Code of Conduct

Default most wearable leather fragrance, which ones must i try?

left out the masculine powerhouses since i want something modern, slightly unisex, and not very rugged. i'm also not looking for an extremely complex scent. this is sort of a "i like leather and just want to smell good" thread. of the list i've only smelled hermes, lutens, trumper, and truefitt,

my list:
    caron tabac blond
    gft spanish leather
    gres cabochard
    helmut lang curion
    hermes eau d'hermes
    knize ten
    rober piguet bandit
    serge lutens cuir mauresque
    t&h spanish lather
    miller harris cuir d'oranger
    smn peau d'espagne

Default Re: most wearable leather fragrance, which ones must i try?

If you can come by the vintage Cabochard, I'd highly recommend it. The new stuff is swill.

Cuir de Russie by Chanel is also beautiful and unisex imo.

Today's Tabac Blond is meh, Eau d'Hermes smells more like cumin & eau de cologne than anything else, and Bandit scares me a bit.

I would second Chanel's Cuir de Russie,

and also add

L'Artisan Parfumeur's Dzing!

to your leather (animalistic leather)
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 22nd April 2008 at 01:39 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

You have to try John Varvatos. A perfect modern take on the leather theme... and it adds a delicious date note to boot
    Last edited by Amit; 22nd April 2008 at 01:44 PM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Oh, and if you like Knize 10, you should also try Creed's Royal English Leather. They dry down differently, so are worth sampling both if you like that sort of leather.

(smells of fine tooled leather)
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 22nd April 2008 at 02:19 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Sur la Plage

There is Tom Ford Tuscan Leather.

I also just recently sampled Jo Malone Napa Leather, which I thought was very nice.

I personally like Gres Cabochard.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 22nd April 2008 at 10:36 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

if you want a modern and not so bold leather themed scent I would avoid many of the scents you named since many are indeed old school, complex (and many of them beautiful) but also quite far from what I guess you are looking for.
    If you want something modern and with hints of leather I suggest you to try some of these:
    - Ulrich Lang Anvers: fresh attitude, modern with a suede base
    - Bond No.9 Bleecker street: another suede based juice with a green violets opening.
    Eau Sauvage Frecheur Cuir: a slightly leathery touch on the classic eau sauvage theme
    - Etro Gomma: a simpler and somehow easier (and a bit more modern) interpretation on the "Knize Ten" mood

You must try Cuir Ottoman, by Parfums d'Empire. It is a rich leather.

For modern, I would go with Cuir Mauresque and Dzing!

For timeless, Chanel Cuir de Russie and Bandit.

I think Bandit smells modern, though.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    if you want a modern and not so bold leather themed scent I would avoid many of the scents you named since many are indeed old school, complex (and many of them beautiful) but also quite far from what I guess you are looking for.
    I agree with Magnifiscent.

Fortunately or unfortunately, leather is my favorite family but the leathers you are interested in are the ones that interest me the least. In that respect, I may be able to help you by acting as your scent-opposite.

I prefer leathers that hit you in the face with a 2x4 - primarily with a prominent birch tar (Russian leather) note like Knize Ten and Kolnisch Juchten.

You may prefer Spanish Leathers such as Truefitt & Hill, Geo. Trumpers and SMN Peau D'espagne which are still rich but much softer.

I really like Tabac Blond, Cabochard, Eau d'Hermes, Cuir Mauresque, Bandit and Cuir d'Oranger - so you may not.

Cuiron, Bel Ami, Michael for Men, CdG 2Man, Declaration, Idole de Lubin (may be too bold), Ruehl No. 925 R-7, Daim Blond, Brooks Brothers 1818, Tom Ford Extreme and John Varvatos are excellent ones that I think you may like as well!

Keep us updated on your quest.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 22nd April 2008 at 07:32 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Off-Scenter

I too have to concur with Magnifiscent: your initial list is actually dominated by big, hard-hitting "powerhouse" leathers that do not fit the "modern, slightly unisex, and not very rugged" mold. For a mild mannered, unisex leather for everyday wear I'd second Therese's Cuir Ottoman suggestion and add Daim Blond and Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste.

Oh Daim Blond, how short-lived your sample was. I still fantasize about it!

thanks for the amazing suggestions.

will be trying cuir ottoman, dzing, gomma, john varvatos and t&h spanish leather.

daim blond sounds amazing but too expensive for a noob.

Burberry London has some pretty cool leather notes...

