Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Declaration... new opinions

Hey everyone! I'm sure I'm crossing unwritten decency laws here on basenotes by doing the following but I'm so excited by this that I really want to share my revelation. I hope you'll excuse me this time and just let me.

I AM NOW IN LOVE WITH DECLARATION. I think it is, just... SOOOOOOOOOOOOO... great... SOOO good... ugh... I haven't had this kind of reaction in a really long time. That newness of experience, that sense of olfactory adventure... AND I USED TO HAAATE it... so I'm going to do the following and hope no one is too upset... I'm going to directly paste my new, edited review (complete with the old hateful one) so I can yell from the basenotes rooftops that I was a hasty fool. Of course any and all thoughts and opinions are welcome...

here goes:
    Thank goodness for the edit feature because about a year ago, this happened (cue chimes):
    I thought I liked pretty much everything Jeah-Claude Ellena composed, but this... I don't like to be overly simplistic but perhaps honesty is the best policy... My olfactory memories are lighting up "cumin and Secret Deodorant." I swear it. There is an armpit note to be sure, but how perfect that Ellena thought to counter it with the smell of a woman's deodorant! Cutting, biting, yet wrapped in a powdery pillow...
    Despite what some say, this is no where in the same gallaxy as Terre d'Hermes. Please please please don't believe these rumors. I'm wearing them both right now, and the GENIUS Td'H has my eyes rolling into my head (in the good way), nose glued to wrist, the Cartier, running to the sink to wash it off. I tried these both because I wanted to purchase the Hermes but having read here that there are similarities, I wanted to compare before buying. Nada que ver! Not at all! This seems like a fragrance that had its day once, but now seems irrelevant.

STUPIIIID! Well, not really, but let's just say my nose has evolved in a year, so that now:

I just paid full price for a 100 ML bottle of it because it's been haunting my dreams ever since I smelled it on a friend who came to stay with me for a few days. He sprayed it on and immediately I thought (and let's remember that this is just what my brain came up with intuitively and on the spot without a second of analysis) "That smells like a braver, thicker, more masculine Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert and immediately demanded he let me guess what it was. After several failed attempts I was TOTALLY taken aback when he said Declaration. "But, that doesn't smell like armpit and Secret!" So I gave it another really good go in VERY hot weather and let's just say I've been unable to get it out of my mind. I wrote that first review at the very outset of this fragrance obsessing journey and really, I think I wasn't ready conceptually for Declaration. I wasn't able to translate its eccentricity into the beauty that I now see. The sharpness of the bitter orange that once set my nose to crinkle now excites my senses and begs eager sniffing. The armpit has literally disappeared and now all I smell are very tasteful, yet very present dry woods combined with an inescapable mental link to the Bulgari Green Tea (which I do love). After having now experienced the Bigarades of Malle and Rose 31, Eau d'Hermes, Kingdom, and really wrapped my nose around some fascinating compositions in the niche world, I am now ready to say that Declaration is brilliant. It really is, take my word for it... I would NNEEVVVEEERRR post a hasty review (don't see above)

p.s. It was a tough decision but after much deliberation I chose Declaration over L'Essence. Both are spectacular, but the original challenged me a bit more and I liked that.

Default Re: Cartier Declaration... new opinions

Interesting
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

Basenotes Institution

Always nice to hear a 'Complete 180' story here on Basenotes, especially when it involves a 180 on a inexpensive, easy to buy scent like Declaration. It reminds me I'm not the only one who experiences this. My most recent? Dior Homme.

Here's the thing with Declaration: I wore it SO MUCH growing up (pre-Basenotes) that I really have no desire to revisit it. I know that there are a few new flanker versions (Essence, Bois Blue, Eau Genereuse) and perhaps one of these days I'll get around to trying one. But for now, atleast in my mind, I've done Declaration and now Terre de Hermes (and a few of the CdG Red Series') fill that sparkly woody category in my wardrobe.

I use to love this as well. I never fell out of love, I just never bought another bottle. I think it is time I revisit this gem! I agree with Mike, it is always nice to read a 180.

Thnx for the review Nthny! as always a great read! and yes ,cartier - declaration is one that i will always adore but like you, i dismissed it earlier sayin it smelled like the inside of a ladies purse...i said the same thing for Dior Homme (lip stick note)....but both have won over for its Olfactory experience....the part that i enjoy the most is the smoky nature...wow...6 sprays and one is covered in this cloud of smoky and powdery woods tempered with sour fruits...

btw Nthny, pls give Lalique Le Parfum a try if you havent already...now since u enjoy declaration and Dior homme..

You know, I agree with BOTH reviews 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Despite what some say, this is no where in the same gallaxy as Terre d'Hermes. Please please please don't believe these rumors. I'm wearing them both right now, and the GENIUS Td'H has my eyes rolling into my head (in the good way), nose glued to wrist, the Cartier, running to the sink to wash it off.
    I'm curious whether you detect the (slight?) similarity between Terre d'Hermes and Cartier Declaration now.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 29th April 2008 at 09:16 AM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Thumbs up Re: Cartier Declaration... new opinions

Good for you.

I love Declaration, even though my initial reaction to my sample vial was, wheech, smells like merguez on my arm.

Needless to say two minutes later I was compulsively sniffing my wrist for the rest of the evening.
    Then I used the rest of the vial, for a family diner, and couldn't wait to get a full bottle.

Then I was tricked by the salesgirl to buy the Essence version, she tought it was just a more concentrated version, but it is a slight variation, the woods are scattered differently in the note pyramid and I get something sweet not unlike vanilla under all the spices.

Still excellent but I like original Declaration a bit more.

In fact Essence for daywear and a smooth transition to Original for the evening is how I like it.

I can see why it doesn't work with everyone's skin (or nose), but it works fantastically on me.

I sometimes read about how ST Dupont pour homme and Jacques Fath Yang are supposed to be a better interpretation of the Declaration theme, I'd like to try these especially since my two flacons are emptying too fast (despite the fact that I own 25+ fragrances).

Hey everyone, thanks for responding Mike seriously, I'm gonna have to get on the red series more analytically some day and I've been meaning to but there's just so much to sniff. I have a lot of catching up to do Mostapha, I guess I always saw a similarity but to me Terre is so much drier and sandier, herbal, than the somewhat sweeter, softer (in the drydown) Declaration. I think if our noses say "wow, that has that little Ellena touch" we should trust them. I can't deny that there's that little message every time I sniff these two and Eau Parfumee au The Vert, which I think is REALLY cool because they aren't really similar but they have these little links. Jenson, I would never have even thought about trying Le Parfum but I guess I will now. By the way, Jim, if you read this and some day try the Dupont and Yang, private me with your thoughts!

I've been walking around all day in the sun and heat and again, the 5th hour of Declaration is sparkling on my skin. I'm in love, really.

Sweet

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Get the real thing, i.e., Eau d'Hermes, instead.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I have never tried Declaration but yep, Eau d'Hermes is really nice. I don't understand why its considered so dirty by so many but good stuff.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

My last online blindbuy from yesterday is declaration. 50 euro for 100 ml.

I'm curious about it.
    Last edited by sanatik; 30th April 2008 at 10:10 AM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

I LOVE declaration as well.

My first buy since i started my wardrobe (meaning after the long period from 14 to 25 where i had only 1 or 2 fragrances at the same time )

Basically it s even probably the scent that made me start a wardrobel

Terre d'Hermes is very nice too imo, i love Ellena. I ll try Eau d'Hermes soon for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I already have it (Eau d'Hermes, you should really try it Roc_Xel, it's a marvel) and I think the overall impression of Eau d'Hermes is totally different. The sillage of Declaration is much cleaner, and believe it or not, innocent smelling, to me of course. Eau d'Hermes, which I enjoyed a great deal but did not do back flips about even though I have a full bottle, seems more refined. It's great, don't get me wrong, but with Declaration something just clicked and I thought, "WOW!" I personally wouldn't say one is the real version of the other. I think they are really two different entities. But that's just my opinion. I get the cinnamon and curry spice thing more from Ed'H which brings it to that sweet leather goodness later...

Incidentally, OzMoz lists the Cartier as a woody-floral musk. I think this is really misleading.
    Last edited by nthny; 30th April 2008 at 02:49 PM.

I need to get on it again. My first sniff was indubitably too hasty.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    I already have it (Eau d'Hermes, you should really try it Roc_Xel, it's a marvel) and I think the overall impression of Eau d'Hermes is totally different. The sillage of Declaration is much cleaner, and believe it or not, innocent smelling, to me of course. Eau d'Hermes, which I enjoyed a great deal but did not do back flips about even though I have a full bottle, seems more refined. It's great, don't get me wrong, but with Declaration something just clicked and I thought, "WOW!" I personally wouldn't say one is the real version of the other. I think they are really two different entities. But that's just my opinion. I get the cinnamon and curry spice thing more from Ed'H which brings it to that sweet leather goodness later...

Incidentally, OzMoz lists the Cartier as a woody-floral musk. I think this is really misleading.
    They are different entities nthny - just because someone like Eau de Hermes, does not mean they're going to like Declaration. And vice versa.

