Code of Conduct

Default Salvador Dali Pour Homme Review

I got a bottle of this today. A blind buy STRICTLY for the bottle. Who doesn't want a cool little round black pod with a pair of lips growing out the top, sitting on their shelf next to their L'Anarchiste? I wasn't expecting that the juice was going to be so wickedly good-- but this is exactly what I've been searching for. It's like a 1980's "power scent", but skewed to the outré. The problem with so many of the 80's power scents is that they play it so deadpan. This one has the right quirk to it.

I've been looking for a scent that captures a sort of Twin Peaks/David Lynch vibe, and for me, this juice nails that. Its structure is a bit dated, but that only adds to the off-beat character of this scent and makes wearing it all the more thrilling and cool today. This seriously has a gripping, dark side to it-- and I have to disagree with the negative reviews that say it smells like "dog-poop" or "sweaty fat people". I'm the first to shy away from wearing fragrances that are too dirty, but this one doesn't strike me like that at all. I'd figured from the reviews that I'd hate this.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme is very dry and spicy. It has many of the common elements of 80's chypres but just has an edginess that nothing else has. Very smoky. Has a nice "fireplace/incense" smell to it. At times, I smell a common basenote that I also get out of Laguna Homme, but it comes and goes. I also get big leather out of this scent-- probably leather of the isobutyl quinoline variety-- which often imparts a bit of a marijuana smell (Bandit), and I get a wee bit of weed in this stuff as well. This scent is just so encompassing, dark and dominating. It's like looking up and seeing giant black clouds slowly filling up the sky. This stuff makes Antaeus look like Clinique Happy. It's ominous yet comforting-- like sitting in a dark room by yourself listening to "Bitches Brew" while the storms beat at your window. The opening is a little intense, but the best part for me is the fiery furnace drydown. It's like smelling hot coals.

Something else that appeals to me about this fragrance-- it was created in 1987, which means that it was released within Salvador Dali's lifetime (he died in 1989). So to know that he himself smelled it and liked it and put his name on it, and probably had some creative input-- that's a big endorsement and this is definitely worthy of bearing his name.

Thumbs up.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 6th May 2008 at 11:13 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Salvador Dali Pour Homme Review

Great review - as always Indie.

Well...that bottle scares me. It looks a little too top heavy and surreal for even me.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...our20homme.jpg

Mind you, I've never smelled it. Your review has piqued my curiosity. It almost sounds like you're describing a smoky Trussadri Uomo. I remember an online blogger (can't remember) saying it smelled like someone blew some cigarette smoke into the bottle, since it had that kind of smoky Coca-Cola effect in the middle notes.

Reading the notes (Lavender, Clary Sage, Basil, Bergamot, Anise, Geranium, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine, Cedar, Patchouli, Sandal, Leather, and Vanilla) SDPH sounds like a fougere more than a chypre, doesn't it?

Maybe I'll buy some & decant it into a plain atomizer?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th May 2008 at 11:29 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I kept sniffing and testing this one for about four years, and I kept finding it intriguing and weird - too weird. So I just kept passing on it.

Finally I bit the bullet and bought it. Now I have two bottles of it and I wear it quite often.

I've never had a compliment from wearing it - but it just wears well with my mood as the weather starts turning colder. It kind of steels me up for the day ahead.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th May 2008 at 11:50 PM.

From reviews I've read, it sounds similar to Cuba Black. For example, on perfumeemporium.com there is this:

"Imagine standing next to a hugh bon fire with the black smoke billowing up, embers burning, ashes floating in the air. That is what this smells like to me."

Too bad we are not allowed to decant and swap samples. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've never had a compliment from wearing it - but it just wears well with my mood as the weather starts turning colder. It kind of steels me up for the day ahead.
    Renato
    I almost forgot-- didn't one of the members here (I forgot who) post a story about some guy who said "Somebody's cologne smells good" and the member's coworker said "Oh, that's my Lucky Him cologne," and raised his arm, but they guy said "No that's not it" and it turns out that the BN member was wearing Salvador Dali Pour Homme ( I think) and the guy said "Yes! That's it. Write that down for me." That story will remain one of my favorite things I've ever read on Basenotes-- I truly laughed my ass of, because I always picture this one really grizzled regular customer of mine as the guy in the story asking "who smells good."

Mike, I'll send you a sample of this when I send you the other stuff I'm sending you (I just got an email that the sprayer vials I had coming to me are on back-order, dammit-- but I'll let you know when I send it out.) You know, when I put this stuff on I thought about you and your "Yatagan Incident" at work-- if I had to wear a scent for such a situation, Salvador Dali Pour Homme would also be an excellent choice. I agree with Renato-- this stuff does kind of put you in an "untouchable" mode-- yet, I think this would be very seductive on those around you as well. I'm definitely going to wear this around a certain girl who likes things a little rough

Loved you review! Dali Homme is one of the most perfect surreal scents ever made. I am so glad this is still in production!

It blew me away the one time i tested it...it's a dynamic fragrance. A bottle will join my collection soon.

Thanks for the enjoyable review, Indie. :toppie:
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Cool Re: Salvador Dali Pour Homme Review

Very, very good review. Indie!

I've felt that this should come in EdP as well--don't ask me why, I may have to tie you to the altar as I reach for the onyx dagger.

SDPH---not to be confused with Salvador PH ( A romantic masterpiece comprised mostly of wood notes, now sadly discontinued ) is a kind of psychopathic Aramis who just escaped from Death Row.

