Code of Conduct

Default Terre d'Hermes smell-alikes?

Today a man went on the bus and he had a wonderful scent. It reminded me of the "wet stone"-note in Terre d'Hermes, but instead of citrus/orange peel it was something like strawberries/raspberries and also a light hint of clean/fresh smoke. I wanted to ask him what he was wearing, but I felt too awkward. Any ideas?
    Last edited by irrbloss; 23rd April 2008 at 03:54 PM.

Default Re: Terre d'Hermes smell-alikes?

Wow. Well I am convinced Terre d'Hermes has a big slug of Iso E Super in it - and from my wearing of Escentric Molecules stuff - I get clean/fresh, cedar and a sweetness that isn't citrus and isn't Amber.

Possibility if it is synthetic it might be CdG 2MAN, otherwise, I'd punt and say Guerlain Derby or L'Instant?
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 23rd April 2008 at 07:24 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Next time ask, "What cologne are you wearing?" Sounds simple, but trust me...Even if you end up being really embarassed, (which is the worst case scenario) you still end up knowing the name of the fragrance.

ya..please ask!! the mystery really kills me and haunts me after....the only time it has happened to me was 3-4 years back in a club...this guy was wearing somethin so unique and magnetic...damn, he almost had me drooling. i would purchase 100 bottles of tht scent if only i knew wht it was...it was on the darker side, yet pleasant and smoky..could be incense too..but was not heavy..the smell was so balanced and perfect...wow.
    Last edited by jenson; 23rd April 2008 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    [...] I wanted to ask him what he was wearing, but I felt too awkward. Any ideas?
    Wouldn't it just be funny if it were A*Men? I get a gourmandy-berry, also get smoke (tarry but lightly done), etc.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Basenotes Plus

Paul Smith Story has an earthy smell just like TDH, but it is a little sweeter. Can this be it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    Wouldn't it just be funny if it were A*Men? I get a gourmandy-berry, also get smoke (tarry but lightly done), etc.
    No way, I know my A*men, and will never wear it again.

Today a man went on the bus and he had a wonderful scent. It reminded me of the "wet stone"-note in Terre d'Hermes, but instead of citrus/orange peel it was something like strawberries/raspberries and also a light hint of clean/fresh smoke. I wanted to ask him what he was wearing, but I felt too awkward. Any ideas?
    Has to be the Cartier Declaration. i have always admired this one for its projection. it just smells so defined even from a distance. and yes, it has that fresh smoky nature.....
    Last edited by jenson; 23rd April 2008 at 08:23 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I think it's Declaration by Cartier. They have a few variations of Declaration (it's a little confusing) and think one of them's slightly fruity.

Have you smelled Declaration?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Have you smelled Declaration?
    No, never. Another one to add to the sample-list...

Paco Rabanne - Black XS maybe?

Anyway, as far as TDH smell alikes go, I think Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand is a more subdued version of TDH.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Paco Rabanne - Black XS maybe?

Anyway, as far as TDH smell alikes go, I think Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand is a more subdued version of TDH.
    Could have been, but Black XS is much sweeter and less smoky. It's something like a mix of Terre, Black XS and something more. I think I have to try layering them now...

Edit: just tried it, a pretty nice mix, but it wasn't really like that... Black XS is far to sweet even when layered with Terre.
    Last edited by irrbloss; 23rd April 2008 at 08:42 PM.

I recently got Bayres, by La Martina (a famous polo brand from Argentina,see link):http://www.lamartina.com/2007/special_perfum.php?bar=SP

It's like the earthy base of Terre d'Hermes without the orange grapefruit note.

It's fairly new also (last year october), but I doubt it was this one. No sweet notes at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Next time ask, "What cologne are you wearing?" Sounds simple, but trust me...Even if you end up being really embarassed, (which is the worst case scenario) you still end up knowing the name of the fragrance.
    Speaking of worst case scenarios...

A guy at work came to me with a problem that I solved for him. He had this really interesting fragrance that I couldn't quite place. I told him he had to tell me what it was, in payment for services rendered.

It was Old Spice Deodorant. Which I was wearing, too. And I'm still trying to figure out why it smells better on him than it does on me. ;-)

Which is a roundabout way of saying that you never know - maybe it actually was TdH.

PS - I have to try Declaration now. Thanks for the tip, jenson & mike.

Kenzo Air is similar to TdH to my nose, but it has aniseed in it too.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

No, never. Another one to add to the sample-list...
    Add that with a high priority, it is an absolute pleasure to smell.
    Edit: And report back on your experience.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 24th April 2008 at 09:39 PM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Add that with a high priority, it is an absolute pleasure to smell.
    Edit: And report back on your experience.
    Which one is it? As mentioned there are several version of Declaration.

The first. 1998. Red box.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120439.html
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

It couldn't be Black XS .... It isn't the least bit smoky.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    It couldn't be Black XS .... It isn't the least bit smoky.
    You could be right.
    I've never smelled it myself... but I've seen it mentioned here once as smelling like strawberries and the fog machine smoke you smell in clubs. Thats why I mentioned it.

It' will probably not be the answer to what this passenger may have been wearing, but my best answer is Cereus- - if Burr's nose is correct. Little surprised that he is recommending copycats of Hermes now . Burr gives Cereus Pour Homme (the entire line) 3 stars
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

French Lover / Bois d´Orage by Frederic Malle becomes in the drydown a bit like Terre d´Hermés or reminds me of it.

I had a house-cleaning product that smelled just like Terred`H...
    maybe that's why i have never made friends with it...

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    It' will probably not be the answer to what this passenger may have been wearing, but my best answer is Cereus- - if Burr's nose is correct. Little surprised that he is recommending copycats of Hermes now . Burr gives Cereus Pour Homme (the entire line) 3 stars
    I didn't "get" Cereus. When I sampled a couple, I got a big marine/freshness accord that drowned out the other notes.
    ===

What about these ones:
    -Tumulte by Christian Lacroix
    -Rocabbar by Hermes
    -Micheal by Micheal Kors
    -John Varvatos Vintage
    -Burberry London