Declaration has this bright top note that's really sharp and almost acrid and bitter, yet still fizzy and spicy. EdH is subtle, and the spice is blended so much more skillfully - plus the leather's there (no leather in Declaration).

I prefer EdH more, but maybe that's because (as I mentioned above) I'm kind of 'over' Declaration whereas EdH I just discovered for the first time a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    I need to get on it again. My first sniff was indubitably too hasty.
    Totally... I remember now, why I was so put off by it... I really dug my nose in way too fast. The aura of this is what is so beautiful. I really had to walk around in it. And the diffusion of the fragrance from the sprayer is superb... like that Creed "whoosh"...

Mike I have only worn Eau d'Hermes out a couple times. It is one citrus that doesn't really wear well on me in hot weather, which is what I'm in most of the time. In colder weather it's great... the spices stick around more and it remains sweeter, rather than the sour I sometimes experience when I'm sweating in the sun. I have a feeling I'm going to get sick of Declaration someday too... Some day way in the future... way way in the future, the way I'm wearing it right now.. .hahaha... Because poor Terre d'Hermes, my former (and still) no-matter-what-go-to-fragrance is looking at me like, "hey, what's up? I thought we were friends! Who the hell is this new guy?" hahahaha... just kidding...
    Last edited by nthny; 30th April 2008 at 04:14 PM.

now i have declaration too and i am happy that i did buy it. I cannot say much. It´s the first day with it. 2 x on my neck is enough to smell it since 4 hours. Lighter & fresher than terre.

i will rotate will rive gauche ph this week my another new blind buy.

I just got a bottle of Un Jardin Sur Le Nil today, and left it in the bathroom. I asked my brother what he thought of it and he said it reminded him of Declaration. Interesting, I thought. I'm beginning to also see a resemblance between Un Jardin Sur Le Nil and Terre D'Hermes.

yes 1 week later i am really happy that i did buy declaration. Like it a lot. there are similarities with terre d´hermes yes but that´s not a reason to buy one of them. My wife find declaratin very citrusy. I find it like i said here before fresh and elegant. In the understated style of bulgari pour homme but not so boring. Can smell it 6 hours later without problems. Terre is not so light & also not so fresh.

Did read in the new cartier frag topic in this link:

"This must be a typo as Declaration in 1998 was explicitly launched to appeal to young men, even as young as 18-20-year-olds."

I am younger than their 45 years (now you are old) limit.
    Last edited by sanatik; 13th May 2008 at 12:31 PM.

I agree with you that Déclaration is a good scent with more than a decent longevity.
    I agree with you that it is fresh and elegant.
    I agree with you that Déclaration and Terre d’Hermès share some similarities.
    I agree with you that they are different enough that one should have them both in the wardrobe.

But I don’t agree with you that Bvlgari pour Homme is a boring scent. I just adore that frag. OK, OK, I know, different people – different opinions, but when someone says something bad about that scent that’s definitely don’t have a positive influence to my mood.

I don’t see Déclaration as a scent for very young men; On the contrary.

Enjoy in this scent, Sanatik, and prepare yourself for permanent compliments.
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 13th May 2008 at 07:27 PM.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

I think I'm starting to get to know this one now. Got a test strip yesterday and the scent is still on it this morning. (which probably says something about its longevity) Rather nice I'll have to admit!

yes you are right peevish_volk. bulgari ph is a fine scent which i like too (from my testings- don´t own it) and "boring" is not the right word to describe it because declaration could be boring for me next year too. Both are also not very similar (only from the elegant style).

Could smell (2x) declaration after 9 hours. That´s enough.
    Last edited by sanatik; 16th May 2008 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik
    yes you are right peevish_volk. bulgari ph is a fine scent which i like too (from my testings- don´t own it) and "boring" is not the right word to describe it because declaration could be boring for me next year too. Both are also not very similar (only from the elegant style).
    Yes, I understand. When I smelt Obsession for Men for the first time, 20 years ago, oh man, how I was ablaze! Now… well, I still love it, but it does not make me euphoric no more… and there are so many similar examples…
    One of my ex girlfriends had an interesting theory about Bvlgari pour Homme. She said once that Bvlgari pour Homme is so decent and cultured that she cannot imagine it on some scamp. After she had known me better she realized that she can not imagine it on me, as well…
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

thx. Did recognize in the directory that bulgari ph is from Jacques Cavallier. Another minimalist. Did buy Rive gauche from him 2 weeks ago with declaration. i have to try bulgari (and other creations of Cavallier) again.

