Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens - a mini review

I gave Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens a second full wearing today, from a sample (thanks leopoldo) and I feel as if I have taken a giant leap forward into understanding, appreciating and encompassing the iris note in all of it's facets.

Yes, the top notes are rooty-tooty (beet root?) and carrots (see the Carrot Silver Mist thread here). A little dirt, but definitely cold dirt. The iris note interwoven at this point does have that classic 'lipstick' smell that only I get from iris, however (maybe I'm used to it already, maybe this scent is different?) it isn't quite as powdery as other iris scents (Dior Homme, Hiris, Prada Infusion d'Iris). I find the dirt provides just the right backdrop to the iris scent. It's incredibly hard to describe in words, because it smells nothing like other scents that smell like dirt (Route du Vetiver, Dark Earth, Dirt by Demeter) - no other scent captures the smell of cold dirt like ISM.

The middle and base notes allow the scent to really fill out and deepen to a resolutely iris absolute accord. It not only smells more like iris, the smell is more wide-angle (iris HD!) - I swear I got the visual image today of how clouds might smell in the sky. Not ozonic. Just airy, ethereal... I hope I'm not coming across as too artistic and fluffy in my descriptions, but this scent really does evoke a feeling of serenity and meditation in me. Long stretches of time today, I thoroughly enjoyed moving around my office in articulated silences - in awe of this scent swirling all around me. It also manages to avoid being sweet on my skin, although many reviews I've read about ISM mention it as a gourmand. Strange.

Longevity is excellent, sillage is above average - fans of Dior Homme should love this, since I think it smells entirely unisex.

I must say that personally, I prefer a much greener iris note (Le Labo Iris 39) - but today's encounter with ISM has left me with a firmly rooted respect for this scent. Serge Lutens has done it again.

Default Re: Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens - a mini review

What about the verdict: are you going to get yourself a bottle?

Thanks for the great review, mp23! I love "Iris HD"!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Very interesting review as always Mike

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Its more vegetal than powdery "lipstick" like. A sterne focused scent, its an all encompassing iris and nothing more. An iris soliflore, so to speak. Strange, I used to like the vegetal rooty aspects of iris, but now I think I prefer the powdery lipstick facet of iris more.
    -

Well, everyone knows how much I love ISM. I have to say (without repeating all my previous rants on it), it taught me to love the beauty of iris. In fact, after getting a tiny 1ml sample of it, I would often have "phantom" whiffs of it out of the blue.

The ultimate iris, my no. 1 iris, and almost indefinitely my no. 1 period. I couldn't live without it.

Speaking of iris, just (finally) smelled Iris 39 (thanks M.), and it delves into a different realm of iris that is also quite beautiful. A bottle of this will be in my future as well.

After ISM, Apres L'Ondee, L'Homme de Coeur, Bois d'Iris, Bois Farine, and Dior Homme...I still manage to have room left in my collection for more iris.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    Well here's the thing - my boss (who's French) just went to France to celebrate his birthday for 3 weeks. I know that if I ask him, he'll most likely bring me back something like this if I ask him to, and pay him for it when he returns. I've never bought a bell jar of any Serge fragrance - if I do, this would be my first.

I'm mostly hedging because of cash flow and also since I really do love the green aspect of Iris 39 a little more (in my head).

I think for now, I need to retest both side by side (I'm sure I can decants from TPC) and then make my final decision then.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Well, everyone knows how much I love ISM. I have to say (without repeating all my previous rants on it), it taught me to love the beauty of iris. In fact, after getting a tiny 1ml sample of it, I would often have "phantom" whiffs of it out of the blue.
    Wow - sofresh. I can relate.

All night tonight, I keep getting whiffs of it, and yet I know that it is no longer on me (i've been to the gym, I've showered and applied an entirely different fragrance)...but yet, there it is in my consciousness. This happens ever so often with certain fragrances (it happened the first time I smelled Ambre Sultan). I'm sure it's my mind...but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who experiences this.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th April 2008 at 03:11 AM.

