Code of Conduct

Thread: Deodorants

Default Deodorants

Hi all,

I'm a first-time poster and new to the fragrance world, and look forward to learning from you all.

I'm confused about the role of deodorants and how and if they should be worn alongside of colognes. It seems to me that they serve different roles (e.g. deodorants are more for masking body odour), yet I'd imagine that they can easily clash. Should a person be using just one or the other at a time?

On a related note, I sometimes see various colognes being sold with accompanying shower gels, deodorants, and other products of the same name. Do these other products smell the same as the cologne, or are they used to accentuate the main product?

Thanks!

Default Re: Deodorants

Hi, Welcome to Basenotes!

Deodorants are for masking body odor, while Antiperspirants are supposed to help you not sweat as much. Cologne can be worn along side either, and as long as the deodorant isn't too powerful, they shouldn't clash. However, just in case, many of us choose to use an Unscented brand of deodorant/antiperspirant such as Mitchum.

Usually, the supporting bath products are used both to accentuate and support the main product and are often very similar. There are some exceptions, such as Yves Saint Laurent's M7 range. Each product focuses on a different note and smells slightly different. But, for the most part, Basenoters seem to just use the cologne. (Less money spent on supporting products, more money for MORE cologne!)

ChrisW pretty much said it all...

I use Mitchum unscented myself, that way I can actually smell the cologne I'm wearing rather than the scent of the antiperspirant. Cologne is for the smell, antiperspirant is for the sweat.

Blog Entries

you guys shouldn't be using antiperspirants....they're quite bad for your body.

always buy natural deodorants....to allow the body to sweat, BUT not smell.....i use Anthony For Men, which is fantastic stuff.

after a few weeks of using a nice natural deodorant..you will naturally sweat less.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    you guys shouldn't be using antiperspirants....they're quite bad for your body.

always buy natural deodorants....to allow the body to sweat, BUT not smell.....i use Anthony For Men, which is fantastic stuff.

after a few weeks of using a nice natural deodorant..you will naturally sweat less.
    I dunno about this... I tried Tom's Natural Deodorant or whatever and maybe I can pull it off during winter, but summer - NO WAY. I'd rather not change my shirt.

Roll ons dont tend to be as 'loud' as your usual spray-on deoderant / antiperspirant. I've found Mitchums, Nivea and Adidas alcohol-free ones work quite well, the only problem is waiting for them to dry before you put your shirt on. For days when your in a hurry, Speed Stick works well. Haven't tried natural deoderants properly yet so I can't comment on them.
    Last edited by Anthony87; 28th April 2008 at 05:12 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Please wear deodorant each and every day.

That is all...............
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Blog Entries

roll on vs stick vs gel....there're 2 different unscented mitchums and 3 for many other brands. i've tried the stick and roll on- personally i think the stick works the best for me...but why? what's the whole reasoning behing the different mediums? any know or care to give an opinion?
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 28th April 2008 at 05:57 AM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by reneirwold878 View Post
    roll on vs stick vs gel....there're 2 different unscented mitchums and 3 for many other brands. i've tried the stick and roll on- personally i think the stick works the best for me...but why? what's the whole reasoning behing the different mediums? any know or care to give an opinion?
    I like the gel as opposed to the dry stick because with the gel I FEEL as if I am putting my "protection" on. With the stick, it doesn't feel as if anything comes off at all. I'm sure they work the same, but it's more of a peace of mind thing for me, if that makes sense.

As far as the roll-on goes, if you have underarm hair... um... it could get stuck in the "ball."