Code of Conduct

Default Do you guys/ladies preserve/keep a frag you don't love just because it's different?

Some music while you read this silly question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AK5l...eature=related (it gets REALLY good around 5-6 minutes in)
    Now on to my Q
    It's strange, I find myself keeping these perfumes in my collection only because they are so remarkably different from everything else I have. I would have otherwise finished and tossed them long ago but I have this voice inside me telling me to save them because they are unique. I don't even want to smell like some of them, it's becoming more for the appreciation of them as pieces of art than grooming accessories. But this doesn't go for all things I consider olfactory marvels, let me give some examples:

Demeter Gingerale: WOW! After picking some of this stuff up for a song, I can honestly say that smelling this recreates the experience of opening a can/bottle of gingerale complete with the effervescent "tickle" of your nose from carbonation. But that is only from smelling the bottle. Spraying this on skin leaves me smelling of pure ginger within minutes, not something I desire. I enjoy this more as a novelty than a perfume. Maybe that novelty will wear off in time, but it is enough to make me want to keep the perfume...for now

Hammam Bouquet: I could tell from first sniff that this was a masterpiece of a fragrance. It smelled GOOOOOOD, the only problem was I didn't like it! It's like being a Henry Matisse freak and someone hands you an original Maxfield Parrish piece. You admire its quality, the depth of colors, the layers which define the most delicate nuances, but the piece just is not for you. It almost hurt to remove this from my collection and while I did regret it, I couldn't bring myself to wear it that often and it didn't please my nose enough for a reprieve. Same exact thing happened with Coriolan.

I could name others, my M7 I keep the last 1/4 oz in the bottle not to wear but simply to sniff once a month or so. My DK Unleaded I don't even like much and would never wear EVER! Yet darned if I don't keep a mini of it around because it smells like a band-aid!

Do any of you do this, keep perfumes more for your appreciation of them as olfactory artistry than something to perfume yourself with?
    Last edited by Vegas; 24th April 2008 at 01:41 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Do you guys/ladies preserve/keep a frag you don't love just because it's differen

Yes - I do this. I rarely wear CdG #3, since it's basically a synthetic, floral, aromatic scent that is just plain weird. But I can't imagine getting rid of it. Yet.

I think a lot of CBIHP fragrances fall into this category as well. They're so intellectual and nostalgic. And yet I don't want a rush of emotions and memories from my childhood flooding over me when I'm rushing to get ready for work and I grab your SOTD. Not me. But for those quiet moments in life (meditating, home alone on a Saturday with no errands to run, etc) scents like these are essential. In these concentrated moments when I can really give a fragrance my full attention, I love trying the stuff at the back of my wardrobe.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th April 2008 at 01:52 PM.

Default Re: Do you guys/ladies preserve/keep a frag you don't love just because it's differen

I tend to keep things that are rare or difficult to come by, even if I don't wear them (Guerlain's Parure extrait, Caron's Violette Precieuse).

I also have several that I don't really wear very often, but still keep (Apres l'Ondee, Mitousko in every concentration, Meteorites, L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, etc.) for unknown reasons.

I don't wear Sarrasins very often, but I would NEVER part with it.

I agree with Vegas about Hammam Bouquet - it smells like some rubbery/plasticy chemical and only starts smelling halfway decent after about two hours and you've washed most of it off by having yourself hosed down by the local fire department.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Demeter Gingerale: Spraying this on skin leaves me smelling of pure ginger within minutes, not something I desire.
    My experiences with Demeter GingerAle leave my skin scented with delicious clove moreso than actual ginger. Different roses for different noses I guess!

But to the point at hand: yes, I have hung on to my samples of Black Aoud JUST IN CASE one day I find I am able to overlook the nasty citronella-like accord that bothers me in it. I'm already in love with several of the other Aouds... but this one I will revisit later... just out of respect for the overwhelming number of BN'ers who swear by the stuff.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 24th April 2008 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks first of all for the lovely music, it is very soothing this fine morning. I adored the analogies you gave, they are very apropos.

I have an enormous collection of fragrance, and I am hard pressed to say I enjoy all of them. I actually dislike most of them at this point, which is so sad to say.
    I have questioned myself over and over as to why I needed to purchase all of the scents from l'Artisan, I truly only enjoy 2 (and one is discontinued).

I also wonder why I had continued to purchase Guerlain scents, just for being Guerlain, when they are truly un-appealing to me in any way.

I have kept all of them for the simple fact that they are what they are, and I felt obligated to keep 'my collection' of scents intact
    But the truth is, I have come to realize how selfish I am, when someone else would be loving (and wearing) these scents. So I have resigned myself to sell off at least 100 bottles of my collection, new and vintage, so others will be able to enjoy.

I really want to de-clutter my life; and having two large bins filled with fragrance I will not wear is a great place to start.

I guess I used to feel as you do, but now I feel it is better for someone else to enjoy the artistry of the scents I will never wear. So I will ebay it all next month.
    This is my cleansing/cathartic experience.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Blog Entries

In my small collection, there are a few:

Hanae Mori H.M. - Wore it a couple of times and appreciate the complexity of it. But there's a darkness to it that is somewhat off-putting. I appreciate it. Maybe just haven't found the right occasion for it.

