Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm getting married! What scent do I wear?

I was thinking something serious like Tabarome Vintage or Derby to commemorate the serious occasion, but don't I also need something with some romance or joy in it? Don't have a clue about that.

Default Re: I'm getting married! What scent do I wear?

Do you have anything that smells like a ball and chain? Kidding, my friend--a poor joke. Ok, seriously, you may want to tell us what you have available in your wardrobe. I don't want to suggest something that you do not have access to.

i think that when i get married i will want something that mkes me smell great even with me being hot under the collar!!! Therefore, i will sport something like Bulgari pour homme or gendarme, maybe clean men....but thats just me.

If you want something kind of whimsical and romantic, try LeDandy by D'Orsay.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

If I were you I'd consider:
    -Aramis Always (it's underrated I think. I catch a romantic feel in it, which is soft, subtle, yet long lasting)
    -Tea for Two
    -Fred Hayman Touch with Love
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Since you'll undoubtedly be surrounded by masses of flowers and vats of perfume, and you don't really want to clash with either, you might consider Le 3eme Homme by Caron -- it's a lightly floral men's fragrance that starts off crisp and clean, like citrus flowers, but balanced with a whiff of smoke. It has a classy presence without being heavy or overbearing, and it dries down rather quickly into a nice, smooth musk. Your wife-to-be will think you're a hero for not wearing something that smells like burned rubbber or a hay loft.

"Happy", of course.

Actually, I don't even know what "Happy" smells like, but the superstitious part of me thinks whatever you wear absolutely shouldn't conjure the wrong things, even verbally. I mean, who wants to say they wore "Envy" on their wedding day? Or, you know, "Addict" or (god forbid) "Delicious Closet Queen" by Etat Libre d'Orange?

Because remember, whatever you end up wearing, you're going to end up having to tell people later.

Oh, and congratulations! Good luck!

Congratulations Buddy!!

i wore the Baldessarini Concentree for my wedding and engagement...i had 4-5 frgrances at tht point in time...now i have 35+ and still i would wear the same scent...i think its just a classic and it smells the way a gentleman should smell in a important occasion...but hey..tht just me...you are talkin about derby! i knw it s a calssic, never had the fortune of sniffin tht one...but i knw its one of the most respected release ever..

I say Hermès Equipage. Grand, fantastic, and unforgetable.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Being a single man, I will nonetheless suggest a few of my favorites that
    you and the fiancee may want to instigate. [Make sure that whatever
    you wear is something she loves.]

Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955, not the Concentree version) [a little bit tough to find in the USA]
    New York, by Parfums de Nicolai
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Stardust for Men [available on Ebay]
    Vintage Tabarome [applied lightly]

Congratulations!
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 6th May 2008 at 08:46 AM.

Have you considered wearing no fragrance? She loves you and she probably loves your smell. I imagine that in the swirl, all the venue-changing and the exhausted smile muscles and last minute anxieties about whether the frosting will suck and where the hell is the photographer, she might prefer to smell just you.
    But then I love what you say about a perfume that expresses your joy. I will think about that. Apres l'Ondee is one. But a joyous masculine? What do others think?

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955, not the Concentree version) [a little bit tough to find in the USA]
    You can't go wrong with either of those. I'd give the Concentree version a try, personally.

Here's wishing you a happy married life
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

I'd also suggest you to try AdP Colonia Assoluta: elegant, joyful yet masculine

Blog Entries

Wear whatever she wants. If she wants nothing, wear nothing. If she wants the fragrance you wore on your first date, no matter how bland you find it, wear that. But remember that, for the rest of your life, you're going to associate this chosen scent with your wedding day. It might be an opportunity to create a new scent memory with one of your all-time favourite frags.

