Code of Conduct

Default Lapidus Pour Homme smells like......

a. ......... leather/tobacco like fragrance.net says? or
    b. .......... a Lavender Spicy Floral Ambery Oriental like Perfumeworld says? or
    c. ..........nothing like the fragrance pyramid in the Basenotes directory, as a few reviewers there have noted?

This is the 1987 scent I'm referring to, not the later Ted Lapidus or Ted.

I've been smelling it on my hand all afternoon since I bought a cheap bottle of it this morning, and it was nagging me so much I checked the above sites. Then it struck me, if anything it was very much a kindred spirit to Kouros. I checked the H&R charts and there was Kouros in Woody Fougere, and directly underneath it, there was Lapidus Pour Homme.

So, a powerhouse scent very reminiscent of Kouros going cheap - what's not to like about that?
    Renato

Default Re: Lapidus Pour Homme smells like......

Kouros is still very much in my memory as I tried it yesterday. I have a bottle of Lapidus, courtesy of our own tvlampboy. So I just spritzed some on my hand.

I don't really get any Kouros out of it. To my nose, Lapidus is much sweeter and there is definitely that tobacco note. I don't get any urinal cake out of it though. It's not too powdery like Kouros is for me either.

Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Kouros is still very much in my memory as I tried it yesterday. I have a bottle of Lapidus, courtesy of our own tvlampboy. So I just spritzed some on my hand.

I don't really get any Kouros out of it. To my nose, Lapidus is much sweeter and there is definitely that tobacco note. I don't get any urinal cake out of it though. It's not too powdery like Kouros is for me either.

Sorry!
    No doubt they're somewhat different component wise, but style wise is where I find the similarity. I've had Lapidus on the back of one hand and Kouros on the back of the other all day sniffing away.

But thanks very much for giving me your thoughts, as Lapidus isn't a widely held one, I suspect.
    Regards,
    Renato

I must disagree with you Renato ... Atrac is correct they are nothing alike ....... To me they are poles apart . .. like chalk & cheese .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I agree with renato in the style similarity... They smell different, but have that complex 80s aura...
    I personally like it, but I'm affraid i'll have to get rid of my bottle... My wife has complained about it recently...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I must disagree with you Renato ... Atrac is correct they are nothing alike ....... To me they are poles apart . .. like chalk & cheese .
    Thanks for your thoughts. Interesting how our perceptions differ.

The H&R charts have them in the same column - in between the woody fougeres and the ambery fougeres - and coming out at nearly the same time. To my mind, poles apart are fougeres to orientals, or fougeres to chypres.

I've just spray each on each hand again, and enjoyed the relatively unique similar assault each produces at the back of my nose and down into my throat.

Different - somewhat. Poles apart - we'll have to disagree.
    Renato

Renato .. The problem is there are not enough categories ! to lump 1000's of fragrances into ..... Im just glad that ones listed alongside one another in the same columns can smell poles apart . I have both and glad they are totally different .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    (1)Then it struck me, if anything it was very much a kindred spirit to Kouros. I checked the H&R charts and there was Kouros in Woody Fougere, and directly underneath it, there was Lapidus Pour Homme....(2) No doubt they're somewhat different component wise, but style wise is where I find the similarity. I've had Lapidus on the back of one hand and Kouros on the back of the other all day sniffing away.
    Renato
    I always thought that, but where is a space to talk perfume when it comes to Kouros . The strongest link is the honey, I find, but the spices are different, and I am not sure if I smell any carnation, leather, vanilla and civet in LPH. Instead, it has Tobacco and is woodier in the base. Both are powdery towards the end, which I like very much. Kouros for pedestrians, one could call LPH. (Sorry Dimitrios !) But it's a nice fragrance with merits of its own, if we do not compare these two.
    Woody Fougères both, what else?
    "...and:The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."
    Last edited by narcus; 23rd April 2008 at 02:01 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs View Post
    I agree with renato in the style similarity... They smell different, but have that complex 80s aura...
    I personally like it, but I'm affraid i'll have to get rid of my bottle... My wife has complained about it recently...
    Long time since we've caught up - too many posts here I think.

I too now have a small list of scents that I'm not allowed to wear around my wife - Etro's Anice, Blenheim Bouquet, Versace Black Jeans - and Fleur du Male I'm not allowed to buy.