A very nice review this was and reminded me how electrifying I find iris to be. I don't own an iris-based fragrance yet but this could change in the future.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    A very nice review this was and reminded me how electrifying I find iris to be. I don't own an iris-based fragrance yet but this could change in the future.
    When I first got to Basenotes, I hadn't even smelled iris - I had no idea what it smelled like.

Of course, that all changed when I experienced Dior Homme - and really, I would highly recommend that you try DH first. Once your nose has become used to that aforementioned 'makeup' or 'lipstick' note that iris gives off, then I think you'll be ready for something as brash and intense as Iris Silver Mist.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th April 2008 at 10:15 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    UPDATE: I now own a bottle of this magical stuff! My first bell jar. It's so cute!

Everyone who likes iris notes in fragrances owes it to themselves to try this scent.

Iris Xanadu.

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

BTW I hear that Keiko Mecheri (many of which are very Lutenesque) has an iris scent for men coming this Fall.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    UPDATE: I now own a bottle of this magical stuff! My first bell jar. It's so cute!

Everyone who likes iris notes in fragrances owes it to themselves to try this scent.

Iris Xanadu.

Congratulations on your new purchase, Mike! ISM is a beautiful creation, and if I hadn't already been smitten with Bois d'Iris, it would be on my Top5 To Buy list.

Let us know how you get along with ISM over time, now that you have enough to really get to know it.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 24th September 2008 at 01:18 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Congratulations on your new purchase, Mike! ISM is a beautiful creation, and if I hadn't already been smitten with Bois d'Iris, it would be on my Top5 To Buy list.

Let us know how you get along with ISM over time, now that you have enough to really get to know it.
    Thanks snafoo.

I think I smelled Bois d'Iris once - but that was in my iris hatin days, so I guess I need to re-smell it again. Plus when I tested it I dabbed it on from a vial rather than spraying it from a bottle and I know that with JC Ellena scents, I need to SPRAY IT ON. I'm thinking ISM is slightly more evanescent or 'silvery' than the damp woody of BdI. But I'm just guessing.

I currently have Orris Noir by Ormande Jayne, Iris Noir by Yves Rocher and Terre d'Iris by Miller Harris - in my 'to sample' pile. So let's see how these stack up against the ISM.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th September 2008 at 02:46 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Congratulations on your purchase Mike

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

... I'm thinking ISM is slightly more evanescent or 'silvery' than the damp woody of BdI. But I'm just guessing...
    You're spot on re: the difference between ISM and Bois d'Iris. Truth be told, ISM is technically the better scent (Turin gave it 5 stars vs. 3 for Bois d'Iris. ISM's rating is well deserved, but I think Bois d'Iris should have gotten 4). But it's the damp woodiness of Bois d'Iris that I like. Chacun a son gout.

I've also sampled a number of other iris scents, including Iris Nobile, Iris Poudre, Orris Noir, and others. ISM and Bois d'Iris are still my favorites by far. And you're right - the bell jar is just about the jazziest bottle around.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 24th September 2008 at 07:33 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I tested ISM last night when I saw this thread bumped up. I didn't like it during the initial testing. I thought it smelt exactly like freshly pressed or squeezed carrot juice. The kind you can purchase at those Health Juice Bars, 11 dollars a glass stuff.

The opening is cold, and I get the pulling out the carrots or even beets right out of the soil/earth smell. Eventually that vanishes and the iris presents itself in the middle. It's also surprisingly a very elegent smelling scent with an edge. A rare combo I look for in perfumes. It's also a scent that evokes some sort of emotion, which I love.

I do like it, but I don't love it to the point where I'd seek out a bell jar. If I'd ever had to go through that trouble again, it will be for MKK or possibly Chergui. I hope it gets released in the export line as a limited edition or I might seek a decant.

Overall, thumbs up from me!
    Last edited by nsamadi; 24th September 2008 at 06:10 PM.

