Code of Conduct

Default Replacement for Ralph Lauren Blue

Hi --

My girlfriend currently uses Ralph Lauren Blue - which of course is being/has been discontinued. Does anyone have any recommendations for an aquatic floral with musk that might smell similiar?

Default Re: Replacement for Ralph Lauren Blue

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayerchris View Post
    My girlfriend currently uses Ralph Lauren Blue - which of course is being/has been discontinued. Does anyone have any recommendations for an aquatic floral with musk that might smell similiar?
    Michael Edwards' web site recommends Azzaro Now for Women.

I am usually disappointed when I try to find something as close to an old favorite. Close just never seems good enough, and every time I put on the impostor, I'm reminded how unsatisfactory a replacement it is for my lost love.

What works for me is to go in the opposite compass direction from my discontinued favorite -- try to find something that I like that is as different from my old favorite as night and day. I might find a new favorite, rather than a poor impostor.

Basenotes Plus

I have Ralph Lauren Blue & have switched to Antonia Flowers Sogni del Mare. You might try getting her a sample of that & see if she would like it.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Michael Edwards' web site recommends Azzaro Now for Women.
    Do you have a subscription? or are you using one of the product finders he has built for some other site?

Do you have a subscription? or are you using one of the product finders he has built for some other site?
    I go to http://www.fragrance.org. You can click on "Michael Edwards Fragrances of the World," which give recommendations, or click on "Fragrance Directory." It's interesting, but the interface is maddeningly awful.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I have Ralph Lauren Blue & have switched to Antonia Flowers Sogni del Mare. You might try getting her a sample of that & see if she would like it.
    Thanks - though as I am in the UK this only appears to be available at fairly eye watering prices (the standard way of pricing for the UK involves taking the US price and converting it numerically into the same number of pounds).

Sigh--I really needed this database when I was flailing around trying to find a Coty Wild Musk replacement!! Turns out, many of the "finer" fragrances I like are related to CWM according to Edwards, so based on my experience, I would say the database has some great suggestions.

I think it is also worthwhile to look at the 3 recommendations he gives to see if there are others which are in the same family.

I know this might sound horrific to you, but Britney Spears Curious smells virtually identical to RL Blue to my nose, perhaps a little lighter. Also, Moschino Funny is pretty close too, after a few minutes on the skin.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Hi --

Ralph Loren Blue has to be available either from local or internet sources in the UK for at least a while. Why not just stock up on what she likes while it still is?
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Sigh--I really needed this database when I was flailing around trying to find a Coty Wild Musk replacement!! Turns out, many of the "finer" fragrances I like are related to CWM according to Edwards, so based on my experience, I would say the database has some great suggestions.

I think it is also worthwhile to look at the 3 recommendations he gives to see if there are others which are in the same family.
    Whenever I was looking for recommendations (for both male and female fragrances) the recommendations were from fairly early on in the alphabet - so I guess it's not a set of random 3 from the list of similiar perfumes, but rather the first three from the alphabetical list of similiar perfumes.

My point? I don't have one It was just interesting to me that this was obviously how things were being picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    How do you get suggestions out of the database? (I presume you are talking about fragrancedirectory.info) all I get is the family that the particular perfume belonds to - so I can look up fragrances that I already know of - I just can't find any new ones - apart from just browsing through everything.

Whenever I was looking for recommendations (for both male and female fragrances) the recommendations were from fairly early on in the alphabet - so I guess it's not a set of random 3 from the list of similiar perfumes, but rather the first three from the alphabetical list of similiar perfumes.

My point? I don't have one It was just interesting to me that this was obviously how things were being picked up.
    Hmm, well I had some from late in the alphabet (eg, Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford), so I think this might not be the case. However, I wonder if there are some fragrances that overlap some boundaries so that they show up more often in different searches. One that kept popping up for me was Eau de Shalimar.

How do you get suggestions out of the database? (I presume you are talking about fragrancedirectory.info) all I get is the family that the particular perfume belonds to - so I can look up fragrances that I already know of - I just can't find any new ones - apart from just browsing through everything.
    I went to the link

http://www.fragrance.org/

and clicked on the blue and white button on the lower right of the page.

Then, I clicked on the "Feminine" button on the right side of the page, and an alphabetical index showed up. I picked by fragrance name, and the site gave 3 recommendations.

I can't remember exactly what Hamptons (bond no.9) smells like, but the name and the concept remind me of RL Blue (I like this frag as well).

It has been really discontinued? Try Curious B.Spears - it is sweet, "waxy" version of R.L. Blue, or Blush by Marc Jacobs - the same cold, greenish, floral "aura".
    Last edited by melancholic-botanist; 9th May 2008 at 05:19 PM.
    http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=URETJ3JnfOU

White and Red. White - smell of mosses, velvety petals of butterfly-orchids, murmurs of streams, rustles of weird consonants. Red - polish people, envy, jealousy, god-avenger, red paint on my door.

Quote Originally Posted by melancholic-botanist View Post
    It has been really discontinued? Try Curious B.Spears - it is sweet, "waxy" version of R.L. Blue, or Blush by Marc Jacobs - the same cold, greenish, floral "aura".
    Yes it has - I've found Bulgari White Tea to be somewhat similiar as is Ange Du Demon Tendre by Givenchy - thanks to everyone for their recommendations the frangrancedirectory.info website was quite useful.

I followed the link and the suggestions all were A's. I clicked on the suggestions and asked for their fragrance cousins and stayed pretty much corralled in the same 4 suggestions--three 'A' and one 'C' fragrance.

I wear RL Blue still--it's great for hot days. It' pyramid (from osMoz, I think) is

Top: lotus, jasmine, lily of the valley (aka. muguet), peony, gardenia

Middle: May Rose, Nantucket (???), tuberose, orange flower

Base: sandal, musk, ambrette, moss, vetiver

I've always thought it was more like: grapefruit, LOV, rose, musk, moss.

I have some other fragrances with a similiar crisp, green feel.
    Aqua Allegoria Gentiana -not as sweetly floral--oops, also d/c'd
    Violetta di Parma -has the greeness, the LOV, but sweet in a crisp, cooler...violet
    way. Heh.
    Gendarme -well, it's crisp, in a clean lavender way

Anyhoo, I know it's classified as a floral somewhere (I think I recall) but keep in mind it is distinctly a green chypre-ish fragrance (citrus up top and oakmoss below). You might want to try a sample of Long Lost Perfume's Crepe de Chine --

Top: Nerolie, bergamot, basil, aldehydes

Mid: gardenia, ylang ylang, carnation, lilac, rose, chamomile, jasmine

Base: sandalwood, musk, oakmoss, vanilla, vetiver, benzoin, patchouli

And don't forget SJP Lovely-- the 'new chypre' which is kinda sorta in the same vein (can't find my bottle this minute...)

Hmmmm, very long winded post...but I hope it may help. I myself would stock up on Blue.
    Please, spritz responsibly.