Code of Conduct

Default Etat Libre d'Orange: Leather, leather, everywhere

I just got a bunch of their samples as well as a full bottle of Tom of Finland and it seems like this house is made of leather.

Check into these beauties:
    Tom of Finland - for Dzing!-ers.
    Eloge du Traitre - For Yatagan lovers.
    Je Suis Un Homme - A contemporary twist on a men's classic.

The ones below also do leather, but in a more ironic, floral way:
    Putain des Palaces - Ambery leather.
    Rien - ?
    Divin'enfant - Sugar and leather.
    Charogne - Indoles and leather.

I'm growing to love this house's DaDa-esque take on fragrance.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 10th May 2008 at 05:17 PM.

Default Re: Etat Libre d'Orange: Leather, leather, everywhere

I'll finish it off for you..........

Rien - Incensy leather

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Basenotes Institution

Ruggles - don't forget about Vierges et Toreros: tuberose, animal and leather (or as I called it in my review of it here, '...like you've opened up your grandmothers purse inside a Hickory Farms store...')
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st June 2008 at 10:50 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ruggles - don't forget about Vierges et Toreros: tuberose, animal and leather (or as I called it in my review of it here, '...like you've opened up your grandmothers purse inside a Hickory Farms store...'
    You're right, how could I forget that one? Thanks.

I wanted to revisit this post in the hopes of getting some more feedback on the ELdO line. I'm expecting some samples in the mail this week, so I'm interested to hear some more thoughts about these fragrances. They don't get written about very much around here, which seems odd because they seem to be a pretty controversial/polarizing line.

In general, ELdO do well in Turin's book, but some, at least, seem to be reviled around here. That's an intriguing combination.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Quote Originally Posted by UngerWoo View Post
    I wanted to revisit this post in the hopes of getting some more feedback on the ELdO line. I'm expecting some samples in the mail this week, so I'm interested to hear some more thoughts about these fragrances. They don't get written about very much around here, which seems odd because they seem to be a pretty controversial/polarizing line.

In general, ELdO do well in Turin's book, but some, at least, seem to be reviled around here. That's an intriguing combination.
    I really love the line...agreed that there is an awful lot of leather though (which isn't such a bad thing).

I wrote a few reviews on them here if you're interested. My favourites so far are Jasmin & Cigarettes (No leather there), Rien, Charogne, and Divin'Enfant. Not necessarily wearable each time, but still very interesting.

can't wait to try these!
    Last edited by nthny; 3rd January 2011 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I really love the line...agreed that there is an awful lot of leather though (which isn't such a bad thing).I wrote a few reviews on them here if you're interested. My favourites so far are Jasmin & Cigarettes (No leather there), Rien, Charogne, and Divin'Enfant. Not necessarily wearable each time, but still very interesting.
    I wore Jasmin and Cigarettes yesterday and I started to sense that ELd'O has a standard base running through most of their fragrances. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something muddy in the base of J&C, Tom of Finland, SM and Putin de Palaces. It reminds me of the base that Ava Luxe uses, too. Any thoughts?

^ wouldn't surprise me...most companies seem to use standard bases in many of their fragrances (ie - guerlinade). I guess if it works, why change it?

ELd'O has a house similarity - and while most of the scents are pretty good - I find all hard to wear, though I think Rien is an excellent leather scent - and not sweet at all!
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

I added 4 ELdO samples to a TPC "shopping cart" after reading this thread a few weeks ago.

I sampled Rien today after lunch break. I could have sworn there is rosewood / palisander in that airy, woody/floral mix. It reminded me some of CdG Palisander - but airier and lighter.

I have been sampling Yatagan recently and when I tried Eloge du Traitre the other day there was almost instant Yatagan "recognition".

I can't say I found Tom of Finland reminiscent of Dzing! (of which I only have a couple samples). I asked my partner what he thought of it. He said it was "strong". When I told him it was "Tom of Finland", he replies, "Isn't that the 'homofil tegner' (gay drawer/cartoonist)?" He apparently knew more about the real Tom of Finland than I did! I actually had higher hopes for TOF but after a couple samplings find it unpleasant. (But there's more left in my sample so who knows!)

Je Suis Un Homme reminds of SL Borneo 1834 (of all things!). JSUH is my favorite of the four.

I look forward to trying Jasmin et Cigarette someday soon.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    I have been sampling Yatagan recently and when I tried Eloge du Traitre the other day there was almost instant Yatagan "recognition".
    Yes, yes, yes. EdT is a Yatagan clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I found it to be a clone of Guerlain's Derby...but I haven't tried Yatagan before, so perhaps Derby and it are similar as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    You know - it has the Pine-Vetiver accord (as does Mazzolari, BTW) - and they are kissing cousins - but I find Yatagan to be more dirty and animalic.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Delicous Closet Queen also has leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I never realized that leather seemed to be the "prevailing common factor" Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post

I'm growing to love this house's DaDa-esque take on fragrance.
    Me too

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I thought I could smell some similar aspects in the base notes, but I think I decided in the end that whatever is at the bottom of Delicious Closet Queen was just extraordinarily tenacious on my skin.

I still cant get a grip on what a leather note is, no scent smells like leather to me yet except Demeter Leather. I'll have to go sniff a bunch more purses until I start getting it.

That sample set is great right? I wish all the houses did that