Code of Conduct

Default Creed Royal Water annoyance.

You may recollect that in my thread "Comments on Three Creeds I tried today" I wrote,
    "Royal Water - Pretty good. It reminds me of a toned down version of Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme. It has decent lasting power."
    It certainly seemed okay to me, and I couldn't really understand one comment in the Reviews along the lines of - use this if you want to smell like a dame.

So as Royal Water was on sale at Strawberrynet for A$99, less my two discounts, I ordered a big bottle, which arrived today. Well, whatever it is, it doesn't smell like what I tested in the store that day. This one is obviously a very elegant and very well made scent, but reminds me of the women's version of Ferre's GFF rather than the men's version of Ferragamo.

I'm trying to figure out what happened. Did the woman in the store grab "Royal" something else (Delight?) and spray me with it in leiu of Royal Water? Or does Royal Water just vary a lot?

Anyhow, my wife got a big bottle of Chanel No.5 last weekend. Next weekend she'll get a big bottle of Creed Royal Water.
    Renato

Default Re: Creed Royal Water annoyance.

Royal Water is another on of the Creeds that is very "batch" specific for me. I have owned a 1oz. bottle and had three other official Creed, carded samples and all have differed greatly.

Two of the samples were heavy on the cumin, one more so than the other, one of the samples was almost completely citrus that faded very quickly and the bottle,(thankfully) was a nice, integrated mix of supposedly all that Royal Water is but it seemed to really lean toward the feminine side of unisex where all three of my samples seemed more masculine to me.

I appreciate the natural ingredient factor, the "millesime" idea but I find it too frustrating to deal with these inconsistencies on a regular basis.
    I hope your wife enjoys the Royal Water!

I think it may be the repeated exposure for this one, Renato. It took me a few tries to uncover just how annoying I find Royal Water. Its the florals. There is just something irritating and feminine about them for me but it grew with each time I tried, at first I quite liked it.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I have been eyeing a tester that's for sale at a store near me... to pick or not to pick.. ahh!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Royal Water does lean toward the feminine side, but I feel I pull it off very well. A couple of days of scruff on the face, coupled with a modern slim suit, two or three buttons unfastened on the shirt and you'll get nothing but positive reactions. It took me some getting used to, but I'm glad I stayed with it. Now, with my dry skin, lasting power is just ok, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Royal Water is another on of the Creeds that is very "batch" specific for me. I have owned a 1oz. bottle and had three other official Creed, carded samples and all have differed greatly.

Two of the samples were heavy on the cumin, one more so than the other, one of the samples was almost completely citrus that faded very quickly and the bottle,(thankfully) was a nice, integrated mix of supposedly all that Royal Water is but it seemed to really lean toward the feminine side of unisex where all three of my samples seemed more masculine to me.

I appreciate the natural ingredient factor, the "millesime" idea but I find it too frustrating to deal with these inconsistencies on a regular basis.
    I hope your wife enjoys the Royal Water!
    Thanks very much for that info.

I don't know what cumin smells like. The sample I tested from the tester bottle contained a note that I at first thought was fig leaf (hence the association with Ferragamo) but which later I wasn't sure if it really was fig leaf. Is cumin anything like that?

Also the sample from the tester lasted a fair bit longer than that from the new bottle.

Sure is frustrating.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I think it may be the repeated exposure for this one, Renato. It took me a few tries to uncover just how annoying I find Royal Water. Its the florals. There is just something irritating and feminine about them for me but it grew with each time I tried, at first I quite liked it.
    But I only tested it one time only three weeks ago.
    What I know have is what you describe.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    I have been eyeing a tester that's for sale at a store near me... to pick or not to pick.. ahh!
    Don't buy unless you can test the tester!.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by mmaximus View Post
    Royal Water does lean toward the feminine side, but I feel I pull it off very well. A couple of days of scruff on the face, coupled with a modern slim suit, two or three buttons unfastened on the shirt and you'll get nothing but positive reactions. It took me some getting used to, but I'm glad I stayed with it. Now, with my dry skin, lasting power is just ok, but oh well.
    Thanks for letting me know how you've dealt with it.
    But Creed list this scent in their Men's section (as well as in their women's). Strawberrynet listed it in their Male Fragrance section.

Quite frankly - should you or I really be having to consider how to pull it off (or even whether it can even be pulled off)? If I buy a scent listed as Male, then that is pretty much a given - no consideration necessary.

