Code of Conduct

Default Ebay buyers/bidders name...

I noticed many BUYERS name on ebay starts with a letter and has two ** and ends with a letter. For example, a**a or o**o or something along those lines. Any insight would be helpful as I'm sure it's not random. My first guess would be some kind of company buying up cheap cologne and each name is just a employee purchasing the item. Wild guess of course.
    Last edited by nyczhoey; 27th May 2008 at 05:34 PM.
    question the Question!!

Default Re: Ebay buyers/bidders name...

I recently asked Ebay about this. It's due to a very recent change on Ebay where they want to protect the buyers' identity to avoid any cheating email afterwards. I really like this new privacy on Ebay. You see your own identity when logged on, but no one else can see who you are, as your 'nick' is changed into some pseudo like you describe here.

Quote Originally Posted by nyczhoey View Post
    I noticed many BUYERS name on ebay starts with a letter and has two ** and ends with a letter. For example, a**a or o**o or something along those lines. Any insight would be helpful as I'm sure it's not random. My first guess would be some kind of company buying up cheap cologne and each name is just a employee purchasing the item. Wild guess of course.

This is totally new it seems, and I have not tried to read whatever rule that may be based on. My own (buyers) name was converted to asterix and letters. I won the auctions so it didn't nag me.
    Last edited by narcus; 27th May 2008 at 05:44 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Since this policy has been in effect, I have received much less SPAM than before. It works.