Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your most versatile fragrance

I'm the kind of person who says if I can't wear it year 'round, I don't buy it.

This being said, what is your most versatile fragrance?

I love SMN's Rose (yes, I know it is a woman's fragrance. But I like it.) and Guerlain's Vetiver. Unfortunately, with the latter, I won't buy a full bottle. The significant other hates it for some odd reason.

Default Re: Your most versatile fragrance

Hmmm ... if you like vetiver, you could try French Lover - it would go at any time of the year. It has a lemon nbote that some associate with cvleaning products (I hate how many mundane things take on scents used in purfumery "ruining it" for others!

I also think Sel de Vetiver or Terre d'Hermes might be good to try as well.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Blog Entries

Bvlgari Black, for sure. I wear it year-round both to work & play.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

From my wardrobe, I'd have to say Terre. And that's about the only scent I'd consider versatile in my collection, actually. I had Platinum Egoiste as well, but I traded that away.

It looks like my philosophy is the opposite of yours, Texican - I don't really care for versatile scents, but it's gotta be interesting or I'll get bored with it soon. If you have 10+ bottles, then most likely at least one of them will suit your needs at any given time.

In my experience - mainly niche-based, admittedly - I've found that both Acqua di Parma Colonia and good ol' Green Irish Tweed have proven themselves to be the most versatile fragrances in my wardrobe.

They don't cover all bases - cosy winter scents they aren't - but if I had to cut my wardrobe down to a handful of fragrances, at least one of those two would remain.

Bulgari Black, Balenciaga pour Homme, Versace Versus, Salvador Dali pour Homme, Montana pour Homme and Yang all come to mind right away.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

for me, definitely Creed Himalaya.

I've found that Animale Animale is best for me, if I want to appreciate the frag, have it last a long time, and not offend anyone. I think all the other frags I have are either less interesting or have offended someone (since sometimes I'm around people who can't handle anything even remotely strong).

Blog Entries

If I have to pick one, it would be Guerlain Habit Rouge (EDC)

Blog Entries

Helmut Lang (original). easy to wear in any type of setting...

Versus Uomo ... anytime.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Right now....Scent One/Hinoki

I second Acqua di Parma, GIT, and Habit Rouge. Each of those would work in nearly any situation.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

From what I have I'd say Paul Smith Extreme.

Though I wear what I want, when I want (with all things considered of course).

Clarins Eau Dynamisante. My favorite eau de cologne and better than Prozac.

Post Re: Your most versatile fragrance

AdP Colonia, Citrus makes it light enough for warm weather, and Bulgarian Rose gives the fragrance a little weight which makes it stand up to cold weather. Can be worn to a picnic, or a wedding.Versitle fragrance.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Czech & Speake #88.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    for me, definitely Creed Himalaya.
    I wore that this morning on my way to work. Definitely an excellent fragrance. Reminds me of a sophisticated Candie's For Men (the frag I used to wear in high school). While I will keep a decant of it around, I still like MI and SMW better as far as Creeds go.

Sur la Plage

AdP Colonia
    Terre d'Hermes
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't know if I just tend to delude myself into thinking my favorites are versatile or what, but here are my top versatile frags:

Antidote - an oriental light enough for summer wear, yet just heavy enough for winter wear. Not overly formal, not too casual.

L'Anarchiste - not nearly as off putting as the reputation that precedes it. A light application of this works anywhere, anytime.

AdP Colonia - basically, what everyone else already said.

Prada Amber - same reasons as Antidote, despite the scent being much different.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 9th May 2008 at 04:30 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

One more AdP Colonia - Assoluta. Though I bought it in spring and haven't used it in autumn and winter, I'm sure it will be great at that seasons, too.

Green Irish Tweed
    Original Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver Sport

Gendarme EDP

everything i own! i dont really follow the day/night/season thing. but if i did i'd probably pick issey miyake or le male

Ormonde Jayne - Ormonde Man
    Dior - Eau Sauvage
    Bvlgari pour Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (not concentree)
    (Oh yeah, AdP Colonia or Assoluta - I'd agree!)
    Last edited by Delmar; 9th May 2008 at 06:43 AM.

Givenchy Xerius
    Paco
    Lagerfeld Jako
    Guerlain Coriolan
    Salvatore Ferragamo

I`d say Solo Loewe & YSL L`Homme.
    My current Fall-Winter rotation: Baldessarini EdC - Canali Men - Dior Homme Sport - Gucci PH I - Guerlain Homme - Issey Miyake L`Eau D`Issey PH Intense - Lalique Encre Noir - Loewe Solo - Terre d`Hermes - YSL Rive Gauche PH

Romance Silver and Purple Label by RL.... Gio of course.... Armani prive's Vetiver Babylon....Aqua Motu....Acqua di Parma's Colonia....Polo Black....Canali....Kiton Black....Zegna Intensa.......plus many more.
    Gary

AdP Colonia Assoluta
    Original Vetiver
    Montana Parfum d'Homme (red box)

Boss Elements is still my favourite all rounder.
    Renato

Guerlain Vetiver
    Eau Sauvage
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955)
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Armani Eau Pour Homme

For me, it would be Hermes Equipage, as well as Guerlain Vetiver. If the Guerlain doesn't work for you, then either Floris' version or Carven's recent reformulation are both anywhere, any time type scents.

