Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Once you go niche, do you ever go back?

I mean that once you discover niche fragrances, will you ever go back to department store brands. I would definately have to give a resounding NO. Besides a few fragrances, I can't really go back once I've experienced the utter quality of houses like Creed, Montale, Malle, Lutens, Amouage, MPG, etc. What about...YOU? (points finger at computer screen)

Default Re: Once you go niche, do you ever go back?

YES !

I would have preferred to discover niche right from the start, because my standards would have been higher so much earlier. But it wasn't like emigrating to never come back. By the time the main public discovers that there is more than Armani and YSL have to offer, some of the niche prophets have already run out of ideas. Or they have begun to water their juices down like everybody else. And where do we draw the line? I really think I would have missed something, had I not given the Dior Homme derivates a chance! Dior Homme itself is a pretty good fragrance, worthy of being called French Lover ! I just happened to not like it very much. It is as if they made Dior Homme Cologne for people like me, though. I am so glad, I came across it by lucky accident: good as the original, but leaving a few things out, sugar mainly. I am biased against a few brands, niche and common ones - that's bad enough, but one could call it learned selectiveness, too.
    Last edited by narcus; 5th May 2008 at 12:44 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Besides a few fragrances
    So you mean yes. I would have to say yes as well.
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 5th May 2008 at 06:21 AM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Yes, I like various niche scents but still use department store scents regularly:
    Chanel; Guerlain; Gucci Pour Homme is still one of my favorites; Hanae Mori HM is
    still my favorite gourmand scent.

Niche have their place in my wardrobe, but so do mainstream scents.

Mainstream isn`t bad just for the being mainstream
    Dior, Guerlain, YSL, Chanel, Givenchy, CK etc - I try every thing that popped out on the market. Hey, you just never know

But I could add something - just think again!
    After niche scents you could go into territory of discontinued scents. Like Ungaro II, Ungaro Hombre de la Nuit, Morabito Or Black, Yohji pour homme (1999), etc...
    And all those vintages which are smelling `almost the same, but different and better`
    And all those pre-IFRA scents that include oakmoss in higher dosage, and first editions of Brut that contains nitromusks...

It`s a long-long way...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Look, I just started my new life with scents (I did use them rarely before last october). I'm starting this trip with basentoes community/database by my side and I found out one thing:
    I like GOOD scents. By this I mean I like scents with high quality ingredients. I smell everything I can lay my hands on, but once you've learned a bit to distinguish say real citrus from synthetic citrus you prefer the real one. Its like having the same cake don with butter and done using margarine: the first one stands out.

OT
    @Moon_fish: I'd give my left foot for a couple of 100ml bottles of Ungaro II...

Sur la Plage

I would say "Yes". I have niche fragrances in my wardrobe, but also enjoy "department store" fragrances from Chanel, YSL, Dior, Burberry, Gucci, Thierry Mugler, Guerlain, Prada, Hermes, etc - think they all consistently make some top quality fragrances. "Niche" doesn't always mean "better".

I base my decision on purchasing a fragrance based on how it smells, not who made it or what bottle it is in or what label is on it.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 5th May 2008 at 02:53 PM.

I can't really go back once I've experienced the utter quality of houses like Creed, Montale, Malle, Lutens, Amouage, MPG, etc. What about...YOU? (points finger at computer screen)
    It depends on the criteria one uses to to define the quality attributes.
    If one's quality criteria include
    1. Longevity, and/or
    2. Sillage, and/or
    3. The trait of eliciting a positive response from women, and/or
    4. Not getting leakage from a bottle when it's in one's bag, and/or
    5. Value for money

one will be heading back to designer scents fairly quickly.

Renato

It depends. There's the practicality factor too - buying niche scents would mean buying online, where for me the postage/package would be exorbitant and being a student, it's not that practical.

There are some fragrances which are borderline - they're not quite mainstream, but not quite niche.

Having said that, niche fragrances are great.

