Code of Conduct

Default I Hate CB's I Hate Perfume

As some people know I am testing many different scents for the last couple of weeks and of course I didn't want to skip Christopher Brosius's new line: I hate Perfume.

And after reading this on his website I was totally sold:

I hate perfume.

Perfume is too often an ethereal corset trapping everyone in the same unnatural shape

A lazy and inelegant concession to fashionable ego

Too often a substitute for true allure and style

An opaque shell concealing everything – revealing nothing

A childish masque hiding the timid and unimaginative

An arrogant slap in the face from across the room

People who smell like everyone else disgust me

Perfume is a veil that reveals the soul

Perfume is the fanfare of our individuality sounding differently to everyone who listens

Perfume is a signpost to our true selves – a different journey for the brave to travel

Perfume is the weather of our inner world bringing life to a personal landscape

Perfume is an art that shows us who we can be if we dare – an invisible portrait of who we are

Perfume is discovered fully only by our lovers when we are together - naked

I encourage you to be yourself, expand yourself and please yourself

Allow yourself the luxury of your own vision

Perfume is an adventure I encourage you to explore

I love making perfume

I love being a perfumer
    I mean, you have to admit, that just sounds great!

So, I ordered many 8ML decants from the TPC and so far it has been one big disappointment!

Burning Leaves smells just like a BBQ and is totally unwearable on it's own!
    Wild Hunt is fun for a minute and actually well done IF you want to smell like some bushes. The name and story behind it is great, but so far I have found nobody who actually liked the scent!
    Gathering Apples smells far too "plastic" for my taste!
    Black March actually ain't bad and one of the few I will wear from time to time.
    Memory of Kindness...now I don't know what the fuss is about, but this smells just like Wild Hunt with small differences. Again, a great story (about his grandmothers garden..) but disappointing smell and for me it doesn't bring up any memories at all!
    Fire from Heaven is the last I have tested and is just like Black March I could see myself wearing it, but it would never be bottle-worthy!

Sorry if this has become some sort or rant, but after spending over $80 on these samples I just had to share it with you! And of course I would very much like to know your opinion!

What am I missing here, or is this line just heavily over-rated?
    Last edited by DutchSmell; 10th May 2008 at 10:35 PM.

Default Re: I Hate CB's I Hate Perfume

There'll all impressive and smell uncannily accurate, but indeed not all of them are wearable as perfume. Try things like Russian Caravan Tea and Tea/Rose, which are still unique, but are closer to being "normal" smelling perfumes and wear just fine.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSmell View Post
    So, I ordered many 8ML decants from the TPC and so far it has been one big disappointment!
    Those are some big samples!

As far as being overrated, I have yet to see anyone praise this line

but Cumming is very popular here, with good reason

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post

Ditto. They get talked about a lot but I doubt you'd find them being mentioned in the SoTD threads very often.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

I think for what they are - they are really good. They are supposed to be accurate smells meant to trigger memories and create an "experience."

I have tried 2 of his - though I got 1mL samples: Patchouli Empire and CB Musk reinvention.

I foun Musk reinvention to smell like BBQ which I didn't like (I wanted a musk perfume)

Patchouli Empire took me back to my grandmother's basement when my sister and I opened old cedar lined trunks (I suppose from the 19th century since the basement was packed with old things from the 19th century) and got faded whiffs of what I now know to be patchouli with the wood - this scent brought me back with some melancholy and nostalgia to that time. This I could not wear as I wear a typical fragrance, but I would not want to.

I absolutely love CB's work - but it isn't perfume, its more like a scent memory or scent artwork. And for me <2mL is plenty for what it is.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant - but not a perfume.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 11th May 2008 at 01:51 PM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

I tested one ml of his "Tea Rose" oil and I thought it was amazing. Having grown a lot of tea roses it definitely smelled of the real.

I went on to get a few more and wasn't real impressed but I've read reviews by people who are over the moon for his stuff.

He had another company once called Demeter. They impressed people with single note scents also.

But you asked what did you do wrong? You bought too many samples at once and weren't happy to lose that much?

Do you play poker?

I like them but I don't find a lot of them wearable- they remind me of Frank Lloyd Wright admitting that he doesn't sit on the furniture he designed since he'd been bruised so often by their angular forms. More performance art than perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I tested one ml of his "Tea Rose" oil and I thought it was amazing. Having grown a lot of tea roses it definitely smelled of the real.

I went on to get a few more and wasn't real impressed but I've read reviews by people who are over the moon for his stuff.

He had another company once called Demeter. They impressed people with single note scents also.

But you asked what did you do wrong? You bought too many samples at once and weren't happy to lose that much?

Do you play poker?
    Sir you are awesome, I even just came back from a poker tournement!

And yes I play daily, online aswell as offline!

Anyway, I think you are right, some people are really over the moon for this stuff and that's what made me expect far too much!

What do I need with a fragrance that is unwearable? Not much imo!

And yes, I am not happy that I wasted so much money, so I will definately try to sell them again. Of course with a great discount but I hope to get at least half of my money back!

Don't know about the other CB's, but I think 'Burning Leaves' is a must have. Not to wear on its own, but for layering.

It's absolutely awesome with Lomani Ignition. Also great with Chene from Lutens and Shiseido's Basala.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HughLloyd View Post
    Ditto. They get talked about a lot but I doubt you'd find them being mentioned in the SoTD threads very often.
    I beg to differ - I think CBIHP are discussed here quite in depth (both negatively and positively) - check out these threads:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=208731
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=207823
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=199899
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=199011

It sounds DutchSmell as has already been mentioned, that the CBIHP 'concept' and approach towards scents is perhaps one you're not a fan of. Which is fine (I personally, cannot stand the 'concept' behind Bond No. 9 and I avoid their scents because of this), as long as you're able to admit this is your personal choice (experience) and that it (of course) is wildly different for all of us who encounter the scents.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th May 2008 at 08:45 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

No offense, you shouldn't rant that you spent $80 when you knew darn well one smells like burning leaves, another bushes, and lastly a garden. What the hell did you expect?
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I beg to differ - I think CBIHP are discussed here quite in depth (both negatively and positively) - check out these threads:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=208731
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=207823
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=199899
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=199011

It sounds DutchSmell as has already been mentioned, that the CBIHP 'concept' and approach towards scents is perhaps one you're not a fan of. Which is fine (I personally, cannot stand the 'concept' behind Bond No. 9 and I avoid their scents because of this), as long as you're able to admit this is your personal choice (experience) and that it (of course) is wildly different for all of us who encounter the scents.
    May I ask whats wrong with Bond's concept? Although I got a Bond no. 9 avatar I have only tried Silver Factory so far but it's one of my favourite scents of all time! And the bottle looks awesome; retro and modern at the same time!

And of course I will admit the CB line is absolutely unique and an experience on its own, but for me a disappointing one!

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Philbin View Post
    No offense, you shouldn't rant that you spent $80 when you knew darn well one smells like burning leaves, another bushes, and lastly a garden. What the hell did you expect?
    No offense taken! But to be honest Burning Leaves is the only one you could guess w/o knowing it's name! And Memory of Kindness does smell just like another bushes just like Wild Hunt does. I guess I had my hopes up too high after seeing some people go over the moon for this stuff!
    Last edited by DutchSmell; 12th May 2008 at 09:27 PM.

I have put each and everyone CB scent I got on sale, if you are intrested please visit:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210124