Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Mintea by Masaki Matsushima

First of all, there is absolutely noone discussing this fragrance on BN, I checked.

I smelled it this past weekend at Sephora, and although I was half expecting not to like it, it's the weirdest, most confusing scent I've smelled in quite a while. It markets itself as a mint, lemon, green tea floral - yet comes across as a light, immortelle sweet and hearty fragrance with a prominent cereal accord (think En Passant but stronger, minus the cucumber). Wow!

My husband asked for a sample, because we were both so impressed by it, we felt like we needed more time with it. Again, upon spraying it at home, it's nowhere near how it should smell given the list of notes - and classifies itself more as a transparent gourmand.

Plus the bottle is kinda cool too: http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...e=17-6681544-2
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th April 2008 at 11:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mintea by Masaki Matsushima

well i'm a big fan of Very Male by Matsushima...it's by far one of the most interesting scents around for men, IMO.....maybe your husband can check it out...

and i will surely check this one out with my wife. it's a woman's scent though isn't it?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    well i'm a big fan of Very Male by Matsushima...it's by far one of the most interesting scents around for men, IMO.....maybe your husband can check it out...

and i will surely check this one out with my wife. it's a woman's scent though isn't it?
    Very Male? The name cracks me up. It sounds like a Gaultier fragrance... Isn't that the anise one? I think I don't like it, if it's that one.

Yes, Mintea is marketed as a womans fragrance. Smells as unisex as Eau Noire by Dior (or Sables by Annick Goutal, for that matter).

The cereal accord really differentiates it though. The only frame of reference is, when I was growing up my mother went through this phase where she started baking bread from scratch. This was back in the 70's before housewives had bread machines. It was a long process, the kitchen full of flour everywhere. Mom yelling to me and my brother not to touch the loaf that was set out to rise. That yeasty/bready smell of dough permeated the house. One particular bread she used to make was Herb Bread. Who knows what actual herbs were in it - it was most likely ground spices you buy in the spice section of the supermarket. When the herb bread was baking the smells of this particular bread was quite distinct. It had a sour, aromatic, roasted wheat smell that hit the back of your throat - I remember the smell scenting the house for a couple days. Mintea reminds me of this smell.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th April 2008 at 11:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Very Male? The name cracks me up. It sounds like a Gaultier fragrance... Isn't that the anise one? I think I don't like it, if it's that one.

Yes, Mintea is marketed as a womans fragrance. Smells as unisex as Eau Noire by Dior (or Sables by Annick Goutal, for that matter).
    Mat Very Male is the one that smells like coffee, cardimum, black tea, and spices....it's very interesting and smells great....

i think Matsushima is a pretty creative perfume house...they come up with some very interesting scents. Most of their stuff is pretty unisex from what i've smelled.....

I'm still a bit haunted from smelling Mat Chocolate (or whatever its called)...blech. Anyway, this sounds intriguing, will definitely check out next time I'm at Sephora.

Before looking at the bottle, I was expecting it to be typical MM. It either looks like it has a hernia or a limb missing. LOL!

Thanks for the heads up.....I'll have to check this out.
    Gary

i want a "female" companion to connect with my very male.
    i also want an m;men and the mintea....but i need to reassess mintea and choco too
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Mat Very Male is the one that smells like coffee, cardimum, black tea, and spices....it's very interesting and smells great....
    That does sound good - actually it sounds like Kyoto a little.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'm still a bit haunted from smelling Mat Chocolate (or whatever its called)...blech. Anyway, this sounds intriguing, will definitely check out next time I'm at Sephora.
    Oh yes, the chocolate one. I stayed away from that one - I didn't even dare touch the bottle. I like some chocolate scents but that one is quite horrible. So incredibly synthetic. It reminded me of the smell of generic supermarket brand chocolate ice cream pops. Blech indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Before looking at the bottle, I was expecting it to be typical MM. It either looks like it has a hernia or a limb missing. LOL!
    The bottle is weird. It's also very top heavy - I kept waiting for it to fall over...like those Nasomotto bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk View Post
    i want a "female" companion to connect with my very male.
    Hey, wouldn't that be cute. Very Female, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Hey, wouldn't that be cute. Very Female, right?
    yeah but i meant was...shape wise...any of the womens fragrance with the corresponding shape...
    but yeah thats be nice
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Absolutely over the moon with Mintea. I am so tired from tipical fragrances and this one is so different and so..healing...I even decided to write a review. Will take me a day to construct in a right way but Mintea deserves those titanic efforts on 100%.