Sur la Plage

Creed Bois du Portugal
    Guerlain Heritage

Congratulations!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 6th May 2008 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan214 View Post
    Since you'll undoubtedly be surrounded by masses of flowers and vats of perfume, and you don't really want to clash with either, you might consider Le 3eme Homme by Caron -- it's a lightly floral men's fragrance that starts off crisp and clean, like citrus flowers, but balanced with a whiff of smoke. It has a classy presence without being heavy or overbearing, and it dries down rather quickly into a nice, smooth musk. Your wife-to-be will think you're a hero for not wearing something that smells like burned rubbber or a hay loft.
    Actually, I felt that Le 3eme Homme made me smell like I smoke - which I did not like. It smelled like cigarettes and musk. Definitely an 80s type of scent, and recognizable as such.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    "Happy", of course.

Actually, I don't even know what "Happy" smells like, but the superstitious part of me thinks whatever you wear absolutely shouldn't conjure the wrong things, even verbally. I mean, who wants to say they wore "Envy" on their wedding day? Or, you know, "Addict" or (god forbid) "Delicious Closet Queen" by Etat Libre d'Orange?

Because remember, whatever you end up wearing, you're going to end up having to tell people later.

Happy does make you feel happy when you smell it, so it's a good choice, but you may need to keep reapplying, as it doesn't last long at all - only 6-8 hours on me (that may sound like a long time, but I generally get 12 or more hours out of a good frag).

If I were to suggest something, I would need to know what you like, what she likes, and what the weather will be like. Without knowing any of those, I think Creed's Himalaya is a good all-around frag, and very masculine without being overly "macho."

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    Wear whatever she wants. If she wants nothing, wear nothing. If she wants the fragrance you wore on your first date, no matter how bland you find it, wear that. But remember that, for the rest of your life, you're going to associate this chosen scent with your wedding day. It might be an opportunity to create a new scent memory with one of your all-time favourite frags.
    I second kopah's remarks on this one.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Kopah is so right that it will be a scent memory forever. I wore Dunhill For Men (1934) and I am forever reminded of that great day every time I smell it.

Your two choices - Vintage Tabarome and Derby - are wonderful scents befitting such an occasion. They are very serious scents, and for me, may lack a little bit of sexiness (this depends on you and your wife to be, if she goes crazy over one of them, you have your answer so read no further).

For me, classics with a bit more sexiness include:

Bois du Portugal
    Chanel PM Concentree (yes for me I think it has the best of both worlds, the citrus chypre structure of the original with a long lasting sexy oriental base)
    Caron Third Man (I agree with Nathan)
    YSL Rive Gauche PH

It also depends on likely weather, formality, what's already in your wardrobe etc etc

Having said all that, I want to emphasise that the two choices you've already made are REALLY REALLY good, so if she and you like one of those, go with your original impression.

Have a great day and let us know what you went for!

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

If I were to get married to my current girlfriend, I'd have to go the fragrance that reminds me most of her - the one she sprays on her pillow when she can't sleep at night - the one that every time I wear it, she melts into me. Hopefully you have something like that.
    P.S. In my case, its Joop! Nightflight. Not the most romantic or formal fragrance by any means, but she loves it, and I quite enjoy it myself!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Congratulations! And, wow - thats an interesting choice - there is no lack of things to try.

While I can't tell you what would be good ovcer and above these guys, I would suggest you NOT wear Yatagan!
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Absolutely everything Nathan214 says is correct. Considering your environment is extremely important. Whether you select Le 3eme Homme isn't important, but I think it should be in the same category as Le 3eme Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Do you have anything that smells like a ball and chain? Kidding, my friend--a poor joke. Ok, seriously, you may want to tell us what you have available in your wardrobe. I don't want to suggest something that you do not have access to.
    Funny! Rust comes to mind.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    "Happy", of course.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Congratulations Buddy!!

i wore the Baldessarini Concentree for my wedding and engagement...i had 4-5 frgrances at tht point in time...now i have 35+ and still i would wear the same scent...i think its just a classic and it smells the way a gentleman should smell in a important occasion...but hey..tht just me...you are talkin about derby! i knw it s a calssic, never had the fortune of sniffin tht one...but i knw its one of the most respected release ever..
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I say Hermès Equipage. Grand, fantastic, and unforgetable.
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    Being a single man, I will nonetheless suggest a few of my favorites that
    you and the fiancee may want to instigate. [Make sure that whatever
    you wear is something she loves.]