Sure, I sometimes buy department store frags although I must say that I buy niche far more often, mostly because they're usually more interesting and not as polite and unobtrusive. Only yesterday I bought a bottle of Eau Sauvage for my summer-citrus-spray-as-many-times-as-you-can fragrance
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I would have to say that at first when I went niche I was mentally there for a bit - though after you do some sampling, you start to realize that while the most unusual fragrances generally are form that group, there are some incredibly well put together ascents from the more mainstream houses (YSL, Chanel, Guerlain, Caron, etc. etc. etc.).

For a good general purpose cologne or male fragrance - the classic mainstreams are really hard to exceed. (I am thinking of Egoiste, Antaeus, Yatagan, Pour Un Homme, Gucci PH, and so on)
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post

There are some fragrances which are borderline - they're not quite mainstream, but not quite niche.
    I tend to enjoy these quite a bit, e.g. niche type scents made by mainstream houses, or niche houses trying to make scents that appeal to mainstream audiences.

I wish I could actually smell more 'niche' fragrances. The only place that sells them to my knowledge in Perth is Mecca Cosmetica, and its not exactly the most inviting store for a 21 year old guy. The sales assistants are also incredibly snooty! I have been getting less enthused with the 'mainstream' stuff lately though... Just about everything I own is a 'safe' / 'mainstream' fragrance :\
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I think the whole conversation ends up disappearing up it's own bottom to be honest. You have choices in life whether you choose to become an elitist snob or someone who regardless of what's on the label can recognise something that is well crafted.

I love Grey Flannel. It doesn't cost a fortune, but is a beautiful fragrance.

I refuse to disappear into the realms of snearing at the mainstream because there are some great mainstream fragrances and I think you become a fool once you can't admit nor see that because too many people know about them.

Look at Creeds for heaven's sake. Most of them are crap, in my opinion. They might have some pretty head and heart notes but then disappear before you get to really appreciate the basenotes, which you then have to search for with the nasal equivalent of a magnifying glass. Are they worth over £100.00 a bottle? No, they aren't. So yeah, if you want to impress other perfumistas, spend fortunes on them - are you getting value for money? I don't think so - not when if you are wearing them to attract women and most women's olfactory palette salivates at Joop! or JPG Le Male.

Sorry about the Creed rant, but the whole elitist thing in any sector gets on my nerves. I'm a photographer and you get bloody idiots there like Nikon snobs who will only use Nikon lenses because they believe that you can only take decent photographs with Nikon lenses. I use Nikon lenses, but some of my sharpest lenses are Tokinas. Then you get the cretins who go on about a lense having a "creamy bokeh", as if anyone is going to notice.

I will always go with what's good. And don't give a toss what's on the label, I'm frankly not that insecure.

This thread reminds me of other threads:

Is it all about the juice and only the juice? Or it the entire thing an aesthetic experience, so bottle, label, packaging, juice and so on all (unequal) parts of the entire experience?

For me, I would LIKE to think it is all about the juice. Some days I am not so sure if I am being brutally intellectually honest! I know since I started down this winding road ... it has certainly been more and more about the juice (case in point Monchoir de Monsieur - just bought - hated the name, hate the bottle, its too big (100mL), Guerlain isn't my favorite house, but "knock me over with a feather" love the juice!

I also have found that buying a "perfumed court" sampler is a good way to test things quasi-blind (working through a fig one ATM!). You get a pile of things, from houses you haven't even heard of - all in neat identical, small, vials and you are forced to evaluate the juice more on its own terms.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 5th May 2008 at 02:13 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

I hate to say it, but most niche fragrances I smell I dislike intensely. I went through a phase and purchased all the l'Artisan fragrances, and I despise all of them with the exception of one (which is now phased away). I am selling every bottle of l'Artisan I own (keep your eyes open). But on the other hand; I always go back to Chanel, or Estee Lauder; Youth-Dew, Alliage, Cinnabar, Azuree, etc, and Shalimar. For myself, niche scents are just too much, I want to smell lovely, not like a science project is occurring on my body. So yes, I have gone niche and come back, and will not venture forth so fool heartedly again.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Blog Entries

Really depends on how passionate you are about the quality/smell. Its a bit hard to overcome the snobbish factor and smelling-like-no-other that might come with a niche. But perhaps sometimes a lot of us just force ourselves to like something that much more because it is some specific brand. I remember doing a blind test with a lot of my friends with Creed GIT, Cool Water, and Carlo Corinto Rouge. And ever single one of them picked Carlo Corinto as the "best" quality. I am sure they would have forced themselves into considering Creed the best quality had they know about the prestige and price.

