Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Default New JP Gaultier!

    A brand-new launch for JP Gaultier (OsMoz), and this year (unlike with Fleur du Mâle) the designer goes off into a different direction with this offering dubbed Monsieur "Eau du matin".

    The fragrance is supposed to prolong the bracing effect of a morning shower by combining notes of bergamot, various citrus derivatives, petitgrain and spices, along with cedar and gaiac wood essential oils in the base.

    Initially it strikes me as being akin to Mugler's Cologne, but I'm quite sure JP will give it a new twist.

    Hey, something to look forward to!

    Mar)
    Last edited by mariodefior; 14th March 2008 at 12:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    And heres a piccie to match Mariodefior's post...


  3. #3

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Thanks Dimitri!!

  4. #4

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    I guess, since his latest releases were a bit too "groundbraking" (feminine ,girly,gay whatever)and big sale flops in the mens department , they had to come up with something more conventional.

    The bottle design looks like a huge version of a Serge Lutens bottle.

    I'm excited and I hope we won't be dissapointed.
    Last edited by eric; 14th March 2008 at 01:05 PM.

  5. #5
    MFfan310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    3,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    The bottle design looks like a huge version of a Serge Lutens bottle.
    That doesn't surprise me... after all, both Serge Lutens and Beaute Prestige International (Gaultier's fragrance licensee) are Shiseido divisions.

    Still, this is part of a new Jean Paul Gaultier men's grooming line called "Monsieur" that replaces the Le Beau Male line. In addition to the fragrance, there's also a skincare line with face cleansers, moisturizers, eye care products, and such; along with bronzers, mascara, and a lip balm (sorry, no nail polish or lipstick this time).

    The line is launching in Europe as I speak, and should hit the US in April.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

  6. #6

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    And heres a piccie to match Mariodefior's post...

    This bottle makes me think of a crappy comedy club...

    "So WHAT is it with airline peanuts?..."


    It's a "Brickwaller", in Rock and Roll Confidential's "Hall of Doucehbags" parlance.


  7. #7

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Could it be? A JPG frag without vanilla? The bottle looks nice, a bit like paul smith story. I am a sucker for green fresh frags. Will this be sold a dept. stores nation wide or at exclusive locations?

  8. #8
    DULLAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I guess, since his latest releases were a bit too "groundbraking" (feminine ,girly,gay whatever)and big sale flops in the mens department , they had to come up with something more conventional.
    Let's hope.
    I dislike/uninterest every Gaultier I've smelled yet.

  9. #9
    renzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen - Belgium
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Look at the Gaultier website guys,

    its just a part of the new grooming line, called Monsieur...I would'nt call it a new frag

  10. #10

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    I hope this one has something original to it, and not something like Lacoste.

    The bottle looks good and yet way too simple.

  11. #11
    MFfan310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    3,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I am a sucker for green fresh frags. Will this be sold a dept. stores nation wide or at exclusive locations?
    IIRC, it will be sold at Sephora, as well as at selected department stores.

    (Read: it won't be everywhere, but if you have a Sephora close by, you'll be able to sample it quite easily.)
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

  12. #12
    Banned

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    I may just ask the Mrs to grab me a bottle of this blind. She's off to Austria on Sunday so Im hoping between the airport in Copenhagen, and the retail outlets in Vienna, she might spy a bottle.

    If this is Gaultier's answer to the extraordinary Mugler Cologne, I will be stoked.
    Top marks with it being another Francis Kirkdjian creation.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 14th March 2008 at 05:44 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    I was speaking to a sales assistant today who informed me that the fragrance would be £29 for 100ml bottle here.

    This is a good price as a lot of the new fragrances in the commercial designer market are going to be even more expensive in 50ml bottles.

    He described it as light and fresh with an initial blast of bergamot before the citrus side of the scent kicks in. It will debut in April in the Uk, at moe or less the same time as the Fleur De Male colgne and Isey Miyake summer edition.

    Lots to look forward to as always!

  14. #14
    Prince Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Nr Leeds
    Posts
    1,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    No doubt it will be another JPG chemically enhanced edition like everything else that has come out with his name on.. If the price of £29 for 100ml is anything to go by, it must be really cheap to produce. Then again, I may be proven wrong.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

    Roja Dove

  15. #15
    Banned

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Ok I had the opportunity to sample this today as it was on counter at our local department store.

    I have to say (just as I'd expected), this is Gaultier's very cheeky answer to Mugler's Cologne.
    Its everything you imagine in a light, refreshing, uplifting tonic, and is very similar in style and smell to 'Cologne'. there's NO doubt about it.
    If someone were to buy this blind, I dont think they would be disappointed if they were looking for a non-offensive "clean" scent; its "Cologne" like accords collide with some predictable fleeting strains of "Acqua di Gio". They would be disappointed however if hoping for something not already on the market. The "Friction" aspect of the scent is just a marketing mechanism, and contributes little to how the scent is actually perceived on the skin. In fact I found rubbing it enthusiastically (as demonstrated by my over-zealous SA), actually helped remove the scent from my arm.

