Code of Conduct

Default Facial skin care routine

Hi guys (or girls)

Bear with me here...

I am unable to get to sleep at the moment. My house mate is (still) bouncing around the house washing floors, vaccuuming and generally cleaning, while whistling and carrying on, with half the lights ablaze. So, while waiting for an appropriate time to try and get to bed (it's 9.45 on a Wednesday night as a matter of interest), I wanted to raise an issue that I have been considering recently.

What, if any, skin care routine do you guys follow for your face? I intend to follow the following routine once I find the right products:

1. Cleanse/wash
    2. Scrub (if shaving)
    3. Shave
    4. After shave balm (if shaving)
    5. Toner
    6. Moisturiser

Any thoughts on this? Do you do all the steps all the time? Don't care? Have a routine that works? Know of a line of products that has all of the above but without the fancy packaging and/or names that befuddle with ridiculous titles?

Cheers
    Steve

Default Re: Facial skin care routine

This is my routine:

1. Cleanse
    2. Exfoliate 2x a week
    3. Shave
    4. Hydrosol spray
    5. Aftershave balm
    6. Moisturizer

I do this every day, but when I don't shave I go straight to moisturizer after exfoliation.
    I use a variety of products, and here they are:
    Cleanser: Origins Checks and Balances
    Scrub: Anthony Logistics orange scrub
    Shave cream: Art of Shaving lavender scented
    Hydrosol: Art of Shaving
    Aftershave balm: Art of Shaving lavender
    Moisturizer: Zirh Protect-super strong because I have really dry skin
    Last edited by mmaximus; 23rd April 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Mmaximus and I are very similar:

1.) Cleanse every morning w/ Jack Black Daily Facial Cleanser
    2.) Scrub 2X/week with Lab Series Facial Scrub
    3.) Shave every day with Art of Shaving Lemon pre-shave oil, shaving soap , and after-shave balm
    4.) Moisturize eye area every day with Jack Black Eye Balm
    5.) Moisturize face every day with Kiehl's Facial Fuel with SPF 15
    6.) Apply SotD every day.

At night
    1.) Cleanse every night with Lab Series Daily Facial cleanser
    2.) Moisturize eye area every night with Jack Black Eye Balm
    3.) Moisturize face and neck every night with Jack Black Line Smoothening Lotion

Like I said pretty similar to Mmaximus.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I am sold on Jack Black everything. Great line. But everyone's skin responds differently. A lot of people like Nivea and Anthony Logistics these lines are murderous on my face and I avoid them.

On a cheaper level I am fond of L'Oreal Men's Expert, Clearasil's line, and King of Shaves.

I use Trumpers soaps for shaving but like Aveeno Oatmeal Shave Gel and SuperMax Tea Tree Shave Cream

Morning
    Facial Wash (Phisoderm Cream Cleanser) or Jurlique Gentle Cleanser
    Toner (Jack Black 3 in 1) or Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Lotion (Jack Black Oil Control) or L'Oreal Men's Expert Healthy Look

Night
    Facial Wash (Phisoderm Cream Cleanser) or Jurlique Gentle Cleanser
    Toner (Jack Black 3 in 1) or Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Jack Black Line Smoother (Alpha Hydroxy Lotion)
    King of Shaves XCD Reviver (under eyes) or Orlane Under Eye Cream (once a week)

Aftershave
    Jack Black Gel
    Stuf Cool Fella (my favorite)
    or
    Clearasil Men's Balm

Twice a week either Got2B Avocado Mask or Kimberly Sayer Clay Mask

I have combination skin with a light olive/medium skin tone

Cheers,
    Ali
    Last edited by anak; 24th April 2008 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Mmaximus and I are very similar:

1.) Cleanse every morning w/ Jack Black Daily Facial Cleanser
    2.) Scrub 2X/week with Lab Series Facial Scrub
    3.) Shave every day with Art of Shaving Lemon pre-shave oil, shaving soap , and after-shave balm
    4.) Moisturize eye area every day with Jack Black Eye Balm
    5.) Moisturize face every day with Kiehl's Facial Fuel with SPF 15
    6.) Apply SotD every day.

At night
    1.) Cleanse every night with Lab Series Daily Facial cleanser
    2.) Moisturize eye area every night with Jack Black Eye Balm
    3.) Moisturize face and neck every night with Jack Black Line Smoothening Lotion

Like I said pretty similar to Mmaximus.
    Thanks guys! There is some serious work going into your faces! What about these pre shave oils? Do they really work? Is the shaving better/smoother after a while?

Blog Entries

In regard to the pre-shave oils I have found they really help reduce razor bumps. Every time I've gone without for a couple of days I find I end up with a razor bump or two. So for me and my face they work pretty good. You'll need to give a pre-shave oil a decent try, for a week or so, to see if you notice any difference,
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

Skin care is so individualistic that specific recommendations are difficult.

