Code of Conduct

Default Looking for weird/unique fragrances.

Hi folks. My first post in here.

I currently using Clean Men, which i find very peculiar and nice. Here in Denmark the assortment in stores is quite minimal compared to what is available on the web.

I'm always searching for scents that are odd - I am tired of wearing popular scents that everyone else wears. eg. Issey Miyake, Cool Water, Armani etc. etc.
    Clean Is what I would call unique - just like Eternity, Egoïste and Dolce Gabbana. (the have something that can't be compared to other fragrances)

I would be happy if you would help me in my search for the unique.
    The weirder the better

Cheers, Jakob

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Looking for weird/unique fragrances.

Welcome to Basenotes!

Just to name a few:

Etat Libre d'Orange - Secretions Magnifique (unique and very weird)
    Alan Cumming - Cumming the Fragrance (unique)
    Annick Goutal - Eau du Fier (unique)
    Alexander McQueen - Kingdom (unique)
    Guerlain - Jicky (unique)
    Jean-Paul Gaultier - Fleur du Male (unique)
    Yves Saint-Laurent - Kouros (unique)

This is how I view them as either unique or weird - but others may see them differently.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 25th April 2008 at 02:32 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Anything from Comme des Garcons

Welcome to Basenotes!

Of what I own, I'd say Joop! Nightflight (never smelt anything like it) & Thierry Mugler Cologne.
    Another recent one that comes to mind is Bulgari Black. The vanilla basenotes are fairly common, but the top notes of black tea and rubber are very different to most other frags out there!
    I'd also vouch for YSL - Kouros and M7. I was very dissapointed when I went down to my local chemist to see if they still had the big bottle of M7 for 60$ and had sold it
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Some more:

Costume National - Scent Intense
    Czech & Speake - No88
    Comme des Garcons - Odeur 71 & Odeur 53

Hej Jakob! Hvordan går det?

If you're in Copenhagen, Illum in Strøget have recently created an excellent niche perfumery area in the fragrance floor. Check out some of the niche brands on offer there (Creed, Annick Goutal, L'Artisan etc).
    Also Magasin du Nord has an enormous range of scents (look for Tom Ford amongst many others).
    I live in Odense and the range is abysmal. Just spend an afternoon sniffing if you are in the capital, and explore!

Dimi
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 25th April 2008 at 02:17 PM.

Coincidentally I just sprayed on Eau d'Hermes before reading this. If you don't know how that applies to this post go smell it and you will
    Last edited by nthny; 25th April 2008 at 02:18 PM.

guys...did we misunderstand his question....

"Clean Is what I would call unique - just like Eternity, Egoïste and Dolce Gabbana. (the have something that can't be compared to other fragrances)"

btw, welcome Jakob !

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Kiilerich View Post
    I would be happy if you would help me in my search for the unique.
    The weirder the better
    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    I dont think so?
    "Unique" is open to each persons subjective interpretation. If its the "weirder the better" Jakob is after, then I think we've been quite soft with our responses (Secretions Magnifiques, anyone)?

Welcome!!

I will weigh in with:

Escentric Molecules "Molecule 01" and "Escentric 01"

And I second MikePerez23's vote for Comme des Garcons as a house. My favorties would be Odeur 53, Odeur 71, #3, 2, and 2 MAN - though the series are really good and unusual.

And ... CB I Hate Perfumes ... though those are more like scent experiences than perfumes!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 25th April 2008 at 02:39 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Yatagan
    L'Anarchiste
    Habit Rouge
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Parfum d'Habit
    Kouros (of course, of course!)
    Winter Star
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Tabacco Toscano
    Jean Pascal
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I think he meant unique by the fact that it doesn't smell like anything that everyone is wearing in his locale.

Then again, maybe he did mean it as "smells like nothing else."

Maybe Philosykos or L'Air Du Desert Marocain?

[QUOTE=jenson;1211328]guys...did we misunderstand his question....

"Clean Is what I would call unique - just like Eternity, Egoïste and Dolce Gabbana. (the have something that can't be compared to other fragrances)"

QUOTE]

Hey, it's not his fault that he can't spew out a handful of niche frags off the top of his head. It takes a month or two on the forums to really be on first-name basis (or should I say acronymic basis?) with all the houses in the strange and wonderful world beyond mass market scents. He'll learn soon enough if he hangs around, just like we all did.

Now, may I recommend:

Muscs Kublai Khan (Serge Lutens - call them up and ask them to send you the wax samples)
    Chergui (ditto)
    CdG Odeurs series
    Route du Vetiver & Jardin du Neroli (Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier)
    Dzing! (L'Artisan)
    Bulgari Black
    Yatagan & L'Anarchiste (Caron)
    Anything from Etat Libre d'Orange is pretty damn weird, but Secretions Magnifiques seems to be the most notorious of the lot
    Lonestar Memories (Tauer)

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    [...] Philosykos or L'Air Du Desert Marocain?
    For "uniqueness" those would do the trick. My favorite would be the latter of the two, but they both don't smell like the mass market at all, except one of the prominent notes in L'Air du Desert Morocain is much like Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely, so you may want to avoid that one to avoid confusion.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

btw, welcome Jakob !
    good point, but he did say "the weirder the better"...