    Well surely this will sell hand over fist to teens and men who think they're buying a "ripper new after-shave". As for Basenoters, I think the general consensus will be that Mugler did it such an exceptional job creating Cologne... why even bother with this?

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Aren't there any photos with handsome sailors?


    .

  17. #17
    Banned

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Um, no.

  18. #18
    MFfan310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    3,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I have to say (just as I'd expected), this is Gaultier's very cheeky answer to Mugler's Cologne.
    Its everything you imagine in a light, refreshing, uplifting tonic, and is very similar in style and smell to 'Cologne'. there's NO doubt about it.
    If someone were to buy this blind, I dont think they would be disappointed if they were looking for a non-offensive "clean" scent; its "Cologne" like accords collide with some predictable fleeting strains of "Acqua di Gio". They would be disappointed however if hoping for something not already on the market. The "Friction" aspect of the scent is just a marketing mechanism, and contributes little to how the scent is actually perceived on the skin. In fact I found rubbing it enthusiastically (as demonstrated by my over-zealous SA), actually helped remove the scent from my arm.

    Well surely this will sell hand over fist to teens and men who think they're buying a "ripper new after-shave". As for Basenoters, I think the general consensus will be that Mugler did it such an exceptional job creating Cologne... why even bother with this?
    Because they can.

    I have a ton of respect for BPI (after all, I know one of their reps very well), but this reminds me of seeing a car commercial from 1978 on YouTube when Ford Motor Company made a $4,600 ($16,500 in today's money) car named the "Granada ESS" where they compared it to a $20,000 ($72,000 today) Mercedes-Benz. You couldn't fool me!

    Still, people want the real thing... whether it's cars or fragrance. Witness why Acqua di Gio outsells all the ozonic clones (and why most competitors have pretty much given up on the AdG clone business). Same goes for Angel outselling all the wannabes.

    Unfortunately, I asked the BPI rep here if her store will be getting it... she said that it will probably be exclusive to Nordstrom and Sephora in the USA (and there's neither of those stores here). Too bad... she and the Clarins/Mugler rep could have had some funny exchanges!
    Last edited by MFfan310; 25th March 2008 at 01:29 PM.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

  19. #19
    Banned

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Im also an ex-BPI rep (and Mugler/Clarins rep prior to that) so I also hold both houses in very high stead.
    Mugler Cologne is the superior scent to my mind, and I think Gaultier's new addition will fade into obscurity in no time at all.

  20. #20

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    I love Mugler Cologne, so I'll at least have a sample sessing with this new JPG.

    Thank god it's not a green "Hulk" torso.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

    Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

    Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

  21. #21
    manicboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    I love Mugler Cologne, so I'll at least have a sample sessing with this new JPG.

    Thank god it's not a green "Hulk" torso.
    Yeah, I keep picturing the Hulk breaking thru that wall on the bottle.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

    Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait


    My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

  22. #22

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    It would be more like a green Leprecon torso

  23. #23
    Fiorello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis / Venezia
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    This bottle makes me think of a crappy comedy club...

    "So WHAT is it with airline peanuts?..."


    It's a "Brickwaller", in Rock and Roll Confidential's "Hall of Doucehbags" parlance.

    That's absolutely, freakin' hilarious! Exactement!

  24. #24
    MFfan310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    3,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    I just noticed that the old Jean Paul Gaultier Le Beau Male line has vanished completely from the Sephora website. No bronzers, no lipsticks, no mascara, nothing.

    Me thinks Sephora is getting ready to stock the new JPG Monsieur line, including the fragrance, ASAP...
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

  25. #25
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New JP Gaultier!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Ok I had the opportunity to sample this today as it was on counter at our local department store.

    I have to say (just as I'd expected), this is Gaultier's very cheeky answer to Mugler's Cologne.
    Its everything you imagine in a light, refreshing, uplifting tonic, and is very similar in style and smell to 'Cologne'. there's NO doubt about it.
    If someone were to buy this blind, I dont think they would be disappointed if they were looking for a non-offensive "clean" scent; its "Cologne" like accords collide with some predictable fleeting strains of "Acqua di Gio". They would be disappointed however if hoping for something not already on the market. The "Friction" aspect of the scent is just a marketing mechanism, and contributes little to how the scent is actually perceived on the skin. In fact I found rubbing it enthusiastically (as demonstrated by my over-zealous SA), actually helped remove the scent from my arm.

    Well surely this will sell hand over fist to teens and men who think they're buying a "ripper new after-shave". As for Basenoters, I think the general consensus will be that Mugler did it such an exceptional job creating Cologne... why even bother with this?
    I sampled this at Bloomingdales yesterday, and I agree with Dimitri. It is definitley Gaultier's attempt to compete with Mugler Cologne. However, I think it is a very poor attempt. While it is not offensive (it's a fresh, clean scent), it certainly isn't anything ground-breaking. I personally think it does not even hold a candle to Mugler Cologne - based on scent, longevity, sillage, etc.

    If you have Mugler Colgone, I do not think you will not need or want to buy this. If you do not have Mugler Cologne, I would suggest purchasing that over JPG Monsieur.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 28th April 2008 at 01:41 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •