Code of Conduct

Default Give me a list of what to sample/buy tomorrow :)

Tomorrow I'm going to spend most of the day sampling fragrances. Now I need advices of what I must not miss. Usually I sniff by the name or the look of the bottle - I'm sure I'm missing out on some gems using this method . Please recommend what's worth sniffing from the following three categories:

1. Designer fragrances (or non niche)
    2. Diptyque
    3. Acqua di Parma (I own and love the original colonia and Arancia).

I know the first category is huge, so try limiting your recommendations to no more than three fragrances. I'm looking forward bringing your opinions with me to the stores tomorrow.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm really interested in finding some good rose fragrances too. Are there any good in the designer-category (don't say Black XS - I don't like it ).
    Last edited by irrbloss; 30th April 2008 at 08:25 PM.

Default Re: Give me a list of what to sample/buy tomorrow :)

Bvlgari Aqua Marine - not worth buying a bottle, but it is worth seeing how well they captured the salty (very salty) sea air - I couldn't take it on my skin after a minute or so though, and had to (try to) wash it off - it was like accidentally swallowing ocean water and having that taste linger.

Diptyque - Philosykos, of course! Actually, I'd love a bottle. or at least a sample. :P

I've never smelled Acqua di Parma or any of the variations.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    Diptyque - Philosykos, of course! Actually, I'd love a bottle. or at least a sample.
    I once tried it after all the raving reviews here on BN, but I couldn't see the beauty of it. Maybe it's in the drydown (I didn't get that far with it, I threw away the sample card :P).

If you are going to a department store, I'd say the more recent releases:

1. Non Niche: FOr a rose smelling one I don't know. I have heard Givenchy Insense is a big floral as is Dior Homme (though Dior isn't rosy). JPG Fleur de Male is very synthetic, but floral.

2. Diptyque "Philosykos" is in my option one of their very best. If you like figs. Great warm weather scent. Moderate sillage and moderate longevity. I like Tom Dao, Do San. You may want ot look at Opone for a rosey smell?

3. Acqua di Parma - I really do not know much about this!
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Sur la Plage

Not sure what you already own or have sampled already, but for designer scents I would recommend trying:

Dior Homme or Dior Homme Intense
    Viktor and Rolf Antidote
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him

You may want to try the AdP Colonia Intensa or Assoluta. I personally prefer the original Colonia that you own. So if you already own the original, there may be no need for the others. But that is for you to decide. There is also Mirto di Panarea from the Blu Mediterraneo line of AdP. I personally wasn't overly thrilled with, but you may want to give it a sniff.

For a rose scent, maybe Ungaro III.

Have a good time sampling/shopping!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 30th April 2008 at 09:09 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Christian Lacroix - tumulte (dry cedar forest + ink)
    ST Dupont - Noir
    Cartier - Le Baiser Du Dragon (oriental)
    Rochas - Desir (chocolate+cigar+woods) - this time they did gourmand just right for me, Rochas Man i used to hate...
    Kenneth Cole - RSVP (booooze, unique and dirty)
    Hugo Boss - Dark Blue (juts love this one, get a 30 ml, you'll treasure it)

&

Narcisco Rodriguez!!

Niche - sorry, not much exposure in that space....
    Last edited by jenson; 30th April 2008 at 08:59 PM.

Two words:

TRY EVERYTHING!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Two words:

TRY EVERYTHING!
    I usually do, but sometimes I come home with something that I don't like. Probably because my nose gets tired in the store sniffing everything, that's why I'm asking you .

Haha, I have to agree with Scentronic! There's no need to limit yourself, I say. Especially seeing as how your first category (i.e. non-niche scents) is incredibly expansive. But I'll make an uninformed recommendation anyway.

Diptyque - Oyedo (no, I have not smelled this... but it's apparently a sweet orange smell, which means I would probably love it).
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

You might try Diptyque's Tam Dao/Opone or Colonia/Assoluta from AdP.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 30th April 2008 at 09:20 PM.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    I usually do, but sometimes I come home with something that I don't like. Probably because my nose gets tired in the store sniffing everything, that's why I'm asking you .
    Oh, and try and adopt the policy of not buying anything that you aren't absolutely crazy about! If the scent falls into any grey area whatsoever, try and get a sample first!

I know this way isn't quite as exciting as coming home with a new bottle, but trust a guy who's had to sell or trade away 2 bottles for every 1 that I've kept!

There is quite a level of satisfaction to be had in acquiring a massive collection of samples and decants to compliment your collection of bottles! Sometimes, we (I) get so caught up in how good, nostalgic, rich, complex, etc a fragrance is, but fail to realize that it is either such an oddity or something that I'd simply appreciate being able to smell whenever I want - and this, for me, isn't enough justification to drop the money on a big bottle. If something doesn't scream out to you "you cannot live without me - I am THE scent you NEED", then just get a sample and figure out if it's something you'd actually wear, or if it's just something that you like and just smells good.

and btw, the best way to get samples is from other basenoters, and if you're lucky, the sales associates will give you what they have or maybe even MAKE you some samples up. (decant into an empty vial for you) Do NOT pay $4 a piece for samples online! I just read something about a guy who spent almost $200 on something like 21 samples from The Perfumed Court - totally ridiculous, imo! The Perfumed Court should only be used as a last resort when you need to try something that you simply can't find a sample of anywhere else. I've gotten by without ever dealing with them, and I've got at least 300 samples and decants, all categorized in a nice multi-droor toolbox thing.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Eau d'Hermès
    Mitsouko
    Armani Privé Bois d'Encens

Since you´re going to try Diptyque, I think I know where you are going tomorrow. NK have all I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Eau d'Hermès
    Mitsouko
    Armani Privé Bois d'Encens

Since you´re going to try Diptyque, I think I know where you are going tomorrow. NK have all I mentioned above.
    That's right, NK and Åhléns . I guess those are the only places open tomorrow (1st of may). I have looked for the Hermes-section at NK, but never found it. I asked and some pointed me in the wrong direction, and some said they didn't know of Hermes. Where is it?

If you take the big entrance from Hamngatan, use the stairs straight ahead and go ten meters to the left... Close to the café. Rather anonymous. The Armani just to the left of Diptyque in their own counter.

Ps. Be careful with the Eau d'Hermès.