New York, by Parfums de Nicolai
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Stardust for Men [available on Ebay]
    Vintage Tabarome [applied lightly]

Congratulations!
    Thank you and thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Have you considered wearing no fragrance? She loves you and she probably loves your smell. I imagine that in the swirl, all the venue-changing and the exhausted smile muscles and last minute anxieties about whether the frosting will suck and where the hell is the photographer, she might prefer to smell just you.
    But then I love what you say about a perfume that expresses your joy. I will think about that. Apres l'Ondee is one. But a joyous masculine? What do others think?

Quote Originally Posted by uli View Post
    You can't go wrong with either of those. I'd give the Concentree version a try, personally.

Here's wishing you a happy married life

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    I'd also suggest you to try AdP Colonia Assoluta: elegant, joyful yet masculine

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Guerlain Heritage

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    Actually, I felt that Le 3eme Homme made me smell like I smoke - which I did not like. It smelled like cigarettes and musk. Definitely an 80s type of scent, and recognizable as such.

Happy does make you feel happy when you smell it, so it's a good choice, but you may need to keep reapplying, as it doesn't last long at all - only 6-8 hours on me (that may sound like a long time, but I generally get 12 or more hours out of a good frag).

If I were to suggest something, I would need to know what you like, what she likes, and what the weather will be like. Without knowing any of those, I think Creed's Himalaya is a good all-around frag, and very masculine without being overly "macho."

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Kopah is so right that it will be a scent memory forever. I wore Dunhill For Men (1934) and I am forever reminded of that great day every time I smell it.

Your two choices - Vintage Tabarome and Derby - are wonderful scents befitting such an occasion. They are very serious scents, and for me, may lack a little bit of sexiness (this depends on you and your wife to be, if she goes crazy over one of them, you have your answer so read no further).

For me, classics with a bit more sexiness include:

Bois du Portugal
    Chanel PM Concentree (yes for me I think it has the best of both worlds, the citrus chypre structure of the original with a long lasting sexy oriental base)
    Caron Third Man (I agree with Nathan)
    YSL Rive Gauche PH

It also depends on likely weather, formality, what's already in your wardrobe etc etc

Having said all that, I want to emphasise that the two choices you've already made are REALLY REALLY good, so if she and you like one of those, go with your original impression.

Have a great day and let us know what you went for!

Ged
    Thanks for the suggestions. Your layerings are interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    Congratulations! And, wow - thats an interesting choice - there is no lack of things to try.

While I can't tell you what would be good ovcer and above these guys, I would suggest you NOT wear Yatagan!
    Knowing what not to wear is just as important.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Absolutely everything Nathan214 says is correct. Considering your environment is extremely important. Whether you select Le 3eme Homme isn't important, but I think it should be in the same category as Le 3eme Homme.
    Thanks for the advice.

I wore Creed Imperial...

It's a day when you commit to each other for life, for a life lived in partnership... I am assuming you chose rings together and planned other things together, so my advice would be, if the fragrance is important to you both, to choose fragrances together. I don' think the fragrance needs to be momentous or happy or joyful - just something you both enjoy smelling on each other and which gives you another wonderful memory of the occasion.

Congratulations and best wishes.

Caron Pour Un Homme is classic and smells very clean.. Habit Rouge also comes to mind..
    Congratulations!
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Buberry London
    Prada PH
    Salvatore Ferragamo
    Antaeus
    Egoiste
    Rochas Lui
    Lanvin Arpege
    and anything you like really.

