Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance to wear for prom

I was thinking Gucci Envy, Escada PH, or Musc Ravageur but I'm not sure. Also was thinking of Burberry Brit, Ungaro III, and probbaly some others I'm forgetting. Any other suggestions. I'll be wearing a classic tuxedo and I'm 18. I was also thinking of Dior Homme but I'd have to obtain it somewhere before this upcoming friday.

edit: It's gonna be hot after all the dancing so I'm thinking I don't want something TOO heavy. It's not a dinner party, but a dance. Possibly Bvlgari Aqua, Unbound, or Baldessarini as well.
    Last edited by Spiritussancti; 27th April 2008 at 06:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fragrance to wear for prom

Gucci Envy would probably suit the classic tuxedo look better, but... I'd go with Musc Ravageur anyway.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a dance, then I think Musc Ravageur would work well as long as you go easy with it. I'd say 1 or 2 sprays max.

first of all, you must have dior homme anyways....

i say dior homme.
    it goes well with formal attires. since all i can imagine hearing the words "dior homme" is awesome suits by slimane.

plus its a nice "warm" and romantic scent.

but them again proms get wild and sweaty....eh.
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

As much as I love Escada PH, you just might die if you get hot and sweaty in it. I love Envy too, but the same thing applies.If you feel confident enough, I would without a doubt go with Musc Ravageur. As an added bonus, there is virtually no chance that anyone else will be wearing Musc Ravageur at a high school prom!

Post Thanks / Like

Have you worn Musc Ravageur before? It could be a bit much if you're dancing a lot, Of course if you've worn it and liked it then go for it. But for a long prom where you're going to be dressed up and dancing you might want to go for something like Eau de Sud or Gris Clair that will stay fresh.

Also, not everyone at your prom is going to be at the level of you as far as appreciating scent. You might want to save the Musc Ravageur for a more intimate date; why pour Cristalle for people who are used to Budweiser? Something that's good but more accessible might be better in the long run.

Just my two cents; in any case have a wonderful prom!

Post Thanks / Like

Dior Homme please. And yes, over apply it.
    I'm graduating university this term, graduation party this Thursday. A lot of folks voted Dior Homme for me.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Budweiser analogy, some people may not be able to appreciate the MR, but i'd still go for it But, Dior Homme does have a cool edge that would stand out, and if you want to save your MR, DH seems the way to go

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Dior Homme

DIOR HOMME
    thats the best choice. Not too heavy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dior Homme or Baldessarini IMO.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Whatever you wear get your date to approve it first
    Sometimes one finds an antique vial which remembers,
    Whence gushes forth a living soul returned to life

^^^ that's a good idea. You should definitely run it by your date especially with MR. It's pretty strong and in the heat it could could a little overpowering for others.

You know, I know I originally suggested Musc Ravageur but I am really having qualms... it might be a bit too ballsy for a high school prom. Since you will be dancing you have to move past the "I am wearing fragrance for myself and myself only" mentality and really take the opinions of others there into consideration. Especially since they are high schoolers, they might not be ready for the impact MR could make. Just because you have excellent taste and are open to those kinds of fragrances doesn't mean that it is safe to assume that your fellow high schoolers are going to respond well to it.

At any rate, definitely get the approval of your date, and no matter what you choose, go easy on the sprays.

Cheers,
    Joseph

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There's some good advice here. Run your choice by your date first because you want both of you to have a great evening, right? Bear in mind that once you start dancing, whatever you choose to wear will get seriously amped up in strength and projection so definitely go easy on the sprays
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Musc Ravageur - lightly applied.

I wore it dancing once and received a few compliments from strangers. When applied lightly, with a slightly rising body temperature on the dance floor this fragrance blossoms nicely.

Due spruzzi di Musc Ravageur e sarai irresistibile Spiritussancti
    I tested many times MR dancing salsa and sweating a lot and it's surprising how it reacts nicely, still staying pleasant and sparkling with the bergamot edge, never cloying or boring.

I would go with Burberry Brit.

Grazie Ermano, ma translate the last few words for me please. Haha. I got two sprays of MR. What's sarai mean? Where should the two sprays be? Definitely one to the neck. Not sure where else. Chest?

Post Thanks / Like

From the options given, I'd pick Gucci envy: lightly. Girls seem to like the fresh green notes combined with the tradicional sweet ones... keep in mind people aren't acostummed with complex/rich scents. Don't you wanna be the stinky guy? do you?
    Bvlgari aqva is a nice marine fragrance. But watch out! That seaweed note will gain force with the dance and will probably annoy some people... Unbound is great, but the longevity is weak and It's too common... A guy needs a bit of originality...
    If I were you and could pick any fragrance I'd go for Rochas Man.

I have Rochas Man but won't the chocolate notes get too heavy in the heat? How about Magnetism? I love it but it may be too casual.

Here are samples of scents I have that I could also wear.