Truefitt & Hill's and Trumper's Limes EdTs - Both have excellent top notes and I enjoy sniffing them. Their short life (under an hour) makes them "back of the cupboard" frags. T&H does have a light tobacco drydown on me which is nice. But also short lived.

Bulgari Black - Not really my kind of frag, but I appreciate the complexity and enjoy it. I'd probably enjoy it on another more.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

^ that raises a good point...I wish I could force the people I'm surrounded with everyday to wear some of the scents I own, but don't appreciate on myself.

Oh yes, I've done this previously and I'd do it again if I come across a frag that i dont love ... but will keep it because it's different enough.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I know I do. It's the ones that aren't different that I like to get rid of.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Perfect. I agree with Chris on this one. I only look to different, special things now. No more straight citrus,citrus/woody combos. Nothing too simple, nothing fleeting, nothing ordinary to my nose.
    Well blended, complex, lasting with some sillage, animalic, heady, timeless masterpieces!
    All subjective of course but I need a bigger fix after all these years.
    So to answer your question; yes, I keep the different ones and wear them almost to the exclusion of the ordinary ones.

Eric

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Exactly!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Another Chaconne while you read my mindless babble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_1hS...eature=related
    or for something modern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMy8lKG6Atc

Interesting, but what if the frag you once loved and was very unique now has a dozen different spin-offs? Would your love for the frag wane? I also share this exploration for uniqueness, but my nose wants what my nose wants, I might fall in love with something that's not terribly unique but I adore none the less.

Now I pose another question: Given a steady rate of new frag testing (say you try ~2 new frags a week), how often did you come across a really great frag in the beginning of your journey? How often would you find one a year or two later? Now when you did have a frag you really loved and you found something remarkably close, how often did you like your original frag more? How often was it the other way around?

How many of our beloved frags won a place near our hearts because they were part of an exploration into a completely unknown genre as opposed to belonging to a familiar genre and simply winning our noses over? I feel (even though it's been explored to death) I could still be enchanted by a citrus/woody combo when done right, at least I hope so. I guess I'm asking if a frag that is unique (say a frag with many accords we have never smelled) would win us over the same if it was experienced by itself with you having never smelled anything close to it, as opposed to testing a number of frags that shared an accord or two beforehand and then testing this frag.

I apologize for my scatterbrained post.
    Last edited by Vegas; 25th April 2008 at 02:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Interesting, but what if the frag you once loved and was very unique now has a dozen different spin-offs? Would your love for the frag wane? I also share this exploration for uniqueness, but my nose wants what my nose wants, I might fall in love with something that's not terribly unique but I adore none the less.
    Tossing an old love for a hot new spin-off is one of the sinful pleasures of fragrances. I love being a fragrance cad. Just today I reminded myself how crazy I am for Polo Double Black. Original Polo was one of my first decent colognes out of school. I almost never wear it any more. My son says it smells like "people with too much money". Whatever. I was madly in love with it at one time, but now I just keep it for reference, along with the other early Polo spin-offs like Crest. And I've got my eye on Explorer. I guess that makes me a Polo Polygamist.

Now I pose another question: Given a steady rate of new frag testing (say you try ~2 new frags a week), how often did you come across a really great frag in the beginning of your journey? How often would you find one a year or two later? Now when you did have a frag you really loved and you found something remarkably close, how often did you like your original frag more? How often was it the other way around?
    Again, I'm a meanie and a user to my frags. The answers to your questions depend on when you ask me. I'll find something new and flashy that's a lot like an old flame. I'll love it for a while, like there's nothing better, but then I'll get an itch to go back to the old one. And when I get bored with both of them, it's on to something even newer and completely different. But I horde them all, just like books, reminding myself of how much I loved them in the beginning.

How many of our beloved frags won a place near our hearts because they were part of an exploration into a completely unknown genre as opposed to belonging to a familiar genre and simply winning our noses over? I feel (even though it's been explored to death) I could still be enchanted by a citrus/woody combo when done right, at least I hope so. I guess I'm asking if a frag that is unique (say a frag with many accords we have never smelled) would win us over the same if it was experienced by itself with you having never smelled anything close to it, as opposed to testing a number of frags that shared an accord or two beforehand and then testing this frag.
    I've made big genre shifts in fragrances throughout my life, just as I did with relationships. But there are certain types that I'm more likely to go for, particularly at any stage in my life. Those types change. I like being open to the completely different scent, but still ready to find an incremental improvment on a known favorite. I think that being honest with myself about what I like is the most important thing. I've noticed that, when a fellow noob asks how to learn to like a scent, we noobs all respond with various tricks, but the old hands here always just say to accept that you like some things and not others, and simply move on. Slowly, I'm learning.

Older and wiser, I realize that there is beauty in all genres of fragrance, when done well. I won't limit myself any more. I may joke about Hello Kitty or granny floral fragrances, but I'll try anything now. I recently tried some floral samples from The Different Company, and I was flipping for things I would never have tried in my woody musky yuppie days. Right now, as a budding perfumisto, I'm noticing all the flowering trees and shrubs this spring with a new nose. Nature is good, and parfumeur is even better. Bring it on! :-)

PS - Brielle - you're a saint for passing on your extras. I'm kind of ga-ga for L'Artisan right now, so I may do some bidding on your sale items. Let us know when they go on the auction block. It will be for a good cause.