Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Favorite cheapie & favorite costly...

Hey, what's your favorite cheap frag? You know, the drugstore special you hate to admit loving...and the other end of the spectrum...what's your best loved budget buster?

My best cheapie is TABU

The one I love that's a bit more pricey...gotta be Luten's, either A La Nuit or Un Bois Vanille.

What about yours?

Default Re: Favorite cheapie & favorite costly...

favorite cheapies - although they're not that cheap, actually: Ysatis (20-30 at the Nordstrom Rack) and Dune (30-40 at the drugstore)

favorite pricey: Clive Christian X (I don't own the big boy bottle, just travel size), Chamade perfume, Philtre d' Amour

Mine's same as yours!!

Runner-up Tesco's Fig, Almond and Cassis which my Dealer (Sestra!!) tells me is like ten clams and GAWJUSS (although Sestra hates it!!)

And how about Amorito and Zestini and Rougeberry from TBS?? (M. Turin says BBW's Coconut LIme Verbena is suprior to my adored VIW - so I ordered it and will report!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I truly love many cheapies - I've gotten the most compliments on Toujours Moi and Vanilla Fields (which smells nothing like vanilla to me).
    Favorite expensive...hmm...that's a toughie, too. Chamade, L'heure bleue, or Mitsouko perfume (extrait), I guess. Hard to find nowadays.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

CHEAP-CHEAP: Guerlain Terracotta Voile d'Ete = $20-$30 for 100ml/3.4 oz.

$$$: Nanadebary Green = $70 for 50ml/1.7 oz. (and it's always back-ordered)

$$$: Hové Rue Royale = $85 for 30ml/1 oz.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Aside from Coty Wild Musk (which has already outed me for cheapies), I have really enjoyed Realities Sweet Desire. My skin really dries things out, so for me it is not the sicky-sweet that alot of people get from it. It has a fruity top note which they say is cassis but smells more like raspberry to me, then turns into a quite nice light-oriental-white-musk.

My favorite pricey one so far is Jicky EDP. I have tried some really high-end frags such as the Hermessances, and many niches, etc (but not any Amouage, yet). There may be an argument for Chanel 31 Rue Cambon as the best of those I have tried. I have not worn my sample enough to determine this yet, but have a feeling Jicky will always run deep with me.

Welcomewelcome Asha!! :wave:

Somehow I missed the expensive entry: if I bought it, it would be Habanita EDP which is three hundred clams - two hundred and fifty of which probably go into the Lalique bulb spray bottle. (But the juice is TO DIE for.) Right now I'm craving a bottle of Montales Sweet Oriental Dream - which ain't cheap.

In my current 'drobe, though, I don't think anything's hit the hundred mark.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Wow, you gals have some great smellin' frags!!!

My favorite cheapie is Tabu followed by L'Origan & Emeraude.

My favorite pricey (and the best quality/best smelling scent I own) is Midnight Tryst.
    Runners up would be Angelique Encens, Collection & L'Heure Bleue

Favorite cheapie: Max Mara

Favorite pricey: Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Sniff and let sniff.

It's hard to pick a favorite cheapie - there are quite a few worth mentioning - by my two newest cheapie acquisitions are Emeraude (why did I wait so long to fall for this one?) and Ulrich de Varens So Varens (there's something addictive about this powdery scent).

I actually think my favorite costly scent is easier to name: Ormonde Woman. I love Mitsouko and many of the Guerlian classics, as well as some of the Chanel's and Patou's, but I'm pretty well stocked up on those. Ormonde Woman is the one I'd buy more of, if I had the cash.

I think my favorite cheapie is Ralph Hot. I also like some of the Body Shop oils, White Musk, in particular.

Favorite exxy is harder to narrow down - today I am wearing SL Ambre Sultan, which is to die for and my HG amber scent. But my faves are Miss Dior and HABANITA.
    Come play with us (click on the Basenotes link) http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195893

My cheapie favorite is Body Shop Pink Pepper. Sweet and peppery and incense-y... YUM! So far, my favorite expensive is L'Artisan Fleur de Narcisse. Uber-YUM! :-)
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

my favourite cheapie is: Vanilla from The Body Shop

fav expensive is: Tubereuse Criminelle by SL

My favourite cheapies are Yves Rocher's Un Jour Se Leve and Cocoon.
    My favourite expensive scent Malle's Iris Poudre (I only have a sample)

Basenotes Plus

Favorite cheapies: Bonne Bell Skin Musk; Auric Blends Amber, Egyptian Goddess; and Brut.

Favorite expensives: Tabac Blond extrait, Fumerie Turque, MPG Ambre Precieux. Also JAR Golconda - don't own it but surely would, if I had the $400+ lying around.

There are many more in both categories, but these were first to come to mind.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Current favourite cheapies: Pure White Linen, Falling In Love

Favourite costlies: Carnal Flower, Nuits de Noho (a new favourite)

Favorite cheapies: Skin Musk, Coty's Wild Musk
    Favorite costlies: Everything else!

Favorite cheapie - Tabu
    Favorite costly - Tabac Blond extrait, hands down!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Cheapie: Chique (I think it's Coty, but I can't swear to it). About £5 for a huge bottle of cologne.

Expensive: Creed Vanisia, Shiaparelli Shocking, SL A La Nuit
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Cheapie: One doesn't spring to mind instantly, CK One, I also quite liked the limited edition Lynx Vice.

Expensive: Currently in love with Straight to Heaven and Moss Breeches, both veryyyy expensive!

Favourite Cheapie: Ma Griffe

Favourite Pricey: Le Parfum de Thérèse

Basenotes Institution

Cheap: Heritage by Guerlain
    Expensive: Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th April 2008 at 02:17 PM.

All these selections sound yummy! I'll be quick to try the cheapies...as for the $$$ higher priced selections, that will take some time.

Favourite cheapie: Madame Rochas, Stella Rose Absolute and SJP Lovely

Favourite costly: My Guerlains and Chanels.
    Last edited by Margareta; 27th April 2008 at 05:12 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Favourite cheapie: CK Contradiction and TBS Woody Sandalwood.
    Expensive: SL Chergui , Mitsouko , L'heure bleue and Chanel Cuir de russie.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 27th April 2008 at 05:28 PM.

Cheapie: Vanilla Musk (Coty)
    Expensive: Opium parfum
    Last edited by leffleur; 27th April 2008 at 05:29 PM.

My super cheap frag is Coty Wild Musk (of course!), while my most expensive love is SL Bois de Violette.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris.

A quality vanilla tobacco opening that dries to a vanilla-woodsy accord. Not overly sweet after a few minutes. The 3.3 oz EdT spray in the distinctive 'cigar' package can be had at a killer low price (about $7.50) from discount online stores. The Cuba Blue and Cuba Black are also very good and can be had at similarly low prices
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Cheapie: Van Cleef Murmure
    Expensive:Guerlains and Different Company Bois d'Iris

Fave cheapie: 5th Avenue
    Expensive: Fleurissimo
    Last edited by Frenchie Day; 29th April 2008 at 11:20 AM.

Cheapie: Yves Rocher Voile d´Ambre

Costly: SL Un Lys

Blog Entries

Favorite cheapie - Ciara
    Favorite pricey - Bois de Paradis
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

My favourite cheaper perfume is Neroli and Jasmine from The Body Shop.

And favourite expansive...
    Well, perfumes are in general much more expansive in the Czech Republic than in the U.S or West European countries, so all my other perfumes can be called expansive here.
    These are: Gucci Rush, Armani Sensi, Armani Night, Flower by Kenzo, Angel
    Angel is actually one of the most expansive perfumes in the Czech Republic - 25 ml costs now around 130 dollars.

Im lucky that i have a flight attendant friend who always buys me perfumes at the airports in Tel Aviv or in Dubai where perfumes and cosmetics are much more cheaper.

Cheapie....Auric Blends Egyptian Goddess

Money.....Serge Luten Un Lys

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I forgot to mention my other favorite cheapie, which is in the same $$$ range as Terracotta Voile d'Ete, and that is Molinard de Molinard. For $20-$30 you get an elegant, green-topped, Frenchie fragrance in a Lalique bottle sculpted with goddesses.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Cheapie: The Body Shop White Musk

Costly: Vol de Nuit (parfum) it is roughly 9.8USD per mil

Quote Originally Posted by neroli99 View Post
    Cheapie: Van Cleef Murmure
    Murmure is like walking through a white flower garden. As amazing as Fracas and Carnal Flower.

