Code of Conduct

Question Chanel Pour Monsieur

Turin gave Chanel Pour Monsieur four stars and Pour Monsieur Concentre only one star. Feeling curious, I went to Saks Fifth Avenue to experience the difference for myself. I was told by the sales associate that only the Concentre formulation is available in USA. The original Pour Monsieur is available in Europe according to the sales associate. Concentre's top notes smells very lavenderish on me and the chypre part was not very obvious, even after dry down. Do you agree that the Concentre version is very different (and inferior) from the original Pour Monsieur? Thank you.

Default Re: Chanel Pour Monsieur

I haven't tried either, but I heard that they are world's apart.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, I can't be of any help comparing the two. I own and love PM but have not tested the Concentree yet.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drleekyong View Post
    Turin gave Chanel Pour Monsieur four stars and Pour Monsieur Concentre only one star. Feeling curious, I went to Saks Fifth Avenue to experience the difference for myself. I was told by the sales associate that only the Concentre formulation is available in USA. The original Pour Monsieur is available in Europe according to the sales associate. Concentre's top notes smells very lavenderish on me and the chypre part was not very obvious, even after dry down. Do you agree that the Concentre version is very different (and inferior) from the original Pour Monsieur? Thank you.
    The SA lied to you. You can get the original at any Chanel boutique in the USA. The Concentrée is a lavender-based fougère, as you say, and the original is a chypre. A beautiful one. The original is definitely superior. It's one of the most elegant and masculine scents available, to my nose.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

They're very different, yes, but I don't think either is inferior to the other. I don't think the world of either, but both are above average. Concentree would have a great reputation if it weren't burdened by the reputation of the earlier Pour Monsieur and compared to it always. If you've smelled Concentree and like it, get it and feel great, because that's how you should feel with it.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Pour Monsieur is one of the best I know. It's a chypre with very little sweetness. PM Concentrée is a sweet woody oriental that I would have given 2 stars. Turin might have removed a star because they used the Pour Monsieur name on a fragrance that had nothing in common with the original.

The most recent version of Pour Monsieur is a little sweeter and not quite as deep, rich and mossy.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th April 2008 at 01:59 AM.

I prefer the original over the concentree.

...and to my nose the Concentree version is almost identical to Tiffany For Men. This worked out great for me because Chanel is a better bargain (and easier to buy) than TFM.

I own the original, haven't checked the concentree version yet.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I HATE WHEN CHANEL USES THE SAME NAME ON FRAGRANCES THAT ARE NOT RELATED AT AL!!! (rant #294 about the same point)
    and then the lying SAs. I have sampled PM on USA and Mex.
    I also prefer the original version.

I have tried the original several times, but I am drawn to the Concentrée.

I actually saw the original in a Sephora in Las Vegas last month. Passed. Still drawn to the Concentrée.
    Last edited by OKJazz; 27th April 2008 at 05:09 AM.

Then nutmeg and powder in Concentree are awfully good. Longevity is certainly on the side of Concentree as well. Make no mistake, the first one is a great one too, but concentree sure is no dirt.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I have the original PM as well as the Concentree. They are both wonderful. I tend to use the original PM on a more regular basis. It is not too overpowering and I find it light and pleasant -especially on a Spring day. The Concentree I prefer on slightly colder days. It is a more spicy fragrance ..nutmeg I beleive is the more prominent note in this version. The Concentree, like the original, will always have a place in my wardrobe.
    Last edited by laroche; 27th April 2008 at 05:40 AM.

Not one of Chanel's best marketing moves. Especially putting the word Concentree in smaller letters than Pour Monsieur and down at the bottom. Almost like they were intentionally trying to dupe people. I am in agreement that the two are different scents. Both are very nice though.

Our local Sephora also has the original

The top notes in the original are to die for.

However, I could never really come to the concentree. Too much nutmeg puts me off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The most recent version of Pour Monsieur is a little sweeter and not quite as deep, rich and mossy.
    You know, I noticed that. I have an older bottle of Pour Monsieur and noticed it was mossy/powdery and deep. I tried a new bottle of it and it was sweet and anise and smelled much more "modern" and less elegant. I found both very pleasant, but I am glad I have the one I do since well constructed mossy fragrances are becoming much more rare.

Sneaky Jedi mind trick Chanel played on us!
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris