PM.

Basenotes Institution

My only experience with Tabac Blond is also from a decant from The Perfumed Court of the 'new' stuff and I found it wonderfully substantial and satisfying. I found it worked perfectly worn to a fancy restaurant, you know the kind where you have to wear a dinner jacket. The juice is so 'butch' smelling, it cracks me up that this is a fragrance marketed to women. Ridiculous.

I would kill to smell vintage parfum.

Blog Entries

I love the new edp. I don't think I've mentioned it in this forum yet. I wear it everywhere, anywhere. It's that whisky-gasoline-y opening with a whomping dose of clove about 10 minutes in, then a dirty, leathery finish that lasts the whole day and in any weather. Maybe I'm just lucky.

The new stuff is an excellent leather fragrance. It is completely unrelated to the previous formulation, to my nose. Rather than weaker and more "crowd friendly", I actually find this and the new Poivre to be fiestier versions, at least the new extraits. It's like they've took all the softness and warmth out and focused on their main note ( here leather; in Poivre, clove ). They are really, really not the same, but that doesn't mean they're bad. It's just hard for me to enjoy, say, Poivre, when my memories are of a different fragrance.

To my nose, the older version ( at least prior to the 2008-ish reformulations ) is akin to the leather note in Cuir Ottoman, but much milder, and a soft ambery-balsamic warmth in the background as support. The modern is kind of a mid-point between Knize Ten and Cuir Mauresque, a lot drier, a lot harsher, and with a different and more soapy-powdery than ambery supporting accord. It used to be a leather easy chair, now it's a whip.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I would kill to smell vintage parfum.
    I would wait for another kill to come in the future To my nose, there was not a huge difference, despite so many claiming the opposite. I'm guessing, but I think - given pics further up - that some had EdT or EdP (without knowing) under their nose instead of extrait straight from Caron.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    The new stuff is an excellent leather fragrance.
    It is not on my skin when dabbed. Spraying seems to "unsettle" the iris in it (my perception) and renders it into a leathery fragrance, yes, but not entirely satisfying as such. I think anything but dabbing is utterly wrong with the extrait.

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, CaronŽs product guide says that the formula for Tabac Blond was "reinterpreted" in 1988.
    Add to that the problem with the urns/fountains: As romantic as they are, I see real problems with this system of decanting. The formula in the urn/fountain is constantly changing with the top-ups of the newer formulas. Also the glass fountains let in ultra violette light which drastically affects the quality of perfumes. Okay, in Harrods the fountains donŽt receive much daylight, but there is a small perfumery in Toulon and another boutique in Cannes where the fountains are directly affected by u.v. light.
    It would be great if caron could coat the outside of their fountains in silver colour to alleviate this problem and reflect the heat of the sunlight through the glass - another huge problem for perfume.

Blog Entries

As far as extrait is concerned, I don't find much difference between something from 2010, 2009 or as far back as 2002. Granted it is such an old fragrance, even vintage might mean different things from different eras.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Some years ago I shared with basenoters a formula, which I was assured was the original formula for Tabac Blond. It is very detailed and gives precisely the gramms of each ingredient/chemical compound. I never tried to make the formula, but perhaps it is time for someone to try it out !
    The thread was something like : Tabac Blond The Recipe Here it is !

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Some years ago I shared with basenoters a formula, which I was assured was the original formula for Tabac Blond. It is very detailed and gives precisely the gramms of each ingredient/chemical compound. I never tried to make the formula, but perhaps it is time for someone to try it out !
    The thread was something like : Tabac Blond The Recipe Here it is !
    It sure is an interesting thread, thanks!... but it would be something like a bespoke perfume from a professional perfumer and the cost for a project like this is prohibitive, I think. I'd love to try extrait from this formula, though.

An here I am now, still sitting inside the wrapping of my package - today I received my Xmas AND BD present in one:

A large 50ml bottle of TB Extrait. I have no clue how old it is - but I would guesstimate sometimes around 2009 - 2010.
    It is adorable. Divine. Gorgeous. Sensual, long-lasting. It has such a rich and velvety quality that I can't stop sniffing my wrists...

It is not exactly like the old TB, of which I have old perfume/extrait (1960), newer Extrait ( 1980) and some EdT of about 1970.

These have aged, had time to ripen still and .... not to be forgotten: To LOOSE some of their spirits, and some of their components. Hence they DO smell differently. But NOT better, I would like to emphasize. They are more concentrated due to loss of alcohol - and smell a bit like... yes, old perfume ! Not gone bad, but just this whiff of "old" and "stale" is with them, inspite of the dark and cool storage.

The new stuff is just over the top gorgeous - and will be my bottle to adore, as long as it lasts. It was one lucky find of a lifetime and unless I won't travel to Paris to purchase there at Caron's directly, I won't find another one...
    Somebody please hinder me in bathing in the stuff... or swallowing it. It is too beautiful !
    kind regards,
    La Tanguera
    http://duftreise.blogspot.com/

Thanks SO MUCH (!!!), LaTanguera for these observations! It is exactly how I feel and partly suspected it would be (in contrast to all that mourning the "old Tabac Blond"). I only have a sample of the vintage extrait (which vintage I don't know) from TPC and a decant of the vintage EdT to compare with.
    I don't want to spoil your feeling of exclusiveness, but you can call Paris, Boutique Montaigne anytime and have it shipped to Germany.

Larimar, yes, I know they can ship the stuff to me - but not for the price I paid. Grin, fat dirty grin... - hence THIS was really a find of a lifetime..
    kind regards,
    La Tanguera

Good for you - enjoy!

The new Caron Tabac Blond Extrait happens to be my SOTD today and I quite like it, but the shock was deep when trying it for the very first time on the back of my left hand. Artificial and grey topnotes compared to a lovely floral vintage, but as longer the drydown kicks in, the closer the new one gets to the vintage IMHO. The biggest problem I have right now is that I have no clue if I should order some more or not.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Well - I do have that quite new and actual extrait, and it is ...plushy, soft, velvety from the first moment on. There is nothing grey or faded, nothing strange. It is just pure good and rich TB.
    The EdP (yes, there is an Eau de Parfum) which I own is brand new, freshissismo, so to say. This one starts with a breeze of fresh and green notes, which disappear immediately to make room for the typical TB notes, but far more diluted then the pure extrait.
    I love both, and like to layer them - or to use the EdP as a "fresh me up" throughout the day. Exactly on the points where I applied the extrait, it revives the drydown of the perfume and gives it new life for hours again.
    Can I tell you I am a true sucker for this scent... ?? !!
    kind regards,
    La Tanguera