My best find of the last few months has been Bogart Pour Homme- that could be had for $15-20!
    Last edited by Mudassir; 5th May 2008 at 02:26 PM.

Funnily I sort of started niche and have now started exploring the classics.

I kind of like stuff that teeters on the brink between conventional and a bit weird - some departmental stuff can be a little too middle of the road, I suppose I'm particularly thinking of the shelves and shelves of fruity-floral smell-a-likes, and some niche stuff can be a little too odd. The classic houses like Caron, Chanel and Guerlain often seem to get that balance just right - I guess why offerings such as Apres L'Ondee or Cuir de Russie have stood the test of time.

My collection is probably now pretty much evenly split between niche and mainstream and I will happily continue to explore all ends of the spectrum. I suppose that exposure to different sorts of houses has helped me to develop more concrete likes and dislikes and a taste for better quality ingredients and more artful composition - but I don't think that either niche nor mainstream brands have a monopoly on those elements.

I am definitely in both camps.

So far I have explored fragrances by family and not by house. However, if I like a fragrance by a particular house I am predisposed to try others in their line.

I am not sure how my collection breaks down by niche vs. non-niche, but, in my mind, it is roughly 50-50. About 40% of my top forty are mainstream fragrances.

I have been considering exploring scents by perfumeur but want to revisit my collection before undertaking that.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 5th May 2008 at 03:07 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

I think learning about niche fragrances here on Basenotes definitely opened my eyes to a wonderful world of scents. But, niche fragrance houses (I have learned) also produce lackluster fragrances.

I have learned that my love of a scent has very little to do with who manufactures it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th May 2008 at 03:13 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Yep, I have a mix of niche and non-niche fragrances. I enjoy both groups equally.

It's sort of hard for me to tell how I break down on this.

My first answer is yes, definitly I go back. How could I be without Givenchy Gentleman? Van Clef & Arpels (PH)? Eau Sauvage? M7? Gucci Nobile? Dior's Higher? Grey Flannel?

I don't want to be without those. Yet I have a second answer. That's that I find the things I start wearing more and more come from the niche category. The things I buy from sellers on the sale board are niche, the things I'm curious about are niche, and the things I take out of the collection for consistent use--things not packed away for a move, say--are niche.

So in the first answer I certainly go for the old stuff--have to have it. I have to have all the classics from the Guerlain, Caron, Chanel houses too, but also my second answer is true too--my scent use indicates I keep seeking niche.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Yes of course.

Some of the best perfumers that have produced exceptional niche scents are often also responsible for many great mainstream releases. You would be doing yourself a great injustice in closing the door on mainstream scents for the sake of remaining exclusively dedicated to niche creations.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    [...] I use Nikon lenses, but some of my sharpest lenses are Tokinas. Then you get the cretins who go on about a lense having a "creamy bokeh", as if anyone is going to notice. [...]
    Not to mention Leica snobs! I do think photography and perfumery have a lot of parallels - I have found some of my best pictures came from a Kodak Instamatic camera! (And thats because I spent a lot of time taking pictures rather than fussing with the gear!)

I suppose parallel saying would be:

Its about the image, not the gear! Its about the juice, not anything else!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 5th May 2008 at 03:27 PM.
    ===

I'm a photographer and you get bloody idiots there like Nikon snobs who will only use Nikon lenses because they believe that you can only take decent photographs with Nikon lenses. I use Nikon lenses, but some of my sharpest lenses are Tokinas. Then you get the cretins who go on about a lense having a "creamy bokeh", as if anyone is going to notice.
    I think you are being a tad unfair on this point. I didn't know what "bokeh" was till about a year ago, and once over that hurdle, I've been trying to get a handle on "creamy bokeh". Let's face it, really expensive lenses give much better bokeh than el cheapo lenses most of the time. And when one gulps and posts pictures at Dpreview, there will be plenty of people there who can judge whether the bokeh is any good or not.

Renato

Blog Entries

This is a good thread and a good discussion.

I would have to say that I do prefer niche (depending on how you define "niche") fragrances because they smell more natural than most of the mainstream ones I've tried (I do enjoy Burberry Brit). Not that they are necessarily more natural, but they smell more natural.

The frags I've tried from Parfums de Nicolai, Acqua di Parma, all i Profumi di Firenze all have a cleaner scent life and a more rounded, complete feel to my nose. Prior to them, Jil Sander Feeling Man was the only frag I used after sampling a bunch of mainstream scents (Polo, Gray Flannel, Paco Rabanne, Calvin Kline, Cool Water) which just disagreed with me. Those frags on other men can be very nice, just not what I would wear.

But my experience is limited: 1980s power frags, then fast forward to 2008. There's plenty of department store stuff I haven't tried in between or prior to the 80s (excluding Old Spice and English Leather). But neither an I tempted to try them.

So, while not dissing the "department store" brands, currently niche frags are my preferred wardrobe because they seem to perform better with my chemistry and have a better feel to my nose.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I think you are being a tad unfair on this point. I didn't know what "bokeh" was till about a year ago, and once over that hurdle, I've been trying to get a handle on "creamy bokeh". Let's face it, really expensive lenses give much better bokeh than el cheapo lenses most of the time. And when one gulps and posts pictures at Dpreview, there will be plenty of people there who can judge whether the bokeh is any good or not.

Renato

Try this then.

Earn your living from photography, then tell me how important some obscure lens from 40 years ago is.

Most of the people who get uptight about bokeh are bloody lousy photographers - I know, I've had to put up with looking at the dross they put out.

Gents, I can open up a photography thread on Off Topic and merge these posts onto it.

Just let me know.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

My take: I'm not going to spend niche prices, so I decided to look for the "hidden gems" among the cheapos. I found things like Bogart PH, Uomo? Moschino, Horizon, etc. for next to nothing. I rotate them and I don't get bored. I still pick up eBay bargains now and then, but niche frags remind me of why I never watched Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous for more than a minute or so.

I don't even look at scents or houses as niche or mainstream. Each fragrance gets evaluated on its own merits, and I buy the ones I really like. The name on the label, the packaging, the marketing are of no consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Gents, I can open up a photography thread on Off Topic and merge these posts onto it.

Just let me know.
    Noooo!

I don't want to argue photography - because I'm right, it's my job and I know what I'm talking about.

The bottom line is this, a great photographer will produce great images with whatever he has to hand.

A great perfumier will produce great fragrances whether he is working for some niche fragrance house or a mainstream house.

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    I don't even look at scents or houses as niche or mainstream. Each fragrance gets evaluated on its own merits, and I buy the ones I really like. The name on the label, the packaging, the marketing are of no consequence.
    Seconded.

I guess I should have modified my thread a little bit more, but I guess it's a lot harder to put in a title, "Once you discover niche, do you find yourself using it much more than mainstream?" I hate the argument where people bring up the whole "snobby" factor, and it's all about the "juice." To me it isn't. It's ONLY about the juice, but I happen to believe that more often than not, niche are far superior to mainstream fragrances based on how they smell, and not by their name. Like I said before, I do enjoy a few mainstream scents, but in general find niche to be of higher quality almost always.

A bit off topic, but since there are a lot of niche people here, the question arises: what niche company (if any) offers samples at excellent prices? I remember a thread recently about Bond Street (or whatever their name is) having a good deal on samples, so I looked up the BN reviews of their frags and only one seemed to be of interest to me. Any other niche companies with similar good sample deals (I think it was called 6 for $6 or something like that)?