Blog Entries

If you're comfortable with web purchases, check out the offerings from CB I Hate Perfume (www.cbihateperfume.com) and from Demeter (www.demeterfragrance.com). They both offer a lot of non-traditional scents. Both lines have their fans. They may even be available in Europe. Store locator/stockist info should be available on their websites.

Have fun!
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

For weid perfumes look for antiperfumes

CKBe, The synthetic series of CDG, some CB Ihate perfume offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    It takes a month or two on the forums to really be on first-name basis (or should I say acronymic basis?) with all the houses in the strange and wonderful world beyond mass market scents. He'll learn soon enough if he hangs around, just like we all did.
    You'll get no disagreement there - I've only been here about two weeks or so, but I feel as though my nose and vocabulary as it pertains to fragrance has already benefited 10-fold.

This is where I first learned about Creed also - I'm just waiting on my deliveries now.

[QUOTE=heythatslife;1211365]

QUOTE]

Hey, it's not his fault that he can't spew out a handful of niche frags off the top of his head. It takes a month or two on the forums to really be on first-name basis (or should I say acronymic basis?) with all the houses in the strange and wonderful world beyond mass market scents. He'll learn soon enough if he hangs around, just like we all did.
    hey...all i meant was probably he needs help finding a classy clean scent and not a MKK and CDG...im very grounded my friend and only a toddler in front of you all..learning to sniff thru this wonderful forum just the way Jakob would...
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    good point, but he did say "the weirder the better"...
    yup, rightsaid my frnd!

sorry guys.
    Last edited by jenson; 25th April 2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'd recommend sampling:

Nasomatto's Duro
    By Kilian's Cruel Intentions & Straight to Heaven
    Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain, Incense Extreme, Incense Rose, & Lonestar Memories
    Comme des Garçons (many of their offerings - as Mike wrote)
    Le Labo (e.g. Rose 31)
    Serge Lutens & Frederic Malle have a number of fragrances that border on the "weird" IMO
    Montale Aouds IMO are somewhat "weird"
    Diptyque has a number - such as "Tam Dao"
    Hermes, L'Artisan Parfumeur & Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier make a number truly great weird fragrances

Make sure you sample the above before buying. There are quite a number of online sites which sell samples for reasonable prices.

Herrera for men is a fragrance that comes to mind.

L'Artisan's Timbuktu fits the bill.

Habit Rouge. It's known as a classic, but I can't figure it out and like it anyway. Does that mean I'm one of the 'sophisticated barbarians' it's said to be for?
    BOIEK::LAPISHCHIN
    Tsar::0f::The::Samovar
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau d'Hermès and Habit Rouge
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver
    Gucci Envy and his bad brother Le Mâle
    English Leather (Dana) and Agua Lavanda (Puig)

I second the Scent Intense and Muscs Koublai Khan.

I'd add John Varvatos, Narciso Rodriguez for Him, Black Orchid and Tom Ford for Men Extreme. Note that these are not 'weird" but are certainly not among very popular ones that everyone else wears (or so I hope)

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

If you want a cheapo, try Vermeil (for men).

Cool Re: Looking for weird/unique fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapishchin View Post
    Habit Rouge. It's known as a classic, but I can't figure it out and like it anyway. Does that mean I'm one of the 'sophisticated barbarians' it's said to be for?

Yes.

Well now, some good suggestions. Yatagan of course and Bulgari Black and hm . .let's se if we missed any:

1. Quasar -----------------------------(Newsprint, bananas----and it's an aqua! )
    2. Xeryus Rouge--------------------( Sweet but not " vanilla sweet"--cactus flesh is one of the main notes )
    3. Ignition------------------------------(100% puro primo vanilla----if you're in to that sort of thing)
    4. Santa Maria Novella's---------( Well, like CdG--just about anything)

I'm somewhat partial to Nostalgia (motor oil) and Peau d' Espagna (tabasco sauce over a leather book cover )

Cheers,

Mario

P.S. No one, I hope is going to suggest Black Phoenix Alchemy lab to a newby?
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Hey everybody. Thanks a bunch for the warm welcome and interest in my requests. I'm going for samples already
    --------------------------------------
    I have ordered: (L'etat Libre D'orange)

Secretions Magnifiques (SM!)
    Charogne
    Eloge du Traitre
    Rien
    Anti-Hero
    Divin Enfant

(all samples)

This is gonna be exciting.
    If you would give me some thoughts and descriptions of these frags, I would be grateful.

Cheers
    Last edited by Jakob Kiilerich; 28th April 2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost