Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, May 3, 2008 ★★★ FRUITY

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~ Orientals Feb. 2007~ Animalics March 2007~Chypres April 2007~ Florals May 2007~ Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~ Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~ Spicy Dec. 2007~ Gourmand Jan. 2008~Orientals Feb. 2008~ Animalics March 2008~Chypres April 2008~Floral

[For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.]
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, May 3, 2008 ★★★ FRUITY

Oh boy! Fruity fruits!! :bounce: Think I'll break out my Missoni!! (Am afraid to go and check 'drobe right now for fear of NEVER making it back into the queue!!)

Later: Nah! The Big M is all wrong - next thought is Baz-ar (though I gotta say that an_oud_girl's idea is intriguing.....)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 29th April 2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Reflection.....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

Yow, where did the month go?! I'm on vacation here on the Florida gulf coast and not even sure if I can get my hands on some fruity florals. Maybe I'll just pour a rum runner over myself and stick a gardenia behind my ear.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

Think I'll break out the Bahiana
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I don't think I have anything fruity!! I might have to go shopping!!! (OH NO!!! my husband says)
    Hmmmm, do orchids count? What about figs?
    I will have a look and see what I have.
    Come play with us (click on the Basenotes link) http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195893

Figs are OK, aren't they? They're a fruit.
    I was considering Pomegranate Noir - is that a good choice? I could go Figgy though.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Figs and Pomegranates will both do, I'd say.

With me fruity scents are hit or miss. I think I like all berries but I often times find them exceedingly sweet/sticky/cloying or too musky, this last one seems to be a preference among the perfumeurs in the recent years. What I really enjoy is plums!

I only have a sample of Miss Dior Cherie. It'll have to do (I'm not too keen on fruity florals)

Oh man.... I don't have too many fruity scents. Most of them go all weird on me

I think I may pull out the Stephanid de Saint-Aignan Blanc d'Hiver. One of the few fruity scents I can stand on me.

Other options in my wardrobe
    - Keiko Mecheri Ume
    - Most of the Body Shop stuff
    - Fresh Scents by Terri - Dream

You can tell I'm really excited.

Wait a minute ... Mitsouko has peaches in it, does that count?
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Pour un Femme by Caron.

Fruit notes are not predominant in my frag wardrobe.

It's interesting isn't it, how the SnS days make us think about what our wardrobes contain and often send us off to rootle around in our boxes of samples to find something suitable. 'Fruity' is an area I don't often visit and this makes me wonder if maybe I should be more open-minded. Which is probably the whole idea!

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Fruity, hmm. On Saturday, i'll be buying something with a prominent Guava note. Anvers, i'll report back
    --------------------------------------
    I love Ananas Fizz too
    Last edited by Vivek; 30th April 2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I am thinking about wearing a fruity leather - something like Tom Ford Extreme, Cabochard or Jean Pascal.

Any other suggestions?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post
    Oh man.... I don't have too many fruity scents. Most of them go all weird on me ....Wait a minute ... Mitsouko has peaches in it, does that count?
    Anytime you can make Mitsouko work - go for it!! (And thanks for the suggestion.........:wanders away from previous choices...:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Ooo! Maybe I'll go pick up a bottle of B&BW Coconut Lime Verbena! I've been using the shower gel and it makes me very happy.
    It also makes me crave Virgin Island Water - I want both.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Ooo! Maybe I'll go pick up a bottle of B&BW Coconut Lime Verbena! I've been using the shower gel and it makes me very happy.
    It also makes me crave Virgin Island Water - I want both.
    This is our primary function here, ya know--we're just a bunch of enablers generating excuses to get more smellies.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Indeed, Quarry! Now go forth and shop! I'll be heading to L.A. this weekend to pick up my VIW.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I am thinking about wearing a fruity leather - something like Tom Ford Extreme, Cabochard or Jean Pascal.

Any other suggestions?
    What about Kadota by Michael Storer?

Me? I'm wearing my sample of Brandy - apples, apples and more apples, so I've heard.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st May 2008 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    What about Kadota by Michael Storer?
    Thanks Mike!

I keep thinking that a leather-prominent fruit scent does not fit with the spirit of the day, so I will break out my big fig Kadota (or maybe Pomegranate Noir, hmmmm )
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Oooh! Good idea! I'm going to break out the sample of Kadota the lovely Mr Storer sent me.