I guess I should have modified my thread a little bit more, but I guess it's a lot harder to put in a title, "Once you discover niche, do you find yourself using it much more than mainstream?" I hate the argument where people bring up the whole "snobby" factor, and it's all about the "juice." To me it isn't. It's ONLY about the juice, but I happen to believe that more often than not, niche are far superior to mainstream fragrances based on how they smell, and not by their name. Like I said before, I do enjoy a few mainstream scents, but in general find niche to be of higher quality almost always.
    Niche tends to be happy appealing to a small group of people, and as a consequence, they are much more adventurous (Though we are starting to see some big houses try to emulate this in "Private/Prive/Exclusiv/etc" lines) which opens them to unusual or unexpected successes, as well as big flops.

Head to head, I would say the niche perfumes are really uneven in quality but have great novelty compared to the major houses.

Eventually, I think we'll see the big houses react more fully to the niche phenomenon.
    ===

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    A bit off topic, but since there are a lot of niche people here, the question arises: what niche company (if any) offers samples at excellent prices? I remember a thread recently about Bond Street (or whatever their name is) having a good deal on samples, so I looked up the BN reviews of their frags and only one seemed to be of interest to me. Any other niche companies with similar good sample deals (I think it was called 6 for $6 or something like that)?
    L'Artisan allows you to pick 5 samples for $7 from a list they update. Right now they have >10 the sample choice so you can pick many out. This is on the US website anyway.
    ===

Okay, I took a look at the site. Are there any that you'd consider must haves ? And are there any to avoid? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Thank you for the tip, Bromo.

From what other BNers have posted on L'Artisans frags, I ordered these samples:

Ananas Fizz
    Dzing!
    Fou d'Absinthe
    L'Eau de L'Artisan
    Mechant Loup

Many of them sound nice, but these (except for maybe Dzing!) piqued my curiosity and would fit in my summer wardrobe. The ambers sounded great, too. But too warm now for those.
    Last edited by Hoos; 5th May 2008 at 07:23 PM.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

To elaborate - I agree with bromo in that niche houses tend to take more "risks" because they don't care about getting 10 million sales per year.

Not all, but many of them are higher quality because their perfumers tend to be fanatical (for lack of a better word) about fragrance; they use higher quality ingredients, they do things that smell good rather than things that will make the most money. They also tend to be more expensive.

I do find that I "value" my niche frags more than my mainstream ones, but I still wear the mainstream ones quite often (for everyday use). I wear niche fragrances for special occasion or when I want to smell like no one else in the room.

You'll also find that a lot of mainstream fragrances "copy" some niche frags (although their designers would say that they were "inspired" by them). Some are pretty good, but most don't smell as "good" or "natural" as the original, which is why I tend to go for niche frags over their mainstream counterparts.

The example that comes to mind is Creed's "Millesime Imperial" versus Sean John's "Unforgivable." While the latter is pretty much a dead-on copy of the former at first sniff, there is just *something* about Unforgivable that I dislike - could it be psychological? Quite possibly, but regardless of the cause, I feel like the Sean John smells "cheap" next to the Creed.

I can easily imagine Sean John wearing MI and one day deciding that he wants to copy it and market it as his own scent, all the while feeling like it will be a success because of his name. The king of remixes just does what he knows, after all. [Someone please tell this man that no one wants to see him in commercials with his shirt off!]

Diatribe over.

BTW - the snob appeal is real for some people, and non-existent for others. For me, it's all about the scent (and the bottle!) - if someone asks what I'm wearing I tell them, I don't care if it's a Pharmacy Cologne or a super-expensive frag that only be obtained with a résumé. Nor do I care if they know which it is - it smells good and that's all there is to it.

P.S. I wasn't kidding - if anyone here knows someone who knows someone, please tell P. Diddy that no one wants to see him in commercials without a shirt, it just makes him seem like an egomaniac and probably hurts his sales more than it helps.
    Last edited by baudilus; 5th May 2008 at 08:02 PM.

I'm right, it's my job and I know what I'm talking about.

The bottom line is this, a great photographer will produce great images with whatever he has to hand.