Hello! Yes,Murmure it smels beautiful,and bottle is gorgeus!

My cheapie of all times is Nenuco cologne (for kids). I don't mind spending money on Coromandel and Ambre Narguilé.

Cheapie - Ciara, Chantilly, Red Door, Vivid Costly - Bois des Iles, Flowerbomb

Favorite Cheapies - Crazylibellule and the Poppies Encens Mystic, Coty Wild Musk, Kiehl's Musk
    Favorite Costlies - Montale Blue Amber, Shalimar, Jicky, and too many Serge Lutens' to count.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Forgot to add SPARK by Liz Claiborn on the cheapie list. Yummy sweet amber

Too many favourite 'spennies' to list - but I'll just mention Hermes Ambre Narguile as my current besotment.
    Cheapies - ah, now I can talk!
    Tescos is a supermarket in the UK and they do great toiletries and fragances. Their 'Finest' range includes 4 pretty straight up copies of Jo Malone scents: red roses, an orientally one, a lime, mandarin and vetiver that's surprisingly good and my favourite: Fig almond and cassis. I gat hardly any almond or cassis but the fig is huge and green and wonderful. Plus 50mls costs £5. Cheap as chips, as we Brits say.

I love French supermarkets for the range of fragrances they sell - I always spend ages in the toiletries department. I love Eau De Cologne in the summer to cool you down as well as lightly scent you. My favourite is Mont St Michel Ambre Authentique and I bought a big splash bottle for pennies a few years ago. Most French supermarkets carry a range of different colognes, with variations on the theme - lavender, rosemary, citrus etc.

Also in French supermarkets I pick up pure Monoi oil - my latest cost me 5 Euros. It's not strictly a perfume, being used as a moisturiser for hair and skin, but since the coconut oil has tiare gardenia blossoms macerated in it, it's beautifully scented and leaves the skin with a lingering fragrance.

The famous Tabu must get a mention.
    And lots of other older 'classics' are now becoming available for pocket money: I have Madame Rochas, Blue Grass and Je Reviens, which I added to orders because they were available for just a few pounds. I love all of them.

Yves Rocher is always good value, especially their secrets d'essences range, which gets consistently good reviews on Basenotes. But their single note perfumes are good too - I bought a little bottle of their Vanille Bourbon for my daughter and it was really cheap but excellent vanilla - you'd be pushed to choose between it and a niche brand. Their Pur Desir range seems good too - I like their Mimosa and Gardenia scents. (Also good in solid perfumes.)

The Body Shop's Amorito is an excellent chocolate scent - the best I've smelled.

And those Crazy Libellule sticks are brilliant - you need one in your handbag!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Favorite cheapies: Jovan musk oil, Vanderbilt, Tabu, Sand & Sable, Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose, Florida Water cologne, Chantilly, Vanilla Fields. Various things from Marshalls such as Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia, which I think is very nice. I have a mini of Barbie Pink! (It's crap, but I like it - reminds me of the Rolling Stones song...I know it's only rock 'n roll...but I like it, like it, yes I do!).

Favorite costlies: No. 5 Sensual Elixir, Chanel No. 19, various Annick Goutals, Joy and Shalimar parfums, been exploring some of the Tom Fords lately and some classic Guerlains. This is as high $$$ as I go. Any fragrance that costs as much as rent (obscene) I cannot justify purchasing.

New favourite costlys! Escentric 02 and Moss Breeches
    New cheapie (well, relative to the other 2, £70 and £100 for 100mls!) Anvers - £40 for 100ml

cheapie: Ambre by L' Occitane, cheapest of cheap and soooooo good
    costly: per ml must be SL from my collection, otherwise Chinatown ( the one I have now is swapped)
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris.

A quality vanilla tobacco opening that dries to a vanilla-woodsy accord. Not overly sweet after a few minutes. The 3.3 oz EdT spray in the distinctive 'cigar' package can be had at a killer low price (about $7.50) from discount online stores. The Cuba Blue and Cuba Black are also very good and can be had at similarly low prices
    Havana has to be my favorite expensive. Still in production for delivery on other continent(s) I understand, but somewhat limited there. Devastatingly delicious, suave and sexy with a drydown to die for.
    Last edited by kbe; 18th October 2008 at 09:55 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Favorite cheapies: GAP Smooth Sandalwood and Windsong

Favorite expensivos: All of my expensive favorites are too expensive, but one I wish to own is Chanel No. 5 parfum.