Héritage by Guerlain (edt or edp)
    Rochas Lui by Rochas
    Bois de Portugal by Creed
    New York by Parfums de Nicolaï
    Nicolaï pour Homme by Parfums de Nicolaï
    JHL by Aramis
    Racquets by Penhaligons
    Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior
    Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 12th May 2008 at 03:39 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I second (third? fourth? tenth?) the suggestion that you consider your fragrance choice along with your fiancee, and go with something that you both like - even if it means she'd rather you just go as you, au naturel

Whatever your choice, a hearty congratulations and best wishes to you both!
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Pure civet. If she still wants to marry you, you've got a good one...or one without a sense of smell.

Millesime Imperial.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    I wore Creed Imperial...

Quote Originally Posted by Santemon View Post
    It's a day when you commit to each other for life, for a life lived in partnership... I am assuming you chose rings together and planned other things together, so my advice would be, if the fragrance is important to you both, to choose fragrances together. I don' think the fragrance needs to be momentous or happy or joyful - just something you both enjoy smelling on each other and which gives you another wonderful memory of the occasion.

Congratulations and best wishes.
    Thank you and thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Caron Pour Un Homme is classic and smells very clean.. Habit Rouge also comes to mind..
    Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    Buberry London
    Prada PH
    Salvatore Ferragamo
    Antaeus
    Egoiste
    Rochas Lui
    Lanvin Arpege
    and anything you like really.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Héritage by Guerlain (edt or edp)
    Rochas Lui by Rochas
    Bois de Portugal by Creed
    New York by Parfums de Nicolaï
    Nicolaï pour Homme by Parfums de Nicolaï
    JHL by Aramis
    Racquets by Penhaligons
    Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior
    Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    I second (third? fourth? tenth?) the suggestion that you consider your fragrance choice along with your fiancee, and go with something that you both like - even if it means she'd rather you just go as you, au naturel

Whatever your choice, a hearty congratulations and best wishes to you both!
    Thank you and thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by studdg View Post
    Pure civet. If she still wants to marry you, you've got a good one...or one without a sense of smell.
    Good advice but I've tested her enough.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhye0808 View Post
    Millesime Imperial.

Post Re: I'm getting married! What scent do I wear?

Égoïste....Chanel
    Heritage....Guerlain
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

According to the mood of the event, something ethereal, lingering, now you feel no you don't, clean and non-offensive: I think I would go with Bulgari Pour Homme.

I'm currently going through my second divorce so I'm probably not the best person to ask, lol!

However, out of my current wardrobe I would probably consider wearing...

Heritage by Guerlain
    Caron pour Homme
    L'Edition Imperial Courvoisier EDP
    Escada pour Homme
    Cartier Eau De Cartier (fantastically elegant fragrance this one when applied heavily)
    Acqua di Parma Intensa
    Guerlain Coriolan (wonderfully etherial and romantic fragrance, auric in the way it projects and lightly so)

Out of more mainstream frags I would consider Chanel Platinum Egoiste or Balderassini or if you want to hit the right notes with your partner and win brownie points, wear "Eternity"!
    Last edited by HDS1963; 17th May 2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Afterthought.

My advice is to get as many fragrances as you can afford to buy as fast as you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Égoïste....Chanel
    Heritage....Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    According to the mood of the event, something ethereal, lingering, now you feel no you don't, clean and non-offensive: I think I would go with Bulgari Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I'm currently going through my second divorce so I'm probably not the best person to ask, lol!

However, out of my current wardrobe I would probably consider wearing...

Heritage by Guerlain
    Caron pour Homme
    L'Edition Imperial Courvoisier EDP
    Escada pour Homme
    Cartier Eau De Cartier (fantastically elegant fragrance this one when applied heavily)
    Acqua di Parma Intensa
    Guerlain Coriolan (wonderfully etherial and romantic fragrance, auric in the way it projects and lightly so)

Out of more mainstream frags I would consider Chanel Platinum Egoiste or Balderassini or if you want to hit the right notes with your partner and win brownie points, wear "Eternity"!
    The Acgua di Parma seems to be a popular suggestion. Thanks. Your description of Coriolan is intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    My advice is to get as many fragrances as you can afford to buy as fast as you can!
    Thanks for the advice.