Code of Conduct

Default Best frags for "natural" men?

It seems to me that there's a big difference in how you perceive a frag when you use things like deodorant as opposed to when you don't. I don't sweat much at all, so I don't use deodorant if I don't think I'll need it. With some frags, there seems to be a blending that goes on with a little natural underarm odor in particular, whereas other frags make things worse. I'm wondering if some frags were designed with the "natural" guy in mind, whereas others assume a shower then deodorant will go on first. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Best frags for "natural" men?

I have no clue what you're talking about, but if it has anything to do with nature:

Homme Nature by Yves Rocher, very cheap and affordable and not a bad scent either.

Well, to give you an idea, Sung Homme seems to mix well with sweat, while Vermeil has a undeniably dirty quality to it. The idea might be to make odors a bit more palatable, rather than covering them up totally, which is what I meant.

This is an interesting question. Somehow I don't think French and Italian parfumeurs of 100, 50, or 25 years ago who created then the classic fragrances we know today, ever assumed that the natural scent of the human body would be eradicated before their creations were used. Even today, Europeans are not known for widespread use of deodorants. Due to improved sanitary facilities washing is more frequent today, but washing does not eliminate the natural odor of the active body.

Wasn't this accepted, and is still being accepted today, as a given by these creators of fragrances?
    Last edited by Lapishchin; 28th April 2008 at 02:10 AM.
    BOIEK::LAPISHCHIN
    Tsar::0f::The::Samovar
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau d'Hermès and Habit Rouge
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver
    Gucci Envy and his bad brother Le Mâle
    English Leather (Dana) and Agua Lavanda (Puig)

Blog Entries

For what it's worth, I think Aramis Havana mixes with sweat and skin wonderfully, it just smells like a natural sort of spice emanating from the skin. Works better if there's hair to lock in the juice, so if you're spraying your wrists for example spray the back and not the front.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

The other clue to this question is the common use of the animal notes in perfumes: musk, civet, castoreum and ambergris. These notes form a sort of 'bridge' between the vegetal scents of the plant world, the flowers, herbs, roots, spices, and the animal nature of the creatures, we humans, who will wear these plant fragrances, blending them to be comfortable and lasting on our bodies. So perfumes containing these notes tend to blend in the way you are looking for.
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver

YSL Pour Homme (the original, not the new "L'Homme"). It comes in two versions - the red one or the super concentrate black cap.

Fresh lemon, with dirty herbs. Mixes well with sweat to have a fresh but sweaty natural vibe. Wearing it at the moment actually...

Ged

PS It's dirt dirt cheap on ebay!
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I would think a classic fougere, like Azzaro, would work nicely with a little BO.

Kouros would smell great on a hippy (meant as a joke!)
    Last edited by Anthony87; 28th April 2008 at 06:24 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

[QUOTE=Lapishchin;1212690] Even today, Europeans are not known for widespread use of deodorants. QUOTE]

Excuse me?

I'm European and can assure you that the English most certainly do you use deordorants on a widespread basis - it is considered social taboo to have B.O. in the UK.

[QUOTE=HDS1963;1212872]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lapishchin View Post
    Even today, Europeans are not known for widespread use of deodorants. QUOTE]

Excuse me?

I'm European and can assure you that the English most certainly do you use deordorants on a widespread basis - it is considered social taboo to have B.O. in the UK.
    Yeah, imagine if as a German-American I could always only deodorize one arm.

btw.: Hitler is really dead, the garbage is collected weekly and we have cold AND hot running water (not to speak of a working healthcare and social welfare system).

Conceptions of hygiene, as well as perfume preferences differ more along class line within a given nation than across borders among comparable social tiers.

As to the question: classic French fresh citrus perfumes with anything from a tad to a wad of skank should work really well - Eau Sauvage, Malle's Bigarrade Concentrée, Goutal's Eau du Sud, Eau d'Hermes, Guerlain Jicky. The blend well into natural body smell.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 28th April 2008 at 11:25 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Re: Best frags for "natural" men?

I have this friend, or few of them actually, who never really stink, but are kind of natural type described here. I always imagine leather and patchouli fragrances would work nicely with these guys. Spices, like cumin and cardamom might also be appropriate. Of the individual fragrances, Eau d'Hermes would be my top pick.