Prada Amber
    Silver Shadow
    Versace Man
    ADP Colonia - Possibly thinking this as it is a classic

Also I was thinking of Bvlgari PH, Romace, or Romance Silver...with Bvlgari obviously being the front runner of those three
    Last edited by Spiritussancti; 30th April 2008 at 02:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

MR.....it is my "night out" scent and it is perfect for a prom....it has class with a sexual edge however to me it is missing that deep heavyness that some suggested...in fact i had few females suggest to me that i was wearing light female perfume when i was heavy doused in MR.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe the chocolate note get too heavy in the heat... But don't you think Bvlgari has a sharp tea note that reminds cigarrette smoke? Once, a female friend of mine asked me if I had started smoking... And I was wearing Bvlgari pour homme... My cousin asked the same... And I quickly got rid of my bottle! Furthermore, It can get too woodsy with some people's body chemistry.
    If your prom mate isn't an expert in fragrances I doubt she'll complain if you wear Romance Silver. I personally like its style: a mix of acqua di Giò with grapes. (better than versace man in my humble opinion: I can't stand VM's spicy/peppery notes)

Also have Original Santal by Creed which has become an option and the whole penhalgions mens line and Trumpers. I've no idea what I'm going to wear. Ive got everything but a fragrance picked out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really like Original Santal, but haven't worn it on a night out. Romance Silver I have worn on a night out and it worked really well, though given the circumstances (cruise, bar, drunk girls) I suppose that's not saying a whole hell of a lot.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Well I want something that won't be too heavy or casual, so as I love magnetism, that's more of an informal scent, unless everyone believes its not then I'll wear that. Just psrayed romance silver in me and it is a formal lighter scent that would work well when lightly applied. Sprayed chrome on me and it's alright but too common. Also have Polo black but not sure if that tangerine scent is formal enough. Still thinking of my citrus penhalgions, trumpers, and ADP Colonia though. Not sure if I should wear any of those. Magnetism is damn tempting though.

As much as I love Magnetism, and I can assume it is a hit with high schoolers, I don't think it is a fitting prom scent. If you think you can wear Musc Ravageur and keep it under control I would say go with that. I know I keep going back and forth on it but if you think you can pull it off, and your Axe-laden high school peers won't get turned off by it, then I would definitely say go for it and save yourself all this confusion. If you can work it, it would be the best choice by far.

Pick me Haha, Romance Silver is a good choice as it is an intimate scent, and at prom you get really close with the girls, I don't know why but for me RS is a good "suit/tux" scent, I think it suits that kind of occasion well, at least for me. Although it has somewhat of a longevity problem, in the heat it should last a while and the sillage isn't bad, and those spicy notes make it a very sexy scent. Bulgari PH is also a very good choice, not too casual like Magnetism but not too fancy like Musc Ravageur either, and the longevity and sillage are decent so that is a good choice as well.
    Last edited by RomanceSilver; 1st May 2008 at 04:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't pick a scent because it would fit in. You want to distinguish yourself from the crowd. Now I have not smelled Musc Ravageur, but given the reviews and the posts here, I'd say it's one of your best options, if not the best. I realize it's prom and you might want to smell modern, but trust me, even an untrained nose is at least intrigued by quality scents. Wear something that announces your taste, personality and mood that night. I have a similar party tonight and will be layering Cartier Declaration with Guerlain Habit Rouge. I know they both smell very mature for a 21 year old, but they both project the image I want for the night, and they both loudly announce my fragrance hobby.

Musc Ravageur, my friend.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 1st May 2008 at 09:02 AM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Don't pick a scent because it would fit in. You want to distinguish yourself from the crowd. Now I have not smelled Musc Ravageur, but given the reviews and the posts here, I'd say it's one of your best options, if not the best. I realize it's prom and you might want to smell modern, but trust me, even an untrained nose is at least intrigued by quality scents. Wear something that announces your taste, personality and mood that night. I have a similar party tonight and will be layering Cartier Declaration with Guerlain Habit Rouge. I know they both smell very mature for a 21 year old, but they both project the image I want for the night, and they both loudly announce my fragrance hobby.

Musc Ravageur, my friend.

Mostapha, this paragraph is invaluable to this thread. Kudos to you.

Didn;t have time to check this thread before prom so I went with Brit. I didn't really notice at all the whole night. It was pretty much all dancing so I think it was a little too sophisticated of a scent for prom. Fortunately I have another chance as I'm going to another prom this friday. I was thinking of wearing magnetism because it's straight dancing and magnetism has worked well for me dancing before. RS is too formal for a dance. I want something fun thats unique and intriguing. Musc Ravaguer is that, but too good for prom. I'm saving that for intimate dates where I'm one on one with the girl and not surrounded by the sweat of other people. I'm thinking Magnetism, O de Lancome, or something else clean or fun. I'll save Musc Ravageur for her house after