Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Skai (Synthetic Series) by CdG - a mini review

Thanks to Thrax, I got some Skai to play around with this past month. I wore it a few times in the cooler weather here and then wore the rest of it in the very warm weather that's already made it's way to Miami now (this morning it was 91 degrees in Miami).

Wow - what an incredible spring scent with a just a hint of...subversiveness to it.

Most of the CdG scents are known for their fleeting longevity, which I always handled by over applying. Skai, however, is different. You do not need to over apply it, to get it to stick. Today's application was over applied and I almost got nauseous from the intense synthetic smell. Note - go easy on the trigger with this one guys.

So what does it smell like?

- PVC, albeit a very clean PVC smell. Like an outdoor pool, fresh out of the wrapper that you just blew up and set out on the backyard lawn
    - Citrus notes, but fizzy in character. Have any of you ever drank those effervescent vitamin c packets that you add to water and they bubble up like Alka Seltzer when you add water? The lemon flavored ones smell a little like the citrus in Skai, with a more white grapefruit kind of tartness to it
    - A slight sweetness mixes in with the aforementioned notes - but it not gourmand at all rather a very synthetic sweet gaseous smell (nitrous oxide?). Like Tar (also in the Synthetic Series) Skai gets its sweetness from a very standardized industrial smell.
    - The drydown is even better than the top notes - much more muted sweet synthetic notes but with a constant fresh undertone to them. I am reminded of flavored waters that are popular now. Water with natural lemon flavor (unsweetened). If this had a smell, it would smell like your skin does, with Skai on it.
    - The official notes mention leather, however I smell no leather in Skai - neither do I smell cardamom.

If you've been meaning to try one of the Synthetic Series for the first time, I highly recommend Skai. It doesn't just smell oddball and strange like many of the Comme des Garcons fragrances - it also manages to tackle the 'idea' of freshness in a very unique, cerebral and subversive way. The cool bottle can be seen here: http://www.luckyscent.com/images/products/22200.jpg

One thing I've always wondered...what does Skai mean (if it means anything at all)? Wikipedia mentions that Skai is the fictional name of a river located near the town of Ulthar in the Dreamlands stories of H. P. Lovecraft. Did CdG name their scent after something written in the 1920's by an American horror author, or am I missing something??
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Skai (Synthetic Series) by CdG - a mini review

I don't get leather in their either; I get car vinyl. I love this one and find myself wearing quite a lot.

You're right though, over application can be a very bad thing..

I buy very few bottles at retail price, Skai I paid retail price.
    Compared to the two Odeurs, Skai wins by a mile IMHO.
    Sometimes I used to think it's like an additional dimension that pops up out of nowhere when I wear it or get close to someone. It's a fresh uplifting aura in a completely different manner. Mind-blowing.
    This is no cologne, this is an aura. It actually feels as if someone with a PVC suit jumps out of a plane, soaks in all the air, compresses it and powers it up 100 times. Here I am, finally on soil again and thy name shall be SKAI.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 13th May 2008 at 06:12 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Nice review!

I think skai means some kind of imitation leather.

This is one of the easier-to-wear Synthetic Series scents, great for clubbing! I remember wearing this on a couple of occasions I went to see bands in smoky cellar bars and it was just the thing: edgy, cool & sexy without trying too hard.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Nice review!
    Thank you!

Btw. Skai together with Aqua Motu or Skai together with Erolfa is out of this world!
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Nice review!

I think skai means some kind of imitation leather.

This is one of the easier-to-wear Synthetic Series scents, great for clubbing! I remember wearing this on a couple of occasions I went to see bands in smoky cellar bars and it was just the thing: edgy, cool & sexy without trying too hard.
    Bingo! I think of skai as typical 70's. Very shiny material, a bit like lacquered leather, but much more so. You can tell it's completely fake from a mile away!

And indeed it got this very characteristic smell. No wonder the CdG's people had to made a scent in it's honor.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Good reviews, all of you guys. Skai is really fun stuff to wear. Like I've said before, it's a real attention-getter. I agree with Tigs on it being great for clubs (and parties). It's edgy but not off-putting. Instead, it's very approachable. Lots of compliments.

I got a sample of this form luckyscent, and I loved it. Question. Is there anywhere to purchase this online besides luckyscent?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Bingo! I think of skai as typical 70's. Very shiny material, a bit like lacquered leather, but much more so. You can tell it's completely fake from a mile away!

And indeed it got this very characteristic smell. No wonder the CdG's people had to made a scent in it's honor.
    Oh - so that's what Skai means. Makes sense.

I always thought it had some telecommunications origin. Don't you think Skai makes a great name for a cell phone service!?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hehehe, indeed... skai, sky, skype.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryMansions View Post
    I got a sample of this form luckyscent, and I loved it. Question. Is there anywhere to purchase this online besides luckyscent?
    Call The Perfume House in Portland, Oregon. They don't advertise it, but they can get it to you very cheaply if they still have some in their basement. Actually I'm curious what price they quote you. There have been reports of people getting them for about $30.00. See these recent threads...

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ight=synthetic
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ight=synthetic

Just Google for their phone number. Don't bother with the website - its worthless.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Btw, this is supposed to be made from skai also.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post

Hey, is this the stuff they made the stretch boots of? By stretch boots I mean those "pumps-complete-with-knee-socks" shaped monstrosities. They were wrinkly and shiny, and usually either white, red or black. All the fashion victims wore them, when I was a kid.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Yep, that's probably the same material. I had a jacket of it when I was a kid. Weird smell. Not unpleasant, just strange.

Btw, while looking for pics on google, I found out that it's still being used for lot's of things, from car seats to clothing and also that it doesn't look as fake anymore as it used to. Isn't technology great, or what?

Well I just called The Perfume House and ordered Skai and Tar. Customer service was great. I can't wait for them to get here.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryMansions View Post
    Well I just called The Perfume House and ordered Skai and Tar. Customer service was great. I can't wait for them to get here.
    I got my Tar, Garage, and Soda from them and they were awesome. The website could be better, but I've never had a more pleasant experience ordering fragrances over the phone. They really have a passion for fragrance and it shows.