Congrats on the purchase Mike! I treasure my bottle and still consider it to be Lutens best fragrance to date.

great review- I sort of wish this worked better on me, but then again perhaps not since getting a bell jar is such a hassle...

Serge Lutens has done it again.
    And let us not forget the nose behind Iris Silver Mist, the incomparable (and my personal favorite) Maurice Roucel.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Congrats on the purchase Mike! I treasure my bottle and still consider it to be Lutens best fragrance to date.
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, sofresh, my Ambre Sultan bottle is a little jealous now that there's a new bell jar in town!

You're spot on re: the difference between ISM and Bois d'Iris. Truth be told, ISM is technically the better scent (Turin gave it 5 stars vs. 3 for Bois d'Iris. ISM's rating is well deserved, but I think Bois d'Iris should have gotten 4). But it's the damp woodiness of Bois d'Iris that I like. Chacun a son gout.

I've also sampled a number of other iris scents, including Iris Nobile, Iris Poudre, Orris Noir, and others. ISM and Bois d'Iris are still my favorites by far. And you're right - the bell jar is just about the jazziest bottle around.
    So I was right - cool. I thought Bois d'Iris was 'damp'. I want to resmell it then. Damp wood? Sounds lovely, like Route du Vetiver by MPG, which I own and love. Would you agree?

I did not like Iris Poudre - it was a huge colossal powder puff of an iris fragrance. Ech.

I was reading The Guide last night and I noticed what you said about Turin's big-thums-up on ISM. I also noticed he puts it only in a class with 28 La Pausa by Chanel. Which I know nothing about, since not many of us guys talk about it (or wear it) due to it's price point, exclusivity, etc. From what I can see by going thru the BN archives, the guys who love 28LP love it for it's very natural take on iris, which on the other hand gives it much less longevity than the ISM. Regardless, next time I see a Chanel boutique, I'm def going in there and dousing my arm with 28LP. Or atleast No. 19. Still - those Chanel razor-sharp aldehydes usually scare me off.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I tested ISM last night when I saw this thread bumped up. I didn't like it during the initial testing. I thought it smelt exactly like freshly pressed or squeezed carrot juice. The kind you can purchase at those Health Juice Bars, 11 dollars a glass stuff.
    LOL.

When I got the bell jar opened up, I of course needed to show it off to Ray. He loved it and wanted to immediately smell it on me. As soon as I handed him my arm to smell, he looked at me and said, 'What is that smell....I know what that is...what is it?' I instantly replied, 'Carrots?' His eyes lit up. 'Carrot juice! Fresh, squeezed carrot juice. Exactly!' We both laughed. Of course, like you say, that sharp, dirty, root vibe calms down after a bit - and then it gets all mist-y. Thus the name.

Glad you got to find that emotional/mystical side of ISM by giving it a second chance N.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mike you've got me all excited about ISM! I was sent a sample from the generous Basenoter ubuandibeme, and I'm just itching to wear it!

I was reading The Guide last night and I noticed what you said about Turin's big-thums-up on ISM. I also noticed he puts it only in a class with 28 La Pausa by Chanel. Which I know nothing about, since not many of us guys talk about it (or wear it) due to it's price point, exclusivity, etc. From what I can see by going thru the BN archives, the guys who love 28LP love it for it's very natural take on iris, which on the other hand gives it much less longevity than the ISM. Regardless, next time I see a Chanel boutique, I'm def going in there and dousing my arm with 28LP. Or atleast No. 19. Still - those Chanel razor-sharp aldehydes usually scare me off.

28 La Pausa is my second favorite iris fragrance next to ISM. 28 has a beautiful, natural iris with a silky smooth feel. If 28 La Pausa were available in stronger concentration, it might surpass ISM as my favorite.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Mike you've got me all excited about ISM! I was sent a sample from the generous Basenoter ubuandibeme, and I'm just itching to wear it!
    Great!

It is everything that Dior Homme wants to be - just better. Less sweet, no leather, crisper/starchier (and stronger) iris. I'm thinking you're gonna like it.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Great!