Kouros would be the ticket, and maybe Eau D'Hermes. I just sprayed my arms with Kouros for my own enjoyment, as I was wearing YSL-Opium earlier. Damn, I'm growing very close to Kouros. It's so raw, and natural smelling to me. Kouros is new to me, btw... I picked it up mainly from the strong controversies on the board. It has taken me by hold it seems, the first wearing was a bit shocking. I picked up Eau d'Hermes from the reviews here too. I'm not in the least bit disappointed with either!

I would think something with a cumin note would end up being "your natural scent" only better. Eau d'Hermes, Kouros, Musk Kublai Khan all work *with* your natural scents and smells - and improve them. If you are too scrubby clean when you wear them, they do not work nearly as well. I am wearing L'Artisan Dzing this morning, and I think it could go with or without scrubbiness.

There are also some scents that go well or are improved by with cigarette or pipe smoke. Eau Sauvage is one, I think, as is Chanel pour Monseuir, and actually many really aldehyde heavy scents really go with the smoke! I have not done an extensive study, but I have noticed there were several scents that noticeably improved when mixed with cigarette smoke.

============================

Now ... as far as the standards of hygiene between the US and UK/Europe. Compared to Europe, most people in the US have "Obsessive Compulsive" disorder trying to eradicate any trace of our animal nature - a real antiseptic attitude to personal scent and odor (I fell this is highly unhealthy).

This has been my experience living in a middle class area in the UK in the early to mid 1990's, and visiting France, Holland, Spain, Germany, Italy over the years. And, while there is no obvious projecting body odor in about 80% of the population, there are a few that have a "funk" with hair that has not been shampooed in a couple of days. This small segment of the population would be socially unacceptable in the US - where the attitude would be people whispering to each other, and sometimes social shunning.

The US attitude was evolved in marketing campaigns after World War I to sell soap and mouthwash - LINK to BO. They deliberately targeted and fostered insecurity about personal odors to gain sales - and it was wildly successful and changed the US culture.

I say this in all seriousness, but also really thinking that the European approach is much healthier than in the US. We really have a lot of hang ups here! (So we all trundle off and scrub ourselves silly every day, and have a wardrobe we can wear a different outfit of low quality clothing so we do not have to repeat ourselves during the week)

This is not meant to be an insult, just an observation, because I do think in the US we have a little bit of a complex towards our own odors.

I have noticed that in Japan, there is even a greater attitude to eradicating smell - there are some underarm sprays that practically lacquer your underarm and anywhere else you might spray it - and keeps you from smelling or sweating for DAYS. But I have heard from Japanese friends, that they feel that the folks from the US have a discernible body odor - which makes the whole thing a relative one!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 28th April 2008 at 02:12 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Sur la Plage

As already mentioned, Kouros and Eau d'Hermes would be good options.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 28th April 2008 at 02:56 PM.

I do not use deo and I do not think someones who uses has better hygine habits than me.
    I use all kinds of EDTs. Isn't Basenotes all about mixing the scent with you natural skin chemestry and all that dance?

I would recommend Declaration or Terre d'Hermes. They both have a very simple, bright, earthy, "human" quality. The thing about deodorant really is true. I use unscented deodorant, actually, it's called Liquid Rock by Kiss My Face (not tested on animals, a side benefit) and it's great because it really works and NEVER mixes with fragrances.

Declaration is a good suggestion.

[QUOTE=HDS1963;1212872]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lapishchin View Post
    Even today, Europeans are not known for widespread use of deodorants. QUOTE]

Excuse me?

Certainly no offense was intended. I resided for many years in New Orleans, a city that attracts crowds of visitors, tourists and convention-goers year-round from around the world, and that city has many fine hotels to accommodate them. Friends who worked in a famous and expensive one of these establishments often remarked on their guests, one item of interest noted being the lack of use of deodorant by these European guests from various countries, who however appeared respectable and of sufficient means to stay in the hotel.

This was frequent enough for a generalization to be made, and of course would not be true of everyone in a country.

I make reference to this not to impute uncleanliness or poor hygeine to anyone, rather to the contrary. My personal attitude is that people can be perfectly clean and well washed and THAT can suffice, and they ought not to be required to take extraordinary means to eradicate the natural scent that, as it were, God has provided them with.

Discussion of this issue is in fact germane to this thread, the question of which is a search for fragrances which will blend with natural body odor.

