Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default How old is Irish Tweed as a Fragrance?

In my off time, I enjoy checking out the offerings at antique/collectible stores and flea markets.

Last weekend, one store had a number of older perfumes/colognes. One of them was called Irce (or Circe?) Irish Tweed. I didn't have time to find someone to unlock the case and check it out, but the box and bottle appeared to be from the 1930s. The bottle appeared masculine, so I assumed it was a cologne. That could be wrong though.

All of which led me to wonder how long Irish Tweed has been a named fragrance. Or, is Irish Tweed a generic name for a type of fragrance (like chypre)?

I may go back this weekend and see if I can get a sniff of it to see how it smells.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Default Re: How old is Irish Tweed as a Fragrance?

Well, Creed's came out in '85. Its the only Irish Tweed scent I've ever come across.

Blog Entries

That's pretty much what I thought. I hadn't seen or heard of any other frags by that name. This definitely was not a Creed. Maybe I'll pick it up if it's still there and post photos/impression.

It was with a group of other older stuff. Including a large bottle of something called "Jolly Nights" in a large blue Shalimar-shapedd bottle. That I will not try.
    Brent

Depends on whether you are asking when GIT was specially made for King I-foget-his-name or when it was released to commoners.

It was for Cary Grant... probably well before '85 (as he died in '86).

Blog Entries

Nope not asking about Creed. At all. Asking specifically about frags using the name "Irish Tweed". As sofresh noted, Creed is the one we're familiar with. But there was at least one other frag with the name Irish Tweed - the one I saw in the antique store was definitely a cologne/perfume. I've also seen references to "Issy's Irish Tweed" in web searches. It's not clear if Issy's is a frag or a shaving product, though
    Brent

I think I know what you mean. I believe it has that particular fabric patern (tweed) on the label.

Could well be from SIR. They have another one called 'Irisch Moss' (not a spelling mistake). Which is a great frag btw!
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Could well be from SIR. They have another one called 'Irisch Moss' (not a spelling mistake). Which is a great frag btw!
    Actually, it's spelled 'Moos'

I've been looking for that for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Actually, it's spelled 'Moos'

I've been looking for that for a while.
    LOL, you're right!

I have a small bottle in front of me. Do you know who made this? Could it be German, perhaps?

[edit] On closer inspection I see it has 4711 written on the top. So I guess it is indeed German.
    Last edited by Domingo; 24th April 2008 at 02:44 AM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

The Sir line belonged to Mühhlens, the makers of 4711. Irisch Moos was the bestseller, but there was also a Sir Champaca and a Sir Canada Cedar. Drugstore quality, not exactly earth-shaking IMHO. Sir Irisch Moos is still around, now held by Mäurer & Wirtz, makers of Tabac, who acquired Mühlens from Procter&Gamble.

Interesting read about the vintage Irish Tweed.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.