Code of Conduct

Default Help me pick 6 samples for the girlfriend.

She likes sweet, modern scents, but nothing too out there. I recently ordered her a sample of Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au The Rouge which she really liked. Conversely, she didn't like Mitsouko that much, and she wasn't impressed with Czech and Speake #88. I'd prefer to get some designer suggestions. Thanks.

Default Re: Help me pick 6 samples for the girlfriend.

I'm not sure how helpful my answer will be since I've not smelled any of the ones she's tried (though I'm quite tempted by Thé Rouge).
    How about Lolita Lempicka and/or L de Lolita Lempicka, and Bulgari Blv Notte? I find them to be both sweet and modern-but my definition of modern might not be the same as yours!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

For strawberry-sweet popularity, it's hard to deny the success of Hanae Mori's Butterfly. Along similar lines, there's the oft-overlooked Chopard Mira Bai with its pralines component.

We're going to be talking about fruity fragrances this Saturday (see SnS thread), and you're bound to read about some sweeties there.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Narciso Rodriguez for her. I wish it worked on my girlfriends skin.

I also really like Armani White.

Alright, some research has led me to this list. Feel free to suggest additions and corresponding subtractions.

1. Cristobal
    2. Hanae Mori Butterfly
    3. Chopard Mira Bai
    4. Clinique Happy Heart or Lolita Lempicka
    5. Tom Ford Black Orchid
    6. (Need a gourmand, or something unconventional, yet not Mapplethorpe wierd)
    Last edited by studdg; 1st May 2008 at 01:30 AM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

How's this for a gourmand-extravaganza? References like this one from the incomparable moondeva can be found connected to Sniff 'n' Speak threads.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Hello folks!

'Gourmand' in perfumes to me are scents that feature an 'edible' accord / note / aspect to their character. This does not include perfumes that feature notes like Tarragon, Basil, Rosemary or Sage which fall under the 'herbaceous' genre of perfumery. It also overlaps but does not always include perfumes featuring fruit notes. The key to whether a scent is foody or gourmand is whether the note causes an involuntary salivary response and / or conjures images / associations with food in the minds of those smelling the scent.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=192040&page=2&highlight=gourmand

Personally, I find most mainstream gourmands simplistic and juvenile (probably because they are much preferred by younger (20 and younger) fragrance wearers. The phenomena of grown (30+ ) women preffering these scents is a more modern trend and is most prevalent in the Western hemisphere (mainly the USA).

When I do enjoy a gourmand scent it is usually a sophisticated note such as licorice, coffee, or liqueur rather than the more obvious notes of caramel, chocolate, vanilla and tonka bean. I have found that a foody scent is gourmand but not all gourmands are 'foody'. Gourmands have come a long way since the launch of Thierry Mugler's Angel and there is a gourmand for everyone out there!

My personal 'gourmands':

TBS Altaro
    Boucheron Trouble - smooth almond
    Trussardi Python - wonderful chocolate heart accord
    Caron Farnesiana parfum - dominated by heliotrope but this is a cosy, almost edible almondy delight on me.
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukhoum - official all about almond but this is pure Mr Kiplings Cherry Bakewell on me...
    Serge Lutens Louve - another almond from this house but this time it is the scent of the candied cherry on top of the aforementioned Cherry Bakewell (dessert)
    TBS Amorito - sophisticated but casual jasmine / chocolate dominated blend
    TBS Strawberry
    TBS Fuzzy Peach
    Ava Luxe Milk parfum - pure Nestle Condensed Milk on me. Very comforting.
    Ava Luxe Cafe Noir parfum - truest coffee / coffee cake scent ever!
    Givenchy Organza Indecence - warm, sandalwoody cinnamon dusted vanilla biscuits
    TBS Woody Sandalwood (vintage) - opens like mince pies / winter fruits with a dash of spice before the sandalwood 'emerges'. Latest 'blend' is more fruit / spice than sandalwood.
    Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon - the scent of rich, expensive, balsamic bourbon vanilla essence.
    Christian Dior Miss Dior Cherie - Synthetic strawberries and champagne. Delicate and fun in summer, feminine.
    Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon - warm, sensual chocolate musk (what Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur would be without the powder)
    Badgely Mischka Femme - Berries, patchouli and champagne
    Hermes Ambre Narguile / Joop! Femme - Boozy soft balsamic cinnamon / spice
    Diesel Zero Plus Feminine - Opens as a sweet red berries and cherry milkshake and ends as sexy musk laced with coconut
    Diesel Plus Plus Feminine - alledged to be inspired and built around milk but is more of a warm slightly orangey tinged caramel.
    Diesel Zero Plus Masculine - warm, sandalwoody cinnamon dusted vanilla biscuits
    Dunhill Desire for a Man - warm (sophisticated) toffee apples on a soft musk base
    Police Eyes for You - opens with effervescent pink grapefruit but the main accord is a yummy hazelnut musk
    Yardley Fruit Sensations: Raspberry & Vanilla
    Yardley Fruit Sensations: Strawberry & Kiwi
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice - wonderful gingerbread accord
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere - licorice / anise and a warm yummy vanilla woods base
    Lolita Lempicka 'L'- another gourmand vanilla woods blend laced with licorice / anise
    Thierry Mugler B*Men - coffee & pine
    Thierry Mugler A*Men - caramel and patchouli
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille - licorice laced woody vanilla
    Dunhill Desire for a Woman - yet another licorice / anise laced woody vanilla
    Chopard Casmir - the tonka bean in the base of this can be very temperamental on me. But on a good day - imagine homemade indian rice pudding with nutmeg and slices of pan sauteed peach slices coated in honey...
    Chopard Mira Bai - a fresher, less cloying woodier version of Casmir
    Five Star Fragrance Company Royal Secret II / Royal Secret for Men - wonderful sweet aromatic mulled winter fruits on a woody base. The men's version is drier / less sweet / woodier / spicier than the females.
    Rochas Femme (modern) - not officially a gourmand, but I often find that this has an almost gourmand almond patisserie character to it. Probably due to the peach / plum notes on the sweetened vanilla chypre base.
    L'Artisan Tea 4 Two - the honey & tea notes in this scent dominate on my skin
    Bond No.9 Chinatown - may not be a gourmand for others but there is a distinctive coconut / paper paste accord in this that makes it incredibly foody on me.
    CDG Wood Coffee - not much coffee in this. Like the coffee note in Balmain Balmya and BY D&G Woman (leopard skin bottle) it is mainly in the background providing warm and complexity to the blend. But this background warm coupled with the yummy warm vanilla woods makes this another gourmand winter favourite.
    Boots Natural Collection Black Cherry Musk - smells exactly like it's name implies.
    TBS Almond body products - I know these are not strictly scents but this is a great 'true' almond scent for those who love gourmands. The scent is strong enough to scent without using an EDT. Best to use showergel + body lotion / butter.
    TBS Brazil Nut body products - dark (burnt) vanilla caramel
    TBS Coconut body products - 'true' fresh coconut flesh scent
    TBS Vanilla Spice body products - vanilla and cinnamon / nutmeg cookies
    TBS Cranberry body products - fresh, effervescent, 'juicy' cranberry / red berry scent
    TBS Satsuma body products and perfume oil
    Ava Luxe Forbidden Fruits - pomegranate + fig
    Ava Luxe Wild Black Fig - sophisticated scent but still yummy!
    Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant - ocassionally this can turn into a spice nightmare on me but usually this is a spiced plum pudding delight on me, especially when the vanilla comes into play
    Dinner by Bobo - similar to L'Elephant but the vanilla is more pronounced
    Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis - fresh green figs
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir - sophisticated red berry dominated smoky spiced blend
    Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey - delicate sweet peaches laced with honey
    Jean Louis Scherrer Nuits Indiennes - another heliotrope scent similar to Caron Farnesiana
    Jean Patou Patou For Ever - this is officially a chypre scent but on me it is a sweet pineapple dominated confection
    Parfums de Couer Pineapple Fantasy - similar to Patou For Ever but fresher with a truer pineapple character
    Parfums de Couer Sugar Apple Fantasy - more cotton candy than sugar apple but fun and yummy none the less
    Guerlain Shalimar Eau Legere - pure lemon and vanilla pie
    Givenchy Oblique Rewind - smoky cherry liqueur
    Demeter Tiramisu
    iPdF Ambra del Nepal - this is not a true gourmand but the smoky vanilla amber in this reads as a gourmand scent to me. I think it is the 'texture' of the scent that does it for me.
    iPdF Vaniglia de Madagascar - very pleasant foody vanilla.
    Demeter Dulce de Leche

I do hope that this helps some folks! ::smile::
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by studdg View Post
    She likes sweet, modern scents, but nothing too out there. I recently ordered her a sample of Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au The Rouge which she really liked. Conversely, she didn't like Mitsouko that much, and she wasn't impressed with Czech and Speake #88. I'd prefer to get some designer suggestions. Thanks.
    If she likes sweet, she'll love Marilyn Miglin's Destiny. This is a favorite of a female friend of mine. She has a nose that could be in the perfume biz. Definitely a feminine scent. But don't get it for her if you don't like the attention she will get from wearing it.

Cristobal
    Very Irrisistible
    Angel Innocent

KenzoAmour
    Burberry Brit
    Gaultier 2
    My Insolence (Guerlain)
    Liberté (Cacharel)

Hanae Mori Butterfly

Some great suggestions here. Lolita Lempicka was the first thing that came to my mind (although I prefer Aimez Moi, by Caron, which smells kind of similar), along with Insolence. I'd also suggest Dior - Addict and Hypnotic Poison. Flowerbomb is sweet floral, also with musk so not sure that would be appealing to her. Also, try Cartier Delices - sweet floral and cherry. The perfume smells better than the EDT. Butterfly is a great suggestion as well. I know there are many others, will have to think ....