My experience with the leathers listed so far would be limited to Cabochard, Bandit, Tabac Blond and Chanel's CdR.

Of these, I think Bandit is definitely a no-go for you, because as TwoRoads suggests, it hits like a 2x4. I think the other 3 are actually quite mellow, with Cabochard probably being the the most straightforward and easiest to wear of the bunch. Having said that, I have to admit I haven't tried the current version of Cabochard, only the vintage version.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

can anyone give some add'l info on cuir ottoman? longevity, sillage, etc... the others on my second list seem to have enough info lying around in other threads but not much on CO.

Hmm.. Daim Blond. Daim Blond and I are going to run away and elope (because we can't afford a wedding after we ransom Daim from the store). If you have a chance you should try it and vintage Tabac Blond. I love Michael Kors' Michael for Men and Cartier's Declaration. Maybe those might be easier to find? Am looking for John Varvatos, have heard so many saying it's good..

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by ands View Post
    can anyone give some add'l info on cuir ottoman? longevity, sillage, etc... the others on my second list seem to have enough info lying around in other threads but not much on CO.
    There are plenty of reviews of Cuir Ottoman in the Directory, here: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126162.html

Ignore the "feminine" indication on the review page. Cuir Ottoman is utterly unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkou View Post
    Am looking for John Varvatos, have heard so many saying it's good..
    I didn't like john varvatos when I first whiffed it in the store, but on my initial testing now I may change my mind - I think I had gotten tired of sniffing things in the store. My wardrobe is quite small so i'll be looking to round it out in the near future and jv might have a place. The bottle is fantastic.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Blog Entries

I second the suggestion for Daim Blond (apricots & suede). I'm not a big leather guy, and I have to say that while I find Cuir Mauresque totally unwearable, I just love Daim Blond. It definitely fits the bill for "modern, slightly unisex, and not very rugged". You might even want to try Armani Privé Cuir Amethyste - it's a little more feminine due to the violet, and it's sweeter even than Daim Blond, but you never know.

I second the votes for Creed Royal English Leather - I find it a simple and elegant leather, with no sweet or animalic additions. Personally, if I was to suggest just one leather that fits the description 'I happen to like leather and I just smell good' this would be it.

Diam Blonde is lovely - apricots and soft soft suede. Gorgeous and gentle.

Tabac Blonde is quite floral on me, though this might be because I've been Dzinging lately and my tolerance might be a bit skewed. Great fragrance though.

Bulgari Black is a more complex leather concoction with added tar, rubber, smoke, black tea and vanilla. I love it because on me the leather and vanilla are dominant. It's definitely a 'try before you buy' case though - just look at how split the reviews in the directory are! Please do try this one if you get the chance to have a spritz - and try it on your skin - it seems to be one that reacts very differently on different people.

L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing! is for me the ultimate leather - it's a sweaty horse saddle. I love it, but I wouldn't wear it to church, if you know what I mean. However, on your skin who knows what will pop up? Could be candyfloss and sawdust on you. So also worth a try if only for curiosity's sake.

Parfums d'Empire Ambre Russe is deliciously boozy leather and Cuir Ottoman is rich and powerful. Sniff them and swoon. Colombina has lovely reviews on her blog:
    http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...pire-cuir.html
    Last edited by Wordbird; 30th April 2008 at 11:51 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Apologies if they've already been mentioned, however Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur and Etro Gomma are two further leathers that in my view perfectly fit the description of "modern, slightly unisex, and not very rugged".

The Etro is a slightly sweet herbal leather and the Heeley has a violet note - both very good.

Quote Originally Posted by ands View Post
    left out the masculine powerhouses since i want something modern, slightly unisex, and not very rugged. i'm also not looking for an extremely complex scent. this is sort of a "i like leather and just want to smell good" thread. of the list i've only smelled hermes, lutens, trumper, and truefitt,

my list:
    caron tabac blond
    gft spanish leather
    gres cabochard
    helmut lang curion
    hermes eau d'hermes
    knize ten
    rober piguet bandit
    serge lutens cuir mauresque
    t&h spanish lather
    miller harris cuir d'oranger
    smn peau d'espagne

The most wearable is Cuir Ottoman by Parfums d'Empire - Simply because there are no rough edges. The smoothest most refined easy to wear leather.

The others you list above are all nice choices, but all have one thing in common - 'Variable Wearability"
    Some will work on others and some not. Cuir Ottoman is the safe choice, and always wearable.