This is a hot-button issue in the US, and a study of the psychological and sociological issues involved would be revealing...I am sure, though, that many on this forum have already perceived the humorous and disturbing contradiction inherent in scrubbing away the 'filthy nasty' natural secretions of their own bodies and replacing them with fine perfumes that contain the sexual secretions of animals (or their synthecized equivalents), of which the most extreme example is the highly lauded, highly coveted Muscs Koublai Khan, at a cost of hundreds of dollars.
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver

[QUOTE=the_good_life;1212878]
    Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post

Yeah, imagine if as a German-American I could always only deodorize one arm.

btw.: Hitler is really dead, the garbage is collected weekly and we have cold AND hot running water (not to speak of a working healthcare and social welfare system).

Conceptions of hygiene, as well as perfume preferences differ more along class line within a given nation than across borders among comparable social tiers.

As to the question: classic French fresh citrus perfumes with anything from a tad to a wad of skank should work really well - Eau Sauvage, Malle's Bigarrade Concentrée, Goutal's Eau du Sud, Eau d'Hermes, Guerlain Jicky. The blend well into natural body smell.
    LOL!

The penultimate paragraph reminds me I haven't seen " Grand Illusion " for some time. Of course the differences are more along class structure than nationalities.

Cheers,

Mario the Savage Latin
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I I have noticed that in Japan, there is even a greater attitude to eradicating smell - there are some underarm sprays that practically lacquer your underarm and anywhere else you might spray it - and keeps you from smelling or sweating for DAYS.
    What are their names? I'm not a physician but that sounds rather unhealthy
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 29th April 2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Well, let me share my personal experience on this. I stopped with use of antipersperants as it was a cause of blockage and consequent inflammation of sweat glands and was not pretty at all. So I use my own self-made deodorant on washed armpits. The deodorant is just a solution of essential oils in water and alcohol mixture. I use essential oils, which "integrate" with a natural odour of sweat.
    To my nose sweat has two components:
    1. Pungent sweat odour that mostly occurs in the armpits area. It goes well with Vetiver or Sage. Those are oils I use with my deodorant together with Patchouli, Lavender and Lemon. Vetiver and Sage have components, which smell very close to natural sweat odour. The whole mixture “masks” the sweat odour by integrating with it.
    2. Musk odour of testosterone component that you can smell all over your body (and strongest in your genital area). This one blends perfectly with animal notes like Amber, Musk etc, but also Cumin. This is a tricky one. It can either turn into a sexy exciting smell or give an idea of an unwashed body and become a turn off. Depends on personal skin chemistry and personal experience threshold. For example: one day I applied Fumerie Turque on my skin after I took a shower in the morning. In the afternoon it was difficult to decide if I was wearing a perfume or was just sleeping in a cellar for a couple of days without washing. Forgotten to ask what other people’s idea was.
    Last edited by AromaX; 29th April 2008 at 11:33 AM.

Tom Ford for Men
    Gucci pour Homme
    Bigarade Concentree

all have a musky undercurrent that blends with light b.o.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Oh, là là!...... A Reminiscence

Today on my morning walk a memory came back that made me smile. In 1966 I sat my winter quarter French class at Ohio State University. The instructor was a lovely poised young Frenchwoman. She had strict old-fashioned ideas of pedagogy however, and felt well within her right, since the old building was so over heated by steam heat, to put the window up all the way to keep her students alert. Deep snow stood on the window ledge and frigid air rushed in.

The instructor wore a wonderful furry white sweater--- this was a chic French conception of a young woman's sweater---and in those days when one could smoke in class, she perfumed the air with her Gauloises. One fellow asked her if she didn't think it was healthy. She replied, diffidently, à propos de sa cigarette, 'Mais ça ne fait rien! C'est si blanche, si pure.' We fellows marvelled at her and were quite taken. What no one would ever ever have thought to mention to this young lady, though whisper among ourselves we did, was that it was obvious she didn't use any deodorant! Nor did she use any scent either.

A year later I visited France and attended a university program at Dijon. I discovered that the lady's attitudes, both about tobacco and about 'personal fragrance' were common ones in France.

Ah, to see Paris was a wonderful experience. But for many Basenoters, this was a lifetime, or two, ago.
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver

Rose 31's cumin gives it a slight B.O.-like vibe - I guess this is what a hippy wears when he wants to smell nice

Kiehl's Musk just drowns your B.O. out.

Oh, I almost forgot to add, Eau des Iles smells like an unwashed spice merchant.
    Last edited by heythatslife; 30th April 2008 at 01:29 AM.