Unlike the gentlemen above, I found that the more I do to my skin, the more problems I have. So my routine is fairly simple:

1. Wash with a good quality soap. Rinse.
    2. Shave with a good quality soap/cream (Trumper's, Truefitt & Hill, Castle Forbes, etc.). Pre-shave oil, etc. is probably not necessary for most men.
    3. Rinse.
    4. Aftershave depends on the weather and the shave: often I use alcohol-based, but do alternate with non-alochol based.
    5. Aftershave balm is used sometimes in winter - Crabtree & Evelyn's natural a/s balm is nice and lightweight. Otherwise, I use Neutrogena's oil-free moisturizer. Some days, I use nothing - it's good to just let your skin breathe. I'm on the lookout for something with SPF protection that's also lightweight. I hate greasy/heavy feeling facial products.
    6. Evening - a wash with Dove cleansing cloth and good rinse.

This routine works for me to protect the skin, keep it free from blemishes, and keep it healthy. It's also taken experimentation to the find the routine that works best for my skin. Especially with skin products: I've tried Zirh, Moulton Brown, Clinique, etc. None of them (except for the original Zirh line about 8-10 years ago) worked well for me.

Good luck.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I use pretty basic products, mostly drug store finds. Reading reviews helped a lot in finding the perfect products for my skin. I have combo skin, breakout prone if it gets too dry.

Morning
    Freeman facial scrub in the shower
    Thayer's Rose Petal toner (basic alcohol free toner, gentle)
    Complex 15 face cream (really great face cream, non irritating, keeps skins moisture balance)

Evening
    DHC Deep cleansing oil (great if you wear makeup, use sunscreen or get really dirty, the oil just dissolves everything and rinses clean off)
    DHC washing powder (really gentle powder soap with lactic acid for a bit of chemical exfoliation)
    Thayer's Rose Petal Toner
    If my skin feels dry I follow with a few spritzes of rose water & glycerin (rose water is an astrigent, glycerin a humectant)
    Nighttime moisturizer depends on how dry my skin feels: Complex 15, Alba Sea Plus Renewal Cream (the drug store equivalent of Creme de la Mer) or for super dry/ irritated skin Mary Kay extra emollient night cream - looks like orange vaseline.

1 day a week I'll use Freeman avocado & oatmeal mask and another day Alba papaya enzyme mask - great chemical exfoliant, makes your skin look fresh, glowy.

Spot treat the occasional pimple with Nelson's acne gel, does not leave blemished skin like bp does to me.

Occasionally I'll use Paula's choice BHA (for clogged pores) or AHA (to even out skin tone).

I follow this 3-step regimen daily:

Nancy Boy Facial Cleanser, followed by:
    Nancy Boy Balancing Facial Toner, followed by:
    Nancy Boy Repleneshing Facial Moisturizer.
    -

Look up mens essential line on google...they have a routine that you might like...its a bit expensive, but impressive nonetheless. I have used their exfoliant face scrub and it was the best my skin had ever looked...free of blackheads and fine lines. It had glycolic acid, vitamin e, salysilic acid and some other good stuff in it as well!!! I need to get some more!!!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Dependent

I use Clinique's 3 step for men twice daily - cleansing face with the extra strength facial bar, followed by toning+exfoliating using the 4.5 scruffing lotion, ending with the M Gel-Lotion.

I would use body shop's tea tree scrub and mask once a week.

Thank you for your tips and its quite useful to me.
    Dead Sea products also assist in motivation of collagen, cellulite reduction by means of creams, acne, eczema and psoriases. This supports in demising of wrinkles and ill effects of aging.
    So these Dead Sea beauty products are not only for women but also for men. The after shave lotions made out of Dead Sea are desired by many men. Some problems or issues of men like hard skin or corn will easily be disappeared with the help of Dead Sea minerals.
    http://www.deadseabeautyproducts.com - dead sea products

Guys, if you use a good aftershave, you don't need to use a toner. And vice versa.

I use an electric shaver, and just apply an after shave by Nivea. During winter, if my skin is too dry, I apply some Nivea moisturizer. During summer, I apply a powerful sunblock if I am going to walk outside. But only if I will really get exposed to direct sunlight, because subblock tends to clog pores.

Once a week or twice a month, I use a very very powerful Retin-A (tretinoin) creme, that makes my skin peel. I look younger than my twin brother because of this cream.

When I attend social events or parties, I apply some compact MAC powder to my face. It eliminates shine and is completely invisible. On rare occasions, If I have any spot of acne or any blemish, I use a concealer.

I am very satisfied with this routine!

1. Clinique men facewash
    2. Clinique blemish SOS solution lotion
    3. Clinique blemish SOS solution moisturiser