Code of Conduct

Default Gentlemen Cologne by Castle Forbes?

Hi i,m interesed in read opinions about this fragance,any opinion?
    similars?
    thanks in advance
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gentlemen Cologne by Castle Forbes?

I have a sample of the CF Gentlemen's Cologne and a sample of the Kieg.

The complexity of the scents is really nice. Of the two, I prefer the Gentlemen's Cologne. The Kieg was too "bathroom cleaner" smelling to me.

I honestly can't recall the notes in the GC beyond the citrus start and a green middle/drydown. It did evoke the sense of inhaling heather on a highland. It strikes me as a mature fragrance - not something you'd wear out clubbing or out for a weekend brunch.

I'll sample it again tomorrow and report back. It's not offensive or bad or anything like that. I'd say it falls squarely between the citrusy Keig and the spicy Oreintal Lonach.

I've contemplated getting a CF fragrance and it's not completely out of the question. The samples haven't been exciting enough for me to get a bottle. Could be because they are sampled (decanted from a spray bottle I believe). It's an instance where I haven't taken the leap of faith for some reason. Maybe the USD$112 price tag.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Blog Entries

OK. Here's my brief review - first day of wearing it in about a month but no real difference from my first impressions. It's something I would love to like, yet don't:

Iíve been wearing it about 9 hours at this point. It seems that CF Gentlemenís Cologne just has too much going on Ė it seems to want to be all things. It's neither muddy nor unpleasant. But itís not unified or harmonious, either.

The topnotes are definitely citrus (I get bergamot and neroli; maybe some petitgrain Ė kind of a greenishness to the citrus). The citrus notes last for about an hour and fade down into a green middle. Oakmoss and some lavender, but a ďpineyĒ kind of lavender.

There are still notes of citrus for a fairly pleasant chypre. But itís not an elegant chypre. It kind of bounces around the middle notes Ė sometimes more green/mossy than floral; other times itís more floral. There were a couple of times that it smelled like a very feminine floral.

The drydown. Oh my! The drydown. After about six hours of the middle notes, the drydown comes across as spicy/woody. It seems to go back and forth between cedar and cinnamon. I will say that the cedar in this frag is excellent. The few times I get a whiff of it. For the past hour, it has been mostly cinnamon and maybe cardamom.

Sillage is good Ė thereís a potency and depth to it thatís not overpowering. An application to the wrists/hands has been plenty. It doesnít have heavy projection, so itís not bugging the folks down the hall.

The thing about this fragrance, for me, is that thereís just too much going on. I donít like one-note fragrances, but I donít enjoy things this complex. A citrus/chypre? Sure. A chypre/woody? Sure. A woody/oriental? Sure. But all three in one scent??? Uh uh.

Overall, the individual notes in this frag are excellent, yet it creates ambivalence: I like the different notes tremendously, yet am not overwhelmed or impressed by how they play together. It plays more like an orchestra at an early, partially-hungover rehearsal than a world class orchestral performance led by a maestro. Maybe thatís it! There seems to be no maestro to this concoction.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

thanks for the info
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89