It is everything that Dior Homme wants to be - just better. Less sweet, no leather, crisper/starchier (and stronger) iris. I'm thinking you're gonna like it.

Uh oh, dems fightin' words, pal! I love ISM, but DH is shoulder to shoulder to it. Leather and iris is an unbeatable combination, don't you think? And ISM is a pretty linear scent IMO. Nothing wrong with that, but I like the complexity that DH offers. Aw hell, they're both fantastic!

Basenotes Institution

Uh oh, dems fightin' words, pal! I love ISM, but DH is shoulder to shoulder to it. Leather and iris is an unbeatable combination, don't you think? And ISM is a pretty linear scent IMO. Nothing wrong with that, but I like the complexity that DH offers. Aw hell, they're both fantastic!
    LOL.

Well, as I said above in my review, if it wasn't for DH I would never have fallen in love with ISM. For what DH is: a designer, department store, mid-priced mens fragrace with prominent iris top notes - it is pretty fantastic. Sure beats Infusion d'Homme and Power by Kenzo in my opinion in the 'iris' category.

I specifically mentioned DH to Ruggles because I know he had a falling out with that scent and I wanted to give a 'sweeping generalization' of the differences.

Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th September 2008 at 10:24 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Great Post! I didn't 'get' ISM the on the first try. But a few mos later I realized how lovely and deep it is. the gourmand aspect, I feel, comes from a chewy sensation that forms in the back of the throat. I get this from several Serge Lutens. Another iris I fell for recently is Parfumerie Generale; 'Iris Taizo.' I had to get a bottle.It has a deep smooth earth & wood (wenge or rosewood maybe) undertone which is irresistible. I haven't yet tried MPG 'Iris Bleu Gris'. It has great reviews. Has anyone had any experience with these? I have Iris 'Bois D'Iris' which I love. I find it light and breezy. My only problem with it is a need to apply lots due to poor sillage.
    Last edited by kumquat; 24th September 2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    28 La Pausa is my second favorite iris fragrance next to ISM. 28 has a beautiful, natural iris with a silky smooth feel. If 28 La Pausa were available in stronger concentration, it might surpass ISM as my favorite.
    Now I really want to try it. Not too aldehyde prominent to your nose?

There's unconfirmed rumours that Chanel will release some of the Exclusifs in parfum concentration. If so, it sounds like 28LP would be a good candidate. But then it would be even more expensive! Jeez...

-- Eckhart Tolle

Now I really want to try it. Not too aldehyde prominent to your nose?

There's unconfirmed rumours that Chanel will release some of the Exclusifs in parfum concentration. If so, it sounds like 28LP would be a good candidate. But then it would be even more expensive! Jeez...
    I didn't detect any 'Chaneldehydes' in 28 La Pausa although it may have some. In addition, it never turned powdery on me. I gave the rest of the bottle to my sister on whom everything turns "powdery, old lady smelling" as she says. She says 28 La Pausa smells great and never turns powdery.

I have also heard the rumors about the parfum versions of Les Exclusifs.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Great Post! I didn't 'get' ISM the on the first try. But a few mos later I realized how lovely and deep it is. the gourmand aspect, I feel, comes from a chewy sensation that forms in the back of the throat. I get this from several Serge Lutens.

Another iris I fell for recently is Parfumerie Generale; 'Iris Taizo.' I had to get a bottle.It has a deep smooth earth & wood (wenge or rosewood maybe) undertone which is irresistible.
    To my nose (or shall I say, on my skin) ISM is so un-sweet. I can understand that chewy sensation you describe, but it is not 'edible' to my nose. I prefer it that way. Sweet iris just makes me think of Dior Homme which is OK, but not as satisfying to me as ISM.

