Code of Conduct

Exclamation Torn Between Cuir de Russie & Bois des Iles

I have been told that both Cuir de Russie and Bois des Iles from Chanel are no longer produced as extrait.
    There are some existing stocks, but at the exorbitant price of € 215 for 30ml extrait I can only afford one.
    The question is which one ?
    After reading many articles in which Cuir de Russie was pronounced as the ` ultimate leather perfume ´, I was to say the least a little bit let down when I first smelt Cuir de Russie.I found it somehow weak - not leathery enough. On the other hand when I tried Bois des Iles I loved the Sandalwood bias in this perfume and was pleasantly surprised. As an avid fan of both leather and sandalwood I am still not sure which to choose and would appreciate your opinions.

Default Re: Torn Between Cuir de Russie & Bois des Iles

Cuir de Russie is the more masculine of the two, IMO. As a leather scent it has few peers.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I have been told that both Cuir de Russie and Bois des Iles from Chanel are no longer produced as extrait.
    There are some existing stocks, but at the exorbitant price of € 215 for 30ml extrait I can only afford one.
    The question is which one ?
    After reading many articles in which Cuir de Russie was pronounced as the ` ultimate leather perfume ´, I was to say the least a little bit let down when I first smelt Cuir de Russie.I found it somehow weak - not leathery enough. On the other hand when I tried Bois des Iles I loved the Sandalwood bias in this perfume and was pleasantly surprised. As an avid fan of both leather and sandalwood I am still not sure which to choose and would appreciate your opinions.
    Sounds to me that you answered your own question! You liked Bois and not Cuir!

There are lots of good leather scents out there, if you don't like Chanel's offering there arte abotu 1,000,000 other ones to choose from.

I felt the same way and have Bois.

But ... don't count on them from being "out of production" for long if they said they are.

In the US, they are about US$160 per 0.5 oz - and no sign of running out.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Basenotes Institution

Bront82 has sampled both - he can answer this I'm sure...((yelling)...WHERE ARE YOU!!??

I am no help at all, I do not like Cuir de Russie at all.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hello David, nice to see you, I am back to Sweden again.

As for the Chanel parfums, as far as I understand the parfums are still being produced and will be sold in Europe, at least in Paris, though I know they are being pulled off the shelves in the US. The only available size will be 30ml in the future. So where did you get the information? If you heard this from the Chanel boutique in Berlin, then it's worrying news...

Remember when I was in your boutique some weeks ago? Right after that I went to the Chanel boutique, at that time they still carried the 15ml bottle of Bois des Iles (the size which is already gone in Paris and Frankfurt), so maybe the Berlin boutique still have some old stock of the Cuir de Russie left as well, then maybe you don't even have to choose, just get a 15ml bottle of each of them would solve your problem .
    Last edited by Ascella; 11th May 2008 at 09:20 AM.

Cuir de Russie doesn't last well. That's one reason why I wouldn't want to spend all that money. The other: it's a bit too floral for me, and I cannot forget that it wasn't always like that (my own experience; also check Turin's review in Le Guide Francais). Why don't you try and find the vintage Cuir de Russie of the fifties or sixties. That could keep you occupied until your alternative, a new bottle of Bois des Isles, will be used up. .
    Last edited by narcus; 11th May 2008 at 06:50 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

There's nothing to be torn about. These are two different fragrances which have been given a feminine Monroe twist by Chanel over the last 40 years, although BdI was always straddling the gender lines a bit. One is a midgets leather boot lying in a floral bed while the other is a sandalwood gingerbread chez mix. CdR is a tad too floral for me, and I like it better on women - it does get more manly in the drydown. Ditto for BdI.
    -

Hi everyone,

Is it true that the parfum version of Bois des Iles can still be found? I can't find it anywhere and I'm really disappointed! Does anyone know a reputable seller?

Quote Originally Posted by granola357 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Is it true that the parfum version of Bois des Iles can still be found? I can't find it anywhere and I'm really disappointed! Does anyone know a reputable seller?
    Hi there. This ebay seller: http://myworld.ebay.com.au/52855285randall/ has had a few bottles of Bois des Iles parfum on sale over the past few months, their feedback seems very positive, but I haven't bought with them yet (I have been outbidded on their items many times before though!).

Chanel might still make it and sell it just in Paris. If you can speak French it'd be worth calling them up. I know they still make the Cuir de Russie parfum, so chances are that they make the Bois des Iles parfum. Price would probably be around 200 euros.

I own both in extract.

Cuir de Russie is soft leather and gorgeous but honestly not big on sillage.
    Bois des Iles is big bold and kick ass aldehyde turning into kick ass sandalwood. It is big on sillage.

Go for the BdI.
    DONNA

Both parfums are available in Chanel boutiques in Paris. The prices in July 2009 were as follows:

l'Extrait CUIR DE RUSSIE de CHANEL, Flacon verre 15 ml : 136 euros
    -l'Extrait BOIS DES ILES de CHANEL, Flacon verre 15 ml : 136 euros

Basenotes Plus

I prefer Cuir de Russie to Bois des Iles. Bidding on these 2 on eBay but am pretty sure will be outbidded.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 22nd November 2009 at 05:46 PM.

Blog Entries

You can order these from the paris shopper on Ebay. Her name is Suzan Becker. I think her name is shopfranceinc. She mails it to you. It's quite handy & you know it's the french formula. (not wood alcohol).

Hi everyone, OMG, thanks so much for your helpful replies. I will get BdI from Ms. Becker or, as I'm going to be in Paris in May, get it then. Thanks so much!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Torn Between Cuir de Russie & Bois des Iles

My decision would be to get the Bois des Iles. I am not that much of a leather fan and find Cuir de Lancome satifactory for those times when I do want to experiment with it.