Code of Conduct

Default Is this "Art of Shaving" stuff any good?

I was thinking of getting this:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2873004?...=searchresults

and was wondering if this stuff was really worth it? I mean, badger brush, do I need that? What I do now is just spread the shaving cream with my hands (I use Aveeno) and then use my Fusion razer to shave. I don't use pre-shaving oil, nor do I cut myself to need aftershave. BUT, if this stuff is really good, I'd be willing to "upgrade" my shave because currently I find shaving to be a big chore (who doesn't, right?) and getting chin and mustache stubble is really a pain...

Anyone used this stuff and found a significant difference in how their shave turns out?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is this "Art of Shaving" stuff any good?

I'll recommend a visit to the forums at http://badgerandblade.com/ (a little more rough-and-tumble but friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable) and at http://www.shavemyface.com/index.php (somewhat more refined group of guys with great info - in particular on the English products).

Personally, I detest the AOS products for a number of reasons. However, some of their shaving products are well-liked by others.

Upgrading your shaving routine can improve some things. A lot of guys do use a badger brush (I would not recommend the AOS brush, though - Crabtree & Evelyn has a great badger brush for around $35), a good shave cream/soap (such as Trumper's, Truefitt & Hill, D.R. Harris, and others), and use a cartridge razor.

AOS aside, I don't think pre-shave oil improves a shave any more than washing and wetting your face does, but others feel differently.

My interest in fragrances sprang from my re-introduction to good shaving. Now, I look forward to shaving and can't imagine a day without a shave. Fragrances and shaving do seem to go hand in hand.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I've never been able to tell a difference with a pre-shave oil either. It really comes down to the shaving cream or soap with me. And aftershave isn't necessarily for cuts, it helps to soothe razor burn and the like. Though if you don't have any issues with that either, then shaving cream is probably enough.

Shaving away chin and moustache stubble is a pain for me as well, but I sincerely doubt that using a brush (which really just helps to work up a thicker lather [which results in a more comfortable shave]) will help you with that.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Zirh Prepare

(pre-shave oil)

This stuff is unreal. The most slippery stuff imaginable. it feels like liquid silk. Maybe even better. Throw a couple of drops of this stuff on before your cream, and you'll be amazed how you ever lived without it. I love it!

I recently decided to test a few others to see if I could find anything cheaper than $18. The result - I suppose it depends on what your preferences are. The Art of Shaving Lavender pre-shave oil, which is the same consistency as the lemon p.s.o. - sort of feels more like olive oil than the Zirh stuff. The Zirh is hands down the best I've tried. It feels like KY jelly! While the AoS Lavender oil was very nice smelling, I prefer the results of the Zirh. I've also tried King of Shaves (decent) and Jack Black (very good), but Zirh tops them all. You don't even really need to use shaving cream with it.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 10th May 2008 at 05:22 AM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I bought an Art of Shaving kit at deep discount at Costco around Christmas time. Their products are a little pricey but they are good qualtiy.
    I have a heavy beard and I find a get a closer shave with the shave oil (besure to work it into your beard for a mionute or so to get the full benefit). I also notice that I get twice a many shaves out of a blade using the shave oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Zirh Prepare
    I'll look into this, thanks!

AOS is very good. Pre-shave oil is a very good thing. The only alternative, Gentleman's Refinery. Also truly excellent. All things being equal, AOS is good, and a good place to start, for sure.

Sur la Plage

I use and love the AOS pre-shave oil and shaving cream.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

i dont like art of shaving at all...its alot of hype. I break out when using their products...a great company for shave products is eshave...check out their website.

Lately, i get my face really hot, almost face melting and then i use Everyman Jack Signature shave cream and foolow up with tend skin lotion on the bumby or cut spots and its a great wy to shave...no ingrowns or razor burn since...later i follow up by putting on nivea moisturizer all over my face.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Crabtree and Evelyn makes some good shaving soaps that cost alot less than Art of Shaving's soaps. Actually the soaps are made in England, very good soaps.

Pre-shave oil? You can go buy jojoba at a healthfood store. Mostly it's not something I use.

After shave? An alum block is fairly cheap and works decent on razor burn, small nicks, etc. I also like cucumber or rosewater hydrosols afterwards. Calendula oil is also great and you can buy that cheap as well at a healthfood store. During the winter sometimes I use Neutragena's post-shave Razor Defense, it's pretty good.

Some other good shaving creams, very inexpensive, are Tom's of Maine or Kiss My Face (the Patchouli or Lavender are probably the best). I use both with a 15 dollar Omega Syntex brush but you can also use your hands to lather with water. These shave creams are as good as any I've tried under 20 dollars or so, and they only cost about 7 dollars for a large quantity.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 28th June 2008 at 06:30 AM.

