Code of Conduct

Question Chandler Burr vs. Luca Turin

Who's opinions are you typically more aligned with ~

Chandler Burr or Luca Turin?

Default Re: Chandler Burr vs. Luca Turin

For more than one reason I do not think this is a fair question. Also, we have never played off one Basenotes member against another. I would be embarrassed to see that happening now.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

ubuandibeme,

Love that name.

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is how the two could even be mentioned in the same context. One is a genius, a natural, and has been doing it for forty years. The other is extremely bright (but will become a genius as he focuses and pays constant attention to the specific subject of perfume), probably not as much of a natural, has been doing it for approximately five years, has acquired a great deal of his knowledge (and continues to do so) from the other, but relatively speaking is still training in the minor leagues. He also hasn't had the opportunity to even smell many of the great fragrances when they were in their prime.

To answer the question: Luca Turin is the one I'm more aligned with. He has a deeper understanding of all of this than most people can even fathom. He is frequently misunderstood because he is genius, and his words must often be read and understood in a greater context in order to fully appreciate their message. But once you do, those words can be sublime. Sometimes you have to read between the lines to get the best stuff.

I've seen some great reviews by Burr though. Some of the first ones he wrote are still my favorites. He's a great writer in general. He has a genuine interest in all this and I think he'll be around a long time, getting better and better as he goes.
    Last edited by pluran; 16th April 2008 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post

Victoria from the blog, Bois de Jasmin. She hasn't been around for a while, not sure why. I don't post there, but she is more aligned with my taste in fragrance and I love her writing style.

:toppie:
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    For more than one reason I do not think this is a fair question. Also, we have never played off one Basenotes member against another. I would be embarrassed to see that happening now.
    Asking which writer/reviewer is more aligned with your tastes is not playing one basenoter off of another and since they are both professional and making money off us, they are not exactly the average poster here or above comment. Let's not get into stifling free speech for personal reasons, that just indicates someone who is infatuated or something. Not going there.... don't expect it. We are free to review any basenoter's fragrance, as well, if it's in the directory, and I don't see them participating in threads other than the ones they or their books are the topics of, like other members of the community do. Maybe I missed something?

I'm not criticizing for that, but get real.
    Last edited by beachroses; 16th April 2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Whoa, THAT is not my intention whatsoever. I ask this question to learn, and I thank pluran for replying with a response that helps educate! Just like reading opinions or commentary of perfumes, we can also learn by opinions and commentary of other subjects...while remaining respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post

Only one way to answer this: Cage Fight Celebrity Death Match
    We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

I can honestly say neither. There is no sort of correlation. They are lukewarm about or despise some I adore and vice versa, while at other times preferences correspond. In terms of actual advice I'm better served by various BN reviewers. I do love reading Turin for the aesthetic pleasure alone.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I have read a lot more from Burr so I guess I would pick him. I like his writing style and how he uses the strangest comparisons to what he is smelling. I enjoy his articles and knowledge on the topic of fragrances, what can I say...

Actually you are forgetting Sanchez! Her sensibility is a little different than Luca Turin's and miles different than Burr.

I find all 3 entertaining and informative, and instead of picking my "favorite" - here is what I like about all 3:

1. Sanchez: Sharp wit and detailed explanations
    2. Turin: Sometimes the chemical *why* something smells as it does, plus his "karate chop" razor wit
    3. Burr: Amazing energy and forcefulness, and a talented writer! (Love his books)
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 16th April 2008 at 05:35 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

All I can picture is the two of them jousting on horses, running at each other - and then, right as they meet, they both pull out a bottle of A*Men and blast eachother in the face with it, hopefully knocking the other from their charging steed to the unforgiving earth below.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Both Chandler Burr and Luca Turin are paid to express their own particular opinions about fragrances to the public. That puts them squarely into the mainstream of having to accept public criticism of those opinions, both positive and negative. And their opinion invites comparison with others who choose to comment using public or private forums/publications about fragrances, both with or without payment. It goes with the territory.
    Last edited by kbe; 16th April 2008 at 06:16 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Red face Re: Chandler Burr vs. Luca Turin

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    Actually you are forgetting Sanchez! Her sensibility is a little different than Luca Turin's and miles different than Burr.

I find all 3 entertaining and informative, and instead of picking my "favorite" - here is what I like about all 3:

1. Sanchez: Sharp wit and detailed explanations
    2. Turin: Sometimes the chemical *why* something smells as it does, plus his "karate chop" razor wit
    3. Burr: Amazing energy and forcefulness, and a talented writer! (Love his books)
    You're right, Ms. Sanchez is quite sharp! I like your summaries ~ thanks!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    All I can picture is the two of them jousting on horses, running at each other - and then, right as they meet, they both pull out a bottle of A*Men and blast eachother in the face with it, hopefully knocking the other from their charging steed to the unforgiving earth below.
    Yeah, some afterthought made me aware I should have posed the question using the word "OR" rather than "VS." - the latter sort of set up battle like imagery! Oh well, live and learn.
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 16th April 2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Except they both snuck in Joop! which would be "cheating" in this contest, which knocks the other out, cold. As well as the audience.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 16th April 2008 at 07:13 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Burr, most definitely....he's hellasexy! I mean, Turin's not a bad looking guy and all, but.....uhhhhh....

......sorry, I guess I should have read all the posts to get a clear understanding of the topic at hand before I decided to comment on the subject!

Forgive me for being ignorant of these folk, but can someone tell me where these people contribute? Do they review for a newspaper or a magazine, or is it their books that you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant of these folk, but can someone tell me where these people contribute? Do they review for a newspaper or a magazine, or is it their books that you're talking about?
    Turin is a legend, has many leather-bound books, and his office smells of rich mahogany.

Burr is a fragrance critic for the New York Times.

I personally love reading both! Whether I agree with their opinions varies of course, but it is almost always quality reading material nonetheless. Sometimes the most beautiful reviews are the ones in which they describe and analyze scents that they love, that I myself dislike.