Iris Taizo sounds good.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Great thread! Thanks to everyone!
    I love ISM and hope I will own a bottle one day
    I also look forward to seeing La Pausa in edp strength (rumors say maybe it will be released)

Thanks guys.
    When I got the bell jar opened up, I of course needed to show it off to Ray. He loved it and wanted to immediately smell it on me. As soon as I handed him my arm to smell, he looked at me and said, 'What is that smell....I know what that is...what is it?' I instantly replied, 'Carrots?' His eyes lit up. 'Carrot juice! Fresh, squeezed carrot juice. Exactly!' We both laughed. Of course, like you say, that sharp, dirty, root vibe calms down after a bit - and then it gets all mist-y. Thus the name.
    Maybe Serge should have called it IRIS CARROT MIST instead!

Mike - I'm with you on ISM. I've got a decant and absolutely am smitten by it. Congrats on your bell jar.

Teddius

Blog Entries

To my nose (or shall I say, on my skin) ISM is so un-sweet. I can understand that chewy sensation you describe, but it is not 'edible' to my nose. I prefer it that way. Sweet iris just makes me think of Dior Homme which is OK, but not as satisfying to me as ISM.

Iris Taizo sounds good.
    It is! I wore it last nite. I'd forgotten how boozy the opening is. Like a fine vodka. The notes on 'LuckyScent include cardomom, fig-tree honey? and jinkoh wood. So that's the wood , whatever that is. It is halfway toward sweet but not flowery. The whole composition reminds me of the color deep-purple. I often relate smells to colors. Which is why I really respond to the Lutens name 'Iris Silver Mist'. A wonderful description. That is just what I get in my head.

I also had to get a bell jar of ISM. Once I 'got' the dry down. It really is a masterpiece. It has that earthy root quality but it's not too musty or dry. The carrot juice flavor takes over and rescues it. It becomes almost fruity. It certainly is smooth, like gray velvet, except that's not a scent, oh dear!

It's funny that you noticed the lipstick note. There was a white iridescent frosted Yardley lipstick I wore in 1968! (I'm compelled to say I was a little kid playing grown-up, although I am old as the hills, not that there's anything wrong with that) I remember that smell to this day and I think it is the orris that is used in many cosmetics. The Yardley had a particularly good scent though. There are lots of lipsticks that taste awful. Counter-productive, Isn't it?
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th September 2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: content

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I think it is the orris that is used in many cosmetics.
    I have always thought this.

I mentioned on another thread (about Infusion d'Homme) that the conditioner my gym stocks in the locker room showers smells prominently of iris also. Once my nose became 'aware' of iris - it was unmistakeable the first time I took a shower and smelled that conditioner.

-- Eckhart Tolle

How much does a bell jar of ISM cost?

Basenotes Institution

It used to be 110 Euros. But I think it increased..?

It used to be €105 but the price has recently been raised to €110.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Great review!

The iris note interwoven at this point does have that classic 'lipstick' smell that only I get from iris...
    Actually, while I don't get that from most iris fragrances, I get it strongly from ISM. I was describing ISM to a non-perfumista friend the other day: "First it smells like carrots, then it smells like lipstick, then it smells like lipstick and cinnamon gobstoppers, and then iris and dirt."

I somehow doubt they were that enthused by my description.

Interesting you have a preference for Iris 39 - while ISM is, with Iris Taizo, my favorite iris fragrance, I find Iris 39 impossibly sour ( it reminds me of apple and lemon juice together ).

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Great review!

Actually, while I don't get that from most iris fragrances, I get it strongly from ISM. I was describing ISM to a non-perfumista friend the other day: "First it smells like carrots, then it smells like lipstick, then it smells like lipstick and cinnamon gobstoppers, and then iris and dirt."

I somehow doubt they were that enthused by my description.

Interesting you have a preference for Iris 39 - while ISM is, with Iris Taizo, my favorite iris fragrance, I find Iris 39 impossibly sour ( it reminds me of apple and lemon juice together ).
    Perhaps my lipstick threshold has been raised? Seriously, I think I have to come to appreciate the raw, vegetal character of the iris absolute accord - even though it encompasses the lipstick note. Funny how your nose can adapt to certain notes, after some time.

I39 sour huh? Pity, it's such a wonderful, civet-heavy 'alive' iris scent on my skin.