Blog Entries

Well missed posting but had a glorious day in Bahiana

Notes: Brazilian orange, caipirinha limon, mandarin, tagette, green leaf, rosewood, gaiac wood, elemi, amber, musk, coconut.

There is a wonderful review of Bahiana here by Vibert:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26127110.html

My, I'm just astounded that I'm the first one reviewing this fragrance! Is it that much of a sleeper? Oh well, that suits me just fine - I'll keep it for myself.

I'm no fan of fruit or citrus scents, but I have so much respect for Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier that I was willing to give Bahiana a go. After all, I do need something new for the summer.

With listed notes like mandarin and coconut, I feared this might be a pina colada for the skin. Surprise!

The opening is tropical fruit alright, but the accord comes off more like ripe mango, guava, and perhaps even a bit of passionfruit, rather than conventional citrus.

Soon after application I found a buttery-smooth woody note welling up under the fruit. Could it be sandalwood? Checking the notes, I decide it must be the rosewood and gaiac at Bahiana's heart. And a beautifully handled wood it is! It blends with the bone-dry coconut note to form a warm cushion for the exotic fruits.

The fruit notes and the amber meanwhile manage to steer the wood and coconut around the suntan lotion sand trap I got mired in with this house's Santal Noble.

This is indeed tropical, and strictly for summertime. That said, Bahiana is the richest, most complex, and most lasting fruit fragrance I've encountered. It persisits for at least 6 or 8 hours on me, with a lingering amber ,musk, and wood drydown just lightly touched with fruit esters. How MPG gets them to last that long is beyond me, but I'm certainly not going to complain. There may well be a bottle in my future...

and though he thinks feels this is a strictly summer - I can wear this all year round. Other than that I can't improve on his review. The bottle makes me smile each time I see it - with a little feather decoration - it does remind me of Brazil and Carnival feather costumes.

Bahiana is the best blind buy I ever made - bar none.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Couldn't post on Saturday as the site was down!!
    I wore Nirmala and loved all those levantine, juicy fruits.
    Mango, passionfruit, grapefuit and mandarin combine to
    produce a lush, fruity topnote.The floral middle (including
    fleur de iles (whatever they are!!) and sambac jasmine is
    very classy and the drydown of woods, tonka bean and a special vanilla
    only found in orchids is really sensuous. This is full-on on glamour
    with .no apologies.
    Created by Molinard in 1955.

Fruities are not my thing but I scoured my wardrobe and came up with 2. Saturday I wore the lovely Un Jardin Sur Le Nil. I look forward to wearing in the warm weather.

I'm saving the other fruity for next month, when we do citrus.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

The site was down on Saturday,so couldn't post my thoughts and which scent I chose then.I finally went for Nahema edp.I'm not particularly fond of fruity scents,but Nahema was perfect.On me it's a fruity rose with slightly green topnotes. Not sure which fruit notes it's suppose to have ,but on me I smelled passionfruit and peaches.I felt like a million dollars all day wearing it!

I realy regret being so long awy from the site and I didn't see this befor, I do love fruity fragrances. Search for some more.
    A serious accident my husband had 3 days befor Christmas and death of my Mom, just one after another and getting the house empty, was beat each night.

Secret Wish of Anna Sui is lovely. Smell the Melon, Apricot and Pineapple very well in this scent.
    But doen't last that long need to re-spray after 3-4 hours.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ydee View Post
    I realy regret being so long awy from the site and I didn't see this befor, I do love fruity fragrances. Search for some more.
    A serious accident my husband had 3 days befor Christmas and death of my Mom, just one after another and getting the house empty, was beat each night.

Secret Wish of Anna Sui is lovely. Smell the Melon, Apricot and Pineapple very well in this scent.
    But doen't last that long need to re-spray after 3-4 hours.
    We wrap our fragrant arms around you, ydee. So sorry for your burdens, honey. Better days are coming, and we hope you spend a little time each day with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    We wrap our fragrant arms around you, ydee. So sorry for your burdens, honey. Better days are coming, and we hope you spend a little time each day with us.
    Thanks, could use that.

Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday (Citrus) is coming up in three days - June 7, 2008.

Nobody is talking about it.

Has it been cancelled? Did I miss the notice?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday (Citrus) is coming up in three days - June 7, 2008.

Nobody is talking about it.

Has it been cancelled? Did I miss the notice?
    No. Just me lolligagging. I'll get right on it, 2Rs.