Code of Conduct

Default Macho Leather & Musk

I've recently gone from odd niche scents to enjoying butch leather/musk '70's and '80's scents like Fendi Uomo. I've read a great deal about what reviewers on basenotes recommend, but now that I've got a handful of options, I'm not sure which ones to buy. These aren't frags that are readily available anymore at stores and getting samples of these inexpensive frags seems a bit silly, so some blind buy advice seems appropriate. Here are the ones I'm considering:
    Bandit, Tussardi Uomo, Santos, Halson Z-14, Jacomo, Quorum, Sergio Tacchini, Trumper's Spanish Leather.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 4th May 2008 at 11:43 PM.

Default Re: Macho Leather & Musk

Azzaro PH and Santos are my two favourites (along with Polo Green, which isn't really leather or musk but is nonetheless fabulous)

Knize Ten is an awesome leather from several generations earlier (ie the 20s!)

Ged
    --------------------------------------
    I forgot Antaeus, definitely in the top 2 or 3.
    Last edited by Ged; 4th May 2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Thanks, Ged. I already own Azzaro PH, which is the only reason it wasn't on my list of possible purchases.

Tony

Basenotes Institution

Bandit! Hands down, in my opinion, the best of those you've listed.

For a cheapo, Carlo Corinto is a good choice. Leather and dark amber mostly. Not too dry like the Fendi type of stuff. I don't think there's much musk with CC, but it doesn't stay close to the skin, if that is what you want to avoid.

Blog Entries

Bandit Light Pour Homme. Heavy leather with hint of smoke (no real musk as far as I can tell), strong, heavy sillage. Fortunately, longevity is only about 4 hours - you really don't want it lasting longer than that. Drydown is nice.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Aramis Aramis - lots of leather, spice, musk and SILLAGE. Very VERY macho, I think! Though it IS 1965 ...
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 5th May 2008 at 02:13 AM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Trussardi Uomo!

No to Trumpers...
    Add Yatagan Caron.

Not a cheapo but VERY rare and expensive perfume - vintage Cuir de Lancome. A lot of leather, ambergris and real musk
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    No to Trumpers...
    Add Yatagan Caron.

Not a cheapo but VERY rare and expensive perfume - vintage Cuir de Lancome. A lot of leather, ambergris and real musk
    I like your choice of Yatagan. (CORRECTION) Ciur de Lancome has been re-issued and is readily available. I also agree with this great choice.

One other comes to mind but leaves out the musk -

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange - anamalic leather - spray lightly, this is a potent mother of a frag.

Thumbs up Re: Macho Leather & Musk

I like Van Cleef & Arples, Bel Ami, & Trussardi.

'Vintage' Tabarome (no musk, but a leather without peer)
    Cuir Mauresque
    Royal English Leather (no musk)
    Jean Pascal
    1776 Russian Leather
    Bijan for Men
    Krizia uomo
    Macassar
    Francesco Smalto
    Palais Jamais
    1818 Brooks Brothers
    G 11 Pour Homme
    Kolnisch Juchten
    Aramis
    Montana Parfum d'Homme
    Loewe para Hombre
    Devin
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    Knize Ten
    Quorum (no musk)
    Antaeus
    Oscar de la Renta pour Lui
    Yatagan
    Polo
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Azzaro by Azzaro
    The Third Man by Caron
    Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

All very musky and strong, but not much leather, I'm afraid.

[QUOTE=TwoRoads;1215473]'Vintage' Tabarome (no musk, but a leather without peer)

I have a different opinion of Tabarome - let me qoute Turin which I'm in total ageement with -

"I expected a warm, coumarinic tobacco accord and found instead a harsh sports fragrance pervaded by a hugely powerful woody-amber on a woody citrus backround. Mislabeled and pointless" LT

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Bandit! Hands down, in my opinion, the best of those you've listed.
    Second on the Bandit. If you can afford it or get a sample of Parfum d' Habit by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier .
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

[QUOTE=thebeck;1215483]
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    'Vintage' Tabarome (no musk, but a leather without peer)

I have a different opinion of Tabarome - let me qoute Turin which I'm in total ageement with -

"I expected a warm, coumarinic tobacco accord and found instead a harsh sports fragrance pervaded by a hugely powerful woody-amber on a woody citrus backround. Mislabeled and pointless" LT
    Are you referring to the 2000 Millésime Tabarome or the original Tabarome from 1875 that we call 'Vintage'?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Michael Edwards' description of Millésime Tabarome (family, Dry Woods- Fresh):
    "Tabarome Millésime is a rich, warm sensual scent perfectly balanced by a spiced citrus freshness that is appealing to both men and women."

His description of 'Vintage' Tabarome (family, Dry Woods - Rich):
    "Warm, rich, daring and bodacious. Unique and unconventional. Tabarome is highly appreciated by cigar aficionados. A strong character with a hint of mystery."

To my nose, 'Vintage' Tabarome does not have any citrus notes.

Except for testers, 'Vintage' Tabarome is available only in the 250ml flacons.

If you are referring to the Millésime, I agree with you as I don't like it either.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 6th May 2008 at 01:17 AM.

aramis!!!!!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

You might want to try Paco Rabanne PH

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I like your choice of Yatagan. (CORRECTION) Ciur de Lancome has been re-issued and is readily available. I also agree with this great choice.

One other comes to mind but leaves out the musk -

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange - anamalic leather - spray lightly, this is a potent mother of a frag.
    Hi, thebeck!

As always with perfume re-editions, Cuir de Lancome and vintage Cuir de Lancome are just two absolutely different scents that shares the same name.
    Though new one is still leather scent - it has no any raw force of masculinity.
    ummm, like serious Humphrey Bogart comparing to smiling Jacky Chan
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Hi, thebeck!

As always with perfume re-editions, Cuir de Lancome and vintage Cuir de Lancome are just two absolutely different scents that shares the same name.
    Though new one is still leather scent - it has no any raw force of masculinity.
    ummm, like serious Humphrey Bogart comparing to smiling Jacky Chan
    hello moon_fish - Absolutely correct. The re-issued Cuir is totally different and void of any raw force of masculinity. My Wife wears the re-issued Cuir which I think is a great feminine leather with a nice woody backround.

Out of those in your original post I like Halston z-14 the best. You've also gotten some really good recommendations for other options as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I like your choice of Yatagan.
    Me, too!

It really is! I absolutely loved the sample I wore yesterday ... though I did get a feminine impresison with the drydown, but not in the rest of the frag. As I was wearing a couple of other scents (scent test party) I can't say it was not one of the other ones.

I was favorably impressed with the House that made Rien, though I am not nearly as enamoured as Luca Turin.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    Me, too!

It really is! I absolutely loved the sample I wore yesterday ... though I did get a feminine impresison with the drydown, but not in the rest of the frag. As I was wearing a couple of other scents (scent test party) I can't say it was not one of the other ones.

I was favorably impressed with the House that made Rien, though I am not nearly as enamoured as Luca Turin.
    I enjoy reading Turin's comments, whether I agree or not is irrelevant. Etat Libre d'Orange does some cutting edge stuff, Rien being my favorite, but the reality is I just can't find one that is wearable. It's like he's got stock in the company and his briefs get tight just smelling one of their frags. The new Tom of Finland is very wearable, but boring.

Many thanks to everyone (esp. TwoRoads) for your advice!