A great perfumier will produce great fragrances whether he is working for some niche fragrance house or a mainstream house.
    The statement on top made me smile a bit. And the rest is oh so true as well.

Both mainstream and niche scents work for me -- doesn't really matter that much as both sides have their fair share of stuff I like/love. Theoretically, I would believe that niche frags would be more unique and "soulful" because perfumers get more "creative space" than they would have if they were to create a scent for a mainstream mass-market brand -- where a lot of the work are restricted by "market researches" and "what the big guys up there think people want." However, I find there are many recent creative designer scents. Antidote and Fleur du Male to name a few. --- and that there are some boring or even disastrous niche offering. (a lot of the Creeds bore me)

I've just about started treading into Niche territory.. but yes I'd definitely go back to teh department store/designer frags.. I love my Burberry's .. the occassional cK's etc

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I started out in niche. I find that many of the popular mainstream fragrances smell awkward, although I haven't smelled many.

Pour Monsieur, Antaeus, Egoiste, M7, Heritage, Derby, Habit Rouge, Mitsouko, Jicky, Givenchy Gentleman, VCA, Knize Ten, Havana, 900, JHL, Equipage, Bel Ami, Eau de Hermes. I love them all and could not be without them. Similarly, I wouldn't want to be without New York, Tam Dao, Philosykos, Mechant Loup, Dzing, L'Homme Sage, Yerbamate, Idole, Chergui, etc. Niche or designer doesn't matter, the debate can't sufficiently be settled anyhow. All that matters is the quality inside the bottle. Everthing else is a secondary consideration if the perfume is trancendent.

Most of my faves are niche, but I won't turn my nose up at designer frags...

I think the only thing that keeps me away from most of the designer stuff is that everyone out there is likely wearing it, with niche the chances of me crossing paths with someone wearing the same scent is slim.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

For me it's not so much the house that matters, it's the scent. If I like the scent I'll get it; I don't really care it's a Creed or a Hugo Boss.

It just happens that most of the frags that appeal to me come frome niche houses and the only designer ones I seem to like are ones that are decades old.

Blog Entries

I've found that a lot of designer fragrances just smell so similar as to be completely uninteresting. That pretty much never happens with niche fragrances. I may hate something by L'Artisan or Montale, but at least neither of them smell nearly identical to the last 3 Hugo Boss/Calvin Klein releases. Basically, I think it's harder to find really good, really distinctive scents among the designer lines - but it can happen.

No,No,and No again. I can't believe that this even comes from Fragrance Lovers. To limit yourself to just Niche scents is so boring. There are very nice mainstream scents.....and I will never give them up. I have my fair share of Niche scents and yes they are fantastic fragrances.....and I have also smelled some well loved Niche scents that are some of the worst I have ever smelled.
    I want to have a good balance of both.
    Gary

For more recent fragrances, I prefer niche. But the big picture proves, that a masterpiece is a master piece no matter who produced it.

i dont have niche...except for creed, serge lutens, Costes and CdG...and by no means i feel i wudnt go back to my LUI, Baldessarini, Euphoria, Givenchy and Agua fresca for gods sake!!!

To answer the thread title, most deginately yes. I never thought I would but after being submerged into niche for a substantial amount of time, I began to long for overlooked gems of my past. Also, casual obervation by passing strangers lead to some fabulous non-niche discoveries.

hmmm......I do both and probably always will.....however I would say I havent smelled anything new from a designer house that moved me like something from a niche line.....

the quality and the refined character and depth of specific niche fragrances just can not be matched by a designer scent.....I.E Musc Ravageur or Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maolo View Post
    Look, I just started my new life with scents (I did use them rarely before last october). I'm starting this trip with basentoes community/database by my side and I found out one thing:
    I like GOOD scents. By this I mean I like scents with high quality ingredients. I smell everything I can lay my hands on, but once you've learned a bit to distinguish say real citrus from synthetic citrus you prefer the real one. Its like having the same cake don with butter and done using margarine: the first one stands out.