Ah - remember the old days of freedom.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I always thought that, but where is a space to talk perfume when it comes to Kouros . The strongest link is the honey, I find, but the spices are different, and I am not sure if I smell any carnation, leather, vanilla and civet in LPH. Instead, it has Tobacco and is woodier in the base. Both are powdery towards the end, which I like very much. Kouros for pedestrians, one could call LPH. (Sorry Dimitrios !) But it's a nice fragrance with merits of its own, if we do not compare these two.
    Woody Fougères both, what else?
    "...and:The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."
    Hi Narcus,

Thanks for the analysis and comparison.

I'm finding this amusing. As I've often said, I'm pretty hopeless at picking notes and usually don't see the similarity in the "Scent X is exactly the same as Scent Y" threads where people home in on particular notes to the exclusion of others. But here I've found two scents which style and effect wise are almost identical to my nose, but note wise are very different to people who are good at picking notes.

I'd been wondering if this was ever going to happen, and it finally has.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 23rd April 2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It smells like Tenere without the rose...

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley_f5 View Post
    It smells like Tenere without the rose...
    You're one up on me there, as I haven't ever come across Tenere.
    I just looked it up and see it's made by Paco. The reviews on it are very interesting.
    Renato

Gentleman by Yardly....

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Gentleman by Yardly....
    Thanks. This is becoming fascinating the different perceptions.

I can't directly compare the two because Yardley's Gentlemen is a scent that I used to own. But despite liking it when I first tried it, I really disliked it every time I wore it, so that I just gave it away to a friend.

With Lapidus I don't like the first 10 minutes at all, but like it thereafter.
    Renato

i recently got in the mail a full bottle of lapidus pour homme, vintage- bought in 1988! get this- for 99 cents!!! i love ebay. ill tell you what- i sprayed the vintage on my right wrist and the current on my left. the current is just as strong as the vintage, is just as sweet, sillage and projection are the same. the vintage has one note that the current doest. it a tiny little amount of smokiness. i cant say i prefer one over the other, but i can say that smelling the vintage makes me appreciate the current. very good fragrance.

Lapidus is a great fragrance IMO. It is a powerhouse for sure and comes off a little sweet--really unique stuff.

A great fragrance and very affordable.

Lapidus Pour Homme is very sweet and bright for an 80's powerhouse. It's very fruity, and alos very soapy...smells sort of like inexpensive sanitary products like floor soaps they use in government buildings though.

Not at all a typical 80's scent.....Lapidus was really ahead of his time with that one.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The animalic dirtiness in both Kouros and Lapidus Pour Homme is linked to my nose by their mutually-shared honey accord, which permeates their middle notes. Lapidus is soapier and brighter, Kouros is earthier and more "perfumey". They're both amazing scents.

Closest to the original Boss, before it became #1 (in my experience), but clearly of inferior ingredients and cruder.

Lapidus = pineapple (which gives it a fresh vibe) + spices + sandalwood

(of course "fresh" doesn´t mean aquatic in this case)

strong, longlasting and simply GREAT

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    i recently got in the mail a full bottle of lapidus pour homme, vintage- bought in 1988! get this- for 99 cents!!! i love ebay. ill tell you what- i sprayed the vintage on my right wrist and the current on my left. the current is just as strong as the vintage, is just as sweet, sillage and projection are the same. the vintage has one note that the current doest. it a tiny little amount of smokiness. i cant say i prefer one over the other, but i can say that smelling the vintage makes me appreciate the current. very good fragrance.
    My bottle was cheap - but not that cheap! No wonder you love Ebay.
    Well done.
    But the question has to be asked - what is wrong with the fragrance buying public when such a good scent goes so ridiculously cheap?
    Renato

Lapidus is pineapple on top of sweet leather.

renato- i have to tell you the whole story... i bid on hundreds of bottles of cologne. one out of one hundred i end up getting. im usually outbid 99 out of 100 times. so, the fragrance buying public is out there, outbidding me more often than not. i just got lucky. once. it usually doesnt go that way. id been bidding on vintage lapidus bottles for weeks before i got this one. so temper my 99 cent purchase with that... its still a good deal (he said while wearing his 99 cent vintage original formula lapidus, smelling like a million bucks!!!

I think Lapidus does smell a lot like Kouros, only a bit sweeter and less animalic. Lapidus also smells like it has a dark green hue in the base notes.