I have been using the AOS shaving creams and soaps for some time now. They are some of the best quality shaving products on the market today. I will mainly stress the quality of the soaps though.

That being said, if you do not want to go into the world of shaving soaps, get a tub of cream from "The Body Shop". The scent is a litttle odd, but the quality is on par with AOS. I have a tub that I added a bit of my own blend of FO's and EO's to improve the scent.

Follow your shave with an alcohol based after shave splash (these reduce razor burn, ingrown hairs, and will kill any bacteria present). I personally use good ole' Aqua Velva. The cooling effect is awesome on a hot summer day!! After the splash I recommend a quality after shave balm. Any of the Nivea ASB's are great. These will replace the moisture that is lost in the shaving process.

As for the razor, get rid of the multi-blade gadgets.

Jason
    "Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis"

I tried the art of shaving kit and it actually cut me up pretty bad; but i have VERY sensitive skin and shave gel as opposed to foam works much better for me. A friend of mine uses the art of shaving kits and really loves them so definately get a small kit and try it out to see for yourself. They kits are around $35 and include a brush, pre shave gel, shaving cream (***foam, not gel), and aftershave and last about 3-4 weeks.

Great thing about having a beard is that you only have to trim it up a couple times a week

BTW L’Oreal has great aftershave that does not smell at all; leaving more smell to the cologne!

I'm a bit late, but I'll throw my 2 cents in, which may be worth about half that LOL. I've been traditional wetshaving for a while now, and have used most of the hi-end creams/soaps. AOS creams are average and I would rate them a bit lower than the popular english creams (even though they may actually be made in England). AOS products are also overpriced in my opinion. My favorite cream is Taylors, Rose in Particular:

The Taylor's creams are very good, and happen to be among the most cost effective of all the English creams. Very well respected cream.

As far as shaving soaps go, I've used Harris, Floris, Pre de Provence, and Tabac. The Harris & Floris soaps ooze quality, but they lit my face up pretty good. Must have something to do with the fragrance. Their packaging is top notch though:

I love this statement, which is on the Harris box:

Harris & Floris soaps and creams are highly regarded, even though they didn't work for me.

The Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush which was mentioned earlier was my first, and still one of my favorites. I doubt you'll be able to buy a better brush for $35. It's the first brush on the left:

Here's the brush in action, lathering up some AOS Lavender:

I get my best shaves using Tabac's shaving soap:

The stuff provides a fantastic, protective, slick lather. Ironically, it's highly scented and it doesn't irritate my skin. Look at that lather:

The Tabac is also among the cheapest shaving soap's when compared to brands such as Harris, and Floris. I guess I should consider my self fortunate considering the prices. That said, price is of no concern, I would use what agreed with my face, regardless of cost. Just so happens the less expensive options work best for me. Some are put off by the fragrance, but it's gone as soon as you rinse your face. I happen to love the scent, reminds me of being a kid, sitting in the barber shop, enjoying that clean soapy scent.

There you have it, my wet shaving pictorial LOL..Let us know how it works out for you.

Steve
    Last edited by desmoface; 24th August 2008 at 09:13 PM.

I agree with those above that say its just hype. You can personally put a good kit together off of ebay. I know some people might say to avoid it like a fat girl but there are a lot of good options out there.

I would first say if your skin is sensitive do not use anything lavender in it because it is a known irritant.

For my shave soap I use a badger brush with a bowl and HoneyBee Spas shea butter shave soap. It is by the far the best I have ever experienced. Lathers up great and smells good and is really slick. Also its cheap and the soap bars aren't excellent too. I have the coconut lime and had a girl lick my arm this Saturday in a club.

As for preshave, I have tried the Zirh, but I would recommmend Kiehls Pre Shave oil. I would have to say if you get it you will be thrilled by the numbness factor in it which is what softens the hairs and brings them out. Also the price might be hard to handle but the fact that I have had my bottle for over a year and still have a 1/4 left and I shave everyday (Navy)

BTW First post.

I think it's kind of hype, but if it gets someone to actually slow down and take the time to really prep their face for shaving then that's a good thing. I think that most people who have problems with nicks and ingrown hairs are speeding through the process.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion for a good starter set up - I'd start here, with arguably the best value in a shaving brush:
    http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/acc130291.html
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...p?ltr=C&t=5867

Next up, arguably the best value in traditional English shave creams and one of the best performing at any price (my favorite cream)
    http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Bond-St.../dp/B0007MW2ZC
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...p?ltr=T&t=1847

Then, for after your shave
    http://www.nivea.com/products/show/111
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...p?ltr=N&t=4898

If you want to try an excellent razor, here's one of the most highly regarded among wet shavers:
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1778

And, you will probably need blades for your new razor; hard to beat these:
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1726

Good luck.

