Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Chanel No5

I've been feeling somewhat bellicose of late, I must admit.

I don't know why - maybe it's because I am going through a divorce and I am just fed up with woman kind.

I'm toying with making my signature scent of this summer Chanel No 5, for no other reason other than I know that so called female perfumes completely change on my skin and I reckon I could wear it. Certainly Mitsouko works really well on me and several of the so called female Occitanes also work well on me.

So, what I want to know is this: which of my fellow male Basenoters have used No5 and a) how did they find it and b) what was the reaction of others to you wearing it?

FYI, I will be buying a used bottle of the EDP as opposed to the EDT.

Thoughts gentlemen please?

Default Re: Thoughts on Chanel No5

I know it was Andy Warhol's signature scent ... other than that I don't have much experience with the EDP. I know 5 shares much of the Chanel signature feeling that I love in Cuir de Russie and Bois des Iles, both of which I wear proudly.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Quote Originally Posted by bront82 View Post
    I know it was Andy Warhol's signature scent ... other than that I don't have much experience with the EDP. I know 5 shares much of the Chanel signature feeling that I love in Cuir de Russie and Bois des Iles, both of which I wear proudly.
    Exactly. That's my thinking. I'm willing to bet that most guys today could wear No5 well, simply because the scent landscape has changed so much.

I went out this evening wearing two Occitanes. Ambre, on top of which I layered L'Iparie, I got sniffed admiringly by a couple of women.

That's why I'm interested in guys' thoughts who have worn this iconic "female" fragrance.

I think that if your skin doesn't put off too much the floral heart, specially the ylang-yang and may rose accord, in favour of the powdery aldehides and the jasmine and sandalwood drydown, it can work very well also in the heat! Maybe don't apply too much in the heat since it's an edp.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    I think that if your skin doesn't put off too much the floral heart, specially the ylang-yang and may rose accord, in favour of the powdery aldehides and the jasmine and sandalwood drydown, it can work very well also in the heat! Maybe don't apply too much in the heat since it's an edp.

I'm kind of pushing the florals at the moment. I think there's a trend in men today who are looking more towards expressions of masculinity which inculde florals. Male skin has traditionally worn violets and lavender very well, and to some degree more ornately floral notes - like Iris for example (which is maybe why Prada are rumoured to be bringing out a male version of Infusion D'Iris).

One of my favourite fragrances is Penhaligon's Castile which opens with a glorious fussilade of Neroli along with the fireworks of the citrus and pepper accords.

Also, many of my favourite "male" fragrances like Caron Pour Homme are deeply floral. So for that reason, I am going on a quest to claim Channel No 5 for men. The drydown surely is in male territory?

Men CAN wear sweet floral heart notes - although I can't abide Penhaligon's Hammam which is ghastly.

Hell, I can wear Sur Le Nil and carry that off, surely No 5 can't be that much of a challenge... (I'm also considering purchasing No 19 as well, next week I'll be storming the Bastille....)

The drydown of No. 5 has a slightly fruity smell that I think feels quite 'young-woman' like. When I wear feminine scents, I feel most comfortable with 'old-woman' scents. Guess that's why I love Jacques Guerlain's perfumes. If you like the rosy, aldehyde, woody smell of No. 5 but want something dryer and darker, I can certainly recommend Guerlain's Liu - I wear it often, and it just has this dry, melancholic feeling that No. 5 doesn't have. Liu still exists like EdP in the Les Parisiennes line.

I use No5 EDP no problems. I find it more an evening or dressed-nicely fragrance than a casual fragrance, but I have no concerns about wearing it out and about. I enjoy it and don't mind at all a bit of "floralness" on me. The only thing I would consider is whether the place and time are good for wearing a slightly stronger fragrance - but that is no different from when I consider traditionally masculine frags.

No19 is fantastic, but I haven't tried the EDP there. EDT and extrait. I'll use the former no problems to the office, and I *greatly* enjoy the latter on cooler evenings.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

I will tell you honestly, No. 5 EDP should have been marketed as a men's version. I own it and it smells hideous on me, if I spray it on hubby, or a male friend, it smells divine. I wish I could tell you why, but I can't; you will just have to experience it.
    As far as the divorce goes; I wish you all the best, I have gone through it twice before (before turning 30) and it has always turned out to be for the best. I am now married for the third time, and thank goodness it was worth all the other things one has to traverse in life. Think of No. 5 as your 'fresh start' fragrance, it always feels so empowering to me.
    Best wishes to you
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source