Code of Conduct

Default Dolce and Gabanna pH?

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this? Whether you actually like it, longevity, cloying / headache factor, whether it can be worn in warm weather, etc?
    Yes I know its common, yes I know its old, but I must say I enjoyed it when I tried it.

I have been wearing the bottle of le Male my girlfriend got me alot lately, but sometimes find it a bit cloying, especially once its dried down to the vanilla-heavy base.

I've tried D&G pH on my wrist and enjoyed it, especially the tabacco, tonka bean basenotes. It actually reminds me of laying a shirt that I wore whilst wearing le Male across my computer chair and letting the fumes permeate off it, funnily enough.

The chemist near my house has big bottles (125mls) of D&G pH and le Male for 60$ AU; I'm thinking if my job interview on Wednesday goes well, I might get either (or both, if they give me the job there and then!)
    Another alternative is Versace's The Dreamer, but nearly everywhere I go has no testers of this one, so it'd be a blind buy!
    Last edited by Anthony87; 26th April 2008 at 04:48 PM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Default Re: Dolce and Gabanna pH?

I think it's one of the best fragrances in the drydown. I'm always amazed at how nice it smells after about 1 hour or so. I'm not so thrilled about the top notes, but I don't mind waiting because the basenotes are really that good!

Unfortunately, too many people were wearing it back in the day, and so I don't turn to it often now, but I think it's due for a comeback soon!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Yeah I get a slightly soapy vibe in the dry-down, but I loved it. I just dont know if its redundant with le male in my wardrobe, or whether it would make le male redundant!

I've never gotten a headache from it, and I really enjoy it for most of the day, but get pretty sick of it by the end of either a day or two. Longevity is extremely good on me. It's not a sweet oriental, so I don't see how either it or Le Male would make each other redundant.

Dreamer is an oriental, a bit fresher than D&G Homme, though it doesn't quite last as long on me. I don't find it as cloying as D&G. It has the weirdest, wildest opening of just about any scent I've ever tried. You either get addicted to it and have to buy it, or you dislike it intensely.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th April 2008 at 05:17 PM.

I was told in another threat that, considerring I love Nightflight, Dreamer's opening would 'tickle my pickle'

smeller

I sold mine this week, and I glad I did it.

On me, cigarrettes and sweet fruits are the major actors of D. G. Not my thing, but not unpleasant also. It's a matter of taste - I enjoy scents like Paco Rabanne, Habit Rouge, Polo Green and Aramis, and I bet you don't.

Your previous thing was Le Male? That's the first I decided to sold, and every time I catch it on the streets, I'm so glad I did it... This one I really can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    I sold mine this week, and I glad I did it.

On me, cigarrettes and sweet fruits are the major actors of D. G. Not my thing, but not unpleasant also. It's a matter of taste - I enjoy scents like Paco Rabanne, Habit Rouge, Polo Green and Aramis, and I bet you don't.

Your previous thing was Le Male? That's the first I decided to sold, and every time I catch it on the streets, I'm so glad I did it... This one I really can't stand.
    I still like wearing le Male, and my girlfriend would get pretty offended if I tried to get rid of it considerring she got it for me for christmas! I actually wore it tonight to her 21st and got compliments from 2 of her friends, so it must not be just her that likes it haha...

But I didn't mind Polo Green; I felt it was a bit out of my age-group, definately, along with Aramis and Paco Rabanne, but thats just my opinion. As for more 'grown up' fragrances; I love my bottle of Rive Gauche, and wear it whenever an occaision calls for a serious, grown-up me (I'll be wearing it next Wednesday), but while I'm young, confident and good looking ( ) Id rather stick with my fresh, sweet, loud frags!
    Last edited by Anthony87; 26th April 2008 at 05:32 PM.

If you're going to wear it, use a light hand ... its one of the strongest scents I've ever encounter. Personally, I hate it on me, but its one of those scents that I just love on others.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

I took a snif or Joop. Wow! strong. Then sniffed D&G PH "Wooooaah Cloying!"
    FAstest induced headeache: 10 seconds.

A review of Cuba Red claimed that it was like D&G PH. Reviews of Cuba Gold claimed that it was like Le Male. Since I have both of these (and they are super cheap) and like them (Gold I like a lot, Red I like once or twice a month), I never saw the need to try D&G or LM. I'd suggest at least picking up a Gold (I got a 1.17 ounce EDT for $3 once), because after the first few minutes, which I don't like much, it is great for 5 hours or more.

I own and enjoy both The Dreamer and D&G PH. Neither will get cloying as long as you don't overspray, i apply about three shots to the chest maximum.

They're both unique fragrances...nothing else smells like them.
    Last edited by knightowl; 26th April 2008 at 09:20 PM.

I like the dreamer but can't stand DGPH

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I like the dreamer but can't stand DGPH
    Ditto.

I have tried sampling D&G PH for many years, and there is just something about it that does not appeal to me.

Well guys, my interview today went great, so I figured I'll treat myself to something tomorow Looking like the dreamer at this point! Dior Homme is a possibility, but I'm a bit concerned about lack of longevity... Tried it today and it was great for 2 hours, then it sorta died :/
    Any last opinions?
    Last edited by Anthony87; 30th April 2008 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Another alternative is Versace's The Dreamer, but nearly everywhere I go has no testers of this one, so it'd be a blind buy!
    I buy a lot of fragrances blind and several times I almost blind-bought The Dreamer. Something always held me back and now, after sampling it, I am glad I showed restraint. It is a very nice fragrance and the personal favorite of a good friend who is the proprietor of a local fragrance shop, but The Dreamer is not me.

I much prefer your other choice: Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    A review of Cuba Red claimed that it was like D&G PH. Reviews of Cuba Gold claimed that it was like Le Male. Since I have both of these (and they are super cheap) and like them (Gold I like a lot, Red I like once or twice a month), I never saw the need to try D&G or LM. I'd suggest at least picking up a Gold (I got a 1.17 ounce EDT for $3 once), because after the first few minutes, which I don't like much, it is great for 5 hours or more.
    Cuba Red and Gold are okay. Gold may be reminiscent of Le Male somewhat, but other than perhaps for style, Red doesn't remind me of D&G Homme at all.
    Renato

Already a modern classic IMO.
    Theres not much I can fault with this scent, except perhaps its saturation in the mainstream market.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Well guys, my interview today went great, so I figured I'll treat myself to something tomorow Looking like the dreamer at this point! Dior Homme is a possibility, but I'm a bit concerned about lack of longevity... Tried it today and it was great for 2 hours, then it sorta died :/
    Any last opinions?
    I persoanlly have not tried it, but I know there is also Dior Homme Intense.

I usually use Dior Homme at night, so longevity for me has not been a problem.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread