Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Paco Rabanne vs. Bond No.9 Great Jones

well some of you had said that they are similar, and having bought Paco Rabanne today....i can say that they are virtually IDENTICAL.

amazing that Bond No. 9 can get away with such plagiarism.....

but how about Paco Rabanne....it's SUCH a classic. Smells so rock and roll.

ALL HAIL PACO RABANNE!

Default Re: Paco Rabanne vs. Bond No.9 Great Jones

Boo Bond!.. atleast you can throw your bottle of the Bond my way

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Boo Bond!.. atleast you can throw your bottle of the Bond my way
    i was GOING to buy Great Jones, but i never did because i'd been meaning to buy a bottle of Paco Rabanne first........and i'm quite lucky i saved myself $125 at the Bond No. 9 shop! i just have samples of Great Jones. the side by side comparison is shocking.....criminal even!

Shocking comparison indeed. I think that Great Jones is a little bit deeper, more of what Paco Rabanne used to be. That could just be my sample of GJ versus my bottle of Paco though.
    I think Paco has been made cheap over the years or maybe it's the EU regulations. I remember it being much stronger and deeper. I still love it and yes, paying $125 more for the Great Jones is kind of sickening.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Shocking comparison indeed. I think that Great Jones is a little bit deeper, more of what Paco Rabanne used to be. That could just be my sample of GJ versus my bottle of Paco though.
    I think Paco has been made cheap over the years or maybe it's the EU regulations. I remember it being much stronger and deeper. I still love it and yes, paying $125 more for the Great Jones is kind of sickening.
    well since the GJ is a true eau de parfum that's oil based, as opposed to water based....it feels 'stronger'.....however nothing an extra spray of PR couldn't cure!

I don't really remember the 'old' formulation of Paco Rabanne. I was probably 10 or 12 years old when i had a small half ounce bottle of PR back in the day.......i remember i liked it back then because it made me feel like an adult. now that i'm in my early 30s...it makes me feel like a spy. ha!

it's funny how a scent that's been around for SO long still feels like magic when it hasn't been smelled in a while. I'm still puzzled at how Bond can make something so similar.....surely people in the industry must have noticed.....

Paco Rabanne is the greatest. My number 1 of all time.

When do you think a change in formulation was made? I don't see any difference in my current bottle.

Anyone know?
    BOIEK::LAPISHCHIN
    Tsar::0f::The::Samovar
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau d'Hermès and Habit Rouge
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver
    Gucci Envy and his bad brother Le Mâle
    English Leather (Dana) and Agua Lavanda (Puig)

The "plagiarism" is something usual in perfume industry! Take a look at XS by this designer and Himalaya by Creed!

Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    The "plagiarism" is something usual in perfume industry! Take a look at XS by this designer and Himalaya by Creed!
    but nobody wants to call out Creed on it. that's blasphemous!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Creed copied XS? or the other way around?

i'm not really into Creed...so i dunno much about their history with that fragrance

I have recently rediscovered Paco Rabanne and I'm loving it.

You can find derivation in most of the Bond's. It was their modus operandi. This has been discussed before. I happen to think Great Jones/Paco Rabanne is the most blatant example.
    They seem to be moving away from that at this point with scents like Chinatown and Silver Factory.

XS by Paco Rabanne came before Himalaya. Mugler's Cologne came before Creed's Original Vetiver.
    Millesime Imperial came before Unforgivable. Cool Water and Floris JF came before GIT, etc. etc. etc.
    "Plagiarism", copying, etc. will always be present yet there some scents will be slightly different and if they aren't that different, there still will be the dissenters that claim scent A is "completely different" than scent B even though most cannot tell the difference.

Back to Paco Rabanne and Great Jones. A blind comparison with Great Jones on one arm and Paco Rabanne on the other, my wife says they are the same scent, my daughter says Great Jones is "deeper".
    Close enough for me.

Eric

Red face Re: Paco Rabanne vs. Bond No.9 Great Jones

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    And as far as I'm an unbeliever let me betray:
    -Original Santal BY CREED is a copy of Joop! Homme
    -Original Vetyver BY CREED is a copy of Mugler Cologne
    -Himalaya BY CREED is a copy of XS
    When an aristoctaic, imperial, prestigeous brand with hundreds of years of history behave this way, what could we expect from their greenhorn who went and invent Bond No.9?!!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Cool Water and Floris JF came before GIT, etc. etc. etc.

Eric
    To best of my knowledge it is not true! Creed made GIT(1985) , then davidoff made Cool Water(1988). Nowadays Creed produce a scent under name of GIT which is very similar to Cool Water. Some people who assume that, the GIT's formula has not been changed from 1985 to now, claims Cool Water is a copy of GIT. As far as I didn't smell the GITs which were produced during 1985-88, I cant say anything about these claims!
    Last edited by msi_21; 1st May 2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

msi_21, your dates are correct, my apologies. I was overzealous in my replay and didn't check my facts.
    Ultimately, my point was in agreement with yours. Plagiarism is abundant and some manufacturers are guilty of it, Bond being the extreme case and even the mighty, "historical" house of Creed takes part in it.

I think I will shower myself with Paco Rabanne today in honor of this thread. :-)

Eric