Code of Conduct

Default Acqua de Parma Colonia or Assoluta? Why??

I want to purchase ADP Colonia or Assoluta. Just not sure which one to choose. I want longevity and freshness to be the main reasons for my purchase. I really dont want this to die out on me as soon as I apply it. Help me out here guys/girls! Thanks!

Default Re: Acqua de Parma Colonia or Assoluta? Why??

Have you sampled them both? Which one do you like?

I just recently sampled them and while I do like both and would be happy with either, I am going to get Assoluta. The day I sampled the Assoluta, I kept wanting to smell my wrist. It is an amazing scent to me and can't wait to wear it this summer.

Since I don't own either (yet) I can't tell you about longevity.

Good luck with your choice.

Seems most people around here prefer the original, I prefer Assoluta. Better longevity and a bit more modern / complex.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I don't find the Assoluta to have longevity far outstripping the original. Maybe a bit, I suppose... but nothing to get jazzed up about.
    My trick with the AdP Colonia is to almost over-spray, at first. Two or three to the chest, one, maybe two to the wrists... and yes, I will smell a bit... strongly... at first. But that method keeps me fragrant for many hours. As far as freshness... well, CA is a sweeter rose, and one that has a bit of old lady vibe.
    Recently I have much maligned Colonia Assoluta in other posts. I owned it for a while and recently traded it away... I simply never used it. Not so much that I dislike the brew... just seems redundant with other things I have, and quite honestly, sub-par from the original masterpiece. That's my two scents. Oops! hahaha. unintended typo.
    Last edited by Oaksbluff; 29th April 2008 at 10:17 PM.

Buy the Assoluta if you like leather.. because it has a pretty leathery drydown.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Sur la Plage

I personally prefer the original Colonia - it is a classic. I feel the original Colonia has a more richer scent then Assoluta. I am particularly fond of the role that the rose note plays in the original. I feel that note is not as apparent in Assoluta.

I do not have a problem with longevity with the original Colonia. But I know some people do, and choose to go with Assoluta or Intensa instead.

Definitely try both out on yourself and see which one works best for you. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Good luck!

Joe
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Buy the Assoluta if you like leather.. because it has a pretty leathery drydown.
    I think it's the Intensa that has the leathery drydown...

Blog Entries

You can sample them both. I prefer the Colonia and have no problems with longevity (@ 12 hours on me). It's got very nice citrus topnotes (citrus, but not sharp or acid) and a nice rose middle. The drydown, on me, is like lime blossoms.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I havent tested either one yet. I intend on doing so. I know it sounds kind of crazy to ask for a recommendation without trying it first. It sounds to me like Colonia might be the one of choice if I want something that thats not too intense but still has a good scent to it. Ill try both and get back with everyone!

I prefer Intensa over the other two and strongly recommend you try it alongside the others.

But of the two you have mentioned, Assoluta.

AdP Colonia is sublime, a true masterpiece of perfumery blending. It's classic done right, classic done to near perfection. I've not smelled the Assoluta or Intensa yet, but you simply can't go wrong with AdP Colonia.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Intensa is better than the pair of them IMHO and you haven't even got that on the radar!

I recently made exactly this buying decision. I have smelled all three and the Intensa wins hands down.

While I haven't tried Assoluta, or any of the others in the AdP range, I just recently got hold of a sample of the original. Yesterday I gave it my first full wearing and I was stunned. AdP Colonia is truly a masterpiece. From the second I spray it on it feels natural and "true". The lemons in the top are amazing and when the rose comes in I can't stop smelling myself. I wanted to bathe in it. I'd say Colonia an amazing study in classic perfumery and while I suppose some people will feel it's a bit old fashioned I love it and the quality is certainly undeniable. Longevity doesn't seem to be a problem for me either as I kept getting wafts of the extraordinary scent for many hours (10-12+).

Needless to say, it propelled right to the top of my to-buy list.

Where can I get samples of all 3? Do they even give out samples?

