Code of Conduct

Default Does your sense of smell get more sensitive over time?

I realize that newbies will have problems recognizing notes, as I have, but now I feel there is something else that is improving, not just a better understanding of what I'm smelling. I now can appreciate the more subtle frags I own, such as the ones by Samba, especially Kiss for men. And I appreciate the drydown more. In fact, I am now holding my breath and walking forward after spraying, particularly with certain frags (like Jacomo Rouge) so as not to get too much of the initial blast, to avoid calibrating the scent as too strong relative to the drydown. Have others experienced this? Is this common? It seems as though I can't deal with more than one spray of many frags, as that now seems so overpowering as to be nearly painful, and possibly headache producers.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Does your sense of smell get more sensitive over time?

Actually, my sense of smell is getting worse, I think, but that's cos I'm getting older and rundown. (It's kinda fun to go downhill real fast now that's I'm over the hill. :bounce:What has happened over time is that I'm more sensitive to some synthetics and those do bring on colossal splitting headaches. To naturals though I have some allergies and I break out in hives and sneezing fits. Isn't life fun!

I think that your sense of smell diminishes over time but your ability to recognize notes and breakdown a scent to its ingredients will improve. Nose fatigue will take its toll on your olfacotry spledor, that is the wonderful world of fragrances.

I now spray less than I used to out of recognition that I used to spray on the boarderline of an overpowering amount so I play it safe. I don't think I notice it any less though. In fact, I notice more peoples smells, and smells in general, because of the practice and the years of learning what goes into the different creations.

I wouldn't say I'm better at smelling, just more aware of what I am smelling...

Not really.. as I gather experience and knowledge, my ability to break down the scent into top/mid and base notes does improve though.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    ...I wouldn't say I'm better at smelling, just more aware of what I am smelling...
    I'm with him.

When I took singing and keyboard lessons and learned to read music, I heard music better.

When I became a painter, I saw more in the world and in the art it produced.
    Like that.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Yes, I get more aware of what I'm smelling.