Great thread (writing down everybody's cheapies and trying not to lemm over the costlies!)

Cheapies: Auric Blends Amber, Cristobal (under $20 online for an ounce plus beautiful bottle), Healing Garden Green Tea, Elizabeth Arden Green Tea

Costlies: Many, but here's a few: Tabac Blond extrait, DelRae Amoureuse, SL Chergui, 31 Rue de Cambon, Montale Black Aoud.

I still haven't broken the $100 mark in my collection but I've come really, really close.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Great thread - hoping to test drive some of the cheapie steers available over here...

My fave cheapie has to be Jasper Conran Woman - £9.99 for a gift set with scented cream. Actually that is not a drugstore cheapie so much as a normal designer fragrance that is being massively discounted in the UK.

Favourite costly scent has to be 31 Rue Cambon or Beige.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Cheap, Balmain, 'Ivoire'
    $$$ Strange Invisible Perfumes, ' Eleuria'

Mm, great thread!

VM, where are you seeing Jasper Conran Woman so cheap?

My current favourite cheapies are: oldie & goodie Byzance - big, soapy oriental now available at silly price, Y by YSL one the best chypres in the world; also now available at silly price. As for the real bargain basement, I also rate Un Jour se Lève by Yves Rocher (but a big minus goes to their UK mail order operation - it's got really bad recently and they're losing parcels and not very helpful when things go wrong). I like the sound of the Tesco finest perfume bargains, but haven't tried them yet. They're on offer until the 28th of October for under a fiver, so I sense a Tesco trip coming up. I don't normally shop there, but I do pop in for certain things that I can't get from other shops (ironic; they're meant to be the one-stop shop and I use them for special reasons instead).

As for expensive favourites, hah, where do I start? Currently the most favourite expensive choices are probably Datura Noir and Ambre Sultan (the latter of which is still on my wish list for a FB) and Charmes & Feuilles by The Different Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    VM, where are you seeing Jasper Conran Woman so cheap?
    Pretty much everywhere - Boots (comes and goes in there), Asda and Passion for Perfume are three definites I recall, but also one of the department stores like Debenhams or John Lewis had a deal on the same gift set. Very possibly Superdrug but I wasn't looking for it specifically when I was last in. I'd recommend keeping your eyes peeled generally. Failing that, these sets are going for a similar price on Ebay, or you can pick up the 30ml on its own for as little as £4.99! Criminal really. I will see if I can find you an image of the gift set box...

http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/Lad...l/invt/0010475

And escentual are doing it for the same price of under a tenner. Have a quick google and take your pick!

VM I hate civet
    Midlands President of the Jasper Conran Woman Supporters Club

"So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Cool, thanks! For some reason I've never seen it cheap anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post

VM I hate civet
    Midlands President of the Jasper Conran Woman Supporters Club

LOL!

Nukapia - when you go to Tesco's also have a sniff of their Finest vanilla creme shower doodah as it's a really good smoky vanilla that's not sweet sweet, if you know what I mean. Smells very Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille to me (well, without the booze and not as expensive, but you know what I mean: in the general department). Their candles look interesting too.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Nukapia - when you go to Tesco's also have a sniff of their Finest vanilla creme shower doodah as it's a really good smoky vanilla that's not sweet sweet, if you know what I mean. Smells very Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille to me (well, without the booze and not as expensive, but you know what I mean: in the general department). Their candles look interesting too.
    Thanks, I'll check that out next time - just got back from my first semi-successful trip!

Not sure about my favorite cheapy.....My favorite costly would be one of my Armani Prive Scents.
    Gary

Cheapie: Kuumba Made AMBER PASTE

$$$: Miller Harris L'AIR DE REIN

Cheapie - GAP White Amber. It opens kind of sharply, but after five minutes or so, it's amber heaven, with whispers of vanilla and incense. I also enjoy BBW Coconut lime verbena.

My more expensive current loves are CdG Avignon and L'Artisan Passage D'Enfer.