I find Lapidus Pour Homme to be even stronger than Kouros. When it comes to powerhouse frags, Lapidus is the real deal (as is Kouros too).
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Lapidus is definitely stronger than Kouros. Actually significantly stronger. Kouros is a monster - Lapidus is a Legion.

That said, of the two, I prefer Kouros by a slight margin. The pineapple, rose, and spices in Lapidus are truly evocative and lovely. But Kouros transports me to the Mediterranean every time I sniff it. It has a transporting essence that Lapidus lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Yeah, Lapidus is definitely stronger than Kouros. Actually significantly stronger. Kouros is a monster - Lapidus is a Legion.

That said, of the two, I prefer Kouros by a slight margin. The pineapple, rose, and spices in Lapidus are truly evocative and lovely. But Kouros transports me to the Mediterranean every time I sniff it. It has a transporting essence that Lapidus lacks.
    I agree 100%. And I thought I was the only person who smelled a Mediterranean vibe in Kouros.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Lapidus is pineapple on top of sweet leather.
    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I think Lapidus does smell a lot like Kouros, only a bit sweeter...
    LpH smells like Balenciaga pour Homme (honeyed Kouros, with lots of incense) with a strong pineapple accord though all its layers.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I agree 100%. And I thought I was the only person who smelled a Mediterranean vibe in Kouros.
    I think people tend to associate sweet/fruity/aquatic fragrances with the Mediterranean. Obviously Kouros doesn't have any of that in it. What Kouros does capture is the bone-dry 110° Fahrenheit street dust of an Italian village during siesta in July. There's the luscious freshness of Umbrian mountain air, wildflowers, some citrusy Campari beverage and a nearby restroom's rich artifical "cleanness" wafting through a bistro. Then I get the baked cobblestone village street in the heart, followed by the honeyed sweat of an Italian goddess clip-clopping by in stilettos, with a trail of raw incense emanating from the church up the street a little ways . . .

Kouros really is a gem.

I suspect a trip to India might bring out similar imagery from Lapidus. Without that sort of reference however, Lapidus is limited to smelling like very expensive and unyieldingly masculine soap, once the amazingly realistic pineapple fades off. I think Lapidus is unlike anything else currently on the market, with the exception of Kouros in a very remote sense.

The reason I think Mediterranean with Kouros is how the smells of fish, unpasteurized cheeses, dried sausages, etc. you smell in French Mediterranean outdoor markets give off a smell some people would call raw and raunchy. Raw and raunchy is how I perceive the base notes in Kouros, probably from the civet and florals. Put that together with the Kouros lavender, and you've got Mediterranean in my mind. It's a great smell.

I think Lapidus share the same "vibe and style" of Kouros. But I'm not the best person to talk about both since I don't like them.

Lapidus, to me, smells like my grandfather's blankets locked for a long time in his wardrobe full of naphthaline.

A similar scent, without the obvious pineapple note, is Al-Rehab's 'Lord'. Available very cheaply, it's worth testing side by side with LpH. (Which, incidentally, I love)

Blind bought this the other day (along with Giorgio Beverly Hills Red) after I had seen it compared to Kouros. Didn't arrive yet but I am looking forward to receiving them.

Could resist to add Sung Homme as well, which, if I remember right, had also been compared to Kouros.

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    renato- i have to tell you the whole story... i bid on hundreds of bottles of cologne. one out of one hundred i end up getting. im usually outbid 99 out of 100 times. so, the fragrance buying public is out there, outbidding me more often than not. i just got lucky. once. it usually doesnt go that way. id been bidding on vintage lapidus bottles for weeks before i got this one. so temper my 99 cent purchase with that... its still a good deal (he said while wearing his 99 cent vintage original formula lapidus, smelling like a million bucks!!!
    I see - thanks for the explanation.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by RRomani View Post
    I think Lapidus share the same "vibe and style" of Kouros. But I'm not the best person to talk about both since I don't like them.

Lapidus, to me, smells like my grandfather's blankets locked for a long time in his wardrobe full of naphthaline.
    Interesting. Napthaline is often associated with Hugo (the one in the grenade looking bottle).
    Renato

Thanks Guys,
    It's interesting that when I first posted this thread two years ago, I didn't get much support for my proposition that Lapidus shared a certain style with Kouros.
    But nearly two years elapse, and significantly more people seem to share my perception.
    Regards,
    Renato