Code of Conduct

Default is niche a better value than designer?

is it more expensive but higher quality? is designer extremely cheap with ridiculous mark up? or is designer close and made once niche perfumes available?

Default Re: is niche a better value than designer?

There is really no straight formula. There may be designer scents that are comparable or better than some niche. There may be drugstore classics that do that. Niche or designer doesn't really guarantee quality nor value. And in the end, it's very personal and subjective. Your nose will decide.
    It really depends on what scent and which house. You'll quickly learn which ones, once you spend some time here.You want to test and experiment as much as possible.
    Good luck and have fun!
    RM

Post Thanks / Like

Good response RM. I'd rather wear D&G By - Man than Chergui to get animalic and weird notes. Also lasting power and sillage.

Then again, I'd rather wear Black Aoud than A*men to announce arrival and get strange looks and comments

All depends on YOUR preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed! Just because it's niche doesn't necessarily mean it's good, while just because it's designer doesn't necessarily mean it's poor. If you like a fragrance and think its price isn't exorbitant, then treat it like a good value!
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HughLloyd View Post
    Indeed! Just because it's niche doesn't necessarily mean it's good, while just because it's designer doesn't necessarily mean it's poor. If you like a fragrance and think its price isn't exorbitant, then treat it like a good value!
    Agreed, Escentric 01 comes to mind immediately. How much is it costing them to fill a bottle with Iso Super E, to then turn around and sell it for $200 a pop?
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is like trying to decide between synthetic and natural ingredients. They both have their ups and downs but really they are a pair. Some designer fragrances suck because they are cheap (meaning they use low quality ingredients, both synthetic and natural). They are usually inexpensive, but slap a designer name on there and you've got a highly profitable product. Niche has to rely exclusively on reputation so they tend to be better made products.

The issue is your own personal view on the matter of preference. I like Cool Water, but I also like Mechant Loup by L'Artisan. One costed me $20 and one $120. I would wear either of them in a second because they are both good to me. The value?... you assign value to whatever means the most to you. If you get a good deal on a popular fragrance, then that is value. Is it worth buying a whole bunch of designer fragrances because they cost so little or niche fragrances because they have better "quality," I don't know...

Don't lump everything into black and white categories. Some designers use great ingredients, thus the quality would improve. But if you like a scent, who cares what's in it... right?

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about loaded questions they seem to lean towards niche preference (though I did not understand the last one).

My answer is no, not 100% of the times.
    90%? still no.
    60? maybe. But still, There are thousands of fragrances I do not know (Des & Ni) for my opinion to be valid.

On the niche side: because of availability, most of us only test what others have found to be good or interesting. A house can have 15 mediocre frags that no one will test and 5 frags people constantly rave about and go and test them. On the designer side, you can pretty much know a house on the same visit to a department store. and there you will sample the good, the bad and the ugly.

To wring all the value out of what's out there you have to be very clever. Some designer fragrances are absolutely a bargain. For example: Zino by Davidoff, can be found for $15 on-line. Tiffany for Men at full the full price of $55 is represents value, too. The Guerlain's are truly values at their low full prices, too.
    Niche scents are rarely discounted, except for the endless supply of Creed and Annick Goutal stock on line.
    If you want value, you have to get a good deal. Some very fine Etro scents showed up at Marshall's recently and they more than likely are history by now. But, at $19.99 or $105, they still offer value.
    Liz Claiborne's offerings, on the other hand, are not a bargain at any price.
    It's like wine. Good Champagne is always pricey, but a fantastic Spanish Cava can always be found for under $10.
    SHOP, SHOP, SHOP.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th April 2008 at 01:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Niche is lousier value by far.
    They usually cost heaps more than designer scents,
    They never get discounted heavily like designer scents,
    They usually don't have the longevity or the sillage of designer scents (but some do),
    They rarely if ever get you any compliments,
    They rarely if ever get you girls or women going "Ooo what are you wearing?" type comments,
    They often have more "natural' ingredients, and rawer forms of the essential oils in them, giving many a herbally or pot pourri type feel about them,
    Few have a synthetic feel about them, that one is more likely to encounter in designer scents,
    Very many are the newer style of unisex scent where they mix components together that were traditionally seen as unambiguously men's or women's, and then call them unisex (whereas the old style unisex left most of those components out).
    Some often mentioned here as men's ones, seem a tad too feminine for my taste - at least in their initial topnote stage,
    Connoisseurs think they are marvellous, well balanced works of art and fine composition (and some are),
    They have great snob value - many are "exclusive" (to people who will part with the money),
    They have great value to people who want to be different from the run of the mill,

That said, they are great fun to track down and test in the fewer stores that carry them. I even own quite a few - most of which I got very cheap at closing down sales.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th April 2008 at 04:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The best value is what appeals to you. Irregardless of price you have to go with what you like and what works for you. There are tons of great scents that are both designer and niche, expensive and less expensive - you have to love it for value to be there. Its a subjective experience and choice. Niche fragrances normally have better ingredients but they are also often more experimental in the formulation. That can be really good or really bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Agreed, Escentric 01 comes to mind immediately. How much is it costing them to fill a bottle with Iso Super E, to then turn around and sell it for $200 a pop?
    It's molecule 01 thats just Iso Super E and Molecule 02 thats Ambraxoan. The Escentric 01 and Esentric 02 are actually blends, i'm quite fond of both, and would pay that price

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It's molecule 01 thats just Iso Super E and Molecule 02 thats Ambraxoan. The Escentric 01 and Esentric 02 are actually blends, i'm quite fond of both, and would pay that price
    I wasn't paying attention, it is Molecule 01. It's also $210 for a 100mL bottle so I stand by what I said. :P
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Post Thanks / Like

I highly doubt that, it's £59 for the 01s and £69.50 for the 02s at Harvey Nichols (http://shop.harveynichols.com/fcp/Br...etFilters=true) i've seen the 01s in the US for $135 at most places.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You're missing the point. $135 is still too much when Iso E Super can be bought at $9 an ounce by ordinary people like me, and I'm sure a company like Escentric Molecules buys in bulk and gets it even cheaper.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to argue or come across as abrasive, as I don't not like you. But, i'm agreeing with you on the Molecules, but the Escentrics are actually quite nice, and they're real perfumes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I'm up past my bedtime, I think.

Happy birthday!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Post Thanks / Like

Thank-you