Code of Conduct

Default 1/3 year update: Biggest winners and losers

Well, this was supposed to be 1/4 year update, but I waited too long and so now it's 1/3 year update (and now you see my mathematical abilities!! )

So... what were your biggest winners for the first 4 months of the year? And what were your biggest losers? (Note, these are things that I have tried or bought since the first of the year!)

For me:

Winners:
    1. Nasomatto Duro and Absinth. Awesome scents, while they don't have great sillage, I love to smell them on me... almost perfect for me.

2. Aigner PH - a very nice and fresh fragrance that is similar to some Creeds (in style) for a lot less! I could easily wear this to work in my office (which it's not acceptable to wear aggressive/powerhouse fragrances!)

3. Chanel Antaeus - one fragrance that I hadn't tried in the past (don't know why... but maybe I thought it too powerful - given it's name), but it's turned into one of my top fragrances in a short time.

4. Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain - I didn't think anything would come close to Vanille 44 by Le Labo, but here it is... not much cheaper either! I hope they will keep making it...

5. G11 by Il Profumo - great vetiver/tobacco fragrance. This might become one of those that challenge my top 5!

6. CdG - Vettiveru - if you haven't tried this fresh vetiver, you're in for a treat!

Losers:
    While I recognize the quality of some of these fragrances, some of them just didn't work for me:

1. Iris Bleu Gris by MPG. I had a sample... I tried the sample several times... it smelled great. Bought the bottle, and it was different from my sample, and disappointingly so...

2. Hermes - Un Jardin Sur Le Nil. Maybe I need to wait for a few more months before trying again... but up to now, just doesn't work for me. Still, I can feel the quality, and a friend (a woman) likes it on her quite a lot!

3. Santos - Cartier: while I didn't buy it, I received it as a gift, but I had hear a lot about it and looked forward to trying it. Wasn't what I thought it would be like... disappointing to me.

4. Rose Poivrée - Different Company. First sniffs were pleasant and interesting. Sample seemed to indicate something more - but when I got the full bottle and did a full wearing, it just wasn't the same, and just seemed to waft away to messy pepper... and mossy/sickly rose.

Checking again in 4 more months!
    Last edited by Schachman; 23rd April 2008 at 01:08 AM.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Default Re: 1/3 year update: Biggest winners and losers

For me, this year has been just one ho-hum scent after another so far. Some cool bottles though ... Juicy is pretty cool as is the Ed Hardy fragrance. Too bad the scents didn't match the bottles. D&G "The One" was OK, but horribly short longevity and no sillage at all on my skin. Tommy Set Sail South Seas wasn't nearly as good as St. Barts. Allure Pour Homme Blanche was just plain disappointing to me. Lasted about 15 minutes on my skin (thankfully). Chrome Legend ... eh, nothing great. Issey Summer 2008 lasted less than half an hour on me and smelled kinda similar to the other Issey scents. Tauer Incense Extreme wound up on my swap list. I thought Escada Moon Sparkle was just plain crap. All in all, a pretty disappointing 1/3 year so far.

I did however find a pleasant $20 purchase (a tester off ebay of course) in CSP's Mage D'Orient. I'm tickled how pleased I am with this scent, especially for the price. It's not gonna knock your socks off but it smells very tropical (coconut, citrus, fruits) and I think anyone who likes Virgin Island Water might like this. One of the more "unisex" fragrances from CSP and VERY summery.

Winners since the start of the year have been:

Geir - Love it! Bought a nice big bottle of it and love spraying it on. It's really very hard to overspray this one and it lasts practically forever on me.
    AdP Colonia - Fresh and classic. Awesome combo.
    Musc Ravegeur - Love this. Lasts forever on me and the drydown is amazing!

Losers since the start of the year have been:

Creed Erolfa - Dreadful lasting power. And what's the big deal about this one? Overhyped.
    Creed Baie De Genievre - This one is a pretty good one, but I think it's too much of a mature drydown for me right now.
    Yatagan - Dirt. Not like fresh dirt after it's rained or something. Just plain dirt. I can't possibly wear this thing out of the house.
    Grey Flannel - It's ok... I don't think it's for me.
    Last edited by akshay03; 23rd April 2008 at 02:46 AM.

Winners (Fragrances that have turned out to be far above my expectations):

Tabacco Toscano
    Jean Pascal
    Clubman
    Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

Losers (Fragrances that have turned out to be far below my expectations):

Purple Water
    Atlas Cedar (Brosseau)
    Daim Blond
    Cuiron
    Mare
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Winners:
    Czech & Speake - Cuba
    AdP - Colonia Assoluta
    Nicole Miller for Men (had a mini of this but picked up a bottle with the reintroduction)
    Michael Kors - (can a scent you don't own be considered a winner? I say yes! Will be ordering soon...)

Losers:
    As of right now, none!

Not sure:
    Creed - Original Vetiver

I ordered a sample from the perfume court and loved it. After several testings, I splurged for the bottle. Once the bottle came and I gave it a few wearings it seemed for lack of a better word, "watery". I compared the juice from the sample with the stuff from the bottle and it was the same. It just seemed the whole was less than the sum of it's parts... I guess it could be the ol' OF as well....

Blog Entries

Winners:

#1 - Terre d'Hermès - I'm just so happy with this one. It's perfect for me. Goes to work & play well. Just a bit outdoorsy, but in a sophisticated way.
    #2 - L'Eau de Jatamansi (L'Artisan Parfumeur) - I was afraid this was going to be a bit too floral, but it has enough of an Oriental/Spicy edge that it works for me. Jatamansi is just a fascinating scent, too.

Neutral:

Tokyo by Kenzo - Weirdly weak, and it makes me hungry for some reason, but it loves me when it drenches my skin. I tried to kill ants with it, and they seem to like it. Not sure what that means.

Hopeful (Hot Samples):

Fou d'Absinthe (L'Artisan) - the sample really works for me. Strong stuff. It's tempting me.
    Sel de Vétiver (Different Co.) - intriguing, persistent, and addictive.
    Osmanthus (Different Co.) - I actually get some sort of physiological reaction to it. I love it.
    Polo Explorer - Polo and I go way back. I have 3 flankers already, but this one is really nice. I'm resisting.

Mild Loser:

Vera Wang for Men - I wanted this one to rock me, because I think Vera is cool. But it's just soapy as hell on me. Estée Lauder Pleasures For Men did soap much better for me. I hope VW will come out with another masculine.

Curious:

Creed - thinking about Himalaya, Virgin Island Water, and maybe others. I'm watching all of your comments about Creed fragrances with great interest.

Big Losers:

None so far. However, I used to really like Hugo by Hugo Boss, and have been turned against it as a guilty pleasure by Chandler Burr's writing. Yes, it's an air conditioner refrigerant. Yes, it's a men's room sanitizer. But I love it like a bad habit. And everybody around me likes it. <sniff> Why must it be wrong? </sniff>.

Winners:

Gris Clair - I never thought much of lavender, but GC changed it all.
    Black Aoud - Maybe not the most approachable scent at first, but this stuff grows on you.

Losers:
    C&S No. 88 - Yes, I appreciate its quality, but somehow it just wasn't cut out for me.
    Bulgari PH Extreme - It's nice, but gets kinda boring after a while.
    Armani Code - I have no need for it when I have Douce Amere

New discoveries, next on the to-buy list:
    Timbuktu
    Lonestar Memories
    Chergui
    Last edited by heythatslife; 23rd April 2008 at 04:56 AM.

HIT:

L'air Du Desert Marocain
    Aoud Lime
    White Aoud
    Eau Noire
    Cacharel PH
    Chergui

MISS:

Valentino V
    Gucci Envy (which I swear has changed since the green got greener)!
    Ambre Sultan
    Incense Rose
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 23rd April 2008 at 05:07 PM.

Got really excited about:
    Zino Davidoff
    Kouros Fraicheur
    Herrera Chic
    Armand Basi In Blue
    AdP Blu Med Mirto di Panarea
    AdP Colonia Assoluta
    Bulgari Aqua
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Heritage
    Sybaris/Puig
    Armand Basi Homme
    Opium Pour Homme Eau d'Orient
    Salvador Dali pour homme
    Le Roy Soleil/Dali

Wish I hadn't spent money on:
    Bulgari Aqua Marine
    Blue Seduction/Banderas
    Escada Moon Sparkle
    V/Valentino
    Intimately Beckham
    Cool Water/Davidoff

Winners:

L'Anarchiste - a blind buy. Love it, wear it often. Not nearly as off putting as I was led to believe.

Antidote - blind bought a mini of this. Wore it a few times and thought it was so so. A few days of not wearing it and I was itching to wear it again. Two weeks later and my .24oz mini was gone. Every day thereafter while choosing my SOTD I wished I had even a drop or two left in the mini. Nope - just enough in there to take a whiff. I knew I had to buy it. It's become my #1 far and away - extremely versatile, extremely classy, and I get great longevity (since I switched soaps, about 20 hours.)

AdP Colonia - Fell in love at first sniff, although now more and more I'm finding it to be nice, but nothing spectacular. Blasphemy, I know. Not sure if I'll buy it or not, but I had to list it as a winner as the first impression was just so darn good.

Prada Amber - Fell out of love with this after a few months of owning it but it's now back in my top five. The first hour or two is only so so, but the drydown is truly heavenly. Switching soaps (I switched to Dove sensitive skin bar soap) has made a huge difference in the longevity and overall scent.

Losers:

Azzaro Visit - bought blind. Nice enough but I get sick of it after about 2 or 3 hours. Needs more evolution.

Terre D'Hermes - Finally got to sample this after almost blind buying it numerous times. The opening is nice but it quickly descends into an anemic scent that reminds me far too much of Dawn dishsoap. One of my greatest disappointments, ever.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

This is with respect to full-sized bottle purchases this year:

Winners

Aoud Lime
    Aoud Flowers
    Blue Amber
    Red Vetyver
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Losers

Ambre Sultan
    Hanae Mori EDP
    Shalimar

Oh my lord, the list is very extensive, Since joining basenotes in December 2007:

Winners:

Creed Milliseme Imperiale
    Penhaligon Racquets
    Kiton Black
    Givenchy Pi
    YSL M7
    Paco Robanne XS
    Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac
    Opium PH EDP
    Equipage Hermes
    Parfums de Nicola&#239; New York
    Montale Patchouli Leaves
    Guerlain Heritage
    Habit Rouge
    Chanel Anteaus
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Frederick Malle Noir Epices
    Montale Aoud Damascus
    Montale Attar
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Acier Aluminum
    Gucci Envy
    Michael Storer Winter Star
    Montale Taif Roses
    Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum
    1776 Russian Leather Elsha
    Montale Black Aoud
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gautier Ambre Precieux
    MPG Santal Noble
    Thierry Mugler *A* Man
    C&S #88
    Jean Patou Priv'e
    Truefitt & Hill Spanish Leather
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Diptyque Tam Dao
    Ormonde Jayne Ta'if
    Amouage Silver

Need to give another go:

Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Musc Ravager
    Lolita Lempicka
    Aramis JHL
    Floris #89
    Floris Elite
    Geir
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Sean John Unforgivable
    Creed Bois de Portugal
    Chanel Egoiste
    Balanciega Cristobol
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Montale Blue Amber
    Domenico Caraceni 1913
    Sexual
    MPG D'Habit
    L’Uomo Trussurdi
    Anglia Perfumery Patchouli
    Jaipur
    BPAL - Morocco
    Ambre Narguile
    Bel Ami Hermes
    MPG Racine
    Bond #9 Wall Street
    Divine L'Homme de Couer
    Halston Catalyst
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu
    Serge Luten Musc Muscs Koubla&#239; Kh&#228;n
    Caron L'Anarchiste
    Antidote Viktor & Rolf
    Clive Christian #1
    Creed Original Santal
    Bond Riverside Drive
    Rochas Man
    Xeryus
    Avon's Mesmerize
    Divine L'Homme Sage
    Serge Luten Fumerie Turque
    Serge Luten Chene
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil
    Ormonde Jayne Isfarkland
    Ignition Lomani
    Serge Luten Chergui
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Sepia
    Profumum Santalum
    Divine l' h o m m e s a g e
    Z Zegna
    Truefitt & Hill 1805
    Truefitt & Hill Grafton
    Truefitt & Hill Clubman
    Set Sail St. Barts Tommy Bahama
    Stardust
    John Vervatos
    Iceberg Twice
    Narciso Rodriguez
    Richard James Cadamom
    Azzaro - Chrome

Not for me:

Creed Taberome
    Bond # 9 New Haarlem
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Hermes Concentre Orange Verte
    CBI: I Hate Perfume Wild Hunt
    Bulgari Black
    Jack Black Black Mark
    A&B Fierce
    Mazzolari Lui
    L`ARTISAN Dzing!
    Cardinal Heeley
    BPAL - Shub - Naggurath
    MPG Route du Vetiver
    Christian Dior Intense
    Last edited by silverbullet; 23rd April 2008 at 01:15 PM.

Winners
    Scent One:Hinoki
    Absinth - Nasomatto

Losers
    Incense Rose
    Washington Tremlett - Black Tie

For me early in my fragrance experience the winners:

1.) The Vanilla Triple Play of Le Labo Vanille 44, Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille, and Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. All three such different takes on vanilla and so good on me.
    2.) Frapin Caravelle Epicee. I would not have found this without discovering Basenotes and reading Tworoads descriptions. This is just my perfect mix.
    3.) Le Labo Patchouli 24-easily the most unique scent I've worn in the last three months and while it may not be for everyone it definitely is for me.
    4.) Frederic Malle Bigarade Concentree-I have enjoyed every one of the Malles I've worn so far but this one seems to hit me in my citrus sweet spot that I thought was reserved for Terre D'Hermes.
    5.) The Rose Double Play of Le Labo Rose 31 and Czech & Speake #88 another set of diverse takes on a classic base.
    House of the 1/3 year: (tie) Le Labo and Frederic Malle---I've tried a number from both houses and have not been disappointed yet.

Disappointments

1.) Creed Millesime Imperial---I have liked but not loved most of the other Creeds I've tried. I was really expecting to love this and was surprised ay how one-dimensional it was on me.
    2.) Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain--As much as I like the incense scents this one left me curiously flat.

That's actually it for disapppointments. It has been a great few months of discovery for me and the hits are way more than the misses. That is mostly thanks to the advice of this community. So thanks to everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

My winning finds so far this year are:

Versace L'Homme - an old 1980's scent, but it is new to me. Fantastic.
    Duro, Nasomatto -
    En Sens De Bois, Miller Harris - just released last month, fantastic earth and smoke incense. Deauchafor's best work.
    Black Tie, Washington Tremlett - roses + oud - a gentler redition of the black aoud song.
    Captain by Molyneaux - another oldy that is new to me, inexpensive, fresh, briliant.
    Patchouli 24, Le Labo - curiously dark, dense, and gentle.
    Monsier Givenchy - recently re released classic scent. The best distinguished eau de cologne I've smelled.
    Le Vetyver, Givenchy - also a re released classic from Givenchy. The best pure vetiver fragrance I've used.
    Kenzo Air - anise and vetiver. It is astringent, transparent and cleansing.

I have many disappointments in fragrance this year, but It's such a very subjective expierence that I think it's incorrect to single them out by name because I realize they may be wonderful to someone else. I have to move a couple dozen losers out of my collection and send them on to a new home with others.
    To name a few: Narcisso Rodrigeuz for him, Korous, Dzing, Tumulte.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 23rd April 2008 at 08:27 PM.

Off-Scenter

In no particular order:

Winners:
    Jubilation XXV
    Cuir Beluga
    Beyond Paradise for Men
    Aubepine-Acacia
    Chevrefeuille Original
    Botrytis
    Declaration
    Derby
    Harissa
    R. de Capucci

Losers:
    Demeter Fireplace
    Demeter Ginseng Root
    Demeter Jelly Belly Wild Blackberry Peach Cobbler ("The horror! The horror!" - J. Conrad)
    John Varvatos
    Quizas, Quizas, Quizas
    Solo Loewe
    Ungaro III (!)
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille

My Big Big Winner.
    Fou D Absinthe . No Words To Describe This Beauty. Lasts For Ever On Me.

Loser.

Armani Code
    Armani Attitude

Winners:

AdP- Intensa - I prefer this to the Colonnia or Asoluta. A big winner for me.

Un Jardin Sur Le Nil by Hermes - fresh and summery without being another lemon burst, don't over apply though.

Castile by Penhaligons - just fantastic.

Ambre by L'Occitane - also wonderful.

Eau D'Hermes - I love this.

Coriolan by Guerlain - simply a fantastic creation, light on the skin with hidden depth.

Lagerfeld Classic - picked it up on impulse off Ebay, didn't like it at first but now has grown to be a regular must wear.

Losers.

D&G the One - nearly bought this automatically because the female version is wonderful. Glad I didn't because it's rubbish. Too light, lousy sillage and lasts about as long as it takes for the spray to hit your skin before evaporating completely.

Givenchy Gentleman - once this has dried down it's nice, but I hate it for the first hour, yuk.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 24th April 2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Forgot one...