For me, while not the favorite fragrance in my collection, Black Mark by Jack Black is hands down the most versatile fragrance I own.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Dior Homme Intense, sometimes with force.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Tauer's L'Air - this is incredibly versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Tauer's L'Air - this is incredibly versatile.
    I agree Trebor. Good call.

I'd have to say... looking through my collection the frags I would feel comfortable wearing day or evening and all through the year are, in no particular order...

Platinum Egoiste
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Eau De Cartier
    Dior Homme
    Acqua Di Parma Intensa (I don't own Colonia or Assoluta but they are iminent purchases)
    Desir by Rochas
    Obsession by Calvin Klein
    Castile by Penhaligons
    Gucci Envy
    Pierre Cardin pour homme
    Last edited by HDS1963; 31st May 2008 at 01:15 PM.

Good call on Desir de Rochas Homme too! I had a bottle, sold it, but it haunted me, so I got another and wore it yesterday. The drydown is really nice....musk, cardamom, bit of chocolate, and cashmeran, vanilla....did great in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Good call on Desir de Rochas Homme too! I had a bottle, sold it, but it haunted me, so I got another and wore it yesterday. The drydown is really nice....musk, cardamom, bit of chocolate, and cashmeran, vanilla....did great in the heat.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one that likes this one! It's a very overlooked fragrance but is just soooo lovely on the skin.

I bought it as an impulse purchase at Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv and I have never regretted it.

It's such a polite, unassuming and utterly delicious sensuous fragrance that women, upon smelling it kind of sigh appreciatively. It's a great scent and I think it's a shame Rochas (a very under-rated house IMO) don't market it more heavily.

Terre d'Hermes and Cartier Declaration. They're both on my favorite ten. Nothing has been sacrificed for versatility.

I have to say in no particular order:
    TdH
    GIT
    Gendarme
    Hugh Parsons(Blue Bottle)

From my modest collection, I'd say Rive Gauche PH.

Eclat L'anvin D'aperge
    Creed OV
    Gendarme 20
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by calculus View Post
    From my modest collection, I'd say Rive Gauche PH.
    Dittos.

I think Bvlgari PH is quite a nice every/any time kind of fragrance.

Others that I could easily wear anytime/anyplace:
    Antaeus - Chanel
    Vintage Tabarome - Creed (worn sparingly)
    Amouage Silver - though probably a bit too expensive for everyday wear!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

In my opinion it´s very probable that you have the versatile one: SMN's Rose. To me it isn´t a femenin rose scent (now I know because it´s from R. centifolia, not bulgarian, here is the difference). I have written that it´s a "cold rose" scent. Sure AdP or Terre d'Hermès are other options, but here there is another point that I think about a versatile frag: extreme weather conditions, not only about seasons in the same city or occasions/events. Some perfumes are fantastic and wearable in a dry Madrid but not as good in humid, 40 Celsius in Yucatan (México) or viceversa. So I prefer those "non variable" scents, well defined. BUT, as I wrote, "it's very probable" because I have not wear SMN's Rose in México... but after a little experience, I feel it will pass the test next month.

My most versatile (all weather, all occasions, everyday) scent is Boss Bottled By Hugo Boss. Brilliant stuff! Not only is it my most versatile scent but it is my favourite out of my whole collection (a collection which includes many of the big brand colognes).

Voyage D'Hermes.
    Last edited by Alvus; 3rd September 2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: updated

I personally consider anything I own and use to be versatile, so I can't pinpoint a particular fragrance.

I would say Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme, GIT, Givenchy Pour Homme, Rive Gauche PH, Terre d'Hermes, D&G Pour Homme, Ungaro III and Tommy Bahama.

My problem where I live is that its hot and humid a vast majority of the time. Green, clean, marine or herbal fragrances work well here a vast majority of the year.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

I use all my fragrances all year round, but if I had to pick out some that are very versatile, it would be these:

Creed Aventus
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Millesime Imperial

These are very versatile, and can be used for every seasons and occasions, casual or formal.

Green Irish Tweed.

Basenotes Junkie

When I need versatile, I reach for an inexpensive, generic fresh fragrance: Azzaro Chrome. Always just smells good, inoffensive and masculine.

Floris Santal
    Gucci Pour Homme II

Anytime and anywhere frags.

+1 Green Irish Tweed, Himalaya, Original Vetiver, Guerlain Vetiver (which I don't own, but can tell would fly in any number of situations). Creeds are easy to wear, almost as a rule.

I also, personally, have a hard time imagining a time when Platinum Egoiste, Concentree d'Orange, or Mugler Cologne wouldn't be appropriate, though I don't technically wear them as often as the Creed frags above.

Guerlain's Derby. I reach for this all the time.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

GIT I cannot imagine a situation where this wouldn't be appropriate.

Hmmm I think Aventus is my most versatile fragrance

Lacoste Pour Homme. Night, day, winter, summer, etc. I wear it all the time.
    Need to try Bvlgari black..

Bois D'Argent and Opulent Shaik Classic No.77 both anywhere any time.