OT
    @Moon_fish: I'd give my left foot for a couple of 100ml bottles of Ungaro II...
    Maolo,
    just have a look in Basenotes Marketplace (Trade, Swap, Sell) and save your left foot!
    Your Motherland will need you on Euro-2008! ))
    Vetiver The Great!!!

The question perhaps poses a false dilemma. One doesn't have to choose between going forward (towards niche fragrances) or backwards (towards mainstream fragrances). The question suggests that these fragrances reside in opposite spaces. They may, in some sense. But in a basic sense, they are all fragrances, and should all be explored as such. The key is to train one's nose to sniff out the most appropriate fragrances for one's particular tastes, disposition and circumstances.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

I went and induldged my self during the Montale craze, wasn't overly impressed, and sold every single bottle I purchased. I haven't bought a bottle of cologne since November now, and I'm not particularly missing the excitement, especially with all of the other financial commitments I have right now

Banned

All my interest is mainly niche, and I find myself going to niche fragrances in my wardrobe much more.

So for me, at this time, I don't plan on going back. (unless there is some new release everyone is raving about.. lol)
    Last edited by teger; 6th May 2008 at 12:55 PM.

[...] moved to new thread.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 6th May 2008 at 04:47 PM.
    ===

NO.

Once I hit like 60-70 frags, more than half of which were designer. I knew I had to cut down to 30 frags and sell the rest. I call it "The Great Purge." The only designer scents to come out alive were Clinique Happy, Versace Dreamer, Gaultier2, L'eau D'issey, and Very Sexy; the rest remaining are all niche.

Pretty much, I realized that I didn't need most of the designer scents, as I had a niche equivalent that was better. Mugler Cologne got replaced with Original Vetiver, Acqua di Gio with Amouage Arcus, M7 with Black Aoud, Versace Man Eau Fraiche with Soleil de Capri, Heritage with Bois du Portugal, RL Purple Label with Bleecker Street, Cool Water with Green Irish Tweed, Unforgivable Multi Platinum with Millesime Imperial, XS with Himalaya, and Body Kouros with Penhaligon's Endymion.

In general, they're just better quality. You get what you pay for, as long as you choose the right house, that is. I don't see any reason or need to go back to men's designer frags, because 99% that I've smelled have utterly disappointed me. Women's designer frags are another story, and there are plenty of really good ones that I've smelled, and plenty of pretty awful women's niche frags that I've smelled (Creed should stick to Men's and Unisex scents...)
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    In general, they're just better quality. You get what you pay for, as long as you choose the right house, that is. I don't see any reason or need to go back to men's designer frags, because 99% that I've smelled have utterly disappointed me. Women's designer frags are another story, and there are plenty of really good ones that I've smelled, and plenty of pretty awful women's niche frags that I've smelled (Creed should stick to Men's and Unisex scents...)
    Wow - I hadn't thought of that before, that way! But - you are right. There are a few really good men's "designer" frags, the rest aren't very good aside from the classics that have stood the test of time (provided they haven't been killed in a reformulation). And the niche tend to be better thought out - or at least tend to be distinctive. I am finding a weakness for some classics, but:

I think Caron Yatagan could easily be replaced by Mazzolari Mazzolari to add to your list!
    ===

Most designer scents don't have a perfect analog. It is silly to say that M7 is merely Black Aoud with inferior ingredients. They are formulated differently, emphasize different notes, and yes, use different ingredients. They are different scents and both should be judged on their own merit regardless of whether they fit into the same genre or not.

Look, if you want to compare the niche/designer distinction to something, compare it to inexpensive/expensive restauraunts. There is an inexpensive Mexican place (not fast Mex food mind you) in San Diego that has food to die for. Sure the meat there is less lean that at a high end Mexican joint, but they know how to season and use that extra fat in a way that produces the best chile colorado that I've ever tasted. With "better" ingredients, it just wouldn't be the same.

With subjective things such as taste or scent, you don't always get what you pay for.

Definitely for me.

I've been going back and forth a lot lately. There are just too many well made fragrances from the designer houses (especially if you include the "classics") to just avoid them and think they're not "you". You'd be missing out on quite a bit IMO. Its a great way to train the nose too.