Back to declaration. 2 x sprayed on my neck is really enough to smell it around 9 hours. Will try it at next with 1 x & than with 10 x :--).
    Last edited by sanatik; 17th May 2008 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peevish_yolk View Post
    Yes, I understand. When I smelt Obsession for Men for the first time, 20 years ago, oh man, how I was ablaze! Now… well, I still love it, but it does not make me euphoric no more… and there are so many similar examples…
    One of my ex girlfriends had an interesting theory about Bvlgari pour Homme. She said once that Bvlgari pour Homme is so decent and cultured that she cannot imagine it on some scamp. After she had known me better she realized that she can not imagine it on me, as well…
    Hehe.Nice self-irony, Peevish, Bratko.

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik
    Did recognize in the directory that bulgari ph is from Jacques Cavallier. Another minimalist. Did buy Rive gauche from him 2 weeks ago with declaration. i have to try bulgari (and other creations of Cavallier) again.
    I am a huge adorer of Jacques Cavallier’s work. I have 11 scents created by him in my wardrobe: Bvlgari pour Homme, Bvlgari Aqva, Essenza di Zegna (CJ with Alberto Morillas), L’eau d’Issey pour Homme, L’eau Bleue d’Issey pour Homme, Ultraviolet for Men, M7 (CJ with Alberto Morillas), Rive Gauche pour Homme, Sander for Man, Opium edp pour Homme and Rochas Aquaman. He also designed some of my favorites female scents (Alexander McQueen Kingdom, J.P.G. Classique, YSL Nu…)
    So, very often when I discourse about his scents I am not quite objective, I admit.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.valchev
    Hehe.Nice self-irony, Peevish, Bratko.
    Blagodarja, Bratko. It seems that we, people from Balkan, have a specific sense of humour which is not quite acceptable for the other people...
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 17th May 2008 at 11:35 AM.

Wow you know & own them all.

Léa d´issey was a long time ago my favorite (smelled like washing powder at last for me) which i could buy after a long time again. Sander for man (the meeting of 2 minimalists) is in my wishlist. Want to try the last Sander man (2007) from Thierry Wasser & Annick Menardo too.

Ultraviolet Rabanne is another which i am looking for to try.
    Last edited by sanatik; 17th May 2008 at 12:30 PM.

First I liked Declaration.. Then I hated it. Nowdays, I love it! One of my favorits.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 17th November 2011 at 01:26 PM.

Great scent.

AromiErotici

I now own and really enjoy Declaration. A few years back, I was kind of indifferent to it and Essence, but my proclivities has changed somewhat and now I love wearing it.....especially in the warmer months.

Both versions are bottle worthy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I now own and really enjoy Declaration. A few years back, I was kind of indifferent to it and Essence, but my proclivities has changed somewhat and now I love wearing it.....especially in the warmer months.

Both versions are bottle worthy IMO.
    Agreed. Both versions are great, but if I was forced to pick only one, it would be Essence..

Someone here that own the refillable Declaration brown leather case? I`ve been looking for it, but it seems to be out of production :-(

the first 10 seconds are challenging but then it evolves in a really great scent. One of the best designer fragrances out there

declaration kicks ass and takes names.

Declaration imo is one of the most underrated fragrances out there. I love it. I have noticed that the general public doesn't seem to like it much. Most sales associates at the stores and even store customers never reach for it. When they do they don't seem to have anything nice to say about it.

A scent which never ceases to amaze and which invites to be continuously rediscovered

I just blind bought it 2 days ago because I found it cheaper than usual.
    First I regretted it a bit, because to me, it smelled like Ck One smells on my stepfather when he's sweating, so I was a bit scared to smell like that.
    I had, like some reviewers on BN, that BO/armpit association even before I read about it on here. But at the same time, I found something appealing in that "dirtiness", because some really good notes -I love cardamom, so maybe that's it, even if I can't smell it distinctly- counterbalance it.
    I kept testing it since then, and I'm impressed how much it changed to my nose. No sweat smell anymore, just very refined blend of woods and a touch of florals in the beginning, it has some real evolution and deep character.
    I don't have regrets anymore, it's a very nice fragrance and very different than the other ones of my collection.
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

When I first sniffed it in a store, I was practically anosmic. I didn't get it at all. Then, I got a sample to take home, and it began to grow on me. It is very distinctive. It does have a little bit of that modern ozonic aquatic feel--I usually don't like such things, but this is exceptional. However, I still feel it is a bit hard to get. I am not sure that is has the feeling I would like to project when I wear it. Is it a compliment-getter?

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    Declaration imo is one of the most underrated fragrances out there.
    I think it is too.