I feel a bit gypped here.
    Renato

Royal Water is one of my favorite Creeds. I only have experience with my bottle, so I cannot comment on batch variation.

I have no problem at all wearing it, feel good wearing it, and to my nose, it smells more masculine than feminine. It never occured to me that it wasn't suitable for a man to wear. I find that it performs wonderfully in the very hot climate here.

Based on this thread as well as others it does sound like Royal Water is one of the least liked Creeds and that there very well may be batch to batch variation. So I'm probably in the minority of Basenoters in being a fan ot it. I don't get any cumin from it and find that the florals are quite tempered.

noggs

All batches of RW that I have tested were consitent in character. I tend to think RW leans to the Masculine side- - untill the drydown that is. The peppermint is so wonderful in a many way but the floral drydown reminds me of something geriatric and remains to be the impeding factor of my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Royal Water is one of my favorite Creeds. I only have experience with my bottle, so I cannot comment on batch variation.

I have no problem at all wearing it, feel good wearing it, and to my nose, it smells more masculine than feminine. It never occured to me that it wasn't suitable for a man to wear.

noggs
    That's what's so odd about this. That Creed thinks that Royal Water is suitable for a man to wear, whereas, based on at least some of what it produces, even some of its fans of it think it is feminine.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    All batches of RW that I have tested were consitent in character. I tend to think RW leans to the Masculine side- - untill the drydown that is. The peppermint is so wonderful in a many way but the floral drydown reminds me of something geriatric and remains to be the impeding factor of my purchase.
    I'll have to go back to the shop and test their "masculine" tester version of this scent.
    Geriatric floral drydown? In their supposedly new modern scent for Royalty - interesting perception.
    Renato

It's a masculine... If you consider Elton John to be masculine.

Creed lists Royal Water as unisex.

I can accept that, but I do think it would work better on a woman.

I think it is okay, but nothing I will ever buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Yeah, it's certainly listed as a unisex but that's kinda after they tell you it was made for/ to celebrate Princess Diana's life. ???????????????????
    I guess it'll work differently on different skin.

Blog Entries

While there are frags that people will smell and go "oh that's definitely a man's/woman's fragrance", there's a whole bunch that fall firmly in the middle. Male and female in fragrance is so subjective and more a matter of perception than anything.

If the frag works on you and you like it, use it. If not, don't. I wouldn't stop wearing a scent I like just because some website said it's for a woman (or a man, for that matter). One of my iPdiF scents is listed as both masculine and feminine on a bunch of different sites, including iPdiF's site - not unisex, but the different sites list it as either masculine or feminine.

I don't care for feminine scents on me, this scent doesn't strike me as feminine, and no one has come up and said "Oooooh baby, you smell so girly". So I don't care.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I think it's very unisex - women complain that it's too masculine and men complain the opposite!

About liking it once and not liking it later - I have a carded sample and a bottle, and they smell very different. The sample is missing most of the sharp and bright topnotes, and is much more "ambre-greasy" than the bottle. If I would have tried the sample before buying, I never ever would have bought the bottle, yet the bottle itself smells wonderful. The drydown is the best part - like many creeds it "glows" when it dries down. It's not an outlandish or super original fragrance, but to me anyway it's just wonderful.

You may have tried different batches or something.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    He's okay by me - he must be, he married a woman named Renata in Australia many years ago.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Creed lists Royal Water as unisex.

I can accept that, but I do think it would work better on a woman.

I think it is okay, but nothing I will ever buy.
    I think we're on the same wavelength.
    Except that I bought it.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    If the frag works on you and you like it, use it. If not, don't. I wouldn't stop wearing a scent I like just because some website said it's for a woman (or a man, for that matter). One of my iPdiF scents is listed as both masculine and feminine on a bunch of different sites, including iPdiF's site - not unisex, but the different sites list it as either masculine or feminine.

I don't care for feminine scents on me, this scent doesn't strike me as feminine, and no one has come up and said "Oooooh baby, you smell so girly". So I don't care.
    I can't argue with that. In fact, I wear the men's GFF which I always consider a bit suspect in the masculinity department - but I like it.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I think it's very unisex - women complain that it's too masculine and men complain the opposite!

About liking it once and not liking it later - I have a carded sample and a bottle, and they smell very different. The sample is missing most of the sharp and bright topnotes, and is much more "ambre-greasy" than the bottle. If I would have tried the sample before buying, I never ever would have bought the bottle, yet the bottle itself smells wonderful. The drydown is the best part - like many creeds it "glows" when it dries down. It's not an outlandish or super original fragrance, but to me anyway it's just wonderful.

You may have tried different batches or something.
    Thanks. Oddly enough I quite like the beginning citrusy bit which disappears in the dry down.
    We all seem to have very different perceptions of this scent. I wonder what Turin would have made of it?
    Renato

Hi Everyone,
    Well I went to the shop again, where they had a brand new tester bottle, which I sprayed on my arm.
    This time it was exactly the same scent as that which I bought.

Beats me what's been going on.
    Renato

I just bought a bottle off imaginationperfumery and to me it smells "unisex," which means too masculine. It's really beautiful and well blended, but I don't care for those types of scents *on me* and the notes really suit one of my brothers, so it's going in the mail.

So far, I have not enjoyed any of the unisex scents other ladies have been posting and raving about. I have to layer them with florals for wearability and have not found an exception to that. Since I like light fragrances, I often end up trying yet another to see if I like it any better, but I always come to the same conclusion. Wouldn't mind sitting next to a man with it on. Same with this, really nice.

(Everything seems to check out, as far as this being authentic, but the slip of literature on the inside is in Arabic and there is no date stamp. Just wanted to point that out for reference.)
    Last edited by beachroses; 8th May 2008 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I just bought a bottle off imaginationperfumery and to me it smells "unisex," which means too masculine. It's really beautiful and well blended, but I don't care for those types of scents *on me* and the notes really suit one of my brothers, so it's going in the mail.

So far, I have not enjoyed any of the unisex scents other ladies have been posting and raving about. I have to layer them with florals for wearability and have not found an exception to that. Since I like light fragrances, I often end up trying yet another to see if I like it any better, but I always come to the same conclusion. Wouldn't mind sitting next to a man with it on. Same with this, really nice.

(Everything seems to check out, as far as this being authentic, but the slip of literature on the inside is in Arabic and there is no date stamp. Just wanted to point that out for reference.)
    Don't forget, there are two basic styles of unisex scents around at the moment.

The first is the old style, like for example, Versace Time To Relax, Paco, Royal Delight and arguably Eau de Hadrian. These usually have some citrus in them, and are either devoid of woods and florals, or have them there, but very subdued.

The newer style is exemplified by the niche houses where they put in great big dollops of woods and flowers and other components most often associated as being either masculine or feminine, and then they call them unisex, because they're in near equal parts.

I think this latter category is what you probably don't like, although I can't say I was greatly enamoured of the older style either - they smelled okay, but always seemed to lack bite.
    Renato

I have completely changed my mind, after testing this in hotter weather. I don't detect any florals in it that some of you refer to, and it still smells like it would be great on a man, but I am addicted. Glad I didn't send my bottle off, haha!! I usually hate musk, too, but this seems natural and when it dries down, my skin smells so clean I can't believe it... even after helping my husband all day on a hot construction site. I wish I had sprayed it all over that day. Keeping this for myself and wanting to try more, now!

Have also seen a lot of men say Royal Water is too feminine and women say it's too masculine. This bottle I have would suit both, but I think it leans toward the masculine side, especially in the beginning and middle. I got it at imaginationperfumery, but like I said, the insert was in all Arabic. I can smell the notes and it seems real to me. The printing on the box tends to fade out toward the bottom, but everything is spelled correctly and the cap has that authentic plastic insert. The cardboard box is textured, very sturdy and it is definitely the real frosted glass bottle. fyi

It's mine, all mine, I'll have to send my bro a sample and let him decide if he wants one, too. He'd probably like Selection Verte better, anyway. He can buy what he wants for himself.

I don't understand this Arabic grey market stuff, but I imagine this bottle was meant for them. Is something wrong with that? Not sure, but I like it, so there.

And this wasn't too expensive the way I bought it, considering how much everything else costs these days. I am being very selective in what I'll purchase and keep for myself, now, because of it. The samples I got for my family were a big hit, too. Sister loves Himalaya, of all things.

Has anyone tried purchasing Creed off beautyencounter (formerly known as perfumebay?) I read SoCalWoman got a fake off there, was wondering if anyone else did. They are the only discount place I can find for Bois de Cedrat, another winner in my book. Not that complicated of a scent, but I like the natural smell of the lemon and it doesn't remind me of furniture polish.

Glad it's working out for you - as a construction site scent even!
    Have you had any odd feline occurence when wearing this scent yet (Check out my Cat Loves Royal Water thread).
    Cheers,
    Renato