Blog Entries

You can get samples from online vendors, like this list at The Perfumed Court.

Or, Acqua di Parma products are carried at many high-end retailers such as Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue. Don't know what their equivalent would be in your part of the world, though.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I'm with Dimitri in that I prefer the Intensa over the other two.

AdP's "official" samples (the kind mentioned above that come from Saks or Neimans) are in a spray-vial - the best kind of samples, in my opinion.

I can probably just wait until I get back to the states. Ill be back in 2 weeks or so. Im not sure if any store in Oklahoma City has it. Do you think Sephora would samples?

Thumbs up Re: Acqua de Parma Colonia or Assoluta? Why??

ngtmare,

Go to Neiman Marcus. I think you can get samples there.( Normally you have to make a purchase.)

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by ngtmare View Post
    I can probably just wait until I get back to the states. Ill be back in 2 weeks or so. Im not sure if any store in Oklahoma City has it. Do you think Sephora would samples?
    As far as I know, Sephora sells AdP online but not in their stores.

I have seen AdP products at Neiman Marcus, Nordstoms, and Barneys. I just usually try some on in the store and then ask the SA for a sample to take home for further evaluation. They usually are more then happy to give me a sample free of charge and without making a purchase.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 30th April 2008 at 09:51 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't know the original Colonia, but do have Assoluta with a big bottle and a sample vial of Intensa. Intensa is not my cup of tee, but it has about nothing common with the Colonias.
    Now, maybe the original is better than Assoluta, but I'm extremely satisfied with it and don't have heartache whatsoever for that A very nice citrusy, flowery, yet gentlemanly scent. Uplifting to the extreme, a real joy to wear.

I have Colonia Assoluta sample. To my mind it's a nice variation on Habit Rouge theme.
    citrusy top notes and leathery drydown
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I don't understand the comparisons of AdP Colonia and Assoluta to Intensa.

They are completely different scents.

Colonia and Assoluta are classical citrus fragrances while Intensa is a fresh Dry Woods (leather) scent.

If it is just because they are from the same house, it would, IMHO, be like asking about Neroli Sauvage and Citrus Bigarrade, then being told to try Royal English Leather instead.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Both are excellent in every way.

I prefer the original Colonia, but Assoluta is a close second.
    The mix of notes in Colonia is absolutely fantastic, and it is the
    more refreshing of the two, in my opinion. The combination of
    top quality citrus and Bulgarian rose is a winner in any season, but
    especially in summer. And Colonia lasts a few hours, which is no
    small accomplishment for a citrus scent.

Assoluta has the more modern and (perhaps) more complex drydown,
    and I purchased it before I purchased Colonia. It may last a bit
    longer than Colonia, but both are respectable.

Both are first-class scents. Buy with confidence.
    My brief sampling of Intensa suggested it was not in the same league,
    so I didn't pursue it further.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 6th May 2008 at 08:01 AM.

"Colonia and Assoluta are classical citrus fragrances while Intensa is a fresh Dry Woods (leather) scent."

Huh? That description doesn't match the bottle of Intensa I have which is absolutely not dry woods/leather?

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    "Colonia and Assoluta are classical citrus fragrances while Intensa is a fresh Dry Woods (leather) scent."

Huh? That description doesn't match the bottle of Intensa I have which is absolutely not dry woods/leather?
    I must agree with the dry woods. What do you think Intensa is like?

Colonia is my fav and is a classic EDC. Absoluta, I don't like very well. The spices have teathered the subtle beauty that is found in the original and takes it to a completely different identity.

Assoluta all the way...

Thumbs up Re: Acqua de Parma Colonia or Assoluta? Why??

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I must agree with the dry woods. What do you think Intensa is like?
    Intensa is a charged up version of Colonia. I like Intensa better. Longevity isn't a problem. More "Bang" for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    Intensa is a charged up version of Colonia. I like Intensa better. Longevity isn't a problem. More "Bang" for your buck.
    TwoRoads won't be happy to read this again Don't be so rude to him.