Really, if you like ' surreal ' scents, you can't do better.

Comparisons with others, however will always fall short of the mark. It's a love it or hate it scent; but even if you hate it, you may smile anyway--This one's got a sense of humor.

Perhaps I'm not totally off my rocker for wanting this in EdP. I think it would be a ' purer ' version, still dark as all hell, but more elegant and wearable.

All Hail Cthulhu !

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Thank you for a well-written review! The line about sitting in a dark room in a storm, listening to Bitches Brew was spot on! I tried this once a couple of years ago, and to be honest I was a bit put off. It was a bit too... everything I guess? All of the facets that you mention were a bit too amplified for me at the time. A bit too dry, a bit too spicy, a bit too smoky, a bit too dark, and just a bit too weird. It was a shame because it was one of those "I really really wish I liked this" scents for me. If I remember correctly, it lasted forever and a day on me, too!

My nose is still admittedly quite immature and simple though, and was even more so back then. Maybe I need to try it again, I think I could come to like it a lot now, even with the little bit of experience I have gained since first smelling it!

It's also fascinating to imagine the possibility of Dali himself, in the last few years of his life, sitting in a room and sampling this fragrance for the first time. I instantly visualize the black bottle sitting atop a round black pedestal in the middle of a brilliantly white room. Dali walks up to the bottle, dispenses some on the back of both hands, then sits in a chair next to the pedestal and just waits. He doesn't walk around, or even get out of his chair, he simply sits and watches the time pass and experiences the fragrance that will carry his name.

I wonder how much of a role he played in the development of the fragrance as well.

I have a mini of this. The reviews and descriptions of this juice, as in this thread, make me want to like it so badly. I keep trying it now and again but I just can't get into it so-far. At least I can tolerate it though. My very first sniff of the stuff went about like this: "WTF IS THIS?! This stuff has got to be a joke! Who would bottle this and think people would pay money to wear it?!"

By-the-way, given that this juice is so "challenging", the bottle shape and the lips-cap must be significant somehow, no?

It was I who originally posted that, Indie Guy. And now, for your reading pleasure

"I was training someone on their first night at the job, and a man came up to the desk and shortly thereafter said, "Wow, someone smells really good!" The trainee smiled and said, "Oh, yes, that's me. I'm wearing Lucky You for men" and offered his arm for the man to smell. The man took a quick whiff and shook his head, "No, no, that's not it." At this point I smiled and offered my arm while saying, "Perhaps this is it?"

The man smiled and said, "Yes, that smells amazing. Please tell me what it is." At this point the man's wife walked in and he had her smell it too, and she asked me to write down the name of the scent for her.

I was wearing Salvador Dali pour homme."
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It was I who originally posted that, Indie Guy. And now, for your reading pleasure

"I was training someone on their first night at the job, and a man came up to the desk and shortly thereafter said, "Wow, someone smells really good!" The trainee smiled and said, "Oh, yes, that's me. I'm wearing Lucky You for men" and offered his arm for the man to smell. The man took a quick whiff and shook his head, "No, no, that's not it." At this point I smiled and offered my arm while saying, "Perhaps this is it?"

The man smiled and said, "Yes, that smells amazing. Please tell me what it is." At this point the man's wife walked in and he had her smell it too, and she asked me to write down the name of the scent for her.

How unlucky for the trainee

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

YES!

It just cracks me up thinking about this trainee guy with his lame ass Lucky You-- and like I said, I picture this guy who used to come into my bar regularly as the guy asking the question. He was the most awesome, dry dude-- Originally from Long Island, but lived in Texas. A Yankee with cowboy boots basically. Sculpture of Soul, if your review isn't in the directory as posted above, please put it there for eternity. It's written almost like a biblical parable-- and I suppose it would be a parable for Basenoters to heed. Thanks again for reposting it. And good choice in wearing Salvador Dali Pour Homme.

Yes, it is quite intense stuff on the opening and I can see how people would dislike it. I love the drydown better than the opening. And Mario, I can't even begin to imagine an EDP of this! I think SDPH would be incredible with a nice suit.

Dependent

at this point when the giggles and yucks are out of the way, I like top share the website

here

reminding all that there were 'real' noses behind each release. And surrealism, what has happened to surrealism? All that's left is David Lynch? That can't be true.

and of course if something is the least little bit strange nowadays it must be surrounded by acres and acres of the Devils own pipe filler. MARIJUANA

something so bad that it's name is not an English one.

I'm gonna faint.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 9th May 2008 at 07:16 PM.

fredricktoo Re: Salvador Dali Pour Homme Review
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    at this point when the giggles and yucks are out of the way, I like top share the website

here

reminding all that there were 'real' noses behind each release. And surrealism, what has happened to surrealism? All that's left is David Lynch? That can't be true.

and of course if something is the least little bit strange nowadays it must be surrounded by acres and acres of the Devils own pipe filler. MARIJUANA

I'm gonna faint.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! one of the more "surreal" posts I've read!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    fredricktoo Re: Salvador Dali Pour Homme Review

here

I'm gonna faint.

Wow! one of the more "surreal" posts I've read!
    If you'd like to, you can click on my name and see that you're given a list of all of my posts. Now I'm not so egocentric to think you'd enjoy them all, but you may find some that are pretty dazzling in such skills you don't normally find on a rather one sensed board.
    Well two sensed since you'll be reading and add another sense since you'll be centered on input and if some of the things you read leave a bad taste theres another. Got a glass of spirts? Clink!!! you're all set.