Steve
    Last edited by desmoface; 2nd September 2008 at 05:43 PM.

The poster above is on the money.

AOS sucks.

They carry Merkur razors, which, for safety razors, which you should use, are the best, but AOS overchanges slightly on the razors and majorly on the blades (plus they only stock Merkur blades, which are middle of the road).

As for the rest of their products, they're all overpriced and are by no means standout.

Get an EJ brush from C&E. Badger hair.

Get a good shaving cream/soap.

Get good blades.

Shave with the grain first. Then if you want more reduction, rinse and relather and shave across the grain. Now, if you want a below-the-skin-level, smooth shave, relather and shave against the grain - if you can pull it off without getting ingrowns.

You're done.
    Last edited by boyextraordinare; 7th November 2008 at 03:38 AM.

Hi,

ya its very intresting

thanks

hi,
    I think it's kind of hype, but if it gets someone to actually slow down and take the time to really prep their face for shaving then that's a good thing. I think that most people who have problems with nicks and ingrown hairs are speeding through the process.

ya its very intresting

I am curious, akshay03, what did you actually end up doing?

AOS stuff is very good. I think it is up there with the best but it is expensive.

I currently use AOS Sandalwood when I have a lot of time to shave (i.e. out of the shower) and Jack Black Beard Lube when I'm in the shower. Both work great in my opinion (I have very sensitive skin and I'm prone to breakouts). The AOS lets me get a little closer shave while the Jack Black numbs and cools my face (I go with and then against the grain). I also tone and moisturize my face afterwards, it helps with the burn.

I'm a recent convert to traditional wetshaving. Been doing it for about 2 months. If you have the time, I highly recommend giving a double edge razor, a badger brush, and a good cream a shot for a couple weeks to see if it's for you. You don't need to buy stuff from Art of Shaving, you can get products that are as good or better elsewhere for less money. One thing I really dislike about AOS is that they mark things up almost 40% from what you can find online, particularly their Merkur razors. Their shaving cream is okay, but I didn't like it because something in it (the unscented one) caused a reaction with my skin.

Anyway, the best shaving cream I've used so far is Taylor's Avocado. You aren't going to get much out of it w/o a badger brush though.

Preshave oil is a huge con, IMO. If you must have it, make your own. No sense in paying $30+ for two bucks (if that) worth of oils you can buy at Whole Foods.
    Last edited by cvac; 9th December 2008 at 05:34 PM.

Thumbs down Re: Is this "Art of Shaving" stuff any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Zirh Prepare

(pre-shave oil)

This stuff is unreal. The most slippery stuff imaginable. it feels like liquid silk. Maybe even better. Throw a couple of drops of this stuff on before your cream, and you'll be amazed how you ever lived without it. I love it!
    I deceided to try it after reading your post.

Went to zirh.com to place an order... at the order confirmation screen, they FORCED a 1 year Details subscription on me, showing that I have to CALL AN 800 NUMBER in order to cancel it. There is NO way to get this off my order.

My experience tells me that this subscription will likely be VERY difficult to cancel.

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND UNPROFESSIONAL.

Needless to say I will not be placing the order.
    Last edited by Neurotic Scientist; 14th December 2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Added image

Are you seriously complaining about a free subscription? I'm honestly dieing of laughter right now.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

I don't trust that it's a full year for free. More likely it's one or two months free, then you have to cancel or pay. Why would they put a number for you to cancel otherwise? And in my experience, it's VERY difficult to cancel these kinds of "promotional" auto subscriptions. It takes several phone calls and letters.

Let's see how much you're laughing when you get stuck having to pay for a subscription that you didn't want, then find it's next to impossible to cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic Scientist View Post
    I don't trust that it's a full year for free. More likely it's one or two months free, then you have to cancel or pay. Why would they put a number for you to cancel otherwise? And in my experience, it's VERY difficult to cancel these kinds of "promotional" auto subscriptions. It takes several phone calls and letters.

Let's see how much you're laughing when you get stuck having to pay for a subscription that you didn't want, then find it's next to impossible to cancel.

LOL I called the number and they said they cancel immediately if need be. And it would be highly illegal to state ONE YEAR FREE and charge someone 2 months later. I REALLY don't understand your anger.

In the end, you care complaining for NO REASON. Buy Zirh products off another site.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

A little pricey but I like their products a lot. I use their safety razor which is manufactured by Merkur. I also use their sandalwood pre shave oil and shave cream. Their products exceed my expectations and the sandalwood smell is mild but awesome. My old favorite was Jack Black's beard lube which is good but I like AOS better. I have also tried Clinique, Anthony's, and Kiehls which where all ok but not much better than cheap gillete.